Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1950 Lincoln Cosmopolitan

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    Yeah, I guess those HUGE, THICK frames were still pretty strong even after being cut!

Ignore the troublemakers, they always go away when ignored!
  • Ignore the troublemakers, they always go away when ignored!

Yup notice we haven't seen that particular new trouble maker on the sales side of the boards lately?
  • I'm on the older side myself, but had to look up some pix on google. Cool looking car - maybe consider converting to 12V? :D
    So, why don't you go there and STAY there instead of coming here and causing trouble in a peaceful forum?
    Why do that? Those 6 volt systems work just fine given the light demands those cars had.
    Well, maybe YOU will get sick of similar conversations with yourself and move on.

You could have suggested that site in a friendly manner.
  • Two posts were removed for rules violations.

Please continue your discussion!

MrShiftright
    Host
  • Nah, I gave good advice to check the most popular old car discussion board on the internet, not a warm hug.

Smithy's mufflers and flatheads are discussed there everyday--about 15 of the first 20 posts here were from him and responding to himself so I figured he might a place where he can get some interaction on his topic.

If good advice upsets people, I think that is more their problem than mine. I do appreciate your advice and value it as much as I paid for it.
  • next time just give the advice without the jabs to the ribs and we will appreciate you more.

I think if he builds a Carspace page he'll have an easier time sharing photos and data with us and with other forums. As he progresses on the car, we can follow along.

I'm always interesting in the choices people make during restoration.
  • Hey folks,
    We just got this lincoln in our shop to restore. Don't know much about it and need much help. Right now I need rocker panels and don't know where to find them. Can anyone help? Thanks :confuse:
  • dodgeazdodgeaz Posts: 4
    i just joined and was reading the posts from cosmo 1950 what happened why did he stop or have i not found the right spot also would like to find the pix he posted can someone tell me where to look or did he set up his own carspace sight
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    No haven't seen cosmo for quite a while. You might click on his highlighted name in one of his posts and if a public e-mail shows up, drop him a line.
  • dodgeazdodgeaz Posts: 4
    i have recently purchased the same car he was talking about and would like to find some of the places he was able to find parts for his beauty the one i picked up is in good shape no body damage no broken glass or lenses has some surface rust and will start when i put a battery and gas in it so if you happen to see or hear from him i would appreciate if you could tell him i was asking or even if you happen to know where i can find the parts i will need to restore to factory i thank you
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,633
    First place I'd look is between the covers of the latest issue of Hemmings Motor News. They also publish a resource catalog for vintage parts.

If you hunt and are persistent, you can find almost any part.
  • Just joined, and noticed that one post was talking about how his/her dad had a 1950 Lincoln Cosmo 4-door and he loved the car, and is the reason he bought one. My fascination is the same: My dad had a 1950 Cosmo 2-door convertible in sky blue with a white top, white tuck'n'roll interior, and penstriping. I loved that car! It always attracted attention wherever we went, and cruised down the highway like a sweet ride at 80+mph. I was really sad when he sold it.

A second one was owned by my grandfather, a '50 Cosmo 4-door black sedan. I told both he and my uncle that I wanted it if he sold it, but it ended up with the heating oil deliveryman before I found out he was selling it.

Right now we don't have any spare cash for a project car, but given my druthers it will be the car I have someday. Being in the Willamette Valley in Oregon where it rains quite a bit, I'd opt for the 4-door sedan as I love the suicide back doors - and my daughter could have her own door.

Anybody else care to share?
  • That won't be an easy car to find but I'm sure they are out there and probably reasonably priced, too. Do you know any major differences between that model and the equivalent Mercury?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    From a Google site...

]
    "Lincoln Tries to Find Its Way: 1949-1960

The party was over. The pent-up demand for cars after W.W.II had been fairly well supplied by 1948. Up until then, any warmed-over pre-war model was quite acceptable. But the normal laws of economics dictated that once this demand had been met, the various players would actually have to compete against one another. This meant new products. Lincoln answered the challenge with an entirely new car for the 1949 model year, first offering it for sale in April, 1948.

1950 Lincoln:

Two models were produced. The Lincoln, with a wheelbase of 121 inches, and weighing about 4000 lbs, cost $2575 for the door. The upscale Cosmopolitan rode a wheelbase of 125 inches, weighed about 4200 lbs, and was priced at $3238 in the door style. Both cars were powered with Lincoln's all-new flathead V8 of 337ci. At 152 horsepower it was about equal to Cadillac's 160. But it was not an overhead valve engine and would only last 3 years. Initially only a 3 speed manual transmission with optional overdrive was available. Later in the year the GM Hydramatic would be an option."

From another site I found that the '49-'51 Ford V8 was 239 c.i. and put out 100 hp, while the Mercury engine from that same period displaced 255 c.i. and generated 110 hp for '49 and '50, and 112 for '51.

They can certainly sound more powerful with glasspacks.
  • The Mercury was smaller and less powerful, as noted above. The "regular" Lincoln is referred by many as the "baby Lincoln" as it was the same body style as a Mercury with the Lincoln nose on it, while the Cosmo was the full-blown Lincoln.

From "Lincoln The Gold Portfolio: 1949-1960" here are the specs they give:

1949 Cosmo 4-door sedan weighed 4,527 pounds and sold for $3,238 while the most expensive and heavy was the convertible at 4,717 and $3,948. The 337 cu. in. V-8, the first V-8 in a Lincoln since 1932, was rated at 160HP, and was both the biggest engine Ford had ever built and the biggest production engine on the market. The regular Lincoln and the Mercury shared the 7-A body while the Cosmo was a different body style. The 337 cu. in. V-8 was an adapted truck motor.

If you can find this book, it goes into quite a bit of detail on the design and numerous changes for the 49-51 Lincolns, especially the Cosmo. The ISBN number is 1-85520-0163 and was printed in Hong Kong, but was distributed by Motorbooks International in Osceola, Wisconsin 54020. Inside the back cover it gives the phone number for Motorbooks International as (715)294-3345. If this doesn't work, the British side is listed for direct orders as:

Brookland Book Distribution
    Holmerise,
    Seven HIlls Road, Cobham, Surrey
    KT11 1ES,
    England

It's sad tha the Cosmo was dropped after only three years and is pretty much relegated to the shadows of automotive history. It is a beautiful car and in many ways a trailblazer in design.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,118
    "It is a beautiful car and in many ways a trailblazer in design."

In which ways was the Cosmopolitan a trailblazer in design? I ask because it seems to me that the Cosmo was more or less on a par with the other '49-'51 Ford Motor Company models, and maybe less trail blazing than, say, the Cadillacs of those years. That doesn't diminish my liking of the '49-'51 Fords, Mercs and Lincolns. They were neat cars.
  • I'd have to say the '49 Ford was much more of a trailblazer. The Lincoln strikes me more 40s than 50s, but the Ford had that simple, clean stand-up quality that predates the 55-56 Chevys, rather than the "blob" shape that characterizes most late 40s cars.

What makes some of those Lincolns and Mercurys so popular is how well they take to being lowered, chopped, shaved, frenched, etc.

Generally speaking a trailblazing design is not apt to be heavily modified in the body shape (as a rule), since you can't do a lot to improve it. Engines, paintwork, etc are a different thing.