Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Prius Interior & Passenger Comfort Issues

2»

Comments

• tommtomm Posts: 31
    I fit my fold-up golf cart, BIG shoe bag, and full set of golf clubs (hats on top) - there is plenty of room in the Prius - BEHIND the back seats. Only issue for the dog is safety ..;)
  • If I may add my 2 cent's worth, I'd like to point out that I have 2 dogs (1-65 lbs & 1-100 lbs). When riding with the dogs we usually put both Rr seat backrests down but when one other occupant is necessary we put down the wider passenger side down for the dogs. As to using the back only for a 50 lb dog, remember it gets pretty hot in the back with direct sunlight. I really recommend one side down though.
    P.S. I also recommend an old twin fitted sheet for coverage and protection from dirty dogs with both Rr seats down. It fits really well. Try it.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,807
    Our black lab never travels in our hatchback unless he's in his dog crate. If it's just one or two of us travelling with him, I slide the crate in the back seat. If it's all three of us, the split fold down seat does the job.

But I'd never transport a dog that wasn't in a crate. Better for the dog, better for the car interior.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Long story short, I used a windshield cover, rip stop nylon, during the last ice storm. Well, it was rain and it rained. The cover wicked in water and things got soaked. I was able to clean and dry the passenger side; removed mat under the liner and dried everything. The driver side....I can not remove the cable release for the gas cap door. I have taken off the screw, but is does not move - I can not get under the mat without removing that. Ideas? Thanks.
  • If this was me, I'd call the dealer before I made things worse.

I'm glad to read your post. Sorry for your problem. I've been covering my car with 2 tarps keeping snow and ice off. I'm glad I did not do what you did though it sounds simpler. Good luck!
  • I bought this windshield cover at WalMart, this was not something I did on my own. It covers the windshield and has a flap on each end with a suction cup to attach on the inside of the windshield to keep it in place. The door gaskets must be crap; for a thin piece of nylon to allow water to run in thru the gaskets like that. But, I still need to know how to remove that gas door release... Thanks.
  • I read your posts on the other forum. Isn't there a link on how to do things? You've posted there so someone should have mentioned it. Is there a Prius manual perhaps at the dealer? Good luck and post here or there if you get it figured out.

Thanks again about what you did. If I'd seen it in Walmart, I probably would have picked it up.
  • whitey9whitey9 Posts: 138
    Sounds like BS to me. Maybe I should be more concerned about monkees flying out of my butt.
    Mine is just like yours. It must be reset every time. Just like the nav system "accept", and the cruise control system.
    What I DON'T like is the creaking/groaning of the fresh air/recirc flap whenever it moves from one to the other position.
    I am afraid to take it to my dealer due to the "over their heads" experience I had with the headlight bulb.
    Arlington, TX.
    I might consider smaller dogs. Yorkies perhaps.
    I expect your sunroof addition will be a hellish one. The roof panel is not configured
    for a "normal" sunroof. There are aerodynamic beads running the length of the roof that may interfere with any addition.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The Gen 2 Prius' all have Auto Climate Control ( ACC ). This system is the same in all Toyota's with ACC..essentially it means set the temp to the desired level, touch 'Auto A/C' and forget it.

After a warmup or cool down period the system will test the interior air temp continually and adjust the heat or cooling to maintain the temp set by the operator.
  • foxwalkerfoxwalker Posts: 14
    I don't get any creaking/groaning during the change, that is the problem, I don't even notice it changed over until I smell skunk or someother bad road smell. I am sorry about your dealer issue. I have been very pleased with my dealer.

But this issue for me is not actually a fault, but a design "feature". The issue is a basic flaw of all highly automated systems, fine most of the time, but sometimes it will make choices the user does not agree with. Unfortunately in this case I do not believe there is any way to go 100% manual. After over a year I have not found an answer to this one.
    I know why you have a complaint. In winter, I have to sniff others' tailpipes until I set the climate control to recirc. In summer the gym sock odor comes thru during the nightime.
    Perhaps Toyota will come up with a sensor that recognizes malodorous air and takes care of it automatically.
    I know that Mercedes-Benz has a "pollution" sensor on their climate control, but there is still a problem with the gym sock odor due to the heater/ac case being
    designed to allow condensation water to sit and "brew".
    100% manual or 100% recirc is not an option. Especially when the heater is in use.
    100% manual defeats the design feature of the Automatic Climate Control.
    100% recirc is not allowed since too much recirc air causes drowsiness.
  • I think your dog would fit,but where would you put your luggage?
    A crate on the other hand would not,not without folding the larger of the back seat sections.
  • trailrunztrailrunz Posts: 8
    Question for all current Prius owners:

I have been searching and searching for a new car based on a new career in sales where I will spend a lot of time on the road. I posted a question in a different section about cars with comfortable driver's seats, but I would like to hear about the Prius from Prius owners.

I will be driving between 30-40k/year and I'm fairly tall (6'3''). I test drove a Prius today and loved the car, but didn't have that "ahhhh" feeling in the driver's seat (BUT, it is hard to judge a car based on a "drive around the block" test drive).

I'm concerned because the Edmund's review of the Prius stated it has an "awkward driving position" but maybe this has nothing to do with the actual seat. Anyone care to share their satisfaction with the comfort level of the Prius?

Thanks!
  • unkedsunkeds Posts: 1
    At 6'3" you will be probably be faced with a dilemma. If you get in the Prius, and adjust the seat height and distance from the pedals to your liking, and then reach out for the steering wheel, it's going to be too far away. You will then have to compromise your seating position comfort to reach the steering wheel with any degree of comfort.

It creates a arms extended driving position for most tall drivers. This is probably the main reason the reviews mention a seating problem,. The seat itself isn't too bad, though it's pretty firm and short cushioned. And it does not have an angle adjustment.

Definitely a try before you buy situation.
2»