Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lleicklleick Posts: 2
    Is it possible to remove key while driving?
  • lleicklleick Posts: 2
    When was the key interlock system introduced on Mitsubishi Monteros? Can a key be pulled out while driving?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You should not be able to remove the key if the vehicle is not in park. Even if you could do it, removing the key while driving is both dangerous and illegal.

I came across an article about a Mitsubishi recall concerning the interlock system that you may find informative though it's not specifically about the Montero.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Recently had my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2001 monterro sport. A couple days ago I was driving home from work and heard a horrible screaming noise from my engine! The power steering immediately went out so I knew it had to be a belt issue. Pulled over the car, called the boyfriend, and had him drive it home. The next day I saw one of the pulley's laying on the metal plate that covers the bottom front of the car. Contacted a few people and was told that it's a known issue with the vehicle.
    Is this true???? I've looked all over this site and haven't seen anything about issues with pulleys here. :( Help please?

• mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Posts: 161
    Sounds like a pully locked up and broke your belt. There are many pullys including the new water pump. You didn't state which pully, possibly a tensioner pully. You need to have it checked out to find out what broke or came loose. Mechanics do sometimes leave things loose. Haven't heard of a problem with your vehicle on pullys. They do go bad when the bearings get old. If you have near 100k miles or more, you are definitely due.
  • Yeah.....the belt never broke tho! And my guy says that it was a tensioner.....hmmmm....
  • I have an identical problem and ready to purchase MR532787. Dealer wants $230. Does anyone know the place that would sale it cheaper?
  • My 1994 Montero 3.5L overheats quickly after about 1/2 mile driving but not at idle. After replacing the thermostat if the problem persists, how difficult is it to replace the water pump/timing belt? Or are there other easier to fix problems that might be going on? The radiator is clean and the coolant topped up.
  • Where is the fill valve for the A/C refrigerant on a 1994 Montero 3.5L? Do it take 134a?
  • How do you know if it really overheats? Does your gauge shows overheating? It could be a problem with a (1) gauge sensor, (2) gauge itself (less likely), (3) temp sensor. Incidentally, neither fixed my problem which now points to (4) circuit board located at the back of the instrument control cluster panel. It will be determined tomorrow at the cost of $95 by the dealer if its in fact faulty. If it is, it will be replaced at god-knows-how-much cost. But they promised the $95 check up fee will go toward the replacement. By the way, I still have a brand new gauge that I will sell to you if that's the problem. It costs $129 at the dealer and I will sell for $80 (inlcuding shipping). It fits 2000-2002 Montero Limited.
  • The gauge does show overheating and the motor is unusually hot so I don't think it is in the electronics. I'll have to replace the water pump and timing belt.
  • cinnscinns Posts: 4
    Hey ya.

We just bought a 2001 Monetro Sport LS, and the Service Engine Soon light came on. A trip to Auto Zone said it was a "P1751 A/T Control Relay" code. I am assuming that is the A/T relay that controls the A/T feature to start the transmission in second gear for slippery road conditions.

My question, if anyone can help me, is where can I find this relay and is it possible to change out myself without a very costly trip to a dealer? The guy at Auto Zone had no idea what it was or meant and referred me to a transmission place that wants to charge $1600 to rebuild the entire transmission. Ummmm yea.... NO! Not if it is just a relay switch that can hopefully be replaced.

So if anyone has any knowledge in this area, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
    Cinns
  • musi_ocimusi_oci Posts: 8
    Hi, I have 2001 Mitsubishi Montero with Infinity sound system. I would like to connect my iPod to the OEM CD-player. Can somebody help me with this issue? Thank you very much.
  • danyeladanyela Posts: 1
    i recently had to change my alternator and battery when it was done the radio was not working....but instead of it saying enter code it says off.......none of the buttons will work to get it back to enter code....PLEASE help
    Turn the key to ACC or On and then turn the radio on where it says "Off" again. Leave it for an hour untouched and it will shut off by itself. When you turn it back on, it will say CODE again.
  • We had some gentlemen try to fold up the middle seat so as to put in cargo, and now the levers are straight down and the seats are straight up, making it extremely unpleasant to sit in the seat. Apparently, our seats do not fold up, the levers are stuck straight down, it would seem this would be something we should be able to fix ourselves, anyone know how?
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    There is a lever on the back of each outboard rear seat. Pull up on that lever and that should release the seat backs. That lever should be used when folding the seats forward. The levers at the bottom/side of the second row seats is for adjusting the seatback angle only. Hope this helps.
    Fixed the problem. I am posting this in case someone else has this trouble and needs help like I did.

I went to the local dealer and bought the A/T Control Relay for $25. They had to have it shipped, but it arrived in 3 days. The guy at the parts counter helped me locate the relay and gave me a computer printout of the general area where it was. The relay was located under the passengers side dash... behind the kickplate as they call it.

So... I plugged in the new one and all seems well. My Montero shift like it is supposed to and is not stuck in safety gear anymore. Hopefully it will stay that way, but for now I fixed it for a mere 25 bucks. So anyone that gets a P1751 error code... all you probably need is an electronic relay.... not a new transmission. lol

Oh yea... once I pulled teh old relay off... I could see corrosion on the wire pins and what looked to be rust as well. Wonder how that happened and if any more relays are damaged too.

Anyway... good luck to anyone else that has the problem I did.
  • Just picked up a 1996 Montero with a 3.5L V6, and am looking for a decent manual for minor repairs. Local Mitsy dealer wants $180, so that is out of the question. Checked both Chilton and Haines, who list manuals up to 1995, but not 1996. Is there an aftermarket manual that covers the '96 models available? I understand that this generation of Montero/Pajero was made from 1992-2000 (model years) and my version was offered from 1994-1996. Are there any significant differences that would allow me to get by with a manual covering 1995?

One additional question regarding code readers: standard ODB II for this year?

Thanks in advance!