Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I replaced the battery on my 2000 Montero Sport. When I put the new battery in, nothing works, no lights, no radio, and when I turn the ignition key nothing happens.

I checked the alternator fuse (100 amp)and it is good. The cables check ok, and the battery is putting out 12.9 volts. The only other thing I can think of is the battery relay. Any others have a similar problem?
  • I replaced my battery everytime i opened the door the alarm would go off. When I finally got the alarm to stop it would not start at all. what should I try next.
  • Ladies and Gents:

I am new to this forum, as I just picked up a 2001 XLS 4WD. I drove it off the lot at 12:00 this afternoon. I took a 10 mile drive to the local hospital for an appointment for one of my kids, and when I backed out of the parking stall two hours later , I am now having the same problem that everyone here is describing. Sidenote: the four wheel drive was not even touched today. It had only been tried out during the test drive, with no problems, of course. In fact, the car was flawless during the test drive :confuse:
    I am presuming that I am having the same problem as everyone else. I did notice, though, that I am only getting noise from the right front side, so I'm guessing that maybe that is hub that is hanging up? And, can you clean out those hubs by taking it to one of those self - service car washes and spraying the living crap out of the hubs and associated parts? I am really concerned about making the problem worse, to the point that I am afraid to drive the vehicle to a Mitsubishi dealer. (I wish I'd bought the car from a Mitsu. dealership now) I am not very mechanically inclined at all, so I am forced to deal with mechanics and/or dealerships on all of my car issues. If anybody is in the Salt Lake area, and can recommend a good Montero mechanic, I could sure use one. Thank you all in advance for replies.
  • prs4prs4 Posts: 1
    I ran into the same problem on my '01. I removed the same bolts/screws and the assembly wouldn't budge. I started to pry the black trim from around the headlight assembly but didn't want to break anything. I had 2 mechanics look at it and they couldn't figure it out either. I'll be damned if I have to take it to a dealer to change a friggin bulb.
  • I too am having the same problem with my mirrors. What did you find out?
  • I am sorry to tell you that there is no way to get that code without taking to the dealership. they say that they need to get the serial number from the radio. I had to pay 50.00 from the dealer to get it and they did say that they had to take the dash apart to get to the serial number and they did not. you only get 3 times before it errors out and switches to off. I find it hard to believe that there is no way to get tht for free even BMW gives it for free.. you can try the code that I was given maybe by some chance goes by the year of the car my code is 4647 them press tape and see if that works.. good luck to you..
  • okay so it is my fault was running late to work and the gas was low thought I had enough to make it there and then have to get gas right after, light had not come on.. I got on the freeway and started to sputter no were to pull over and or get off for like 3 miles.. kept in the far right with flashers on and kept the peddle down when got to an exit I had to stop at the light and the car died with battery too.. got gas in it and charged it drove about 5 miles and battery seemed to be charged. I left the lights on at the dr's office for about 2 hours needed to get a jump again and did not seem to want to stay running had to keep the gas and the break down at the same time at a stop finally 5-8 miles later it was fine. again I left the lights on all day while at work and had to get a jump only this time the car will not stay on when at a stop had to keep the foot on the gas and the break to stay stopped and this time the check engine late stays on when the battery died the first time the chime to alert me the lights are on or door open does not work and fuses seem fine too :cry: .. any clues??????
  • I took my radio out myself. It wasn't that hard only a couple of screws on front and some minor otherones and I slid the radio out far enough to read the code
  • bd123bd123 Posts: 1
    I just recently started having problems with my 2001 montero sport. It acts like the alternator, but it checks good as does the battery. It will start fine and run good until all the sudden the radio cuts out the lights go out and then the engine dies. As soon as you boost it off it will start, and it is good for another little while until it acts up again. It is very unpredictable. Anybody got any ideas? Is there a sensor or something that could be going bad?
  • I think you are going to love this update. I drove the vehicle down to my local dealer to have them take a look. Three weeks later, I came out with a rebuilt transfer case. Apparently the previous owner was not very nice to it. DO NOT IGNORE THIS PROBLEM WITH YOUR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE!!!! It may not be your xfer case, but if it is, you're hosed. So, now it's back again at the dealership with transmission problems. I'm about ready to drive it off a cliff! :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • im having the same problem with my 01 Montero Sport. I was taking out the front panel to get the the back of the AC Adapter and while unscrewing the Radio i lost power, and now need the security code to start it up again.

So the code should be on the back of the radio?

I hope cause the dealership will charge me 77.00$
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,013
    Sometimes the code is on the top front of the radio and you only have to slide the radio out a little. And sometimes just removing the bezel around the radio will expose the code (not sure about the Mitsus).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• usairfousairfo Posts: 5
    The Dealer just replaced a fuse. Although I do not know which one they replaced.
  • troybeartroybear Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to this forum and have a few questions about some problems I am having with my 2000 Montero Sport XLS truck. I remembered that sometime in the last couple of weeks, I had a problem with my cruise control. I would set the speed and a short time later it would cut-off, and then not work at all. Almost at the exact moment, I noticed that my speedometer started to fluctuate all over the dial and then it would die. I'd have no idea what MPH I am traveling. (I also notice the the odometer stopped working too). The next day, everything seemed to be working fine. These exact symptoms happen each time I tried to use my cruise control. Any ideas what could be the problem? Yesterday, while driving, I stopped at a store and when I tried to re-start my car all I got was a clicking sound. I've had no problems with it starting before, and after looking at some acid built-up on the terminals I thought it was my battery, I got a jump from someone and it started right up. Later when I got home, I turned off the motor and tried to start it again, it did not start. This morning, the battery was so dead, I couldn't get the keyless entry to unlock the doors. I also tried getting a jump start and that didn't work. Now I am wondering if all these little troubles might have a big common problem? :sick: I'd appreciate your thoughts on this matter. Thanks, Troybear
  • Hi,

About a week ago, my trucks battery was disconnected when we wanted to put a new battery. As a result, the radio locked up. Not knowing that we had the code, my brother randomly punched in codes. After about 3 tries, the radio started displaying "OFF".

My question is, how do I get the radio back to a state where its ready to accept the 4 digit code?

Thanks for helping.

autobuyer1.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,013
    You can try the Honda method if you want something to keep you occupied until a Mitsu owner or tech lets everyone in on the secret:

How to restart a Honda stereo that has lost its code

Anyone know the Mitsu way?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hickz07hickz07 Posts: 1
    I own a 1990 mitsubushi montero v6 4wd automatic. When im going 55 im running like 3 grand when i should be running 2 or a little above. I'm wasting lots of gas this way so if anyone has any solutions please fill me in.
  • kimberlylkimberlyl Posts: 1
    I have been having issues with a rough idle on my '95 Montero. I had my entire fuel injection system cleaned out & replaced the fuel filter several days ago. This fixed the sitting idle. However, it is still jerking when I'm accelerating and trying to get past 200rpm (it smooths out once I get past it). I failed my smog emissions test last week too b/c of this. The tech said that it was testing too "rich". Could this be my timing? spark plugs? I'm a starving student & appreciate any help/info! Thanks, Kimberly
    :cry:

1995 Mitsubishi Montero
    142K miles
    3.0L engine, 6cyl
  • jfedorjfedor Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same vehical, same problems, did, you ever get your fixed, if so what did it turn out to be?

Thanks,

Joe/San Jose
  • jasonb1jasonb1 Posts: 3
    my 1989 mitsubishi montero will not start after i replace the head gaskets.

spark plugs are good and wires to
    i also have spark but it seem like its not fireing..

can anyone help??
  • vunico1vunico1 Posts: 1
    The breaks on Montero's, from what i've read and experienced, wear out very fast. I want to increase my breaking power and hopefully, increase the life of my pads.

Two questions:

Will larger aftermarket breaks increase break life (i'm pretty sure they would increase breaking power)?

Does anyone have any recommendations for after market breaks or websites where I can get breaks for my 03 Montero?

Any information is very much appreciated!

m.

PS - i love my monty
  • mujmanmujman Posts: 29
    As I have just put in a DVD player in my 2004 montero by CircuitCity which required to install a RF antenna, I saw the Radio/CD removal process. You have take the screws from top of the plastic/wood cover and pull/pry out the plastic ( wooden texture) portion on top of the radio with a flat screw driver carefully so that you do not scratch it. Then simply remove 2 bolts ( or 4 bolts, I do not remember) are holding the radio. Disconnect the Antenna connection from the back and the power connection. It's very easy as long as you can take the top cover off carefully. You may have to unscrew the Airconditioning unit and simply put screw it back to remove the radio.
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    Are you gonna do it yourself or have a local shop do the brake upgrade? A local shop can give you tons of free info. Amazingly, autozone.com has a great do it your self section.

I assume that you are planning to increase rotor size as well.

A few sites of interest are:
    autopartswarehouse.com
    tirerack.com
    ebcbrakes.com

My wife's 04 received new brake pads last month with 30K on the odometer. I had the work done a local shop and had the pads upgraded to a "lifetime ceramic pad" because of how quickly the Monty eats them. Basically, they replace the pads for the life of the vehicle at no additional charge. Of course, I'll have to pay for having the rotors resurfaced (or replaced) when needed.

good luck
  • curt56curt56 Posts: 1
    I need to change the oil pump on my 97 montero sport and am wondering how difficult it will be.
    thanks

dealer wants 950.00
  • ruddneckruddneck Posts: 23
    Have you had your oxygen sensors checked or replaced?
  • 96montero96montero Posts: 1
    The driver’s side power window on my 96 Montero has started to act erratically. It is down now, and won’t go back up. Could be the switch obviously, but also seems like there may be some adjustment inside the door that limits or controls its range. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, the switch looks like one block, do I have to replace the whole block? Where is best place to get one? Thanks!
  • unit319unit319 Posts: 2
    So what was the answer to your question on the radio. Does disconnecting the antenna and and power supply and pulling the radio out do the trick. or is there something else you have to do to reset the radio from the "Off" back to the "code screen so I can try to re-enter the correct code.
  • unit319unit319 Posts: 2
    HOW TO GET THE "OFF" THAT IS DISPLAYED ON THE RADIO AFTER YOU HAVE ENTER THE CODE WRONG 3 TIMES AND BACK TO THE "CODE" DISPLAY. THE ANSWER I FOUND WAS AT THIS SITE. I DO NOT REMEMBER WHO POSTED THE ANSWER BUT IT WORKED. YOU TURN THE IGNITION KEY TO AUX POSITION AND TURN THE RADIO ON. LEAVE BOTH ON FOR APPROXIMATELY AN HOUR AND THE RADIO WILL RESET FROM THE "OFF" TO "CODE" DISPLAY. HOWEVER I DID NOT FIND THE CODE ON THE BACK OR TOP OF MY RADIO. THE OWNERS MANUAL SAID THERE SHOULD BE 2 CARDS THAT COME WITH THE VEHICLE AND THEY HAVE THE CODE FOR THE RADIO ON THEM. IF YOU Don't HAVE THOSE CARDS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CONTACT A DEALERSHIP AND THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET YOUR ODE FOR YOUR VEHICLE. I WAS LUCKY I FOUND MY CARDS.
  • dannyprodannypro Posts: 1
    We replaced the battery on our monty and cant find the owners manual with the radio code.
    Called mitsubishi and they said to get the serial and part # on the back of radio.
    Does anyone know how to get the radio/cd player out of the 01 montero sport.
    I am not a mechanic and dont want to screw it up as my wife drives it and she has been without music for 2 weeks
    Not good in Nashville.
    Thanks
    Danny in Nashville
  • pwinn1pwinn1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Yukon Denali. The drivers side window rattles when it is 1/2 way down. Any suggestions?