Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pwinn1pwinn1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Yukon Denali. When I excelerate, it seems very loud. Any suggestions?
  • I have a '01 montero sport and I love it. It has over 90000 miles on it. Last time I had a full maintainance done was in 2004 and they didn't change the timebelt (for cost purposes). I am a graduate student and $$ is little low. The montero has been making some strange noise when I reverse, it's the breaks!! I took it to the shop and I was quoted an extremely high price. How hard is it to change the rotor and the breaks yourself? what is the muscle power and time commitment (for an average female)? I changed oil a couple of years back with my dad.
  • mujmanmujman Posts: 29
    Check this link below for CD changer -

https://www.mitsubishiparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/25_37/products_id/125/osC- sid/011c50ad5684abe4e867225cde56caf4
  • hbuhbu Posts: 1
    Got the same story "replace 4 solenoids". I had my dealer replace just the freewheel solenoid and this cured the flashing light problem. Thanks for your information.
  • I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport. It has a 109000 miles on it and i love it, i just have these 2 problems with it but i dont know what they are, the first one is that everytime i just drive my car a little bit down the road, this burning smell comes from the engine, no smoke its just a burning smell. ANNYY CLUE WHAT IT COULD BEEEE..also when im driving down the road i can here a slight grinding noise from my left front tire..ANNYYYYYY ANSWERSSS WOULD BE HELPFULLLLLLLLLLL
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    You most likely have a cam seal oil leak. they are located on the back of the engine head. Hard to see. Need to fix.

The grinding noise on the front wheel could be a disc brake issue or front axle hub bearing.
  • Thank your for that information, i figured i had a oil leak bc it smells like burning oil, why do i need to fix that, will that cause my oil to drain out faster?
    Oil leaking from the head could cause a fire, if engine gets extremely warm or oil drips onto exhaust. Also, others have reported other parts failing due to oil getting on them. Alternator for example.
  • Oh okay thank you so much for the information, i plan on getting rid of it in the next couple months because i want something better on gas, so im not going to bother getting it fixed. I plan on getting the 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Thank you for all the help
  • Recently my montero sport 2001 has been running funny when i first start it up, its sputtering and shaking, any idea what this could be??
  • nthenthe Posts: 414
    i have the same problem with a 2001 montero sport. i am trying to change the fuse, but can't find the correct fuse box. the manual shows that 2 fuse boxes in the passenger compartment, and the fuse that i need to get to is in the box i can't find. Or if anyone can tell me where the correct fuse is, that might be easier. Thanks for the help.
  • On my 2001 Montero Sport, there is a button calle A/T Mode. Does anyone no what this button means or does or what is it for?? when i push it alls it says is HOLD. What does this button do??
    It starts the transmission in 2nd gear. For icy,snowy, slick road conditions.
  • weldweld Posts: 1
    under the fender cover
  • gfwynngfwynn Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Montero Sport and had to replace the battery. I have the code to restart my radio but do not know how to enter it. Any suggestions?
    mujman, did you ever get an answer to your problem? I have the same problem and can't figure out how to enter the code. I need help because it is just tooo quiet in my car! Thanks, gwynn
  • mujmanmujman Posts: 29
    Hey gfwynn - I think my name came up mistakenly as I own a Montero Limited not a Montero Sport. But fixing the radio problem can be same- this is what you have to do for Montero Limited Radio fix - it may work for your car as well -
    Some radio codes are on top of the radio, and can be seen by removing the fascia trim (aka bezel) surrounding the radio - often you can read the number without having to pull the radio out at all. Usually the surrounds pop off with a butter knife and removing some screws from the fascia.
    Thanks! I was able to get the radio going and it is sooo nice to have music! I appreciate your response. I was at my wits end trying to figure this out. Thank you! :shades:
  • 6731 is the code
  • Try using the numbered buttons to enter 6731, then press AM/FM...it should come right on. You can also take the radio out and get the serial numbers, call a dealership and they will give you a code.
  • I need a radio code for a 1999 montero sports utility. The radio is mounted in the dashboard. The radio is not working because it needs a code to unlock it, can somebody please help me with this?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hey, i am having troubles with my radio as well..... is 6731 a standard code????
  • Most likely when the timing belt failed, it bent some valves. Check the compression in each cylinder, must be above 100psi in each cylinder in order to run. I'm assuming that you have already checked your alignment marks on everthing with the #1 cylinder at TDC. If you have a zero compression reading in any cylinder, yup....you probably bent some valves.
  • If the engine is running ritch, check your air filter first to see if it is clogged. If not, my guess would be a bad TPS (throtle positioning sensor) causing the staggering as you acelerate. This will also cause high emissions by not alowwing a smooth acceleration. If you need to know how to check it, let me know. Good luck
  • Sounds like the suspension isn't supporting the vehicle like it used to. You might try some "helper springs" at jcwhitney...$29. thats cheeper than replacing suspension parts. And it usally solves the problem. Good luck
  • the tranny works fine in forward but has no reverse is there a sensor that could be bad it acts as if it not even tring to go into gear
  • I think I have a dead squirrel inside the fan enclosure. Therefore I need to know how to take it apart in order to get that thing dead out of my system.
    Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.
  • How do you reset the computer on a 1996 mitsubishi montero after replacing throttle positioning sensor
  • You should be able to reset the PCM by disconecting the negative cable to the battery. There is a chance you may have to use a scan tool on that year, I can't remember. If you do, Autozone has loan a tool so you can do it.