Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I need a radio code for a 1999 montero sports utility. The radio is mounted in the dashboard. The radio is not working because it needs a code to unlock it, can somebody please help me with this?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• hey, i am having troubles with my radio as well..... is 6731 a standard code????
  • Most likely when the timing belt failed, it bent some valves. Check the compression in each cylinder, must be above 100psi in each cylinder in order to run. I'm assuming that you have already checked your alignment marks on everthing with the #1 cylinder at TDC. If you have a zero compression reading in any cylinder, yup....you probably bent some valves.
  • If the engine is running ritch, check your air filter first to see if it is clogged. If not, my guess would be a bad TPS (throtle positioning sensor) causing the staggering as you acelerate. This will also cause high emissions by not alowwing a smooth acceleration. If you need to know how to check it, let me know. Good luck
  • Sounds like the suspension isn't supporting the vehicle like it used to. You might try some "helper springs" at jcwhitney...$29. thats cheeper than replacing suspension parts. And it usally solves the problem. Good luck
  • the tranny works fine in forward but has no reverse is there a sensor that could be bad it acts as if it not even tring to go into gear
  • I think I have a dead squirrel inside the fan enclosure. Therefore I need to know how to take it apart in order to get that thing dead out of my system.
    Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.
  • How do you reset the computer on a 1996 mitsubishi montero after replacing throttle positioning sensor
  • You should be able to reset the PCM by disconecting the negative cable to the battery. There is a chance you may have to use a scan tool on that year, I can't remember. If you do, Autozone has loan a tool so you can do it.
  • I don't want to sound stupid but my 1997 montero sport wont start after two years. I have a good spark from my spark plugs and a good battery (new). any ideas on how to fix it?
  • can i replace my spark plugs with out going to the shop and has any one thryed to replace the intake manifold be for I know that there has to be some thing better then what is on there
  • My 2001 Montero Sport has recentaly been raddeling in the front by the fan. Its getting louder and louder everyday and gets even louder when in drive. Any idea on what it could be??Also when switching to drive or reverse a loud grinding noise occurs when shifting into those gears. Any idea what the loud noise could be?
  • How many miles are on it?

Rattling noise - sounds like you need to open the hood a take a peek.

Grinding noise - transmission problems, a fluid change might fix it, but I doubt it. Any transmission shop will usually provide you with a free estimate after they test drive it.
  • There is 110,000 Miles on it, it sounds like the rattlings coming from behind the fan and in front of the belt, i dont know what it is, yah from time to time the transmission will slip going in to 3rd or 2nd gear.
  • That noise could be anything from an empty beer can to a fraying belt :) Maybe the mechanic could take a look at that while he is diagnosing your transmission. Good luck.
  • avieraaviera Posts: 2
    Howdy, I am currently having the same problem with the outside mirrors. I like to check the fuse boxes but not sure which box has the bad fuse (engine or passenger compartment), did you ever resolve your problem? was it the fuse? which box? which fuse? - Thanks - All Thumbs
  • I had the dealer look at it. they replaced the fuse but I don't know which one.
  • i have blown the speaker in the front passenger door of my 2001 Montero - Ltd. I think by taking the door panel off I can gain access to the speaker. This is the small speaker at the top of the door at the window post. Problem is I do not see how to take the panel off. There are what appear to be two screw covers in the top half of the door panel. I assume i can pop those off (are they replaceable or will i have to buy new?) and then unscrew the two screws. Is that all that is holding the panel in place? Does anyone else know what i will encounter on my way to remove the speaker?

can anyone recommend a repair manual that will show how to do "simple" task such as this?
  • You can purchase a Haynes Auto Repair Manual from most any auto parts store. It will provide you with the info that you're looking for. They typically cost around $20. Also, consider purchasing the speakers from Crutchfield. They will include a detailed graphic and instructions with your purhchase.