Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lzacharylzachary Posts: 1
    Is a cam leak a consistent problem with this vehicle? I'm considering buying an '01 XLS 4WD and any "preventative" advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Lee
  • trelannitrelanni Posts: 1
    The oil leak all out from my Montero. Along with the oil leak came a knocking noise. Took it to a mechanic who informed me that I need a new engine. He mentioned nothing about the oil leak. Then he told me that I might not need to change the whole engine, just to change the engine block. He still didn't mention anything about the oil leak. He also mentioned that it seemed like something broke inside the engine, because the dip stick is loose.
  • ruddneckruddneck Posts: 23
    If you ran the vehicle without oil in it, you probably burned up the engine and will need a new one.
  • HI,

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero LTD with about 106,000 miles. Recently I experienced my temperature guage reading high when the car was not overheating. Sometime after that started, my speedometer started to stick. It starts at 0 and as you speed up it jumps up in increments of about 10 MPH. As you slow down it stays at the same reading until it suddenly drops back down. At highway speeds of 65 or so it only reads 50-55. I changed out the small controller board on the back of the instrument cluster and that solved the problem with the temperature guage but the speedomete still acts the same. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Mike
  • I finally got this temp guage problem resolved. I purchased a new instrument cluster control board MR532787 which is mounted on the back of the instrument cluster. Now the temp guage reads fine.

Mike
  • mikevegas06mikevegas06 Posts: 272
    Mike,

Thanks for the update on how to resolve the temp gauge problem. Not sure what's up with your speedometer, though. Sounds like the cable/gearing associated with the speedometer is dirty. I suggest posting your question at this website mitsubishi-forums.com
    Hope this helps.
  • Hi,

I have a Montero LTD and I got bumped from the back pushing against the spare tire. The ony damage is that the rear door does not close properly now. It has an open space at the top of the door. Is this just a readjustment of the door hinges and their shims? Any tips on how to check if the fit is right?

Thanks
    Mike
  • rosswlrosswl Posts: 1
    Mike,

my 2001 Montero's temp gauge also indicates HOT after driving for a few minutes. This started a couple weeks ago and it seems to float between mid-level and Hot. I just had the temp sensor replaced and coolant flushed and it still happens. I had the radiator and thermostat (and more) replaced last year. All other gauges seem to be fine. You indicated that replacing the control board (MR532787) solved the temp gauge mis-readings. Was it easy to replace or does it require a mechanic?

Thanks,

Ross
  • It's really just a ten minute job. The guage cluster cover comes out with 2 screws and the cluster itself is held in by 4 more. The entire cluster pulls straight out and the control board is screwed on to the back of it with 4 screws. You need to be careful seating the board so your speedometer does not get flexed out of shape. The only problem is the board cost about 210. from a dealer. I found on e on line from a dealer in California for about 170 and a little shipping.

Mike
  • I recently purchased a 2004 Montero Ltd. After a couple of weeks, the following began.

The left turn signal triggers all the dash gauge lights and console lights to blink along with the turn signal (speedometer, tach, transmission indicator, fuel, temp, 4x4, door ajar, P R N D indicator 4 wheel drive indicator on console, radio, information center, climate controls, cigarette lighter and ash tray.) This does not occur with the right turn signal.

When I turn on the parking lights or headlights, all the left turn signal bulbs stay on constantly, but the above lights do not flash when the left turn signal is then activated.

Anyone have a suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Thank you.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Check this out: Montero Sports 4x4 light flashing

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • sapruzzesesapruzzese Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Not sure if anyone can help me. I have a 2002 mitsubishi montero xls that is overheating. There is a metal pipe towards the back of the motor that is leaking. Does anyone know the name of this pipe so that I can replace it???
  • mrsformrsfor Posts: 6
    i have a 2002 montero sport, and we had our mechanic do some work on it recently (calipers, etc), but the service engine light was coming on and still is. he plugged it up to his computer but it says it is a dealer code... it still comes on whenever we drive long distances, and usually when we are heading up hill (we live in the mountains)... it has 140K miles on it, and has been a great car. i want to take good care of it, but really prefer to use the mechanic we always do rather than pay dealership service prices. any ideas about the origin of the light? thanks!!! :)
  • lavoiture1lavoiture1 Posts: 1
    My 2002 Montero has 35000 miles and at the garage they said that I have to change my timing belt. I am confused because the Mitsubishi maintenance book says that I have to do it at 60000 miles. Can some one help me ? Thank you :confuse:
  • mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Posts: 161
    Your timing belt interval is 60k. However you need to read the fine print in your owners manual. Timing belts can fail due to age and nothing else. Most manufacturers recomend 60k or 3-5 years. You have an interfearence engine that basically means if there is a timing belt failure, the engine will self destruct. Bent valves and or valve to piston damage. Hmmmm, 02 and it is 2009. Lets do some Math. Seven years old. I have been a Certified Mechanic for 30 years. I would recomend changing it. You are probably reading the interval chart in your manual. Look in the written area about timing belts specifically.
  • bigskyvtbigskyvt Posts: 2
    Hi, I just had the same problem with disaterous results. The pipe on my car, same year model as yours, was the auxiliary heat pipe. I did not notice any leakage but it was corroded and burst. THat lead to (within 1 minute) the draining of all fluids and now I have a car with either a cracked head or worse. I am trying to get somewhere with Mitusbishi as this part should never fail or corrode. My car has 60,000 miles on it. THis may or may not be your problem but is sounds familiar and the pipe is more toward the right rear of the car
  • bigskyvtbigskyvt Posts: 2
    THis just happend to my 02 Montero limited but was not as lucky. Within one minute after the auxiliary heat pipe burst from corrosion, its drained all fluids from my car and cracked the head or block. Any idea of recourse from Mitsubishi? My mechanic says he had never seen this happen and when I called Mitsubishi, they said that pretty much I was out of luck. THey said to bring it to the nearest dealer but at this point that is over 60 miles away as the three dealers closest to me in CT. have gone out of business within the past 3 years. Any help would be apppreciated
  • mfgeng_issmfgeng_iss Posts: 1
    I have a new alternator and battery, but the voltage remains 12v when the engine is started. I removed the alternator and had it bench tested to 14v. What else can be wrong with my charging system.

Thanks
    Dave
  • sapruzzesesapruzzese Posts: 2
    Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that happened. I haven't been driving the car since December because of this leak because I was afraid I would crack a head or something. No one could help me with the name of the part, so thank you so much for letting me know. As far as dealerships in CT you are absolutely right and it's so ridiculous that you have a car and no service departments in the area. Good luck and again thanks for the help.
  • I have a 2002 montero limite and when I drive it to 2000 rpm it start to shake and rattle can any one tell me what is the problem tank
  • lleicklleick Posts: 2
    Is it possible to remove key while driving?
  • lleicklleick Posts: 2
    When was the key interlock system introduced on Mitsubishi Monteros? Can a key be pulled out while driving?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    You should not be able to remove the key if the vehicle is not in park. Even if you could do it, removing the key while driving is both dangerous and illegal.

I came across an article about a Mitsubishi recall concerning the interlock system that you may find informative though it's not specifically about the Montero.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Recently had my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 2001 monterro sport. A couple days ago I was driving home from work and heard a horrible screaming noise from my engine! The power steering immediately went out so I knew it had to be a belt issue. Pulled over the car, called the boyfriend, and had him drive it home. The next day I saw one of the pulley's laying on the metal plate that covers the bottom front of the car. Contacted a few people and was told that it's a known issue with the vehicle.
    Is this true???? I've looked all over this site and haven't seen anything about issues with pulleys here. :( Help please?

• mickeymouse2mickeymouse2 Posts: 161
    Sounds like a pully locked up and broke your belt. There are many pullys including the new water pump. You didn't state which pully, possibly a tensioner pully. You need to have it checked out to find out what broke or came loose. Mechanics do sometimes leave things loose. Haven't heard of a problem with your vehicle on pullys. They do go bad when the bearings get old. If you have near 100k miles or more, you are definitely due.
  • Yeah.....the belt never broke tho! And my guy says that it was a tensioner.....hmmmm....
  • I have an identical problem and ready to purchase MR532787. Dealer wants $230. Does anyone know the place that would sale it cheaper?
  • My 1994 Montero 3.5L overheats quickly after about 1/2 mile driving but not at idle. After replacing the thermostat if the problem persists, how difficult is it to replace the water pump/timing belt? Or are there other easier to fix problems that might be going on? The radiator is clean and the coolant topped up.
  • Where is the fill valve for the A/C refrigerant on a 1994 Montero 3.5L? Do it take 134a?
  • How do you know if it really overheats? Does your gauge shows overheating? It could be a problem with a (1) gauge sensor, (2) gauge itself (less likely), (3) temp sensor. Incidentally, neither fixed my problem which now points to (4) circuit board located at the back of the instrument control cluster panel. It will be determined tomorrow at the cost of $95 by the dealer if its in fact faulty. If it is, it will be replaced at god-knows-how-much cost. But they promised the $95 check up fee will go toward the replacement. By the way, I still have a brand new gauge that I will sell to you if that's the problem. It costs $129 at the dealer and I will sell for $80 (inlcuding shipping). It fits 2000-2002 Montero Limited.