Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Climate Control Questions and Problems

Comments

• jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    Yep - it's made that way - it's simply attempting to keep the temp at the desired setting. The big question is : is the Auto control really off, if it is switched off?
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    Remember when heating and cooling your car was simple (simple twist of a knob). This is why I chose the SE instead of the Limited. I absolutely hate auto climate control. It is a huge step backward (in function) and only increases the automakers profit margins.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I have the same vehicle (2007 SE). No complaints here at all and I live in the high humidity of the south.
  • mr_rplmr_rpl Posts: 2
    I have an 2003 Santa Fe. A/C started blowing hot air, so I checked the a/c and the freon was low. We charged the system to recomended level. It was just a minute or two after charging the system that we hard a loud noise and a cloud of freon coming from under the hood. It seems like a release valve opened and let the freon out, because we checked the freon level again, and it was low. We charged the system again, and again a cloud of freon was released. Does anyone know what may be causing this problem? Thanks in advance.
  • I can confirm the same conditions on 2008 Limited AWD. The system seems to always be in an ON/SLEEP state even if the fan is not engaged resulting in either HEAT or COOL depending on the ambient temperature.

I've learned to live with it.
  • aquavishalaquavishal Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I have 2003 Santa Fe LX with 77K miles on it, It has Automatic heatiing and cooling controls installed.
    From the last few days when I started A/C first time in this season, it was not blowing the cold air. I verified it for 5-7 days by turning-on /off A/C but it surely not working.
    I went to Hyundai dealer and had it checked for 100$. He told me that there is some problem with clutch tied with A/C compressor and need to replace clutch and rebuild A/C compressor. I learned that this seems normal wear and tear. Total cost with labor is close to 700$

Seeing the cost too high, I thought of verifying with my local mechanic. He checked and told me that A/C is not getting power from electronic controls. and need to see where electric current is breaking?? this response was totally different than what was told by dealer - no relation with A/C compressor or clutch.

now this become complex, I thought of verifying it with Firestone. They also had it checked for 40$ and told the same electric current missing problem. They double checked that A.C and clutch seems fine. They also told me to investigate fully with additional 90$ cost.
    Now I am totally confused. I would have trust authorized Hyundai dealer more than anyone else but this incident is puzzling me.

I would like to ask other people opinions and have they ever faced such an issue. Maybe any clue about or related to this problem.
    one thing to note here is tht FREON and other things are full and AC unit seems fine.

Please help
    Thanks and Regards
    Vishal
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Posts: 132
    My vote goes with your mechanic. The dealer is taking the path of least resistance - throwing parts at the symptom without understanding the problem. If there's a problem in the controls, then power is not reaching the electric clutch, so it doesn't pull in and activate the compressor. It does have a relation to a/c and clutch, just not the way your dealer told you.

I would certainly have your mechanic determine what's happening with the controls - that's more likely than a failure of the clutch/compressor assembly (although that's certainly possible).
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    anybody check to make sure the a/c compressor relay is not the problem?
  • jmartin80jmartin80 Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Santa Fe. The last week or so i have noticed that when i turn my ac on it will blow cold air, but then after i drive for about 15min. the temp of the air will start to get hotter. I have checked the freon level and it says it is at the perfect level. Has anyone run across this problem or have any incite as to what may be causing this.
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    check to see how the compressor is operating...
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    To bring in outside air without heating or cooling it, just:

Turn the temperature controls to "Lo".
    Make sure that the A/C button is not engaged (green light is not glowing).
    Make sure that the recirculate / outside air selector button is in the "outside air" position.
    Set your desired fan speed.

As long as the outside air temperature doesn't exceed 59 degrees, no heating or cooling will take place. Keep in mind, though, that if the car has been sitting with a warm engine compartment, you'll need to drive it for a few minutes before the incoming air is no longer being warned by the engine compartment.
  • srz948srz948 Posts: 63
    Trying to get fresh air in my Santa Fe LTD was a little annoying at first but I think I have found a way to get fresh air into the cabin without A/C.

Turn off the AUTO button. Set the MODE to the dash vents. Set the FRESH AIR setting. You now have fresh air coming through the dash vents at the low fan speed. However as soon as you raise the fan speed the A/C compressor will come on even though the A/C light is not lit.(Strange). At this point I press the A/C button and the light comes on. Then I press it again and the light goes off. This sequence seems to shut off the A/C compressor and allow you to adjust fan speed without A/C.
  • I searched through the forums and didn't find a similar problem so I'm posting here.

My 2005 Santa Fe has automatic climate control, and even when the climate control is off, the fan blows at what seems to be hi-speed all the time.

The climate control acts normally (blows cold when needs to, looks like it's changing fan speeds when really warm, etc.) but the fan just blows at a constant speed whenever the car is on. Help!
  • My 2003 Santa Fe seems to have an odd AC problem. The air temperature remains cold when running the AC, but periodically the air flow becomes restricted. You can hear the blower still working, the bit of air that comes out of the vents is still cold but you can feel very little air flow. Changing the vent knob to different positons (feet, defrost, etc) does not help. Turning the system off for some time, then back on will fix the problem. Seems to happen more often when it's hot outside. Dealer worked on it, changed the blower door and blower relay. Problem does not happen as often but still occurs a few times an hour when driving.. any suggestions?
  • I realize the previous post was from 2 years ago, but I'm having the same problem now. I want to clean out the drain myself, but can't find it. I've removed the glove box and found the space where the cabin air filter belongs, but can't find how to access the drain. Any help would be appreciated!
  • I have the same problem. Any suggestions?
  • ecard71ecard71 Posts: 1
    Hi dancemom1,

Did you ever get the correct diagnosis and fix for this problem? I've had my whole a/c dyed, flushed, serviced, but since they can't "duplicate" the problem, I'm still stuck with it. Spent a lot of money for a problem that hasn't been fixed. :mad:
  • i have been having the same issue for over 3 years. mine usually takes over 45 minutes of continous use before it happens and i don't drive it that far very often so i have not bothered to try and get it fixed. (reference your challenges). i am interested in you ever got it fixed b/c it just happened again today in florida?
  • I purchased a 2010 Sante Fe a few months ago and just recently we are experiencing a problem where the A/C will go off when you are using the windshield wipers. The A/C blows warm air causing the inside to fog up.
    If I shut-off the car and restart the A/C blows cold air again, until it blows again.

I have been told by the dealership that this is a known issue that the engineers at Hyundai are aware of. Has anybody else have this issue?
  • palmcoastg35, have you been able to correct the problem?