Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Outback/Legacy Tires and Wheels

Comments

• ddunbarddunbar Posts: 31
    Thanks. We're in Chicago and so snow/wet traction is more of a concern than heat.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    if you want great snow /ice traction and not want a seperate set of winter tires, get some Nokian WRs. They will be more expensive than a T rated all season but they last a long time too and you won't regret it and even in the summer they are better than many all seasons. I'm in the NW burbs and I've used them on 4 vehicles. Suburban Tires carries them and they are all over Chicagoland.
    I was considering those or the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds which get great reviews on Tirerack.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    I had a set of Goodyear TTs on my '96 Outback. They had great traction characteristics in all weather, year round, but I did take a noticeable hit to my fuel economy (~5%?). With an 80K tread wear warranty, they were destined to give me 3+ years of solid service (at 20K+ miles per year).
    Thanks. Are the Nokian WR likely to do better on the fuel economy?
    dunno about that, haven't really noticed much difference in mileage with them compared to whatever all season they replaced
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Posts: 215
    Here in NH I am on my second set of the Bridgestone Turanza. I am at about 114,000 miles (45k on the original Wilderness, 55k on the first set of Turanzas)
    Thanks.
    How many miles have you gotten out of a set of the Nokian WRs?

We've gotten over 47K from the OEM Turanza RE92s.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    For what it is worth, regarding the Goodyear TTs, I estimated about a 5% drop in economy because during highway trips the summer after the tires were installed, I consistently received 24.5 mpg, whereas it was right at 26 the summer prior. Nothing was different except the tires (and an extra 20K miles on the car).

So, there really could be other factors at play there, but I still suspect the tires were the most significant one with their aggressive tread.

I do think it was worth the trade, though.
    On a Windstar (which may eat up tires more than a Subaru because of its weight) I have put on almost 40K in all year driving with WRs and 2 tires were down to the 4mm tread markings, the other 2 still show the 6mm marks (they have "engraved" into the tread the depth in mm -4,6,8).
    On my Legacy with the NRW (WRs predecessor) as a winter only tire I have put on 5 seasons and they are only half worn. probably about 30-35k miles on them (at least 6/32in tread still left) .
    On a Tribeca with WRs all year round with 26K they still show all the 6mm marks and you can just about make out some 8s.
    I have a small RV with 22K miles with a truck Nokian and they have over half tread left.
  • how did you find this tire and what made you decide to buy it? Also, why do you think its the best tire out there?

I'm looking to replace OEM for 05 legacy gt wagon and I live in Northern NY in the Adirdonack Mtns where not only does it snow a lot, but often sub zero temps for days on end. I need a tire that can handle the snow and I previously had continental contacts extreme on my 04 wrx. Great tires for the snow but I dont have that car anymore and based on tirerack, I could do better. Please, let me know your thoughts. I drive spirited sometimes but most of the time with two kids and my wife, things are more reserved.
  • Thanks all for the input. I ended up getting Yoko Avid TRZ and I love them and its like riding on air. I cannot believe the rough ride I had with the Firestone Wilderness Tire. Can't believe Subaru would put such a tire on a car..."what were they thinking?"
  • Think about the Nokian WR. Its an all-season tire, but also rated as a snow tire. My wife has them on her Outback and zips through heavy snow and ice. (We're in CNY). Had them on my Outback which I traded in. We run them year round. Downside is the price (around $170 mounted an balanced per tire) and the wear (around 35-45K). The tires that came on my 07 Outback are terrible in the snow, and I'm thinking of getting a set of Nokians for my current Outback.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I'd vote for the Nokian Hackapolitas (sp?) they are the ones that my buddy had on my LGT before I bought it from him and he lives up in Lake George in the Adirondacks. I travel up to the Southern Dacks often and would say they are great tires for the winter for the car.

-mike
  • We've found the Nokian WR more than adequate for getting through winters that average 150 inches or more of snow. But a dedicated snow tire is even better if you don't mind dealing with an extra set of tires/rims and the tire pressure monitoring system.
    You'd be suprised what a 98 Legacy will fit.

I've run some weird tires on my 94. In stock format I went from something like 195-60-15 to 215-45-16

Try em out and see if they fit, you'll know right away if they won't fit.

-mike
  • thanks for the info. I plan on buying in a month or so as the weather here is getting cold!
  • We don't want to go with a snow tire as we feel the legacy does quite well with the AWD and a nice set of all seasons. Usually if its heavy snow, we don't travel but if the need arises, I'm comfortable in driving in all seasons. I had a set of continental contacts on my previous 04 WRX which I thought did very well against the OEM on those and living in NY my whole life, I'm comfortable with driving in snow. Granted the added traction would be great for studded snow tires, I just know I would have a hard time convincing my wallet.
    I'd go for the Sumitomo HTR+ for an all-season tire. Also check out the Pirelli Sottozeros, they are great snowish-allseasonish tire.

-mike