Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Performance Upgrades

kbstreatkbstreat Member Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Subaru
i have a 1997 subaru impreza 2.2L non-turbo and i am trying to give my car turbo what do i have to do to complete the job the cheapest way possible...help please!!!!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Try Cobb, Vishnu, i.e. the usual suspects for Subaru tuning.

Most of the focus is on the 2002+ WRX, though.
  • tom165tom165 Member Posts: 2
    hey everyone, iv got an impreza lx 1997 sedan. its my first car and i want to try and do some small/cheap upgrades to it. any suggestions??
    cheers
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Tires and brakes are really the only upgrades you can do that mean anything.

After that get yourself to an HPDE aka a Track Day and learn to drive the car better. The best mod is to fix the nut behind the wheel! :)

-mike
  • hks_wrx_stihks_wrx_sti Member Posts: 1
    Well you can do things like short ram air intakes, lightweight pulleys, exhaust, fresh spark plugs if you haven't changed them in ages, and a bottle of octane from walmart!
    Well you can do things like short ram air intakes, lightweight pulleys, exhaust, fresh spark plugs if you haven't changed them in ages, and a bottle of octane from walmart!

And all of those things will do absolutely NOTHING for you in terms of performance. Take it from someone who's been working on subarus since 1998 when the 2.5RS first came here. There is nothing you can do in terms of power increases on these motors, short of a turbo-kit, but a motorswap is cheaper.

-mike
  • c_banksc_banks Member Posts: 1
    hey guys i have an 05 2.5RS and i was gonna get an air intake. Any suggestions on what one would be good for my car?? Thanks
  • gsuth7435gsuth7435 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there. I'm in the same situation as 'c banks' and was wondering what type of intake I could install in my 2005 2.5RS. I just got it a few days ago and I'm really eager to add a little more torque/horsepower to it. I'm also wanting to add exhaust, not neccessarily for performance, but I just want to get a slightly deeper, better sound coming from the exhaust. I don't want something loud that wakes up the whole neighborhood either, something usually seen on honda's. Would a Performance Chip help at all and be worth the money? My budget for this car is pretty low as of right now, but any input on prices/brands/models would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    You will get no performance upgrades on a 2.5RS from any of those things. (Chip, Exhaust, Intake). I've been modding subarus for almost 10 years and it's just not something you want to do, unless you want that ricey sound.

-mike
  • harvey192harvey192 Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys, i have a 07 impreza 2.5i non turbo and i was just wondering what type of exhaust might give my car a little better exhaust sound (deeper) kind of like the WRX STI and also is a cold air intake mod helpful at all??? Also if i bought an aftermarket muffler (ebay) would it have any effect on my cars performance or any other aspect?
    You won't get any performance increase from intakes or exhausts on the 2.5i. You also can't boltup any exhausts from the turbos to the non turbos, you'd need a custom fab on them.

You can make it louder but it won't sound like an STi really.

Personally, I'd stick with it stock, if you want to actually drive faster, do Brakes, Tires, Suspension that will help you be able to drive it significantly faster.

Oh and go to an HPDE event, where you can do on-track driving with an instructor in your car, this is the best mod you can do, and it's universal no matter what car you get in!

-mike
    what about putting a aftermarket muffler only on it, does that void my warrenty at all and will it sound any different or screw up my computer becasue of compression and all that
    An aftermarket muffler will probably be louder, won't void your warranty (except on the exhaust system) and won't effect the computer.

-mike
    Thats awsome, thanks alot for the help, i really do appreciate it, that sucks that i cant boost the power at all but its not like it cant hold its own. I've pulled off the line with many different cars and most of the time i win. I love this car and everything to do with it, i'll never go from subaru ever. Anyways do you have any suggestions on aftermarket mufflers that might work to produce a better sound?
    Hmm, don't know of any specific for the 2.5i, I think it's due to the rotation of the flange on the axle-back. It's rotated on the 2.5i v. the turbo cars. Your best bet would be to take a generic muffler to a shop and have em cut your old flange off and put it on the generic one.

-mike
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    Mike

what would you recommend for an 02 wagon for power upgrades? there used to be all sorts of stuff advertised but I guess since its an old model most places aren't interested anymore. so far I've only put on 17in wheels and a Foresters cup holder in the back :-)!

dennis
    WRX?

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    sorry Mike, yes, for a wrx 02 wagon, MT
    For power upgrades, I'd go for a Downpipe, Catback, and a Cobb Access Port. Other than that, you are talking big money for power upgrades.

-mike
    so if I'm a cheapskate which two or one of those 3 is the best way to go? and which is least likely to mess up my emissions testing?
    Sorry for the late reply. I'd go for the Cobb AP. That's all I'm running on mine right now. Shoot me an e-mail mike @ iace.com for some more details.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • bmxracirbmxracir Member Posts: 1
    Hey,

I have a 2008 Impreza 2.5i and just put some after market mufflers on it. I was reading some of the other posts and i had to bring it to a specialty shop to get them welded on. Anyways, i was looking at getting an Injen CAI. I live in Pittsburgh, Pa, so the winters get pretty bad. I had a cobalt and got a short ram and it worked pretty good. I was just reading a lot about how CAI suck in water and if its cold then the pistons can break and how the short ram can take in a lot a hot air and over heat the engine. I read that the AEM can get a valve. So would that be the best, or should i look for a CAI that can be turned into a short ram?

Thanks
  • wx_geekwx_geek Member Posts: 3
    I see that Subaru offers an STI spring upgrade dealer installed on the 2009 Impreza. Anyone have experience with these springs? I could drive an STI but there are too many other suspension changes on that car to make a direct comparison concerning ride quality. My goal is to create an Impreza that handles like an STI (or at least close) but with the better fuel economy.
  • holisticnurseholisticnurse Member Posts: 3
    Hi, wondering if it's better to buy a bottom line WRX and add mods or better to buy a STI with everything included? I heard the mod package on the STI is just the best. I would really like to get the premium cuz of the sunroof and would add the exhaust and some other little things. Is it worth getting the sat radio? Also, got any sites that sell good aftermarket parts? The subaru.com site doesn't really describe all the parts available as options. Thanks guru~
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    C&D tested both and oddly enough the plain WRX was actually quicker.

I'd want the rock-solid 6 speed MT from the STi, but besides that I'd save my money and start with a plain one.
  • actimos098actimos098 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    i purchased the 07 2.5i impreza. i haven't done anything to it other than regular maintenance.
    my questioin is what is the besting thing that i could do to improve vehicle performace without adding a turbo (it's not a WRX). thank you.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Start by removing any extra weight you are carrying in the car...bowling balls,garden tools, etc. Be sure tires are inflated to the max correct pressure. If there are any check engine lights, get the problems fixed.

Then relax and enjoy the adequate performance which won't change much without extensive and expensive modifications.
  • mrsincere7mrsincere7 Member Posts: 40
    I saw an installation video on Youtube. It mentioned that 2.0 WRX 03 and later, aside from putting the 2 male/female green connectors together ( under the dash ), you are supposed also connect the white connector too. I only see one loose white connector under the dash next to the two green connectors. How is the white connector connected under the dash? Thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.