Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Long Can My Honda Civic Last??

2»

Comments

• You need to have it checked out bey a good mechanic/shop. You can't understand yourself if there are any unseen problems. Ask for maintenance records, such as timing belt change, brake work, transmission work, etc, or if they have a mechanic/shop that has been doing the work and inquire by VIN for records. I'd offer $2500 on condition that everything checks out OK: electrical, mechanical, A/C, heater, etc. You pay for the checkout. Timing belt replacement will run $500+ if needed, so you don't want to need that right away.
  • danwat1234danwat1234 Posts: 2

My car has 236,500 miles on it, a 1999 Civic DX automatic. Completely reliable. I've had both 02 sensors replaced, valve cover, oil pan gaskets replaced. Preventative replacement of thermostat. Some piston chatter when the engine is cold but is quieted down quite a bit by switching from 5w30 to 10w30 (Chevron Supreme dino oil). I do a drain/fill (~3 quarts) of the transmission every 20K for preventative maintenance with Honda DW1, engine every 5K, brakes every 20K, coolant every 40K. About 30MPG combined in the winter, 33MPG combined in the summer. I have an upper grille block for MPG. I recommend an HID kit because the stock headlights are sucky so I put in a 55W 5000K (white color) HID kit with a lifetime warranty. Goes through a bulb about every 18 months.

Am thinking about a nice used red Chevy Volt when they get cheap. With how long my car will last I can probably wait as long as I need to.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/danwat1234/civic

• bmccue1964bmccue1964 Posts: 1

2001 Honda Civix LX - 5 speed standard - 291,000 miles. Replaced clutch at 200,000, rear brakes around 250,000. Still has original exhasut system. Other than a little rust by the rear passenger size wheel opening (thanks to an accident in my driveway when my wife backed our Odyssey into it), it is just fine. I have a goal of hitting 300,000 by the end of 2014. Possibly even going beyond that!

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    edited July 11

@bmccue1964 said: I have a goal of hitting 300,000 by the end of 2014. Possibly even going beyond that!

At this point, you might as well just drive it until it won't drive anymore, just to see how many miles it will go. I mean, barring a major/expensive issue, that is.

We had a Tercel that did over 300k, and it had the courtesy to die peacefully in the driveway.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,693

We had a Civic traded in once with 459,000 miles. It had dents in every panel and it barely ran but it made it to our store!

2»