Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Taurus New Owner Reports

Comments

• jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    Yesterday, 10/25, the wife and I test drove a 2008 Taurus SEL. I can’t say enough, the car is wonderful. Keep in mind though, that our present car is a 1993 Explorer purchased new and now has 194,000 miles on it, so any thing would be a great ride.
    We only drove the car for about 20 minutes on mostly back roads and 10 minutes on the freeway. Very nice ride and tight, responsive steering are the two things that impressed me the most.
    When getting on the freeway I was surprised at how fast and smoothly the car reached 60 mph with out stomping on the accelerator.
    The wife was impressed and that is a good thing, but we didn’t buy.
    I made a promise (damn me) that no new car until we get new carpet and that should come late winter or early spring.
  • We bought an SEL yesterday to replace my wife's 2001 Taurus. I travel a lot and rent all kinds of vehicles and I had already concluded that the Taurus was the best value in it's class - bar none.

This car drives much more "expensive" than it's price! It is very quiet and refined and has good fit and finish. The engine is very strong and sounds great when pushed and is silent when not. The Taurus is competitive against sedans costing thousands more, IMO.

Two things are holding back sales in my opinion - it looks frumpy and Ford's marketing and advertising is miserable.
  • stephenstephen Posts: 131
    Leased it three weeks ago for 24 months on a paid in full up front lease. Traded-in was an 07 Pacifica. I've driven the Taurus 520 miles and so far, I'm impressed with it. I like the conservative looks. Whenever I want to drive something more showy, I take the wife's 07 Mustang. One of the things I like best about the Ford automatic transmissions is that on hilly roads, they don't downshift until they have to. My Pacifica had a transmission that was busier than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs on hilly roads.

I do wish that Ford would install a telescoping steering wheel on the next update of the Taurus. Either that, or change the adjustible pedal range so that they could be adjusted further away for guys with long legs.
  • Stephen

I agree with your assessment 100%. We have about 1900 miles on our AWD Limited and love it. The only thing I would like to see is a telescoping steering wheel. When my legs are comfortable my arms have to stretch to far for long term comfort. When my arms are comfortable my right leg is crammed against the hard side of the console.

Other than that we love the car - solid, roomy, drives nicely, and the engine loves to go.

We are averaging about 20 mgp in town. Best I have seen on the road is 23. I assume that my get a bit better with more miles. The engine was very tight when new.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    We drove my wife's new Taurus from Minneapolis to Southern Iowa to visit family over the holidays. The trip included gridlock traffic getting out of Minneapolis, interstate crusing at 80 MPH, twisty two-lanes in southern Iowa, and a good old fashioned blizzard with snow packed roads on the way home. All in all, it was a good test for the Taurus.

I continued to be impressed with the driving experience in this car. High speed driving into a stiff wind and the lack of wind noise is remarkable. This car is a very quiet, smooth and capable cruiser! With 2000 miles on the clock, the engine has freed up and performs very strongly. It is quicker than my Lincoln LS V8 in the low and mid range. The transmission is also exceptionally smooth. I appreciate the fact that it doesn't have to downshift for moderate hills when crusing. I drove an AWD Edge last summer and it couldn't seem to maintain 6th gear when cruising if there was much of any incline. The Taurus is much better in that regard.

Now for some negatives: Yes, this car really needs a telescoping wheel. Also, as smooth as the transmission is, I would prefer more control of the lower and middle gears. While driving home, in a blizzard, the interstate traffic was moving between 10 - 30 MPH and there was lots of unnecessary shifting up and down. I would have preferred manual control. The same is true in heavy traffic situations around town. Most owners probably don't care about this but I am a control freak, I guess.

I have always been able to get a bit better mileage on the highway than the EPA estimates but I did not with the Taurus. The best we got was from Minneapolis to Des Moines - 27.2. Granted there was wind out of the southeast, traffic was moving at 75-80 and the car only had 1000 miles on it so maybe that was a pretty tough test. Around town (50/50 freeway and traffic) the trip computer shows 21.

In conclusion, I still maintain that this car is an awesome value and is competitive with cars costing thousands more.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Thanks for the thorough post - keep 'em comin'!
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    It would be nice to see more activity on this board. 27 posts since last summer does speak to highly of the interest in this car.

Sales picked up nicely in December - over 10,000 units if you count both the sedan and the Taurus X. That is still a pittance compared with the Impala. It blows my mind that Ford does not advertise or market this car. They don't hesitate to throw rebates and dealer cash at it but they don't spend a dime informing potential buyers of it's attributes.

Several members of my extended family have last generation Taurus's. While visiting them over the holidays, not one of them were aware that the new Taurus was an entirely different car. They couldn't believe the difference between the old and new. Not just my family but all of the old Taurus owners will eventually buy a new car. If Ford would make people aware of the new one with an innovative marketing campaign, sales would improve dramatically. IMO.

In the meantime, there are good deals to be had on a heckuva good full-size sedan.
    Fortunately for those that know about it, this car is an AMAZING steal.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    hmmm not at my dealership.

Mark.
    not at my dealership.

Where is your dealership?
    Any thoughts as to why there is no interest?
    Any idea why Ford is not advertising the new Taurus?
    I test drove one in Tacoma, WA and thought I was in heaven, but I have been driving a Explorer for the past 14 years.

My kid graduates from college this year so I hope to redirect funds from tuition to a car and at the moment the wife wants the Taurus
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Cause they already consider it a FAILURE!

I work at a large Ford dealer in conservative affluent NJ Suburbs. Test Drive the Ford Edge, and you will understand why no one is buying the Taurus. People are trading in their Explorers in DROVES for the new Edge.

The Taurus is the most boring sedan design on the road today with the possible exception of the new Sebring.

The 2010 Taurus goes on sale summer of 2009 and according to Alan Mulally, it will be the car that Ford should have introduced in the first place in and I hope its worth the wait!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080127/COL14/801270660/1014/BU- - - SINESS01

Mark
    Thanks for the link.
    I have not given the Edge much thought because it gets less MPG than the Taurus and MPG is going to be a big issue in my next purchase. It would however be a great replacement for our 1993 Explorer.

I would hate to think of the Taurus as Ford’s answer to the Buick, however, do turn 60 this year, but Im a long way from “Buick status” ( I have looked at the Buick, but mpg and price keep me away)
  • A reporter seeks to interview buyers of models equipped with Ford Sync. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, February 1 with your daytime contact information and a sentence or two about why you purchased Sync.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

KarenS,

May I ask who these reporters are? I see these from time to time and never know what they're really about!

Just curious!!! :)
  • It isn't specific to just one publication. There are a variety of newspapers/magazines that ask help from our PR for people to interview for automotive related articles. If you have further questions, drop me an email.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Nope, that's what I was curious about. Thanks!
  • 0311vn0311vn Posts: 48
    I test drove one that had a sunroof. I doubt if I would want that option. Otherwise, loaded what are they selling for real world? Do they have an engine in which some cylinders cut off at high speeds? Is there added safety in having AWD in dry driving conditions?
    The Taurus has a big interior and high crash ratings. Is the firm ride part of the Volvo platform tradition? I will take the firm, stiff ride over the "boaty" ride of my step-father's Mercury Gran Marquis anyday.
    Do they have an engine in which some cylinders cut off at high speeds?

Nope, but they offer 28 MPG highway, which is darn good in my opinion, and very competitive.

Is there added safety in having AWD in dry driving conditions?

Not much of one; handling may be slightly better (and I mean SLIGHTLY), but the type of system used isn't supportive of canyon carving (as in the Acura RL Sedan and MDX Crossover); instead, its for slick conditions. It also hurts fuel economy. I don't think (just my opinion here) that AWD is as beneficial as people think, since it does nothing to help you stop, but instead helps you get going. I'd get ESC and avoid the AWD.

Is the firm ride part of the Volvo platform tradition? I will take the firm, stiff ride over the "boaty" ride of my step-father's Mercury Gran Marquis anyday.

Few people will call the Taurus firm; controlled maybe, but quite soft. Drive a Fusion, that'll show you firm.
  • For me the deal killer in getting a new Taurus was the lack of a telescoping steering wheel. I am tall with long legs. With the seat set for me I had to have my arms fully extended straight out to reach the steering wheel, an uncomfortable and tiring position. I don't understand it; there is probably not another car of this price without a telescoping steering wheel.
  • 0311vn0311vn Posts: 48
    I guess I have been out of the loop. Steering wheels that adjust up and down I know of, but not in and out.
    What car companies make engines with cylinders that cut off at high speed to save fuel?
This discussion has been closed.