Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Ford Taurus New Owner Reports

Comments

• capellacapella Posts: 20
    Marsha, I've looked at the '09 Order Guide for the '09 Taurus, and I don't see any package or option that allows you to get power lumbar. You can get an 8 way power driver seat (not available on SE, standard on SEL and Limited), and you can get leather seats that are heated in front (this is not available on SE, optional on SEL, standard on the Limited). But as far as I can tell, power lumbar isn't available.

We have the 6 way power seat with manual lumbar and the lumbar works great. It's comfortable for my wife (who's under 5' 2") and me (5' 11"). My wife often has difficulty finding seats that fit her and that was one reason we bought the Taurus.

I don't know if Mercury has power lumbar for '09, but the '08 Sable was very similar to the '08 Taurus and I don't think it had power lumbar available then.

(Note: Order Guide can be seen here: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24437 -- need to sign in as a member to view)
  • reggiechereggieche Posts: 4
    It's a great car, a lot of car for the money. Powerful 3.5L engine with 6-speed automatic, very good gas mileage for the size. Command seats are a good feature, gives great view and driving comfort - I drove SUV and minivans for the past few years, very similar sitting position. Sound is great, backup sensors work fine.

Some very minor issues - hope Ford can improve for future designs:

1) Mech. brake pedal is too close to hood lever. Several cases when I released the brake, the hood was opened (I wear heavy boots).

2) Minor adjust nob is two far away.

3) The trunk needs a latch, or handle

4) Continental tires give a little road noise.

By saying these issues, this is still a great car for the money, and even better than a lot of cars with much higher sticker price. I would like to recommend this car to whom looking for a family sedan, compare this one againest some Japaneses.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    2) Minor adjust nob is two far away.

What knob? I'm not sure which one you mean.

3) The trunk needs a latch, or handle

You mean as opposed to the dash-mounted button for unlatching the trunk? This feature is much nicer than the manual pull-handle mounted in the floor of my Honda. Different strokes for different folks, I guess! :blush:
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    The audiophile system should have speakers in the front doors, rear doors, and two 6x9 subwoofers in the rear parcel shelf - you can see the underside of them from the trunk. I'm not sure how many speakers the specs list, but manufacturers always count a coaxial speker with a tweeter and mid as two speakers, so it's probably listed as a 10 speaker system. I'm used to seeing tweeters on the dash or the A-pillars, but the front door speakers are pretty high up, so I guess they didn't feel they needed separate tweeters. I'm amazed at how good it sounds - better (IMO) than the 625w Infinfity Logic7 system in the Azera. I'm a habitual car stereo modifier, but I really don't think I need to alter this one.
  • terrydterryd Posts: 3
    Any insight on differences the 2009 will bring. I have procrastinated long enough buying , I think I should understand the new model before taking the discounts available on the 2008.

Terry
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    See post #81 above. Also click on the following link, then search on "2009 Taurus". Include quotes. You may have to register.
    http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?
  • cocar1cocar1 Posts: 2
    Just found the forum. My 2008 SEL hits one year on the road end of the month- should be at 47K by then (typically drive 45-50k/year). Roomy with a great ride. Base stereo is fine. AC @ wide open is a bit noisy. Tan interior with the black carpet does show a bit of dirt. Put in husky liners to help. Many who ride with me can't believe it's a Taurus. Here's a few things to respond to previous posts: Mileage: 26-28 mpg on the road at 70-80 mph. Mixed driving 21-23 mpg. Ride: Has been great up to 42K tires (Continental-I don't really care for them) tires are going. Will replace with Michelin's new 90K tire. Problems: Trunk latch spring broke at 40K, replaced myself for $60--not worth losing the car for the day. CV boot making noise (42K) used rubber lube no more noise. Pet peeve: chrome trim around the shifter has terrible glare in early spring/ late fall. I need it to last to 150k- so far the so good, let's see how it goes.
  • cocar1cocar1 Posts: 2
    Same thing. Was CV boot on Driver's front. Used a rubber lubricant and issue went away.
    Anyone know what the circular vents in the dash are for? They are directly above the a/c vents to the sides of the dash that blow air out. Doesn't really make sense that they would be air intakes for the a/c, since you would expect that to be the hottest air in the car. They are placed where you might see tweeters for the stereo, but there aren't any tweeters in there. I couldn't find them referred to in the manual.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    If I understand the ones you mean, they are the side window defroster vents.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Posts: 735
    Well I purchased a 2008 Taurus Limited. I’m sure I didn’t get the best deal, but I’m not unhappy with it. Any time you can get your tax, tabs and fees paid is not bad.
    MSRP was $29355. Tax, Tab, Fees came to $2613. I got the car out the door $29312.

Ice Blue Taurus Limited with limited convenience pkg, limited wood pkg, power moon roof, Sirius Radio and a full tank of gas. The gas alone is an $83 value $4.19 a gallon.

What little I have driven it I love the ride and amenities. The car it replaces is a 1993 Explorer with 200K + miles on it so I have 15 years of technology to get caught up on. We spent the next day in the car with owner’s manual playing with all the buttons.

Driving it home from the dealer, about 60 miles on hilly, winding roads, I averaged 25.6 MPG. The car had 106 miles on it by the time we got home so I can only assume the mileage will improve with time.

I think the Explorer might have made 18 MPG on the same road as it only gets 20 freeway.
  • bhasinbhasin Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I am having a kid soon. I would rather not have a minivan. Since the Taurus is so huge, has anyone experience with car seat +2 rear seat passengers.

What i want to know is "Is this comfortable for 2 adults in the back+ 1 infant in infant seat".

Adults are not taller than 5'8, and medium sized.

I really like this car, and hope it can beat the minivan...
  • bobber1bobber1 Posts: 217
    The leg room is great, but width could be better. For short trips around town what your saying would work fine. On a long trip I have to think the adults would feel a little cramped with the car seat in the middle.

I have 3 car seats across my Taurus and can make it work fine. On long trip we go for the minivan ever time. Really a good minivan will get you nearly the same mileage and you have so much more room.

It's hard to beat the value of a minivan(I have a Taurus and a Honda Odyssey).
    Or you could get a Taurus-X which has a 3rd seat.
    Taurus and Mazda MPV here. Practicality eventually won the day at our house.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Three across in the back with a child seat might be tight due tow width.

An Edge would be ideal its 4 inches wider than an Explorer!

Mark
  • bhasinbhasin Posts: 11
    I am not a minivan fan, but if the MPG is the same, then i guess it is more logical choice. Plus can haul more too.

I just like the Taurus, but can afford only 1 new vehicle.

thanks
    Was the CV Boot noise when you went over a bump? I have the noise on my 2008 Sable. It is more pronounced with passenger(s) in the car. Was the lubricant placed on the outside of the boot? Did you or the dealer do it?
  • I just got a used 8700 miles Premium AWD that was returned to the dealer in Yakima. I live in Lake Stevens, WA was smart to search the local state area. I got a fully loaded black AWD with nav, traction, handling, 18 in wheels, leather, heated seats moonroof, Pierlli tires, etc.

I almost bought a 2008 20k FWD for 15900 but decided to go all the way and glad I did.
    I met them on the Snoqualmy Pass and sign my life away for 23900 plus and now have a 35300 valued car for $24k.

This car is like my F350 lookin down on the other cars and is very comfortable and roomy. The trunk blows me away. I never thought I would buy a sedan being a wagon and fastback type but it is much funner to dirve that my 92 Civic or 1990 VW Cabriolet.
    I love Fords and have a 1975 Bronco with a 5.0 EFI. I am happy to buy a almost new US Ford Mercury product when they need our support to offset Toyota and others. Love my Sable AWD
  • jg585jg585 Posts: 9
    Just bought an ’08 Taurus SEL with 18k on it. Take possession Monday evening. A seemingly decent car with a much better seat than my 07 Buick Lucerne. That car crippled me.
    My other consideration was an 06 Volvo S80 at three times the money. Could not bring myself to spend the dough. Woulda coulda shoulda
This discussion has been closed.