Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animal/Pest Problems

2»

Comments

• ewe2ewe2 Posts: 20
    I'll see if that will work. Thanks.
    :-)
    D
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    I had an old beater as a second car many years ago. I let it sit for about a month without driving in the late fall one year. Well, one night I decide to start it up and drive around the block. As I am halfway down the street I see a small furry shadow darting across my foot, which was on the gas pedal. I briefly shoot up to about 80 mph, then hit the brakes. Ahh... my little friends from across the great meadow have returned.

Well, I drove back home and went into the mansion. I pulled out, what has been a very successful solution in the past, a mouse glue trap sprinkled with bird seed. To make it a little more irresistible, I put a little bit of peanut butter on each seed. Then go outside and stick it by the floor vent. I go back out to check in about 4 hours. Well sir, not only do I have mama mouse, but 3 of her young'uns stuck in the trap as well. I scoop up the trap with a hamburger spatula and dispose of the critters in the gar-bagch can. Word must have gotten out, because I never had a problem with the varmints again.

Now, for those of you who feel glue traps inhumane. Then I would suggest thunking each trapped mouse in the head with a tablespoon.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,694
    A Civic Hybrid was towed in with extensive rat damage. They really did a number on the wiring to the tune of hours and hours of nasty labor!
    They(rats) really did a number on the wiring...

They must use that stuff like dental floss... feels good on their rat gums perhaps.

Funny how one of the first things they go for is the wiring.
  • I have found success by putting one of those laundry drier sheets in the car and in the engine compartment.They lose their potency so you have to put new ones in every month or so.
    Keep bees away during summer cookouts.

I didn't believe it until I tried it myself.
  • I have a little problem my self. I have chipmunks in my airfilter and now in my intake. My car is at the dealer now and it is going to be pretty pricey to take care of the problem. Have your methods worked? I need to do something and I have no idea where to start. I have a 2005 Mazda 3s and I want these animals gone! Can you help. If so please email me.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    small rodents like mice and chipmunks can be controlled with toxic bait systems that can buy at most large hardware stores. mulch bed walnuts and acorns from trees attract these animals larger rodents like squirrels are safer to trap these traps are simple bait it when you catch one choose kill or release fill plastic trash can with water and drownd it
    I think it's more humane to bust it's head with a shovel, as opposed to trying to drownd it.
    i agree and then there is always the Bill Murry option. these critters are pretty smart to try not to piss them off
  • maryh3maryh3 Posts: 263
    About 1 week ago I put my minivan seats into the floor to carry a bicycle. A few days later we began to notice an odor. After searching and smelling and cleaning we all agree that it smells like a decaying carcass (perhaps a mouse) and it must be under the upholstery in the back seat. I think it crawled into the seat and wedged itself, then when I put the seat down I must have squished it.

I have been driving another vehicle and I am leaving the van open hoping to get rid of the smell but I need advise on what I should do.

Do I need to get the animal carcass out of the seat - if so how much will this be?

If it is deemed best just to leave it in the seat, how long will the nasty odor stay?

Anyone else have a similar problem ever.

The van is a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country.
    Might be awhile for the corpse to rot away. I'd try to figure out where it came in at and remove it.
    get rid of the carcasss. the odor will be absourbed by the interior if you don't. some foods will cause the same odor. chicken comes to mind. once entrenched the odor may not be able to remove. :sick:
    Get rid of it, no matter what!

Even when it's gone, the small will linger for a long time.
  • Had a massive gas leak in my truck. Shop investigating. Squirrels were brought up by the shop as a possibilty for gas leak. Read article about squirrels getting under vehicles and eating away at rubber/fuel line, etc. It's awful. I use my vehicle regulary (go to work, shop, etc), so it doesn't sit in drive way all the time. However, I now have a damage fuel system and my truck is in the shop. Investigation takes place today. Pepper spray was recommended... Never would have thought of using that. Any other suggestions out there to keep pests from going under and into my vehicles?
  • Deer Off seems to work down here in Florida.
    We recently had to replace a interior wiring harness on an Odyssey.

This pigsty of a car had been used as a rolling restaurant. Besides feasting on huge quanities of Cheerios, candy and other junk, the rat decided to chew through the wiring harness for dessert.

The interior was disgusting and I think that rat could have lived a year on the crumbs and Mc Donald's leftovers that were in this car.

I felt bad for the tech who got stuck with this job.

All of the time, he feared the rat would appear and bite him. For this tech, it wouldn't have been the first time!

Keep your cars food free!
  • dkalmerdkalmer Posts: 1
    I live in a rural area, and park my 2005 Elantra in a barn. I have had problems with mice somehow getting into the air ducts, and building nests on the cabin air filter. The first time this hapened, I put 1/4" hardware cloth (galvanized screening) over the air intake vent drains. It just happened again, with the screen in place. The windows are closed, how can mice be getting into the ventilation system? Thanks, Doug
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    wish i had an answer for you. some years ago i changed my air filter and found perhaps a half a cup of decon poison pellets in the airbox. the decon didn't work in this case. :o)
  • squirrelbaitsquirrelbait Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    Apparently, auto manufacturers have gone to using soy instead of plastic in their wiring...it's cheaper (for them!)

Toyota is definitely an offender...my 2005 4Runner was ravaged by a squirrel who built a nest in the engine compartment at a cost of $1200. Fortunately she was electrocuted in the process. For a long time after I would see her babies waiting in my front yard for the car to come home!

Today I took my 2007 4Runner to the dealership because all of my idiot lights were on. Squirrels had chewed-up the wiring. I was told that we would start with $300 and go from there. Toyota needs to pay for this, the slimy, slimy cheats! :mad:
    Why should Toyota pay?

Thsi happens with all makes and models!
2»
This discussion has been closed.