Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - A New Start

Comments

• esbrockesbrock Posts: 88
    Bad:

I was thinking of installing along the side with the driver end facing the back. I have haeard subs sound better if you point them towards the rear of the vehicle.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Esbrock:
    Actually my two 12" subs are up against the back seat firing straight back. I had them installed facing up, but I changed the configuration afterwards because I didn't care for the way they sounded. I think firing straight back will be your best bet, but since the tube is easy to move around you can try all sorts of configurations.

Dasaint1:
    O I see how it is, point the blame somewhere else. As if to say you didn't partake in our..... creative conversations.
  • Heya all...

I'm still a week or so away from getting my Cat, and I'm AAALLLL types of ancy, but I couldn't resist joining the "club" already. Hope y'all don't mind my hoppin' on the bandwagon before I pass initiation.

For those of you who were asking about what prices people were paying, I don't mind sharing: I'm buying a 2000 V6 in Silver Frost with Graphite Leather interior, Sport Package, Convenience Group, ABS, Traction Control, CD, Sunroof - ok, ok, just about everything. (Hey, its my first brand new car, and I figured since it was the Cat, what the heck). Sticker for it is 21,400, and I'm paying 18800. Not bad, if I do say so myself.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Sounds like you've got the same option list that I do.

Got mine for $18,500, out the door (tax, license &doc fees included).

ambercadabra:
    Glad you found us. The original premise of this gang was to provide emotional support while we were suffering long waiting periods for delivery of our cats. (5mo for me) All we could do was envy those who were piling up miles and admiring stares.

Skip G.
    Ambercadabera:
    The CSG was originally set up for those who were waiting to take delivery of their Cats. Some of us had to wait MONTHS to take order, so in order to remain patient we used the CSG to support each other through the long wait. So your more than welcome to join our growing group.

For the full CSG story, check out our new home page at: http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup
  • I'm waiting for my cat to come in. Should be here today so I should be able to get in tomorrow or Sat. I don't know if reading this board is making the anxiety better or worse. It is definelty building up the excitement.
    oops! Messed up my HTML tags on that last one. O-Well!

>8-)
  • malibumalibu Posts: 155
    Where are you located..the reason I ask is I called my dealer today to check on status of my kitty, I still have 4-5 weeks to go. He has been very consistant on the timing which is good. He did say he has a black special order coming in tomorrow. Someone ordered about 1 month before me, but couldn't tell me the name. I'm in San Luis Obispo, CA. Just curious if it was you.

Badulah:
    I too need to know what kind of towel or Chamise to use to dry my black cat when she arrives, I want to wax her ASAP and I have been really worried about what kind of cloth to use. I have always had red cars also and this is my first black one. We all have so many little quirks in common, no wonder we love the same car!

Thanks. Lisa.
  • daexpertdaexpert Posts: 140
    Guess what guys? I am the owner of a NEW 2000 COUGAR!!!

Yup, I got me a V6 2000, manual (no more auto for me, somehow I'll learn to drive manual!), ABS, traction control, sunroof, leatherseats, everything. It's black.

I got the car for $20, 600. I know I know, it might seem too much for some of you but considering the fact that my car was a lemon and that I was fighting hard for the dealer to replace the junk I was driving, I don't think it's too bad. The dealer bought the car back and the payoff in the loan (for my previous car) is also done with, therefore I pretty much start fresh, no negative equity. Although, I'm sure the added some of that negetive equity to the car somehow, but I don't think it was such a bad deal after all. What do you guys think? If you guys think it was a bad deal for me, please dont' tell me!!! Cause I'll feel bad =)

Anyways, the dealer was set on giving me the car (which is fully loaded) for almost 22K, but I didnt' know there including the negative equity and stuff in there (like through my rebates). So I talked to them and was ready to walk out but then the manager told me to come back and renegotiate with them. So that's where we ended up.

The leather is not the one that came with the car, it's actually aftermarket, and the cost is about $950 but I'm "supposed" to be paying invoice for it. The main reason why I acceptd the deal was because it was much more reasonable thatn the crap they were giving me before about being like 2k down with negative equity and I do like the Cougar just not the cougar they gave me. So, now I have a black one instead of the silver one and I'll be learning to drive manual this weekend.

So what do you guys think about this entire ordeal? I think I did pretty well, and you can always do better, but I could have also done much worse like trading my car somewhere else and have them pay me like 10K for the car and then I'd really be in negative equity.

Well, this post was long enough, sorry if it doesn't make sense but I'm typing really fast and I'm excited that something worked out for me. = )
  • halo_1halo_1 Posts: 27
    DAEXPERT:
    Congrats, on your new and improved 2000 Cougar. Hope everything works out with this one. Regarding, the deal, the important thing is that you feel good about how it worked out. Personally, it seems you are in a better spot today than you were last week. Enjoy your CAT...

TO ALL THE NEWBIES:
    Congrats, on your new CAT...
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Posts: 70
    Congratulations on your new cat!! I think you'll find it's even more fun to drive with a stick (IMHO). Now get out there and bond with your new car!
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Daexpert:

I am seriously glad that you got what you wanted. As Halo_1 said, "the important thing is that
    you feel good about how it worked out." I'm glad we didn't have to call you away from the "H" :^) Have fun driving the MTX, once you get it down, you'll find the Cat is much more nimble (and hopefully, this one won't "sleep" all the time. Do you have an experienced MTX driver you can rely on for advice?
  • Okay, I knew it was supposed to arrive today so I stopped by the dealer after work and there was a line of six or seven Cougars like they just came off the truck. In the back, sitting quietly in the corner, was my brand spanking new cougar. I knew it was mine because it was the only black one and it had a five speed. I checked out the sticker and it was exactly what I wanted (I was a little worried about it coming in the wrong color or with a bunch of stuff I didn't order). I was exstatic(sp).

So, I get home from work already giddy and waiting for me was a message from my salesman saying to give him a call tomorrow and set up a time to pick it up. Tomorrow! Yeeee hah! This time tomorrow I will be cruising around town in a black cat! Well, I'm off to go change my pants now. Got a little too excited.

Malibu:
    I'm in Toledo, so it wasn't me. ;) You know what I don't understand? Why do you all have to wait so long? I asked for mine on Monday (3/27) and it's here already. They found mine at another dealer, though, so maybe that's the difference.
    Yeah, I feel pretty good about the deal. I knew going in that I would lose a little dough with the deal, but nothing compared to how much I would lose if I had sold the car somewhere else and then try and pay off my loan! My main purpose was to fight the dealer as much as possible and not get ripped off as much as they wanted to rip me off =). I think I did okay. There were some lessons learned definitely. = )
    ferrywhistle:

Congrats! Enjoy your first drive.
  • Congratulations. I've been reading your whole sordid story (I've been reading these postings since Monday I just didn't post until today). I'm glad you got everything worked out. Dealers suck. I was sooo paranoid going into this, but I must say mine has been great. Speaking of:

badulah or stageleft:
    If you do decide to list good and bad dealerships on your web site (which is great btw) make sure to include Franklin Park Lincoln Mercury in Toledo, Ohio as one of the good ones. They've been great. Found my car in 4 days and I got a great deal. Of course, I haven't picked up the car yet . . . maybe my opinion will change tomorrow.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    daexpert:
    Congratulations!! And I'm glad you're happy with the deal 'cause that's what really counts.

Hopefully, from now on, all your posts will be happy ones. Good luck learning the mtx.

ferrywhistle:
    Congratulations to you too!! Yeah, I waited over 3 months for my Cat, but it was factory ordered with a born-on-date of 2/17/00 (sounds like a beer commercial). Looks like you got lucky.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!
    You got a real good deal. I got the same color and options minus the leather seats, and I paid slightly more than you did. But then again, my dealer shafted me (but that's another long story I don't wanna relive).

I love my Cat. And even though, I may have paid more than others, she's still a bargain compared to other cars I could've bought instead of the Cat and driving her makes me feel like a million bucks.
  • Born on date of 2/17/00, huh? That's pretty cool. One day before my birthday. I wonder if I can find out when mine was born. Do you know how I could?

And don't worry, I will enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. I plan on picking it up tomorrow and not coming home until Sunday night. Maybe I'll come home for a couple hours on Sat afternoon to wax it. I stopped on my way home today and spent over $50 on wax and cloths and car soap and a bunch of goodies. I bought all Meguiar's products, since I've read so much about them from all you. Can't wait to test 'em out.
  • malibumalibu Posts: 155
    Ferrywhistle:
    I wanted the special edition, so I had to factory order it. Soooo happy for you and a bit jealous too! It seems like everyone has a new kitty and I sill wait...I guess I'll have to continue the sleuthing to find out who ordered the black one here in town, as long as it isn't a girl with blonde hair and it's not a special edition than I'll still have one of a kind.

Daexpert1:

Way to go! Congratulations!
  • meowlammeowlam Posts: 9
    daexpert - Great job sticking to your guns! I'm so glad you stuck with the Cougar too.

MTX is the best -- take it from someone who spends much of her time crawling on the freeway in rush hour (the only drawback to being a SoCalif girl). I feel much more connected to my kitty, and I think that MTX makes me a more aware driver. Here's a great hint I got years ago -- think of the clutch like it's a dimmer switch. Good luck, and have f-u-n! :-)
    ferrywhistle:

We added a new subtopic to the CSG discussions that you can type up your full experience with the dealer you chose. If you click the "Topics" button at the top of this page, it'll list the CSG subtopics, one of which is Dealer experience. Thanks!

Hang in there Malibu, only a few more weeks!
    ferrywhistle:
    You can ask your dealer for the born-on-date. That's how I got mine. They have a computer printout that tells them when the car will be made in the factory, then they add about 2 weeks to determine delivery date.

It might take you more than a couple of hours to detail the Cat. It took me about 4 hours on Saturday to wash and apply polish wax and 4 hours on Sunday to wash and apply clearcoat wax. But then again, it's my first time detailing a car, so I took my time and kept reading the directions over and over just to make sure I don't skip anything.

Malibu:
    Yeah, I hope by the time you get your Cat, you're still "one of a kind." But if not, you could always dye your hair black. :>)

Meowlam:
    Right on about mtx. After driving an atx for the past 8 years, it's nice to go back to a stick. You're definitely right about feeling connected 'cause you're using all your limbs to drive the car (no offense to anyone driving an atx, especially someone whose name begins with an H :>) ).
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Hey bad-man,

Are you still planning on posting pictures from your DC get together last weekend?
    Daexpert:
    CONGRATS! I'm really glad you were able to get rid of your problem Cat and get a nice shiny new one.

Malibu:
    For GREAT detailing tips, see Jimbo_G's detailing write up on the CSG home page at: http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup/reviewlahs.htm Everything he reccomends I use, Jim knows what he is talking abour when it comes to detailing.

-Rob
    http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup
    Krnch:
    We will be posting some pics from the meet in VA sometime next week. I just got my pictures back yesterday. I scanned them and sent them to Stageleft last night so he can arrange them on the home page.
    I will be picking up my cougar tonight and tomorrow nice and early I'll be learning to drive manual. Hopefully, this car is in good condition because I didn't even get to test drive it since I don't drive stick!!!

You guys have any tips on driving manual transmissions? Let me know if you have any, thanks guys.
  • Wow you guys sure talked a lot since I was gone..

Dsaint - thanks!! I've been nervous since this is my first new car that somehow I've been getting screwed on this whole deal. I feel so much better having someone tell me I got an ok deal. WHEW!!

I guess I got lucky in another respect, too - my dealership had my EXACT car on the lot. No locating, ordering or anything. I wanted it, so I got it. The only reason I had to wait was because I had to get rid of my old Z, and I wasn't about to let a dealership screw me out of a trade in value. All in all though, the dealership has been fantastic - polite, courteous, and IMHO, honest. I cant WAIT to drive my purrin' lil' kitty cat off that lot...

daexpert: like anything else (and being a musician myself, familiar to me)..practice, practice, practice. Take your time, find yourself a buddy who knows an MTX, and try not to lose your patience. Trying to muscle around a 2,000 pound piece of metal doesn't work very well. It takes a little time to get used to the feel of the clutch...shifting is the easy part. Getting going is the trick. Good luck!!
  • halo_1halo_1 Posts: 27
    Has anyone seen the Autobytel Commercial...The Cougar is the star of the commercial.

It starts out with the viewer being in the point of view of a paper boy. The paper boy tosses a about three papers perfectly on three seperate lawns. The last thing he tosses is a car that twirls in the air. When the car lands in front of the house, it is our Cougar.

If L/M doesn't want to advertise the Cougar, at least other companies like the car enough to put it in their commercials.

BTW, the Cougar also makes an appearance in the movie a "Stir of Echos" with Kevin Bacon. Actually, it is a pretty cool shot of the Cougar being cleaned by someone.

Just thought you would like to know this info...
  • jadejade Posts: 10
    Ok, after catching up on posts upon my return from a business trip, I'm about to go outside and get some pictures of my kitty's aftermarket sunroof. We have MORE headroom and not less with it installed, and I keep seeing posts saying it cuts back on the space.

Since I just got a nice new shiny digital camera, I need something to try it out on. :) So expect some pictures later.

On a sadder note, I now have two dings in my passenger door. F******g inconsiderate SUV drivers. NO ONE in the spaces on either side, and I come back out and this monster truck is parked RIGHT next to me. Grrr. SUVs must die.
This discussion has been closed.