Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Movies... Ever!

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't bother with A Christmas Carol (too scary for kids, and dull anyway), and Where the Wild Things Are (ditto).
  • AVATAR is fun to look at, and tediously boring. Story? What story?

If you have a large flat screen TV, wait and rent it, when you can put it on pause and take a nap.
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    Despite the trailers and other scenes that you've probably seen, I walked out of this movie feeling sad.

I suppose it's because of where I am in my life and knowing what's happened to so many folks lately (job losses) that I felt this way.

There were, however, many funny moments and, overall, I enjoyed the movie. Just don't go in expecting to come out overjoyed.
  • I've heard the same reaction from quite a few people. Well, fine, I'm getting very tired of the obligatory Hollywood happy ending. It has made all outcomes predictable. I can watch TV if I want that.

I felt the same about The Wrestler--- a fantastic movie but it skews all the expected cliches....the come-back kid does not "win", he does not marry the good-hearted stripper, and the reconciliation with his long-lost daughter is not one big smiley face.
    That's actually what I liked about it. It was gritty and real.
  • Fabulous movie. It pulled a 98% on rottentomatoes.com. That's a remarkable score to get from moviegoers who are just randomly entering the site to vote. Even Sean Penn just about admitted at the Oscars that Mickey Rourke was robbed.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    that Mickey Rourke was robbed.

Pre or post botched face lift? I'll try to rent that one on RedBox... sounds good.
    The botch works with his character - an image-is-everything old man trying to seem like an invincible young wrestler.
  • That's what I liked about the movie---Rourke turned the camera on himself really---the real him---and didn't pull any punches. It was brutally honest and took real guts to expose one's soul to the camera. The entire film "rang true" as few films ever can. This is not Meryl Streep over-acting yet again.
    You didn't like Mama Mia? :D

My daughter just watched that on HBO. I'm not really a fan of musicals. They sing about every little thing, it's like a bad Elvis movie. :shades:
  • She drove me nuts in Julie and Julia---she really hammed it up. I liked her in "Doubt" though.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    Well, fine, I'm getting very tired of the obligatory Hollywood happy ending. It has made all outcomes predictable

Try reading the book "Battle of Brazil" Its about the fight Terry Gilliam (of Monty Python) had with Universal studios over his movie "Brazil" (One of the best movies ever BTW). The movie has a very dark ending but Universal wanted a happy ending. The result is that there are two versions of the movie one Gilliam's vision with the dark ending and the studios version called "The love conquers all" version. Most people view the "love conquers all" version as junk.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    You didn't like Mama Mia?

It's worth watching just to hear Pierce Brosnan break out in song. :)
  • Poor boy can't sing worth a damn.
    Oh that part was painful. Streep pulled it off, sort of.

If Pierce were a horse in Brazil, and it sounded like that, we'd take it out back and shoot it, out of mercy.

I gotta see that movie, BTW, I was born in Brazil. Is that where it's set?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    I gotta see that movie, BTW, I was born in Brazil. Is that where it's set?

Sorry, the name of the country in which "Brazil" is set is never mentioned. The title comes from the song "Brazil" which, in various versions, is the only song in the movies soundtrack. It has something to do about the "escapistsness" of the song. In the opening it gives the date as "Somewhere in the 20th Century" and the sets, designs and clothing have elements of every decade of the 20th century.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Cloudy with a Chance of Da Meatballs: It was fairly decent. A few smiles and a chuckle from my son. Clever and entertaining with a nice moral. 2 1/2 "Jip"Stars.

District 9: One odd ball and nutty movie. Came close in the beginning to turning it off. Turned out to be fairly good. Throw logic out the window, and the 1.8 million aliens (these would be the type from outer space) living in a detention camp in Johannesburg Africa isn't that far fetched. Cheesy and campy, I thought it moved along at a nice pace. Reminded me a lot of the movie, "The Fly". It gets 2 1/2 "Jip"Stars.
    Maybe it's because we've seen a lot of real stinkers lately (Where the Wild Things Are, Disney's a Christmas Carol), but Cloudy was sooooo much better than those that I remember it fondly.
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,700
    District 9
    Up
    Star Trek

(I guess I like fantasies...)

I saw Up in the Air. It was very well done, but somewhat depressing. My teenage kids didn't like it. It's still good they saw some reality of how life is out there.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,644
    Even Clooney got a dose of reality at the Oscars. Did he look unhappy or what?