Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Movies... Ever!

Comments

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,275
    Kirstie...I'm with you on High Fidelity....I don't care how many times I've seen it, I can watch it again.

About Fight Club...it must be a male "thing". I can watch that over and over again. If you've got a good subwoofer in your home theater. it will shake your walls during that movie.

Moo....Christopher Guest is an aquired taste...at least for me. Like you, I know people who adore movies he's involved in. Personally, it's hard for me to sit through them. I'm probably a party of one when I say I hated Spinal Tap.

I'll have to put Festival Express in my Blockbuster que.
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Posts: 2,039
    I'll have to put Festival Express in my Blockbuster que.

Highly recommended.

Spoiler Alert: Don't read any further if you don't like knowing anything about the movies you're watching.

Apparently in 1970, shortly after a certain giant festival was held, a promoter had a great idea. He would rent a train and put a ton of different musicians on it and send them across Canada playing at different venues. This was release in 2003 and shows some real favorites of mine. The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Buddy Guy, and the Flying Burrito Brothers just to name a few. Really cool to watch and really cool to think about what you would be doing if you were on that train. :blush:

-Moo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,391
    High Fidelity... Too many asides to the audience.... I hate that.. a little goes a long way.

Jack Black's character was tops, though!

I love mockumentarys.. Best in Show is a favorite... Waiting for Guffman, also..

The Grifters might be my favorite Cusack movie.

I agree with the Coen movies, also.. I never get tired of Fargo.. and, Raising Arizona? Cage has never been better.. O Brother, Where art Thou? Who knew George Clooney could act?

I love movies.. :)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,896
    Life is Beautiful, the story about the guy and his small son in the concentration camp. I enjoyed both the subtitled and dubbed versions, but I think the subtitled one is the way to watch it so you get the wonderful staccato of the Italian and gutteral German languages that convey so much in the movie.

Also, Das Boot, in German.

And Passion of the Christ too. A very powerful film.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Love 'em and never get tired of watching:

Singing in the Rain
    Top Hat
    Daddy Long Legs
    Silk Stockings
    On the Town
    An American in Paris
    Brigadoon

I guess I favor any film with Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. Btw, the absolutely BEST female dancer EVER in films was Cyd Charisse. :shades:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,765
    Actually with the right equipment and an unmarred vinyl record it is the best sounding medium.

Your right about that. Back in the good old days of records I would get my hands on a lot of DMM's the sound quality of those equals anything that CD's can do today.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

I think you're missing my point, but you tell me. I'm not saying that majority rules. But if there are only a handful of people that can appreciate a movie, then what is the point?

Here is my point, to appeal to more people you have to appeal to a lower common denominator. In other words to appeal to more people you have to compromise on what could make it great. Sure Wells could have made CK appeal more to the general population but to do that he would have removed much of what makes that movie great.

Ask yourself this, who has greater music Mozart or Weird Al? Now ask who appeals to more people?

Cool Hand Luke

While a good movie I find that in to many places it tends to drag on.

Shrek

First one was very good, the second was even better, the third seemed like they just threw something together with little thought. It just didn't have the elements of the first two (although I did like Pinochio not telling a lie).

Now you go!

Movies I thought were cool?

Any thing with McQueen (the king of cool).
    The Best Years of Our Lives
    Glory (look closely you might see me)
    Casablanca
    The Haunting (original version)
    Brazil
    DOA (original version)
    Laura
    Maltese Falcon
    Dead End
    The Big Sleep
    The Guardian
    Band of Brothers (Ok its a mini-series)

Thats enough for now.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,391
    McQueen? The Thomas Crown Affair..

The look on Faye Dunaway's face when she realizes that she betrayed him, and what she's lost.. Wow..

Forget Dunaway in Bonnie and Clyde and Network... In The Thomas Crown Affair, she was HOT!! ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• fezofezo Posts: 9,364
    "Glory (look closely you might see me) "

I beg your pardon?

I missed being in the 4th of July parade in Jaws by a matter of days. Right place; wrong time.
    Bladerunner is one of my favorite movies as well.

While it was a good movie I was a little bit disappointed in it as I was hoping it was more like "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" which I read many years prior to "Bladerunner" being made.

Was Rick Deckard an android?

Citizen Kane simply doesn't pass that test. Would you rewatch that movie?

Yes more so than Star Wars.

Hmmm... I might feel another viewing of The Caine Mutiny coming on!

Oh another great movie with a great line in it "If you want to make something of this I will be in the parking lot. I am a lot drunker than you are so it will be a fair fight".

Now that I think about it how about "Mr. Roberts"?

I beg your pardon?

Oh you don't have to beg you're old enough to steal.

Anyway I used to do historical re-enacting and I was at part of the filming of the movie "Glory" and if you know where to look you can get a halfway decent view of me in the background. I have caught myself and people I know on the History channel and was on live TV (ok it was C-Span does that count).

• jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Cyd Charisse. Agreed.

I suggest an addition to your list of Musical & Dancers: Bob Fosse's All That Jazz. Good plot, pace and performance. I am not tired of seeing it.

As for other sort of movies… well, there are many titles in my list and I cannot drop out any. Each of them has its own for me.

Jose

Here is my point, to appeal to more people you have to appeal to a lower common denominator.

Snake, I'm not talking about the masses. I'm talking about appealling to more than the .00001% of the people who act like they get it or the stuffy film buffs who refuse to believe that there is anything better than vinyl available. It may be an excellent movie. The "best of all time" is what has driven me up the wall for a day.

There are quite a few Independent films that I have really enjoyed that don't appeal to the masses. From what I have read, CK did not break any new ground with special effects or camera work. What Welles did was be the first to combine all those elements together at once. Fantastic!

If someone is going to say that a film is the best ever, then there better be some support to back it up. I slipped into a mild coma when I watched that movie. Why, in YOUR opinion, is that the best ever. Because AFI said it was? C'mon, Sheepweasel.

-Moo
    Ask yourself this, who has greater music Mozart or Weird Al? Now ask who appeals to more people?

I don't think that example is the best because "Weird Al" sucks. I think the majority of people would listen to Mozart. At any rate, I know where you're going with that.

The difference here is that I can appreciate the beauty in Mozart's compositions. I "get" it. While I may not break out a Mozart CD every day, I certainly can appreciate it and enjoy it. It also helps that I was a classically trained pianist for 14 years, but that's neither here nor there.

My issue with CK. I don't "get" it. Why would anyone in 2007 watch that movie? Compelling storyline? Comedic value? Learning about the human condition? And if the film can address anyone of those, is there a modern counterpart that can do it in a better way? The resounding answer is "yes", and CK is by no means the BEST movie of all time.

-Moo
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Ahh, yes, forgot about that one. He was in the film "Kiss Me, Kate", which was not a stellar movie musical, but Fosse outshone the other dancers in that. His work was outstanding, however, his choreography is much more impressive on the live stage.

I'm going off topic now. Guess we'll need to start a new discussion, Broadway and the Best Plays Ever! :blush:

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Since this is an Off topic discussion board, I think you have carte blanche to vear off course whenever you want. ;)

-Moo
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    I will be out of the track there, not living in America. I have just seen three Broadway productions: Sweet Charity, Cabaret and The Producers (was that its name?). Cabaret was which I liked the most.

Jose
    Snake, I'm not talking about the masses. I'm talking about appealing to more than the .00001% of the people

Come on now more than 30 people get and understand CK. Most people I have talked to that have seen the movie can tell me what Rosebud is.

From what I have read, CK did not break any new ground with special effects or camera work.

Not sure what you mean by breaking new ground. It did do a lot of things that were not done before and combined many effects and styles. You want new ground in CK try deep focus (see below) first used in CK. As well as a technique called wipe as well as several new types of camera angles.

Why, in YOUR opinion, is that the best ever. Because AFI said it was?

Well for one thing I was saying it was one of the best or it was the best since the early 80's that was well before AFI come out with their list.

Without writing a thesis on the film I will touch on a few things. The actual filming of the movie. There are several scenes in the movie where action in taking place at different intervals from the camera. Usually a director will focus the camera at what he wants the audience to focus on and change that focus when he wants us to focus on something else. Like when tow people (who are different distances from the camera) are talking the camera will focus on the one talking, when the other talks the focus will switch to the other. this is often unnoticed by the viewer. Instead of doing that Wells uses a technique called deep focus where everything is in focus and the viewer in one way or another decides on what to focus on. Different people will focus on different things. Even the same person will focus on different things when they view the picture again. This allows different people to get something a little different out of the movie.

I could go on with such things as what was the meaning of rosebud? The theme that nothing or no one is as simple as one would seem or try to force. The montage of Kane and his wife eating tells a complex story. The use of lighting, the use of table top photography and how it ties into the opening shots. The theme of how a man changes throughout his life and how power effects him. Not to mention how this movie influenced many film makers afterwards.

C'mon, Sheepweasel.

Now that was a cheep shot.

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    the 2 best movies ever made are blazing saddles and THE BOONDOCK SAINTS :shades:
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,275
    Making me take a mental inventory of movies I've enjoyed, but have not seen in awhile. Ones that I'm going to break out and watch again.....

Reds (best thing Nicholson and Beatty ever did)
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos nest (speaking of Nicholson)
    Once Upon a Time in America
    A Beautiful Mind
    Good Will Hunting
    Ragtime

Gotta have a John Wayne movie in there.....

Rio Bravo

Count me as one of the people who really don't care all that much about CK. I've seen it. Regardless of it's alleged artistic statement, I just don't care all that much about it.
    Most people I have talked to that have seen the movie can tell me what Rosebud is.

Yes, someone posted that is was a sled. Apparently that saved me about 3 hours of my time. I guess it's a metaphor for his youth or rosebud could mean something about someone's anatomy. Whatever.

I appreciate you trying to explain why it is the "best" movie out there. However, my question to you is, is there no other movie now that is better? I just hate the title "best", especially when it's too boring for me to be able to make it through the whole movie.

I may be beating the dead horse now, but that's my take. I respect your opinion on it and appreciate you taking the time to banter on the subject. ;)

C'mon, Sheepweasel.

Now that was a cheep shot

I thought I was being clever. :P

-Moo
    Cuckoo's Nest is awesome. I loved the book as well. I haven't seen "Reds" before. I'll check that out.

How about some spaghetti westerns. Hang 'em High rules!

-Moo
    Reds (best thing Nicholson and Beatty ever did)

Saying something that Beatty did isn't saying much.

Gotta have a John Wayne movie in there.....

If you want Wayne what about
    The man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    The Shootest
    The Angel and the Badman
    and the John ford Cavalry trilogy of :
    Fort Apache
    She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    Rio Grande

I guess it's a metaphor for his youth

It was a metaphor for the happiness of his youth that was torn away from him, a happiness that he searched for his entire life as shown in the movie.

However, my question to you is, is there no other movie now that is better?

Actually I think that Hollywood has lost the art of making good movies. Very few made today would make my keeper list.

If we are talking about westerns how about?

The Terror of Tiny Town

Ducking and running

• fezofezo Posts: 9,364
    "The Terror of Tiny Town."

Ding! There must be some prize for someone bringing that up in a best movies ever topic!

John Wayne....that gets tough. Good calls on The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (not only a good movie but a great song which never appears anywhere at all in the movie but pretty well launched Gene Pitney's career) and the Shootist.

Quiet Man, too.
    Ding! There must be some prize for someone bringing that up in a best movies ever topic!

Not sure what it would be but maybe accepting it isn't a good ideal.

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    just picked up the guiet man on dvd last week for 5 bucks best 5 i spent on movie in a long time.