Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rendezvous Overheating

13»

Comments

• buddo9buddo9 Member Posts: 18
    If you email me I can send pictures.. ( buddo19ATPTDDotnet )
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe you can post them at a photo hosting site somewhere, like Flickr, and link to them. Then future owners will be able to find them without having to try to track you down.

Thanks!
  • tammilanitammilani Member Posts: 5
    More issues with my 2002 RDV. I am replying to my initial post from 6 months ago to refer to how quickly and possibly connected these issues have been. Transmission fluid is now leaking from my car. It seems to happen at the time when the car is started. This started on Friday. As you can see in my original post that I had to have the transmission replaced less than 2 years ago, along with the transfer case and a new radiator ($6,000) and then the head gasket issue in January (6 months ago). My question is.....is this new leak related to the previous repairs as I believe this should be under warranty and taken care of. Seems like a seal was not up to par, but that's just my opinion. Can anyone tell me if this should be the responsibility of the dealer?
  • ab0534ab0534 Member Posts: 1
    Could you please send me the pictures as well or post them somewhere. I have a 2003 Buick Rendezvous and I'm having the same problem.
  • jeteyejeteye Member Posts: 2
    OK...i have 2002 CX with about 100,000 miles and it overheated, had all the hoses replaced, flushed, etc, $1,100 BILL ...then started overheating again..they told me because it overheated once (which as soon as the red light came on I pulled over). that it now needs a new head casket at $2,750! WTF? Really, I think I will just go buy a new car and it will NOT be a GM!!
  • jeteyejeteye Member Posts: 2
    OK...I have 2002 CX with about 100,000 miles and it overheated! I had all the hoses replaced, flushed, etc, a $1,100 BILL ...then started overheating again..they told me because it overheated once (which as soon as the red light came on I pulled over). that it now needs a new head casket at $2,750! WTF? Really, I think I will just go buy a new car and it will NOT be a GM!! OH, they told me they are not sure if that would fix the problem either...what a con game...
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    We're sorry that the initial repair did not resolve the overheating problem. If you would like us to look into this further, please don't hesitate to email at [email protected] (include your name, contact information, and last 8 of your VIN).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • busa02busa02 Member Posts: 1
    Requesting photos from buddo9 on overheating rendezvous engine compartment.
    Hello,
    Yes the engine compartment is the problem! The cooling fans come on but all of that air goes beneath the engine leaving the engine to bath in it's own heat.. Bad design !
    I can only send photos via email.. Just correct the dot and at... buddo19ATPTDdotnet
    Bud
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2012
    You can post them at a photo hosting site like Flickr or Tinypic and then link to the photo URL (or use the IMG buttons to post them here). Or email them to me and I'll put them on Tinypic and link to them. ([email protected]).

That way the next owner won't get heartburn trying to track you down in six months. :)
  • bigdog31bigdog31 Member Posts: 1
    Please send me pics of your hood that has been cut. I have a 2002 buick rdv and have already replaced the water pump and thermostat and dont have anymore $$$ for repairs so thank you for posting a corection to this issue. For the person that speaks against that. maybe they haven't dealt w/the frustration of getting stranded on your way to work twice in one week after waisting money on repairs only to have the same overheating problem. So thank you again because I sure dont see GM providing any answers to this problem.
  • crittercatchercrittercatcher Member Posts: 1
    Well, I bought my 02 POS brand new w/all options. The computer went out completely about 8yrs ago...who knows how many miles are on it. Had window reg. replaced, hatch latch, it's overheating (Deep South-hot) and needs $2200 just to fix that. Replaced rad. and the latest is the leaking gas tank. GM had a recall for that very prob, but said my VIN wasn't included.I explained that if I burn in a fiery fashion my family will own them. I will get a horse and buggy b/f I EVER buy GM again.
  • brandon98brandon98 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a second vehicle and i had a deal dropped in my lap this morning.

2002 Rendezvous with a 150000 km's on a rebuilt engine. For only $1000.

And Yes, the engine was replaced because of this head gasket issue so many others have had.

My question is, since the engine has been replaced, will i still have to be concerned about the head gasket in the future or would this problem be rectified?

I am fine with only getting a year or two out of this vehicle for this price. Just looking for some advice and knowledge from people that already own one of these vehicles.

Thanks in advance
    Brandon
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Head gasket can fail on any vehicle, commonly because of a overheating issue (and being driven HOT for a while).

This era 3.x engine (from 95' until sometime on 03' I believe) had an issue with intake manifold gaskets that would fail and create coolant loss. I think this lead to the overheating condition and created an opputunity for head gasket problem. If the newer intake gaskets are on the replaced engine and coolant level is kept up it should be fine. JMHO
  • quinnrquinnr Member Posts: 1
    A friend took her 05 CX into a shop because of overheating. They replaced the radiator, but never flushed the lines and filled the coolant tank with water....just water. So naturally it overheated again. Then told her it was the thermostat. They replaced that as well, but still did not flush the lines. It is still overheating or at least reading that it is. The shop is a complete joke and have no problem messing with people. There is a whole lot more to the story but none of which will help the car run any better.
    Is this an issue with the rely? Or did they screw something up that might not be repairable?
  • msocccerwmsocccerw Member Posts: 1
    Hey brucemcgr,
    So did you ever get the problem fixed? Because I got the same problem. Thanks.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Good morning msocccerw,
    What year is your Rendezvous? I would be happy to check the resources I have to see if I have any troubleshooting tips I can send your way.
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • terraineterraine Member Posts: 1
    please tell me how to get the pic from buddo. the email he listed not working. if any has the pic re: 2002 buick rendezvous overheating issues. please let me know. thanks.
  • vinoevinoe Member Posts: 5
    Hi there, I have a Buick RDV 2002 I have change the head gasket, thermostat, and sensor because it was overheating, but when I start the car it still overheating! I don't know what's the problem now, can somebody pls. Tell me why?
    The engine compartment design is BAD,, The air comeing in from to two fans go to the place of least resistance down under the engine.. The upper area has No ventelation ! The engine sits high cooking in it's own heat... The rubber seal at the windshield can be cut 1" x 2 ft. from center.. Leave the botton of that guard there for water run off from windshield.. Mine is perfect ! Heat destroys engines !!!
    Thanks buddo9 I'll try that.
    But when I start the car to test it to see if it still going to overheat the hood was pop, but still nothing's change the temp still high above normal.
    vinoe, Could be a number of reasons. If you replaced the parts yourself did you properly bleed air out of system with two bleed screws? Have you checked coolant level in radiator (while you at it might as well change cap as it has some age on it). If it was ever run low on coolant (with air in system) the coolant may have gelled creating blockage somewhere . You could check to see if fans work as they should by running vehicle with A/C on full (fans should come on withing a few minutes, both of them)
    Thanks ray80.
    But I've done everything you said and still the temp goes up past the middle line. I don't know if this is normal or not because before it doesn't go past the middle line until the head gasket problem. I'm just hoping that it needs more bleeding. Thanks again!
    edited March 2013
    'I'm just hoping that it needs more bleeding.' With vehicle on level ground and heater on full.

One other thought, Not sure on the vous but on the Pontiac version when stuck in traffic the temp gauge sometime would get pretty close to red line before fans work kick in (normal operation), if your old T-stat has a leakage thing going on it might have always run a tad cooler (as coolant would always be circulating and not be stopped by closed T-stat)
    That's what happened to me before when I got stuck in traffic the temp goes high but when there's no traffic the temp go down but no really down just stayed on the middle line.
    Thanks again I will keep on working with this car hopefully it will go back to normal again..
    Car is good for now, it's not overheating but still need to replace radiator because i found a leak and i have to replace the water pump too.
  • tunester10tunester10 Member Posts: 1
    Having the same EXACT problem!!! Now going through the process of elimination. $$$$. If you see this let me know how it went.
  • dlsodlso Member Posts: 1
    buddo9,

Dont know if you are still out there but I have a 2006 rendezveuos and it heats up when i am waiting in car pool line etc. I would also like your pictures and will show hubby your post. I think you hit the nail on the head with the bad design by not allowing the heat to escape. Maybe they should be testing these cars in the real world in real world situations.
  • prience24prience24 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2002 Buick rendezvous. I had intake gasket change twice. Once at 30,000 miles and at 63,000 miles on guage read out. Now I have 83,000 miles and I have the same problems. It's the lower intake gasket. You loose coolant slowly and smell it but not signs. This car has multi problems.
    Gas guage fluxes, AWD light stays on, loosing coolant slowly, all this been repair before and now I have the same problems again. Problem with rendezvous they ride nice, look good, but sucks on liability. This good car for start out mechanic you will get a lot of experience on this car.
  • rendezastekrendezastek Member Posts: 2
    Have you tried having the coolant changed out? I now use the any vehicle antifreeze by Prestone.
  • sandragtzrmzsandragtzrmz Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 buick Rendezvous has been overheating..we're changed out the radiator, the water pump, and the thermostat..and its still overheating. Now i've been told its most likely a blown head gasket.. how expensive will that be to fix?? Will i have anymore overheating issues if i get this fixed?
  • autotech9autotech9 Member Posts: 1

I understand everyone's frustration with the Rendezvous, but as an owner of one I will say that they are not that bad. The engine compartment does get overheated, but if this was the total cause it would be so from the factory brand new. Which is not the case. The underlying case is ultimately the intake manifold gaskets are faulty, causing the loss of coolant. In most cases this can cause a head gasket to blow, if overheated. Cracked heads are not to common but warping is. The new updated intake gaskets are much thicker, and better built to handle the heat. Remember this motor, (3.4) is used in over a 100 different GM models.

@autotech9 said:
    I understand everyone's frustration with the Rendezvous, but as an owner of one I will say that they are not that bad. The engine compartment does get overheated, but if this was the total cause it would be so from the factory brand new. Which is not the case. The underlying case is ultimately the intake manifold gaskets are faulty, causing the loss of coolant. In most cases this can cause a head gasket to blow, if overheated. Cracked heads are not to common but warping is. The new updated intake gaskets are much thicker, and better built to handle the heat. Remember this motor, (3.4) is used in over a 100 different GM models.

I would tend to agree for the ones made before intake gasket change in 03' All three 3.x engine vehicles we had that were 97-01 models needed intake gasket replacement early

• renabostwickrenabostwick Member Posts: 1

I have a 2003 rendezvous and a week ago had the overheating trouble with the light coming on...mine has 118,000 miles I have had it for 2 and a half years. I bought a new radiator because mine had small leak, my boyfrient is a car guy so he installed it...still the next day same problem I pulled over 3 times on my way to work..we then put in new sensor, and thermastat. Still same problem. yesterday we downloaded alldata online draining and filling cooling system, followed it step by step there are 2 bleeder valves under engine block. we used zerex radiator super cleaner...removes tough cooling system deposits. tons of gunk came out. then filled with exactly what it told us..which is a little more than u would expect (antifreeze 50/50) ever since its running like a champ..no more lights coming on fan working properly. just remember its important to pull over and shut it off or you will crack gaskets...block... but this seemed to be a solution for us...I hope it helps.

• naturebabiesnaturebabies Member Posts: 1
    my 2005 Rendezvous started overheating. blew both head gaskets and cracked both heads. had them replaced along with the thermostat and water pump. top part is all new including sensors. a month after spending $2600 to fix it all, it overheated again. shop had it towed in and replaced the water pump again. not even a week later it did it again. now they want to. send it to another shop to see if they can find out what's wrong. anyone have a suggestion? I don't have any more money to put into it.
  • wrongwayf85wrongwayf85 Member Posts: 1
    05 rendezvous started changing thermostat water pump radiator the gauge pegs out hot but car is not overheating still having the problem when the light comes on when its hot shut the car down have not checked for exhaust gases in the radiator or the electrical wiring  near the back of the front seat I have been reading a lot of articles and it looks like one of three  things that it could be wiring computer or cluster if anybody has any suggestions or have recently ran across the same problem please let me know thank you
  • achughesachughes Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Rendezvous that is also overheating. I replaced the engine about one and a half years because of a blown head gasket and put a engine in with 100,00 that was guaranteed for 6 months. Shortly after the engine was replaced, my daughter wrecked the car and busted the radiator and front end. I took it apart and then left it sit for about 1 and 1/2 years before doing anything with it opened to the environment. I ordered an after market radiator, A/C condenser (it was damaged also) & fans with housing. I recently was able to put the front end back together and filled it with coolant. It started up without a problem and let it idle for a while. Within a few minutes, it began to overheat. I shut it off and did some investigating and found out that I had to bleed the system and I did. Now it does not go all the way hot but hovers around the mid point but wants to go higher. I have checked the oil for antifreeze and there is none. I also bleed it again. When I drive it, it does cool down. When it idles, that is when it starts to heat up. I did check and the fans are working.

Does anyone that follows this have any suggestions about what my be the cause of it wanting to overheat. I want to give this vehicle to my son. Could it be a thermostat, water pump, or the dreaded blown head gasket. Any and all comments welcomed.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    I assume you have checked the thermostat. My Buick typically ran with the needle at one temp with the AC on which turns the fan(s) on low speed for both. At idle without the AC on the coolant temp went up from 198 to 217 when it turned on the fans on low. So the gauge would go up markedly from the nominal place on the gauge. But it was not up to the red. I believe on the leSabre, with two fans, the second fan went on high if the temp reach 229 Deg F..

Since you said it does not move the gauge up when the car is moving, I suggest you find someone with a scanner that can be attached the diagnostic connection that gives temperatures for the coolant. I had bought one to read codes and watch other things that can be checked. You might be able to borrow one from a box store as a loaner. But someone may have one that's a step above the code readers.

With that scanner attached, I got a digital readout of the coolant temp from the computer's sensor, which is different than the one for the analog gauge on the dash of that leSabre.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• DaqueenbDaqueenb Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Buick Rendezvous and the car is overheating I've changed the radiator water pump Dex Cool on the refill new serpentine belt tensioner pulley in the car still overheating also change the thermostat my reservoir is boiling and the water shoots out of the radiator when you start the car with C top off please help
  • Currently2buicksCurrently2buicks Member Posts: 1

Looking for good advice on overheating problems on my 04 Rendevous CXL AWD 3.4l-Engine rebuilt 11yrs ago, (overheating), & replaced headset gasket, reservaced heads, replaced 2 valves, plugs, wires, radiator, water pump, all hoses, thermostat, belt, coolant temp sensor, flushed done. Transmission replaced 9 yrs ago (code, shifting hard, & metal fragments in pan). I’ve had no overheating issues since until recently, late October. Radiator burst at bottom on left corner. Replaced the radiator, cap, & bottom hose, and coolant. All seemed fine until my daughter said she had no heat. Had thermostat & a heater hose replaced. Now she said the needle is fluctuating from middle to next to running hot again! Ugh, any advice on what to check or do next?