Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Overheating

Comments

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,183
    Couple thoughts. T-stat maybe? Did you bleed all the air out of system after changes? Radiater cap without proper seal could let air in system and coolant could gunk up and cause problems.
  • buddo9buddo9 Posts: 18
    I thought you needed help on overheting problem !? ,, Mine is fixed !
    The stuff you talked about was done previous to my purchase of the Buick R..
    Thay guy did not know anything about poor air circulation so I bought it knoing I could cure the problem ...... NOW! Do you really have a problem or are you from GM sniffing around..
    I already sent them my diagnosis which is correct!
    My Buick R,, has run cool now for two years,,,,,,,,,,,,
    To whom are you replying? You should click on reply to a particular message instead of starting new thread, otherwise we don't know.
  • stacey920stacey920 Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    So can you please send me a picture of your work.
  • ms_vms_v Posts: 1
    I am not sure where to start. I purchased my vehicle in 2010 it has over 100,000 miles on it and since 09/2011 my buick has been overheating. The gauge flucuats while I drive it on the reguar streets with no rhyme or reason. I can't even attempt to drive it on the interstate or it will overheat in less then two minutes and start loosing power. I have replaced temperature gauges, hoses, radiator, and everything that could possibly make a vehicle overheat and to no avail, I still have the same issues. Even the shop that fixed my car can't explain why it is still overheating after spending thousands of dollars. They have tested the engine when it is reading HOT and the engine is not hot. I am so frustrated at the fact I would have to continue to invest money into something that doesn't seem fixable and is at this point a guessing game. This seems to be uniform from the other complaints that I have read. I am not sure that I am relieved to know I am not the only person having this problem or more frustrated seeing GMC is doing nothing about it to fix our problems. When is GMC going to accept responsibility and put out a recall to fix these poorly made vehicles and stop making the cusomers suffer. I am to the point I will NEVER purchase another GMC product, EVER!
  • clm51clm51 Posts: 9
    The exact same thing happened to me the past Jan. I had to have the instrument cluster rebuilt (you can't purchase one, either old or new). The cost was about$500. Was told orginally that it would have to be pulled and sent off to be rebuilt. I would be without my car for as long as 2-3 weeks. But my mechanic found a guy 2.5 hours away who would come to my town and do it in one day. Haven't had any problems since. My mechanic did tell me before it was fixed not to drive it out of town as I would not have any warning for true overheating or busted water pump, etc. BTW, my engine was not overheating, the guage was just messed up.
    Good luck. I've been driving Rendezvous for 9 years. They haven't had any more problems than any other car I've ever driven.
  • rellison8rellison8 Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    I am having much the same issue with our 2004 rdv. Over the winter it developed an issue where the gas gauge would be all over the place and not reading accurate. When you would take it on a long drive the speedometer would not always return to 0 and would continue to climb when you accelerate until it was wrapped all the way back around to 0. Now this spring it is giving me fits where any time I pull my boat or slow down from highway speed the gauge rockets up past 1/2 way and I have seen at as high as 3/4. I have checked the cooling system and it has good clean coolant, fans seem to be working fine, water pump seems fine and thermostat must be working cause it will at times go back down leading me to believe it is allowing coolant through the system. Also when we have been driving it for a while and slow down we can hear what sounds like a bubbling sound coming from inside the dashboard area. Not sure what is causing that either.

So I am now wondering if I really have a cooling system problem at all or if the gauge is just messing up on me.

Anyone got any advice before I start to sink big money into the cooling system.

Thanks!
    bubbling would have me thinking about air in the system (or low coolant if you prefer). Won't help with the other issues though
  • Yeah, I was thinking that too, until I opened the radiator and its full and the overflow tank has fluid in it also. So where would the air be in the system and how do I get it out?

My wife took the rdv out today and its near 80 here and she said she never had one lick of issues with it acting like it wanted to overheat. It seems extremely random and mostly when I have my boat hooked to it. Funny thing is I don't even have to actually drive it anywhere. I can hook the boat up, fire it up in the driveway and just let it sit and run and the gauge will just keep getting higher and higher. I am almost wondering if its not an electrical issue and when I hook the wiring harness to the boat up if that is somehow playing a roll in it. Whatever it is I am sure clueless as where to start.
    If there is air in the system, there is two bleed screws to get it out. (don't know where they are as I haven't had a need to look for them)
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    ms_v,

I am sorry to read about the multiple trips you have had to make to get this overheating concern looked into. Have these all been made to a local mechanic, or to one of our dealerships?

If we can look into this further with you, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage and the name of your involved dealership) and we'd be happy to do so. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the forum, will advise you further.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kmoore4kmoore4 Posts: 3
    I so agree with you there........... I have had it with is GMC. It sits in my driveway more than on the street because of over heating! I have had the intake gaskets remove twice and now on the 3rd set, new water pump, new belts, new transmission......now... I am looking into the fans because they are not keeping the car cool down!
  • kmoore4kmoore4 Posts: 3
    The T-stat is fine... It has been sitting in my yard because of money to repair it again. I hope to get it fixed this weekend. I need a car! I have replaced the transmission, water pump, battery, belts, hoses, and this weekend the intake gaskets again...this will be the 3rd time! I am also looking into the fan system. This may be the major problem with the car....Thank you for trying to help me.... if you have information on the what to replace on the fan part please let me know what to look for...Thanks Kathy
    I don't want to assume anything, is it actually getting into the red zone on gauge or just close (in particular while in slow/stopped traffic)? One quick way to tell if fans are actully working is to turn on the A/C, both fans should quickly turn on. Could also be temperature sensor/connections are not working correctly.
  • dolfinitydolfinity Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Hi... I have had the overheating problem since October. It has always been very warm under the hood, and I have the telltale melted paint under the hood, but I have never seen the temperature gauge go over the halfway mark. Suddenly one day, the car completely shut down while driving on the highway. The Hot Engine warning light came on, It was a warm day, and the car had been idling for awhile before driving. I was also running the A/C. Then the weather turned cool, and I didn't see the problem for several months. I keep the reservoir full will DexCool, although there is a lot sludge in it. Now the weather is heating up again, and I'm getting explosions of DexCool from the safety valve almost every time I park. I have DexCool all over the engine, the inside of the hood, and leave a puddle of the coolant wherever I park. And even after a short 10 mile drive, it sounds like the engine is percolating (like every bit of fluid is boiling) after I stop. It is scary. I'm a single Mom, and this vehicle is my lifeline. But I also can't afford to pay thousands, or even hundreds for a repair. I have had the car for 6 years. Also, about 2 years ago, I noticed the speedometer occasionally dropping down to 10 or 5 while driving on the highway. It has gradually gotten worse to where now it occasionally reads the correct speed, but usually stays at 0. That seems to be a common issue with the Rendezvous. What kind of repair bills will I be looking at? I was told that the overheating issue was a problem with the engine heating core, not the radiator. Dunno.
    If you have coolant all over the place in engine compartment I would suspect a hose that's leaking, This will quickly lead to low coolant and overheating that can do some serious damage. You also need to check coolant level in radiator by removing the cap (while cold), the reservoir fill isn't going to be good enough.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    dolfinity,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and concerns. I would recommend speaking with a GM dealer, even if its only to get the concern diagnosed. Please feel free to email me directly. Any updates on your concerns are appreciated.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • royalteeroyaltee Posts: 1
    MY 2003 BR TEMP GAUGE GO IN THE RED WHENEVER IT FEELS LIKE IT. WHEN I PULL OVER THE ENGINE IS COLD AS ICE, THERE IS NO SMOKE OR STEAM,I HAVE HAD WORK DONE AND NOTHING IS WORKING. IS THIS AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM? IT GOES UP AND DOWN AT TIMES BUT IT SEEMS TO BE STAYING IN THE RED MORE. I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!
  • dscott4dscott4 Posts: 1
    i have replaced 2 themastats, new fluid, no leaks, i would so like to see your photos, can't afford a head gasket, could it be a rad. cap??
  • Hi, i have a 2002 Buick rendezvous with the same overheating problem, your explanation of how to fix the problem is pretty clear, but I would like to see some pics of the work since my husband doesn't know English and even thought I explain to him how to do the work It's better if he sees the procedure in pictures, please I need your help you've been the only one that has made a really clear explanation, my email is aneiv2007@hotmail.com, thanks in advance, take care :)