Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Overheating

1235»

Comments

• vinoevinoe Posts: 5
    Thanks buddo9 I'll try that.
    But when I start the car to test it to see if it still going to overheat the hood was pop, but still nothing's change the temp still high above normal.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,275
    vinoe, Could be a number of reasons. If you replaced the parts yourself did you properly bleed air out of system with two bleed screws? Have you checked coolant level in radiator (while you at it might as well change cap as it has some age on it). If it was ever run low on coolant (with air in system) the coolant may have gelled creating blockage somewhere . You could check to see if fans work as they should by running vehicle with A/C on full (fans should come on withing a few minutes, both of them)
    Thanks ray80.
    But I've done everything you said and still the temp goes up past the middle line. I don't know if this is normal or not because before it doesn't go past the middle line until the head gasket problem. I'm just hoping that it needs more bleeding. Thanks again!
    edited March 2013
    'I'm just hoping that it needs more bleeding.' With vehicle on level ground and heater on full.

One other thought, Not sure on the vous but on the Pontiac version when stuck in traffic the temp gauge sometime would get pretty close to red line before fans work kick in (normal operation), if your old T-stat has a leakage thing going on it might have always run a tad cooler (as coolant would always be circulating and not be stopped by closed T-stat)
    That's what happened to me before when I got stuck in traffic the temp goes high but when there's no traffic the temp go down but no really down just stayed on the middle line.
    Thanks again I will keep on working with this car hopefully it will go back to normal again..
    Car is good for now, it's not overheating but still need to replace radiator because i found a leak and i have to replace the water pump too.
  • tunester10tunester10 Posts: 1
    Having the same EXACT problem!!! Now going through the process of elimination. $$$$. If you see this let me know how it went.
  • dlsodlso Posts: 1
    buddo9,

Dont know if you are still out there but I have a 2006 rendezveuos and it heats up when i am waiting in car pool line etc. I would also like your pictures and will show hubby your post. I think you hit the nail on the head with the bad design by not allowing the heat to escape. Maybe they should be testing these cars in the real world in real world situations.
  • prience24prience24 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2002 Buick rendezvous. I had intake gasket change twice. Once at 30,000 miles and at 63,000 miles on guage read out. Now I have 83,000 miles and I have the same problems. It's the lower intake gasket. You loose coolant slowly and smell it but not signs. This car has multi problems.
    Gas guage fluxes, AWD light stays on, loosing coolant slowly, all this been repair before and now I have the same problems again. Problem with rendezvous they ride nice, look good, but sucks on liability. This good car for start out mechanic you will get a lot of experience on this car.
  • Have you tried having the coolant changed out? I now use the any vehicle antifreeze by Prestone.
  • My 2002 buick Rendezvous has been overheating..we're changed out the radiator, the water pump, and the thermostat..and its still overheating. Now i've been told its most likely a blown head gasket.. how expensive will that be to fix?? Will i have anymore overheating issues if i get this fixed?
  • I understand everyone's frustration with the Rendezvous, but as an owner of one I will say that they are not that bad. The engine compartment does get overheated, but if this was the total cause it would be so from the factory brand new. Which is not the case. The underlying case is ultimately the intake manifold gaskets are faulty, causing the loss of coolant. In most cases this can cause a head gasket to blow, if overheated. Cracked heads are not to common but warping is. The new updated intake gaskets are much thicker, and better built to handle the heat. Remember this motor, (3.4) is used in over a 100 different GM models.

@autotech9 said: I understand everyone's frustration with the Rendezvous, but as an owner of one I will say that they are not that bad. The engine compartment does get overheated, but if this was the total cause it would be so from the factory brand new. Which is not the case. The underlying case is ultimately the intake manifold gaskets are faulty, causing the loss of coolant. In most cases this can cause a head gasket to blow, if overheated. Cracked heads are not to common but warping is. The new updated intake gaskets are much thicker, and better built to handle the heat. Remember this motor, (3.4) is used in over a 100 different GM models.

I would tend to agree for the ones made before intake gasket change in 03' All three 3.x engine vehicles we had that were 97-01 models needed intake gasket replacement early

• I have a 2003 rendezvous and a week ago had the overheating trouble with the light coming on...mine has 118,000 miles I have had it for 2 and a half years. I bought a new radiator because mine had small leak, my boyfrient is a car guy so he installed it...still the next day same problem I pulled over 3 times on my way to work..we then put in new sensor, and thermastat. Still same problem. yesterday we downloaded alldata online draining and filling cooling system, followed it step by step there are 2 bleeder valves under engine block. we used zerex radiator super cleaner...removes tough cooling system deposits. tons of gunk came out. then filled with exactly what it told us..which is a little more than u would expect (antifreeze 50/50) ever since its running like a champ..no more lights coming on fan working properly. just remember its important to pull over and shut it off or you will crack gaskets...block... but this seemed to be a solution for us...I hope it helps.

• my 2005 Rendezvous started overheating. blew both head gaskets and cracked both heads. had them replaced along with the thermostat and water pump. top part is all new including sensors. a month after spending $2600 to fix it all, it overheated again. shop had it towed in and replaced the water pump again. not even a week later it did it again. now they want to. send it to another shop to see if they can find out what's wrong. anyone have a suggestion? I don't have any more money to put into it.
1235»