Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic Key Recognition Problem

car235car235 Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Honda
2007 Honda Civic It often will not start and displays the green Key symbol. Generally it will start after 3 or 4 tries [remove the key; reinsert key; retry]. But once it went 8 or 10 minutes of tries before accepting the key.
Any help with this starting problem or electrical system problem?

Comments

• targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    Don't ask me for the Honda service bulletin number but one was issued for a 2006 Civic "engine immobilizer" issue. There was a list of possible affected serial numbers. I believe it was an issue with the immobilizer module but you should check with your local dealer in any case because you have a problem....either the key itself or that module.
  • car235car235 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info on the "engine immobilizer" issue.
    The problem does not seem to be the key in this case as I have tried 2 different keys while having the problem and it made no difference. [I realize that two keys coming down the production line together could have a common flaw - but ...]
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    If you have an engine immobilizer issue where when it reads the key and it determines it's not a good key.......wouldn't it effect all the keys??

Think you need to look into the details of the immobilizer problem.
  • car235car235 Posts: 4
    You are correct - I think that you are saying that, if it's a bad key, then the car would work fine when I use a different key. Since the car continues to have problems, even with a different key, then the problem is the car - the immoblizer.

One difficulty is that the nearest dealer is over an hour away :(

And if it's not having the problem when I take the car to the dealer, it will be difficult to diagnose - the car only does the 'no start' very occasionally.

Surely I'm not the ONLY person to have this problem???

Thanks for your input!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Why don't you call your dealer, describe what's going on and tell them you understand there is a TSB for an engine immobilizer issue. Ask if they are willing to apply it even if they are not able to duplicate the problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Honda Civic Key Recognition Problem - Car Forums at Edmunds.com