Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Modifications

Comments

• blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Some random thoughts for all of you KKM fans. Since I've got some years on you, I remember when all cars used oil bath air filters. What a messy pain in the butt. It was a pleasure when all of the manufacturers changed to accordian pleated paper filters about 30 years ago. The major advantage, other than not having to wash, re-oil, clean up the mess on your hands and other surfaces, etc., was that the paper filters out much smaller dust particles, therefore protecting moving engine parts much more effectively. Why would I want to go back to the mess, cost, greater time consumption, higher engine wear and shorter engine life for a barely perceptible power gain?
  • jadejade Posts: 10
    I already have a radar detector. Since I never seem to notice how fast my kitty is going (it's always faster than I think), I use the detector quite often. Plus I just like to know when the cops are out clocking people, even when I'm NOT speeding. So does this mean I shouldn't tint my windows at all? Does it mean the darker the window the worse the detector will perform?
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Jade:

I'm not so sure it's the darkness of the tint that interferes with the radar detectors, as was mentioned, as much as it is what the tint is made out of. The metal-base apparently may interfere with the strength of signal received to the unit, therefore wouldn't provide much help, and would render the use of the detector moot. The plastic tint doesn't interfere at all, and I don't believe it matters what darkness it is.

Can anyone else firm up my theories here?
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    You are correct Lefty. Metallic coatings will interfere with the passage of radar signals.. Even a thin coating will have some effect, as radar waves are very high frequency (short wavelength), and are easily attenuated or reflected. As a matter of fact, the metallic tinting would increase your radar cross-sectional area and make you a bigger target.

Plastic would have no effect, as it's transparent to RF waves.

Skip G. (Electronic Eng.)
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    I have a radar detector and I hardly ever use it. I personally don't have much faith in them since I know what it is like to be on the other end of the radar.
  • bobschmbobschm Posts: 42
    I remember a study that showed people who used radar detectors got more tickets more often than when the detectors were taken away.

False confidence.
    This is very true. I personally have a heavy foot and sometimes drive a little to fast. If I were to use my radar detector (which has been in my glove box since I got it), i'm sure I would speed more often.
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    Remember most Radar hits are coming from straight on, and the front windshield
    is not normally tinted.

I will agree that driving the cougar is deceptive, its really hard to tell how fast your going
    I own a Astro too, and when I'm going 65 I know I'm going 65. In the cougar, I couldn't have a clue, other than the numbers on the dash.
  • jadejade Posts: 10
    Actually, I don't drive any faster with my radar detector than without. Since the cougar tends to go faster than I think I'm going, it keeps me more aware of my speed. I have it more for personal reasons I have about using radar detectors in general to catch speeders....In our area, speeders aren't the problem, it's the bad drivers that weave in and out, speed, and cut people off. A radar gun can't catch them. But that's my own personal beef.

As for more tickets, well, believe what you will. Personally I think it depends on the driver. If someone is going to drive like a lunatic, they will with or without a detector.
    Hey Y'all Remember the Cougar eliminator Concept, well
    I found the company selling its body kit and wing.
    imageimage

imageimageimage

Apparently it won't be available until, mid summer and I couldn't find any pricing.
    I'm gonna do some research :)
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    IMHO all the ground effects ruin the clean lines of the Cat. Also, it looks a little to(how can I say this) teenagerish. Was that politically correct!!!!?????? To each there own I guess!!!!
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    fredly:

Its interesting to note that whichever company is marketing the Cougar Eliminator Concept kit in post #41 also managed to move the fuel filler door from the passenger's side to the driver's side, judging by the lower lefthand photo.
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Posts: 53
    They probably juist mirrored the pic.
    Blane,
    as Jimbo said probably just mirrored it for effect or whatever.
    The company is called Visteon, a part of FORD, actually just announced they are going to be independant of FORD now.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Nice pictures. However, the only item I would like on my Cat would be the hood scoop and only if it's functional.

The rear spoiler looks too Ri#@boyish. The front spoilers will be eaten up by speed bumps or dips on the road. The side skirt takes away from the lines of the Cougar.

I wonder how much it'll cost just for the hood scoop.
    Ok total price(painted) was ~2000 they said on the website,
    so lets break it down some,
    spoiler $450-550
    front lip $250-350
    sides $350-450
    Scoop $150-200

I think those would be unpainted prices, although I am tempted to get a FX package
    the downsides of these packages will keep me away, (added weight, possible extra drag, and Damage due to PP (Pennsylvania Potholes) and Damage from AutoX'ing Not worth it to me.
    I just have to keep reminding myself of these downsides and I'll be OK.
    F_
    I personally like the Eliminator kit, but I wouldn't get it because the looks do not match the performance. Maybe that sounds crazy, but that's how I feel. If I installed a supercharger, I would consider adding the effects kit.
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    That makes sense. I thought about getting that kit when it first came out, but I have to agree, I was blinded by the uniqueness early-on. Seeing it now (not in the original two-color gold/green they used at the autoshow) it doesn't look as good to me, but then again I love the stock look of the car very much. I agree about the scoop though, if it's functional I might consider it, although I'm not partial to cutting holes in my cars! :^)

Take care all.
  • Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. I am considering the purchase of the new 2000 Cougar and noticed that Edmund's indicates there is a $1,000 customer rebate in effect for the Cougar from 4/1 through 7/5/2000. Can anybody tell me if this is a national customer rebate incentive and specifically is it available in my area--Northern Virginia (Washington, DC metro area). Thanks for your help. I have learned quite a lot about the Cougar from the posts on this web site an really appreciate it's existence. It was a big factor that has had a major influence on my decision to go with the Cougar.
    garyinvest:
    You should repost your last post in the general CSG topic. This thread is for Cougar modifications. If you click on the "Return to Topics" button, it will take you out to the Clubs Conference area and you will be able to view all of the active CSG topics.

Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
    CSG Caretaker
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    I like you would only consider the scoop...if it was functional.

I like the way the kitty looks. It looks good without air dams, side skirts, or whatever.

I just hope my kitty is good to go when it comes from the bodyshop.
  • Hey does anyone know where a guy could find visuals of the "sun and fun" or "sound and fun" packages. The dealer had some literature on them, but no pics. The only mods I can remember are....stylized spoiler, 6 disc in-dash cd changer w/ premium sound, cougar black-out decal in rear window. The "sun and fun" was a bright yellow exterior while the "sound and fun" was either black, silver, or laser red.

I've also heard of a Raush (sp?) package which is basically ground effects; if I'm remembering correctly.
    Catscratch:
    Sun and fun? Where did you hear about this package? I have never heard of it!

The Roush package can be found at:
    www.roushperf.com/vehicles/cougar

Another kit that mostly consists of visual modifications. The tires and springs are a plus, but not enough to make me run out and purchase it.
  • My salesman informed me of them yesterday. Had just arrived on his desk he said. He didn't have a price on the packages, just a brief description. If he would've had some pics and a price, I would've considered the sound and fun package, but as soon as I heard yellow exterior on sun and fun, I immediately ruled out that package.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    I like the way the Cougar looks as it is. If I were to dish out any money, I want some "real" function or performance improvement, and not just cosmetic improvement. Otherwise, I'll just leave the Kitty alone.
  • Dasaint:

ME TOO! I'd consider giving my cat something functional to boost performance, but I bought the car because I liked how it looked. If it ain't broke...
    The only way I would add an effects kit is if I installed a supercharger. And even then I would most likely leave the cosmetics alone.

I have seen a few web sites that feature "Raced" out Cougars. All show and no go. All the effects do is cut down on aerodynamics and add weight. Yeah they look nice (most of them, not all), but they can really damage the existing performance.
  • I'd have to agree with you Rob. I'd prefer more speed to more crapola on the outside, anyway. (is crapola a bad word??) Nitrous, anyone?? >:)
    I have seen a number of Cougar owners with TONS of crapola applied. Is it wrong for us to poke fun at "Raced" out Cougars and their owners? I can think of one individual I would love to confront about all his crapola (he is not a CSG member, at least not yet). Stageleft, you know who i'm talking about. Clue: He is an atheist when it comes to performance mods.

Crapola is a standard word in my vocabulary.
  • Glad to know that crapola is core vocab around here. And I think it's perfectly acceptable to poke fun at those who are foolish enough to overzealously modify their cars (cosmetically). It's like girls who wear way too much makeup - your money would be better spent on something to make you a better person, not just improving the paint finish.
This discussion has been closed.