Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - Modifications

Comments

• Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    From what you described, the problem is not going from 1st to 3rd and skipping 2nd gear. The problem is revving the car to 6K on 1st gear.

Going from 3rd to 5th is no big deal. Once you reach over 45 mph, you can put it in 5th. Although I don't generally skip gears except on a downshift.

However, a friend of mine has a '95 mtx Corvette. It's got a light on the dashboard indicating when to shift to 3rd gear from 1st gear (so you're supposed to skip 2nd gear). His car also has 6 forward speeds, so maybe that's why it does that.

But for the Cougar, there's really no reason to skip gears. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Hey guys, I am back......

Well not really, I am away working and using someone elses Internet account.

Anyway, I am now glad that there is an affordable aluminized tubing alternative to the Borla. I will probably order one after my wedding (5 August).

I remember when I had my aftermarket muffler installed on my car. The guy told me that Borla is usually the first on the block with products for new cars, that way they can charge the prices they charge and get away with it.
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    The action you're asking about is called "short shifting". It's no problem, especially from 3rd to 5th. 1st to 3rd has a pretty big ratio gap, and you might lug the engine a little, but still no harm. By the time you're up to speed in 3rd, under normal driving, you're already doing 35-40, and a light foot in 5th for just cruising about town, is more economical than running in 4th.

Road racers wil also use this technique for fuel conservation if not being pushed hard by teh competition.

Ain't stick shift fun???? ;)

Skip G.
  • Options
    Dig a hole, a very deep hole, jump in, and pull it down behind you.

Skip G.
  • Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Just to clear up a misconception I had:

I thought that if you were in too high of a gear for the speed you were traveling you end up being less efficient because to accelerate you push the pedal down farther to get moving quicker. I know you could downshift for those occasions (which seem to come up often). But then I was thinking that it might be harmful for the engine (not the shifting), because if you dump that much fuel into the mix it won't burn off properly, right?

I'm theorizing here, so set me straight. I would like to believe the Duratech is technologically advanced enough to protect itself from that, but I know older engines would suffer some.

Set me straight Skip. :^)
  • Options
    camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Driving in too high a gear for the speed could clog up the carb in older cars. However, with new technology the probability is low. You have to way your priorities (ie: performance vs fuel efficiency). If you look at the owners manual it would have us all in 5th gear at 74km/45mph. Great for fuel efficiency but frankly my Cat has made it clear she doesn't like cruising at anything below 3k rmp which means a minimum of 110km/65mph for 5th.
  • Options
    I agree, Camelard. Also, if you're in too low a gear for the speed you're traveling, it's a fine bet you'll hear some engine knock -- not really bad, but it does happen.
  • Options
    1. There's nothing wrong with cruising along with the engine ticking around 2-2.5 K RPM.

2. Downshift if necessary for better accelleration. Trying to pick up the pace in a higher gear while moving slowly lugs the engine (an old term) and may cause pinging or knock, even though the computer should prevent this by retarding the spark until the revs are up in the proper range for effecient operation.

An automatic transmission always keeps the highest gear until you step on it, and then it downshifts for better accelleration

3. Downshifting for accelleration is what the stick and clutch are for!! While the fuel mixture is richened, it is correctly burned as more air is also supplied, and the spark advance is also advanced to provide more power and an efficcient burn.

Carbs supplied the extra fuel via a part called the accelerator pump, the throttle plate opened, and the vaccum advance provided the spark timing. This is now done by the computer.

Easing along in a higher gear causes no problems or damage, and is the best thing to do for fuel economy. Use a light foot, and be prepared to shift for the demands of whatever occasion comes up.

Don't jump on it untill you need to, and just cruise around nice and easy. It'll last longer that way.

(Professor puts away pointer)

Skip G.
  • Options
    Thanks Skip! I knew you had an answer for me.
  • Options
    You're welcome.

I've been called one of the world's largest storehouses of useless knowledge, but once in a while it comes in handy ;)

Skip G.
  • Options
    I think that comes from too many years of watching Jeopardy!

Although I believe they could do a lot better for us if they had Automotive Jeopardy. They had Rock n' Roll Jeopardy, so it's not unfeasible -- they just need to put it on Speedvision.
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    I'll take "Race Boys and their Decals" for $100 Alex.
  • Options
    All of us have been pushing FMC to build a basic run Cougar with a bigger engine for quite sometime. From the way things look I doubt that will ever happen.

As an alternative to a 200hp V6, what do you guys & girls think about a 6-speed MTX in the Cat? If this was geared properly, I believe this would improve the pick up of the car, thus improving the overall performance.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I'm beginning to picture you as that 'Professor' character from Giligan's Island. Can we just address you as Professor from now on?!?

PS
    Does that make Badulah as Giligan??? :p
  • Options
    As long as i'm not Mary Ann, Ginger, or Mrs. Howel.
  • Options
    A 6-speed mtx. Now you're opening up another can of worms. You've got people now who go from 1st to 3rd and 3rd to 5th. If Cougar was a 6-speed, you'll have guys going from 1st to 4th and 2nd to 6th.

A 6-speed sounds cool, but the Duratec engine doesn't really rev that high compared to V-TEC or VVTI (in Celica). I'd still prefer more horsepower than extra gears anytime.
  • Options
    I think Malibu, Camelard and Coolchick would be perfect for those 3 you mentioned (and not necessarily in that order). ;p
  • Options
    I would also prefer a larger engine. I'm just trying to explore other ideas since there is no way were ever gonna see a basic Cat with a 200hp V6.

Do you think the 6-speed would have any benefit over the current 5-speed? Keep in mind that the Duratech is currently rev limited very low. If the 6-speed were ever put in, I think they should raise that limiter to 7,200 rpm.

I know some of this may sound outlandish. I'm just trying to gather new ideas.
  • Options
    daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    I would rather have a few more ponies, a little more torque wouldn't hurt either. I think most Cougar owners would be willing to pay a little more for their cars if they offered them with like say 200hp and 185 torque. I know I could definitely feel the difference with that. But not gonna happen. A little kid came up to me on Saturday when I was washing my car and he said "hey man, you got a tight (very nice) ride!...I want one of those when I get older." I said thanks for the compliment but I doubt if these cars will be around by then. = )
  • Options
    lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    I don't think a 6-speed would help Cougar performance. First off, the engine don't drop revs when you let off, so it's hard to upshift (downshifting's a breeze). Second, the torque band, once you get into it, is plenty for the 5-speed.

More power. More power everywhere. That'll do it. Either that or 500 lbs. less car.

As was noted, though, it won't happen. Too bad.
  • Options
    Well, theoretically that's not entirely untrue. Yeah, chances are we won't see a 200HP engine in the Cougar any time soon, but I've been reading up on industry news and here's my personal theory:

I think in 2003, they're planning on changing the Focus chassis to a larger platform (one that's going to be shared with the 2001 Mondeo due out in September in Europe). Since we've heard rumors about the current model Cougar going away in 2003, I think it's feasible that FMC would redesign the Cat to fit on a slightly smaller platform than it's on now, and with less car overall, that might reduce the weight. If at that point they decide to keep the Duratech V6 for that car, then it'll have shed that 500lbs. and you'd feel that difference even at 170HP. There is no truth to the above, it's just my speculation.

What do you think?
  • Options
    "... 200HP in the Cougar anytime soon ..."

I meant other than the "S" that's coming out in September.
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Taurus/Sable come with a 3.0 V6 rated at 200 hp. They could use that engine as the base engine for the Cat instead of the 2.5 and then Ford could modify it for the Cougar S for more hp.

I wonder if that engine would fit the Cougar and what the weight differential would be!?!
  • Options
    They did a study to see if it was cost-effective to offer the 3.0L and the 3.8(?)L V6's that are in the Taurus and Windstar, respectively, but decided against it for whatever reason. I just read something about that on one of the automotive news sites today. Funny you should mention that.
  • Options
    mortismortis Member Posts: 4
    Here are picture of the side markers from the UK.
    http://www.newcougar.org/images/FO-302etc.jpg">

Side markers are $39.00 for a set. Three colors to choose from: Clear, Smoked, Black. Prepaid orders only. If you are interest, send email me to orders@newcougar.org
  • Options
    http://www.newcougar.org/images/FO-302etc.jpg

Side markers are $39.00 for a set. Three colors to choose from: Clear, Smoked, Black. Prepaid orders only. If you are interest, send email me to orders@newcougar.org . Please put 'Side Marker' in the subject line.
  • Options
    http://www.newcougar.org/images/FO-302etc.jpg

Side markers are $39.00 for a set. Three colors to choose from: Clear, Smoked, Black. Prepaid orders only. If you are interest, send email me to orders@newcougar.org . Please put 'Side Marker' in the subject line.
  • Options
    I think we get the idea about the side markers =).
  • Options
    daexpert:

I think you're right.

All:

Since when were yellow blinkers not enough? What's next, clear Cougar tail light lenses? Yeah, right ...
  • Options
    Daexpert:
    You know what they say, three is a charm.

Those markers are not DOT approved, therefore are illegal here in the US.
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    I wouldn't give up my orange ones. They're the perfect accent on the Sapphire kitties.
  • Options
    Black lenses? Why not just put electrical tape over the current ones. That will give 'em the same look and it will also block the light just like the real thing. Who needs to see my turn signals anyway? It's not like anyone pays attention to them.
  • Options
    ptailorptailor Member Posts: 42
    Personally, I think the sidemarkers Mortis can get are ALOT better than the one currently selling with the cougar.

The stock orange lense is ugly and looks like a pumpkin decal on a black cougar. Whereas the clear/grey lense gives a nice contrast on the colors of a cougar. (I don't care for the black lense)

Now if the stock sidemarker was the SAME color as the reflectors in the headlights, then it would have looked alot better.
  • Options
    Personally I like the stock markers on my Black Cat. I would much rather spend my cash on a modification that will increase performance, or on something that is functional, like a cargo net, or after-market floor mats.
  • Options
    Not to deviate from the topic here, but I was wondering if you guys know where I can get pics of the Cougar with the pacesetter system? I remember seeign one the other day, it was a blue cougar with the Pacesetter, but I don't know where I saw it and I lost the URL for it. Any ideas guys? Thanks
  • Options
    Daexpert:
    Sorry, I have never seen one.
  • Options
    I got the pics! Someone from the NECO site was nice enough to post them up for me, so I was able to see them again. The pacesetter looks sweet in the kitty! I'm not sure what it will do performance wise,but I know that just for the looks it's worth it. My opinion of course. Unfortunately, I called Ptuning yesterday and they told me that Pacesetter are backordered for another 2 weeks!!! Two weeks is a long time to wait, so I don't know what to do now. What about you badulah, any news of your pacestter yet?
  • Options
    No news. I really don't expect to get it until the end of July.

Where are these pics posted?
  • Options
    Here are pictures of the Pacesetter dual exhaust. I also got them off the NECO bulletin board. I got a very quick response by the way.

www.your1source.com/couga...etter1.jpg

www.your1source.com/couga...etter2.jpg
  • Options
    Looks very similar to the exits on the Borla, but the ones here look like Monza tips rather than straight chrome.

They look really good. I'm excited now to hear them! Badulah, when is your kit coming in?
  • Options
    I ordered my Pacesetter from Ptuning, but it seems like they are on backorder till late July, so we'll see when they get here. I've tried several places and they are all backordered. I can't wait till I get them on, I think it looks sweet, for the price it doesn't look bad at all.
  • Options
    I think the Pacesetter looks good, but I am wondering about the performance gains.

It appears that the Pacesetter is really a large single muffler with dual tips as opposed to a single pipe splitting via a Y-pipe into two mufflers like the Borla or the Dynomax.

I could see how the Borla could increase flow but I wonder if the Pacesetter would give much better performance than my current exhaust that consists of a removed resonator, and and aftermarket muffler.

Also, in the NECO message board I even read a post that said the Pacesetter LOST horsepower. I don't know if this is true or not. If anyone has any other information, or opinion I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've read about the lose of power comment, but it was only posted once and I don't really think they have a way to prove it. I think the shop just wanted them to buy a more expensive exhaust, but that's my opinion. The Borla is a better quality product, but performance wise, I dont think the kitty is gonna jump from 170hp to like 190hp, not at all. I think the performance gain is minimal, you might FEEL like the car is faster but I don't think it's a huge increase in performance, although I'm sure there is some sort of increase. Am I making sense or am I just rambling? One of those days.
  • Options
    Nope, you're making sense daexpert. In fact, there probably isn't much being added other than the exquisite sound you get from most of the aftermarket performance kits these days. There's a huge discussion ongoing in the Sports Cars topic, under Bolt on Mods: More Horses or More Bull?

It's a really eye-opening topic, although I think I gained something by bolting on the Borla. I'm probably just blowing smoke up my own kilt, because even Borla says they won't make a kit for a car unless they can achieve proven gains in HP and/or torque.
  • Options
    I am beginning to think that the Borla might be worth it. I know for a fact that my aftermarket aluminized muffler began to rust after being exposed to the snow.

I also read that Pacesetters rust.

Based on what I have read, and seen, of the Pacesetter and Dynomax systems I might be better off paying to get a custom dual done at the muffler shop. I think (if I recall the right price) I could get it done for about $120.00.
  • Options
    It's quite possible that you could achieve similar results with a custom exhaust, but make sure you're getting a price with high-flow mufflers or I think you'll be wasting your time.

$120 sounds like a song! I remember when I had a 67 Mustang that the pipe rusted through. It was an I6 with one pipe, and I had Meineke make me a custom Y-pipe split dual for about half of what it would have cost to put original equipment on it to replace the old pipe. Interesting that two mufflers and some custom bent pipe cost less than one muffler and a pre-bent pipe.

Good luck, keep us informed.
  • Options
    I like the way the Pacesetter looks, but i'm not crazy about the yellow stripe or the yellow inside the tips.

I don't want to become a poster boy for the Beaterz site. Yellow = performance
  • Options
    esbrockesbrock Member Posts: 88
    The yellow inside the tip doesn't stay that way for long. Trust me.
  • Options
    Lots-O-exhaust grime I suspect.
This discussion has been closed.