Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Modifications

Comments

• bobschmbobschm Posts: 42
    $147 for an cat back is not bad.

Next question: Is it in enough pieces so it can be installed on jackstands in the driveway? or do you need welding, cutting, air tools, grunting, skinned knuckles, and multiple curse words?
  • esbrockesbrock Posts: 88
    As of May 30th, I still feel like I made the right choice in buying the Pacesetter. It sounds great and draws that much more attention to my Kitty. The last seal of approval came when my mother-in-law thought it was "too loud". I love driving on the highway now, that's where you feel the performance boost the most. The car just seems more eager to be revved up.

147 DOLLARS!!!!! That's two dollars cheaper than when I bought it. One word of advice, when dealing with NOPI, keep on them about your order. It took them a week to ship my order out. When I would call seeking a UPS tracking number, they would keep telling me that it was scheduled to ship the next day. At such a great price, I didn't make too much noise though.

Installation was somewhat easy. The system comes in four pieces. The pipes are painted black. The only tools you will need are a rachet set and maybe a coulpe of box wrenches. I installed mine in my driveway with the car sitting on jack stands. It took me 3.5 hours total, from pulling the car out of the garage to pulling it back in, to install it by myself. If I would have had an extra pair of hands and read the instructions properly, I would have probably trimmed that down to 2 hours. No special tools needed but I did include alot of grunting, a couple skinned knuckles, and several curse words. I feel shedding a little blood, sweat, and tears for my Cougar just makes the bond that much stronger.
  • daexpertdaexpert Posts: 140
    Hey esbrock,

Thanks for the update! Is there a lot of droning at highway speeds with the Pacesetter? Say you're going 65-75 mph, how's the soundlevel, does take over the car's stereo? Thanks.
    You can hear it but it's not that loud. It won't over take my stereo, but I don't have the factory head unit anymore. If you only have the 5W per channel factory CD unit, it maybe a problem. I wouldn't think so but I'm not sure.
  • cocheezcocheez Posts: 11
    If you guys want to check performance improvements and want to check horsepower at the wheels before and after a mod, you can use a little gadget that looks like a radar detector. It can calculate 0-60 and quarter mile times. It's pretty cool. Here's the website www.gtechpro.com
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I have never had a problem with my stock radio. Many have bashed it in the past but I think is sounds fine. I also have never had problems with the road noise overtaking the stereo.
    You also have the Pacesetter, fish8? For how long? How is it holding up so far, a good buy? Thanks.
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Yeah, those G-Tech's are pretty neat, but I don't have a 1/4 mile strip anywhere between two traffic lights where I can get a running start (w/o cops everywhere, anyway). Neat little tool though ...

Fish8:

I've never had a problem with my stock unit, either (as far as sound quality and noise level go), but then again, I didn't deafen myself in the early '90's by playing my headphones too loud, either ... :^)

Besides [puts on pompous aire], I have the PREMIUM stereo, FMC told me so!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    No Pacesetter here. I was just talking about the noise level with the stock exaust. Sorry for the confusion. Also, my car before this was a Jeep Wrangler so the noise level in my Cat is almost non existent compatered to the Jeep.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Since this system is not stainless, I have heard that it will crack and scale over time from the heat it generates. I had an inexpensive system put on my Camaro that fell off because of this after a few months.
    The web site says it has a three year warranty. Besides, when they rust they get louder. Real cool until the neighbors call the police on you.
    I figure if the factory exhaust doesn't have to be stainless, why replace it with stainless. That is why the warranty is there.
    The warranty on the Pacesetter is prorated, at least that's what Pttuning told me. I think most people already know about the difference in quality of the Pacesetter and the Borla, but not everyone is willing to put down the $550 for the Borla even though it's a great product. Personal preferences I believe, who knows? = ) Personally, I like the Borla, but $550 for the dual outlet? A bit too rich for my blood.
    Has anyone on here done a custom exhaust for their kitties? I've read of someone using DynoMax muffles and I don't know what else. He said they sounded pretty nice, but the cost of it all together (including nice tips like the CF Borla offers) probably comes close to that of the dual outlet Borla, what do you guys think?
    I am very Skeptical about custom exhaust systems. I guess they are ok if you go to a real exhaust pro, but my fear is paying a lot for something that actually cuts down on performance. If they don't get the back presure right, it will hinder performance.

For the cash, the Pacesetter sounds like a good deal. If you have a little more to spend, go with the Borla.
    For the price of a Borla you could buy three Pacesetters. Of course you have to do the labor of putting them in.

Is the Borla guaranteed forever? No pro-rating? If you plan on keeping your now classic Cougar for a loooooong time, Borla might be a better "investment".
    I have heard that Borla has a million mile warranty, but I don't know if it is pro-rated.
    Yeah, I agree with bobschm in that if you plan to keep the car for a long time then the Borla would definitely be better, because it is a long term investment, and a better product over the long run. But if you are looking for a cheap mod that won't cost you an arm or a leg -- the pacesetter is teh way to go I think. But eventually the Pacesetter would have to be replaced, unless you get rid of the kitty before that.

I saw a Cougar the other day with like 18" rims!!! It looked nice, but I don't know how that guy can make a turn, it looked like a very tight fit.
    I think the largest I would go would be 17" wheels. Anything larger looks to gaudy to me.
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    It might, but then again the larger tires tend to have a larger contact patch on the ground at any given time, so I'd be more worried about overall performance (acceleration, gas mileage, etc.) with all that extra friction. I think that when I get new wheels, they'll be 17" with about the same width, so I don't mess with the dynamics too much.