Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Domestics, Germans Fare Poorly In Latest CU Survey

123457»

Comments

• sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    as I reported above, on the fuel economy site, owners of the Impala SS have reported around 20 MPG, with one reporting 23 MPG on the highway.

Cobalt owners are reporting up to 36 MPG.
    Prius owners all report less than 50 MPG.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Sounds more like it.

My van was getting 31.3 mpg at one point on a trip, but for full tankfulls my average is more like 23-27mpg.

I refuse to believe you could get 30+ with an Impala V8 unless you were driving downhill from Pikes Peak. :D
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    I could stretch my MINI Cooper S up above 50 mpg for a few minutes but I couldn't maintain it.

I averaged between 35 and 40 mpg with that car on long trips depending on the time of year and if I was in the mountains or not.

I got between 25 and 27 in the city if I drove normally and a little less if I really hammered it.
    One nice thing about a big engine is that it can be geared tall for the highway. I'm sure that's how my 3.5l van can get 31.3mpg over a 120 mile drive, with lots of weight and the A/C on the whole time.

Still, city mileage takes a nose dive. You have to start and stop all that weight, and can't really take advantage of the gearing until you cruise on the highway (not too slow, not too fast).

Hit the sweet spot, in my case 46-60 mph or so, and mileage is phenomenal. But I'll admit you have to try to stay within that range and really make wise lane choices to keep above 30mpg. It's hard work! :shades:
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    My S2000 can get 31mpg if I drive it like a Civic, but if I drive it closer to intended, I get about 25mpg. However, that's still keeping out of the red zone most of the time.

I've read guys who track their cars, keeping it in VTEC mode the whole time will get about 12mpg :surprise:

My little AWD Impreza manual gets 31mpg at the moment, and that's cruising at 75-80 on the highways.
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    I burned through a quarter tank of gas doing 1/4 mile runs in the SE-R one night: about 3 gallons in 4 miles.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    Wow, was that a stocker?
    Yep. Cars get really bad mileage when you hang the throttle body wide open.
    I have heard from others on other forums that winding the northstar up under full throttle is good for it. So I do that some, but I have not noticed excessive fuel consumption while doing it. I am sure that it probably is getting around 1 MPG while doing this (will have to watch next time), but even so...
    A Northstar can't wind up as much as an SR20, and it probably depends on how the fuel maps and transmission shift points (on an automatic) are set up for the respective cars. I would assume a Cadillac is set up to make high rpms difficult to maintain.
    In second gear the engine will spin up to 6000 RPMs quite easily, which is about 70 MPH. Since the speed limit is 60, I take my foot of the gas at that point. Climbing a hill with the engine running about 2500 RPMs results in the instant MPG showing about 10 MPG. The transmission will stay in lower gears in manual mode until you shift it. With 315 lb-ft of torque, I do not give it full throttle unless there is plenty of room in front of me.

http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2007/HPT%20Library/Premium- %20V/2007_46L_LH2_SRX.pdf
    In second gear the engine will spin up to 6000 RPMs quite easily

I was thinking it redlined at 5000 rpm. Maybe that was the older ones?

If you could find the space to floor it and keep it planted for several minutes and keep the tranny from upshifting early, I bet you could blow through a few gallons, too.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,498
    The '07 Impala SS EPA sticker says 27 hwy. I have NEVER had a 6 or 8 cyl GM car or truck that couldn't beat the hwy sticker. NEVER!!!!! In 2007 GM can't make an accurate instantaneous fuel consumption gage but they have DOD, Mass air flow sensors, XM radio and air bags? Mileage can't go up to 35 or 40 or more when coasting down a hill in highest gear with foot off accelerator? If that is what you believe then you have little knowledge of physics. Search a little more and you will find SS owners who top 27 mpg on trips. The average owner of my 3.8 L powered car gets 19 but my last 3 tanks were 27, 27, and 28. What the car magazine gets is racing mileage. My '99 Sonoma 4300V6 ext cab that I bought if S. Fla in May this year got an average of 25.5 in the 6 tanks of gas driving back to Indiana, but it is rated at 21 hwy. When I bought a new '88 Formula 350 and took it to Orlando I got 20-21 mpg on the trip. Car and driver got 12 mpg when they tested the car. So what? 20% of the cars in my work parking lot have severely underinflated tires. Should their mileage numbers count?
    That can be seen at NHRA nationals tomorrow in Indy. They consume the same amount of fuel per second as an engine in an SR-71 spyplane with twin 38,000 lb thrust P&W J58's, flying at Mach 3 with full afterburner. J-58's running at full afterburner can be heard from 17 miles away on a ground test stand.
    You have answered my question. You do not have an Impala with the DOD engine, and therefor cannot make serious claims about actual fuel consumption. This is what actual owners of Impala's are getting (some with the V8):
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Chevrolet&model=Im- pala
    The first northstar had a peak horsepower at 6000 RPMs, so the redline should not have been less than 6000. My SRX's peak is at 6400, and I think red line is somewhat higher than that.

But I really do not want to run it wide open for several minutes. I assume that to use 3 gallons in 4 miles you made 16 quarter mile runs? :D
    What the car magazine gets is racing mileage

Not quite, but I understand your point.

Still, this is the same for every brand of car, and the imports tend to do best in any given class.

Overall: Prius, VW TDI
    Compact gas non-hybrid: Corolla, Civic, etc.
    Mid-size: Accord, Altima, Camry
    But I really do not want to run it wide open for several minutes. I assume that to use 3 gallons in 4 miles you made 16 quarter mile runs?

A quarter mile at WOT, a quarter mile back at 20 mph, and an eighth circling around the parking lot and the staging lanes x 7 times.
    Lots of idling and probably a few smoky burnouts, too.

You'll spend a small fortune on racing fuel, but if you're going to the track that's probably not in your top 10 list of concerns.
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    An old coworker of mine had a series of hot Camaros, Novas and Chevelles. I think his fastest car could dip into the 9 second range.

One run in that Camaro just about emptied the fuel cell. I don't remember how big the fuel cell was though.
    Wow, a link to Impala mileage that has one 2007 model w/5.3L user's data.

My claims are based on the relationship of EPA numbers and my extensive personal experiences.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?action=browseList2&make=Chevrolet&model=Im- - pala
    went to this site and looked up '97 Riviera. 2 users posted data. One gets 13.8 mpg with 90% city driving. The other gets 31.1 mpg with 90% highway driving. Just to show how much the data changes when you add just one more data point.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,588
    I think the point of all this is that American cars are not perceived as being the most fuel efficient, even though a model by model comparison would sometimes disprove that perception. Overall, it's probably true and that's why many buyers believe it.

There was also a 2006 with the 5.3 and if you checked into the data there, you would have seen a couple of long trips that resulted in 23 MPG. I am not sure why that one has more than one data point, but I will have to see if I can resolve my SRX data into local and trip data.
    I have done a couple of WOT runs with my SRX to see what the computer's fuel consumption says: the instant MPG reading was about 3 or 4 MPG; so I switched to the metric which said about 80 liters per 100 kilometers. Translating 80 liters per 100 kilometers into MPG is 3 MPG. So, one mile at that rate of consumption would be 1/3 gallon, or about 1/12 gallon for a 1/4 mile run. Perhaps a pint of fuel, or probably less.
123457»
This discussion has been closed.