Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - General Maintenance

Comments

• LakesongLakesong Posts: 2
    This is lakesong fellas...how you been?

Its replacement time for my BF Goodrichs.

I have 26k on my tires, and they haven't performed well since 18k.

I'm looking at Dunlop SP5000, BF Goodrich g-Force t/a KDWs and Michelin Pilot XGT V4/Z4s. Dunlop seems to get a better rating, in fact, its wet pavement rating is better than the Michelins on dry, but its cheaper. Do you think it is as good as the more expensive ones?

Let me know what you think right away, cause I need to buy them this week. I've put it off too long. I've done research at tirerack.com. and spoken with some local vendors.

Thanks ;-)
    BTW: hi Skip !
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    I've replaced the VR4's(at 18800) with the BFG G-force KDW's and can't stop singin their praises
    now as far as the others I do not know. What I do know is that the KDW's ran about 100 a piece from tire rack.
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Lakesong, that's interesting. With all the negative comments torwards the Firerocks I figured we'd be hearing about people replacing those before the BFG's. It's surprising that they're wearing at that mileage, although at 23+K myself, I'm in the market to find some new tires too (to replace my Firerocks).

Sorry I don't have any info on newer tires, but I know there is a topic in this Town Hall somewhere that discusses performance tires, so maybe you could check that out.

Good luck!
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Good to hear from you!!!!

Now I guess that answers the question as to where you've been- Out driving at high speeds and high cornering forces. Baby needs new shoes already.

Skip G.
  • LakesongLakesong Posts: 2
    I decided on Dunlops SP 5000s. Went up from 215 to 225s, the rest of the size is the same as I had before. The Goodrichs were awesome when they were new and up to 18K, but I wanted to try something different.

We got them put on at TireWorld. The guy that manages the place has a sport car, don't know what kind, but when he saw the tires on my car, he regretted getting the ones he had. He said he had never thought of looking into the Dunlops, and now wishes he had. Several of the technicians were admiring how the tires looked on kitty, and a mustang 5.0 owner walked around her twice scoping her and the new tires out.

I got these because I need to feel absolutely secure in the rain, and these are supposed to be really good in wet. They are rated 340 AA A.

I didnt want a summer tire, but I think that would have been my next choice, especially if I wasn't leasing, I think I would have two sets for the seasons, since our winters can be as hard as our summers.

I'll say goodbye for a while to all you die hards, I do want to know how to get a decal from Badulah though.

See ya !
  • catscratchcatscratch Posts: 34
    hey lakesong, what was your per tire cost?
    Don't leave us!!! :(

Does this mean that we won't hear from you for another 20K miles?

If so, drive fast but safe, have fun, and hurry back!

Skip G.
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    Has anyone had the plastic trim piece around the door handle come loose? Mine is starting to on the driver's side -- same door that has the poor paint job on the bottom edge and badly-fitted rubber seals around the door openings.

I think I had the Ford poor door lord working on my precious kitty the day she came down the assembly line.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I have not noticed that on my Cat. Though I have heard others talk about that problem. The dealer should fix it under warranty. I know its a pain to bring it to the dealer.

Do you have a noticable rattles in your car?
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    fish8 No rattles that I've heard. Tight as a drum.
    I get some rattles from what sounds like directly above the passenger side dashboard only when I go over large, jarring bumps such as bridge joints or driveway entrances.

Other than that, nary a rattle has crossed mine ears.

However, the Cat still displays the Battery idiot light when I hit 5000 RPMs when driving. It doesn't seem to affect driveability or power, but it is annoying. Last time I had the dealer check out that problem, he said it was nothing, but since it's still happening I wonder if it is something. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Sounds like you're driving your Cat a little too hard. Camelard must've been talking about you when he posted his response to "driving hard" in the other topic.

But the next time (which will be my first time) I hit 5,000 rpm, I'll keep an eye out for the idiot battery light.
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    It was extremely humid in Ottawa this evening after a day of non-stop rain. So when I got into my Cat after work I naturally turned on the A/C and what did I get. Smoking vents, no joke. Now I am sure it was actually steam rather than smoke but I have never seen anything like it. It did stop within about 30 seconds but still!

Have any of you that live in humid areas ever experienced this. Is it just accumulated moisture vapourising or is it something more sinister. Please advise.

Dasaint1: That's gal to you. Given that the Cat's rated at 170hp at 6250 rpm, driving at 5k rpm shouldn't be a problem as long as you are in 5th.

Stageleft: So what gear are you in when you hit 5k and the Battery light comes on?
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    The "smoke" is normal. It is just the cold AC air hitting the humid air inside the car. Thats why after 30 seconds when the inside was less humid the "smoke" stopped. The mist is just an indication of your AC working correctly.

6250 rpm: I rarely drive my Cat to that high an RPM. The only time I might is if I'm passing someone or if I need to show someone whose boss!!!!! ;-> If ya know waht I mean!!!????
    Camelard:

I hit 5k rpms pretty regularly. I try not to in first (unless I'm showing someone what the Cat is capable of, hehe) but in second, third (merging on the highway) it comes on. When I drop the rpms below 5k, the light goes out. My theory is that at that rpm, the engine torque might be pulling a battery or alternator cable tight enough to cause a disruption of current. I don't know. I will have them check it out again.

Dasaint:

I don't think there is a thing as "too hard", unless it causes the premature wearing of parts (other than tires). :^) As was stated, with a redline of 6250, I should be able to drive all day long at 5k, I don't, but should be able to. It does have dohc, and the sophistication of machinery involved with that aluminum engine block really is amazing. So, other than that little light (maybe it's reminding me to shift?) the Cat runs excellently.
    My apologies for the gender mistake.

Yeah, I suppose 5K shouldn't be a big deal for the Cat. It's got a top speed of 137 mph too, but there's really no reason to push it that far. 5K at 5th gear. Hmmmm, 3K at 5th gear is about 70 mph. 5K at 5th gear should be well in excess of 100 mph. You gals in Ottawa sure drive pretty fast.

I probably baby my Cat more than I have to since she's still fairly new.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Dasaint1:
    The sports package Cat will do 140mph stock. I tested it out one night, although I don't recommend anyone following my brilliant idea.
    I just said 5K in fifth was not "hard" I didn't say it was safe. Actually Stageleft when you talked about driving often at 5K I had visions of you cruising along at 100km/60mph in 3rd gear. My Cat is only a week and a half old so I must admit I don't go much beyond 120kmph which is about 75mph. I do however often hit 5k rpm accelerating between 3rd and 4th and 4th and fifth. I don't think I would try it in 2nd and certainly not in 1st, not enough range. I still believe the faster you get out of 1st the farther ahead you'll be. And frankly the lack of red line on the tach makes me leery of pushing it too much.

p.s. The nice thing about our Canadian metric system is I can actually say I drive 120 on a regular basis and my Cat has a speedometer that goes to 250. Cool huh!
    Camelard:
    So what your saying is that if you and I race from 0-60mph and you shift out of first at 5,000rpm, and I shift out of first at 7,000rpm you will win the race?

I know that is a primitive example, but generally speaking I wind 1st out to the rev limiter when ever I stop light race. Shifting to early will cause the engine to bog down in second. Am I wrong or am I just not understand what you are saying?
    Is America the last country using the English measurements? It seems like everyone else is on metric. Since when did Canada go metric?

Sounds like we're gonna need a drag racing contest between Badulah and Camelard to settle their dispute.

In the south corner, we have Badulah, with his slightly modified '99 Cat, who promises to rev his car all the way to 7,000 rpm or bust in first gear (whichever comes first). In the north corner, we have Camelard, the pride of Ottawa, in her spanking new '00 Cat who promises to shift at 5,000 rpm in 1st gear.

Place your bets, folks!!! I got a $20 spot (that's American dollars) on the Canadian gal. [Sorry, Badulah, I think you'll bust your engine before you get to second.]
    I agree as to the 1/2 shift point. 1/2 ratios are pretty close, and taking it to 7K puts you over the top of the torque curve. Shifting at about 5-5.5Krpm drops it to about 4K which is right in the fat part of the curve. At least that's what my calibrated accelerometer tells me (seat of the pants).

Try it, I think that you'll feel the difference.

Skip G.
    Dasaint1:
    The Duratec can actually be revved up to 8500rpms, but it stops producing HP at 8,000rpms. Stock you can rev it up to around 6,800, but with the chip the limiter is pushed up to 7,500rpms.

Skip:
    I'll give it a shot sometime this weekend. My friend from England will be visiting me for two weeks starting next Friday. We plan to attend an auto cross or two, so i'm sure we will experiment with shifting at different rpms.
    Dasaint1:

We switched to metric in 1976.

Badulah:

I am talking distance not speed (e.g. 1/4 mile). If you hit 7K rpm in 1st (even 5K for that matter) when you shift to 2nd the instant you release the clutch you will get the same effect as down shifting because you will have gone beyond the range of the gear. You may hit 60mph first but while you are recovering from the drop to 50mph I'll be waving by-by.
    So what you're saying is that I'm doing okay in the first-second shift by getting the secondaries open and busting the 5K for maximum torque build-up for the 2-3 hammer drop? Cool.

And just so you know, that puts me at about 53-57 mph (depending on the launch) but unlike Badulah, can't get the Cat to hit 60 in 2nd without having the chip. That's mostly better for line racing.

And to defend myself, I don't just go around "racing" anyone. We all know that the Cat is a great handler at high and low speeds. But we all know that the boy-racers (and girl-racers too: been seeing more and more) only really care about that 0-60 trap, so I believe the mentality is that if they can beat you off the line, they can claim superiority, but can't necessarily keep up around a 50mph 90 degree. I love to drive. :^)

But Monday I'm going to have the dealer check out the light thing once again, I have some theories that I'm going to explain so maybe they'll have some direction as to where to look for the problem. Odd, isn't it? How a service shop sometimes needs some help if the problem isn't obvious like a sparking wire or something. I'll let you know.
  • lizzyc37lizzyc37 Posts: 1
    Hi fellow Cougar owners. I'm a senior in high school and I was accepted to a college on full scholarship. My parents said that if I decided to go to this college, they would be able to afford a new car for me. That's how I just got my Cougar V6. I got it with 7k miles on it. Understanding the cicumstances of them buying the car for me because I went to college on scholarship, instead of going to others that I was accepted to that they would have to pay 20k-25k a year on...does that mean I'm spoiled? NO! It's not fair to make it sound like any kid whose parents buy them a car is a spoiled brat.
    The questions are what kind of car would you have bought if you had to pay for it yourself and which college would you have chosen. For me the car was a 74 Nova hatchback with no engine bought at a junk yard for $200.00. Add $300.00 for the engine bought at the same junk yard, and another $200.00 for labour and you can imagine my first car. And I went to the university of my choice.
    Camelard:
    You wouldn't happen to be going on the LP trip, would you?
    I wish I could make LP but unfortunately I have a conflict (drat those summer weddings).
    So a wedding is more important than the CSG?

Where are your priorities?
    If you come to our LP gathering, we will set up a Dragon Boat race in your honor right in Lake Placid.