Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - General Maintenance

Comments

• fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I agree with you totally!!!!
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    No teenager -- NOT ONE -- should have a car given to them, especially not a new car. It's idiotic! My parents were adamant that the only way I would have a car before I left home would be to pay for everything myself...car, insurance, gas, taxes, etc.

Last week I saw a couple of high-schoolers tooling around in a Jag Vanden Plas. What is going on with their parents????
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    My Dad gave my my first car. It was a 1987 Dodge Charger I4 MTX with 108,000 miles on it. I had to put about 1800 bucks in to the car before it ran properly and pay for my insurance. It needed the following:
    - New clutch
    - New water pump
    - New battery
    - New alternator
    - Massive cleaning in and out
    - New rear tires
    - Deodorizing (Nasty cigar smell)

So I did get my car for free, but I did have to put a lot of money in to it, and I was totally responsible for the care and maintenance of it. Not to mention it was FAR from new. I hope this doesn't make me a spoiled brat.
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    Okay -- I confess...my folks gave me a car when i moved away from home on my first real job. It was a 7 yr old Cutlass with 108K on it and a big ol' dent in the rear quarter panel. But they didn't even fill the gas tank on it! Everything was my responsibility the second it was out of their driveway!
    My first car was a 1980 Toyota Corolla With 140,000 miles. It was passed down from Mom to Dad to brother and finally me. That car lasted our family for about 186,000 miles. Good car!!!!
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    I think that if you have the time to do the Quik Detail spray, it's the best option for a clean car, too. I wonder why the CA duster would have wax on it? Maybe it collected it along with the dust one time? Hmmm.
    The little label on the duster stated that they put some sort of wax on it so that dust "clings" to the duster.
    Oh okay, wierd. Why do you think they'd do that if it leaves a residue on glass, don't they think that you'd use it on glass, too?

I don't get it sometimes, but if Swiffers were clearcoat-safe, I'd be using them.
    I'm not sure if the duster is made to work on glass. I think just the body of the car.

Tomorrow I'm heading down to Florida w/ the Wife and have packed my car cleaning supplies(car wash, bucket, towels and wheel cleaner. Tell me thats not obsessive. I'm going on vacation and still need to wash my Cat.
  • rickelrickel Posts: 34
    Well, nothing was given to me here...my first car was a 1976 Ford Pinto, which I bought on 2/29/84 with 75k miles on it. Cost me $750. The car needed rings right away, and every 75k thereafter, making me think of that 2,300cc Ford engine as one of the worst engines to ever come down the pike.

But the car started every morning during my winter in purgatory, AKA Nashua, New Hampshire, during the brutal winter of 1986-87-it was -15 or less for a month straight every morning. It motored me through hundreds of high speed pizza runs for Domino's. It powered me up Pike's Peak when newer cars were on the side of the dirt road with steam coming out from their radiators. It saw me safely through a 12,000 mile jaunt around the country that took me through the vast southwestern desert (just try to find a pay phone out there!) and through the wilds of Montana and Canada.

Because of that car, I vowed to always drive a Ford. And while the Cougar is a slight digression, it is in the same family, and I am most pleased with my choices up 'til now.

This is my third Ford product in 16 years. The Probe lasted ten years without any major glitches. And the Cougar came off the same line.

We have some mighty fine cars here, folks!
  • bobschmbobschm Posts: 42
    Just tried a new wheel cleaner. I'm not in my garage so I don't recall the name. It's made by Mother's and comes in a big fat spray bottle (not a foam aerosol). There are two versions, a red and a yellow bottle. The yellow is for factory finish, clear coated, etc. The red is a lot harsher and for steel, non-clear coat, etc. I used the yellow and results were very good. Spray it on, wait, then blast with the hose. Cleaned out that stuff in the ridge without scrubbing. For a lazyboy like me, that's good stuff.
    It's called Wheel Mist.

http://www.mothers.com/carcare/carcare.html

Works really well.
    I agree, some mighty fine cars, indeed. I don't know if the Cougar is a digression, though, more of a regression, or a progression ...
    And it's non-acid?
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    The wheel mist bottle you would want is the Yellow bottle it is formulated for
    clear-coat wheels, the Red bottle says Chrome and Rough cast aluminum.

(Yellow Bottle) Wheel-Mist Multi Purpose Wheel Cleaner
    (Red Bottle) Wheel Mist Wheel Cleaner

I think the Red is Acid Based nich-so-gut
  • I'm Chevy owner, to Ford Probe owner, to Chevy again, now back to Ford(ish). I will never, never, never, never (insert about 50 more "never"s here) buy a GM again. If I have my way, my kitty will be mine for a long, long time.

BTW DaSaint - c'mon up to Milwaukee, I'll buy you a beer and change your oil. I happen to enjoy getting a little grungy, just to have the satisfaction that I slaved over my baby all by myself. :o) Let me know if you need directions...LOL
    Um someone please e-mail me directions to Milwaukee.

Thanks!
    8-)
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Ambercadabra just invited all of us CSG members to her house in Milwaukee for a free oil change. And she's got beer money too. It might be worth going to Milwaukee just for the beer. Badulah, don't forget to bring some of Coolchick's brownies.

What kinda beer do you drink anyway? Old Milwaukee or Bud??
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Since all of us CSG members are Meguiar products users, maybe we can establish a relationship with Meguiar whereby we get discounts. After all, we're promoting their products by talking about it and using it as well.

I never heard of Meguiar's before until I started posting here in CSG.
    Actually I don't care for beer, i'm more of a Long Island Ice Tea man.

Buffalo wings and Ice Teas, a meal fit for a king.

Now back to our regular scheduled program "Cougar Maintenance".
    Dasaint1:
    We have discussed this issue, and are working on it. It would be nice to order this stuff with a CSG discount.

Membership has it's Privileges.

Thanks!
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    From your end of the country, you just drive to Chicago and turn right. Can't miss it!!

Skip G.
    The red bottle is plastered with warnings about testing on your wheels to be sure they're compatible. Go with the yellow bottle.

Does Meguiar make something comparable? Never saw it in the parts store.
    Where do I turn right, can you give me a landmark?
    Bobschm:

I'm not sure myself, but Meguiar's has a pretty nice website. www.meguiars.com
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Posts: 53
    They have a product for practically everything. The catch is it's virtually impossible to find their "non-wax/polish" products in a store the best bet iis to go to their website and order a catalog!! The prices in the catalog are pretty reasonable.

Jimbo_G
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    Dasaint, I am working on getting
    a corporate account with Meguiar's
    I wasn't really looking into the sales end of it
    but I'll ask my rep.
    F-
  • LOL all...and I didn't say the oil change was free, I said the labor was. BYO..um..OAF? Bring your Own Oil and Filter?? Beerwise, I have expensive taste...Guinness, Bass, but I'll settle for Corona in a pinch. And BTW Rob, I bartend on the weekends, and I make a MEAN Long Island.

Oh, just so I can throw in something ON topic here, what's the deal with the in-cabin air filter thingie? DealerGuy says to change it every 15,000 miles...is that accurate, and how much do the darn things cost?

Seriously though, I don't know where all of you live, but I'm game for a gathering in Milwaukee, or even Chicago...I can post directions better than "drive to Chicago and turn right", though (LOL Skip)..
    All:
    Currently Jimbo_G is working with his contact at Meguiars to get some sort of CSG discount going. As soon as we have the details, we will post them in here and on the web site.

Membership has its Privileges.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Chicago isn't a big enough landmark???
    Stay dry and you can't miss Milwaukee.
    Me, I just jump onto 294 North, and it's right there.

By the way, 294 works for those coming from the East, too.

Skip G.