Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Noises and Sounds

Comments

• Update....since I first heard the noise when starting from cold (zzzziiiinnnnggg) it is now doing it when accelerating for just a short while - it is getting more noticeable. Ergo, it can't be the starter that's making the noise - it must be something to do with the engine or the muffler - i can't decide which.

Here I go again - sigh, I'll get it checked AGAIN when I take it in for next oil change and to get the rear seats fixed where the leather seat edge is loose.

pelican19, any change in your reported noise like mine?
  • My wifes Limited still does it but we were told its functioning normally. Not in my book but it does drive fine. We now have 5k+ on it. Still keeping an eye on it.
  • My ' 07 Santa Fe 3.3L has 16,000 Km / 9,000 miles on the clock. Just recently, within the last 1000 Km, it has developed a very noticeable valve train tick. :(

Anyone else with same, having this issue?

TIA

John.
  • I am beginning to get a little nervous and hope there is nothing seriously wrong with the new engine.(I have a 3.3 too) Please keep us posted and how they handle it under the warranty!

Granted the complaints about the 2007 have been few, but are still troublesome for us first time hyundai owners!

Thanks
  • I just bought a 2007 Santa Fe SE, and I hear a knock (and feel it in the gas pedal) after driving about 200 feet from a cold start. It only happens once, and only during a cold start. I went to the dealer for service, and the technician said it was my ABS Pump doing a Self-Test. He said it's probably normal on all the Santa Fe's.

Does anyone else hear this noise when they start driving after a cold start?
  • All modern vehicles do an ABS system self test shortly after starting. It is sometimes felt as a brief vibration, and sometimes as a little thump or knock. It is perfectly normal.
  • i360i360 Posts: 74
    Take a look at your speedometer when it happens, the ABS makes that noise (vibration/knock on gas pedal) when you hit 20mph.
  • 15k, very faint but it is def there...
  • Yep... 20 MPH. Thank you for your quick responses!
  • Thanks for the reply pelican.

Going to take the SF to the dealer today to get them to have a listen to it.

Not thrilled of having them 'crack' the engine open at this point of its young life. However, it will prolly only be the rocker covers that get removed if they suggest surgery...

John.
  • Pelican19 ...Hmmm - I decided to check the Hyundai HMAService website where they show all known problems and TSB's for all the models. There are a whole bunch of 'em.

There is a TSB 06-20-002 which relates to a known problem with the Timing Chain Pre-tensioner making a noise on the first 10 secs. of start up after storage. They show an updated replacement. I think this may be the answer to your wife's start up noise like mine.

Interestingly, they also show a washer insert for the tranny because of noise, and slippage info, as well as Knocking noises caused by after market OIL-FILTERS which don't seat properly causing pressure variations.

They also admit that all S.F"s are shipped with tire pressures of 44-46 psi to prevent flat spots and tell the dealers to reduce to 30 psi because of known TPMS warnings. Ther also seems to be a lot of tire noise problems, also as reported on this forum.
  • Hello jcwsbltd

I have just registered on the HMSservice site and there is nothing that I can locate as far as TSB's or almost anything else for that matter. My SF still is under 2500 miles since we haven't been around to drive it much (2007 SF AWD SE)and my poor dealer is somewhat clueless about TSB's.
    I got 2 things fixed ONLY BECAUSE FORUM MEMBERS TOLD ME TSB'S TO LOOK FOR!!

Did I miss something? (or has the site been stripped?)....my pc is far and above their specs...

ie: is there a TSB for the loose parking brake issue or do they juat tighten a cable...I have service tommorrow and the Sounded like "well look at it.....not confidence inspiring but once they know...they are on it!

could you post a link, or perhaps what I am missing?

TIA
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    Hello gizzer,

Regarding the parking brake, mine had a problem from day one - the parking brake would not hold the car stationary (wouldn't even come close). I took it to the dealer and 30 minutes later all was well. They simply adjusted the parking brake cable. I don't know if there was a TSB on it but the dealer had no trouble fixing the problem. That was 3 months ago and it's been fine ever since.

- Mike
  • Thanks mpuzach...
    Thanks Mike

as always you are there when we need you!
    Mine is a little different. In neutral on an incline, it will hold the car stationary (if you really push down on it, and still I do not trust it!

)
    In gear, forget it...The SF will creep along which is not acceptable to me ...never had a car do that.

Hopefully it is just a cabe adjustment and they figure it out...oil chg tomorrow + a new window regulator...I will point him in the right direction if possible if they don't figure it out.
    Regards
    jeff
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    Yeah, it sounds like yours is doing exactly what mine did. I should have been more clear in my post - the problem was most noticeable when the car was in gear and the engine was just idling. In that situation, the parking brake would not hold the car stationary. Now it holds very well in that situation; I don't have to push the pedal down with excessive force to get the brake to hold, either. I'm very confident that yours will be fine after a simple cable adjustment. Please let us know how it all turns out! ;)
  • Thanks again....will report tomorrow ...like you said...should not be a problem!
  • Hi gizzer777 here's how I found it:You need the ID & Password to log in.

-Go to www.hmaservice.com home information page and register and receive I.D. and password in your e-mail.
    -Go to registration window and Log in-takes you to latest info page.
    -In middle of new page click on 2nd. link :"Technical Service- Bulletins"
    -A new blank screen will open: go to top of screen and fill in car info:Model, Year & engine: it will automatically take you to a new screen
    -At top of new screen click on "TSB" at the top right of page
    -A new list will appear on left with titles such as "body","electrical", "Paint","Tires" etc
    -open all links and the TSB's appear on the left
    -Click on each TSB lnk to open them ( some will show PDF files with or without pix)

Good Luck
  • Thank you (I did make an account)...therein is my problem...cannot get into latest news...The javascript says done but nothing changes...Oh well, something else to investigate. Tried Firefox and IE7...will head over to the Apple Macintosh later...

Thanks for the ifo!!!
  • You have to use Internet Explorer and you have to download the picture viewer.
  • Yep...thanks. I hate using MS products anyway but did try what you suggested (might have more to do with my firewall setup....still no info available for me...I would sure like to see those TSB's!

Today's Trip to the dealer turned into a multi hour visit. I think the window regulator and for some reason the parking brake adjustment were the culprits. Supr
    1)oil change (price just went from $32 to $36)

2)New window regulator on driver's side (a long time)
    3) Adjustment of the parking brake cable so it would engage the brake properly. FOR SOME REASON THEY SORT OF BRISTLED AT THAT ONE (it is much more normal now....thank you.....and it did seem to take quite a while
    4) Finally ag=fter all this time had the auto locks enabled. Fortotten how I missed them ...but all is wll again

AGAIN, RATHER A SHORT LIST FOR SUCH A NEW PLATFORM. :) My SF does not show some of the TSB issues brought up here of late....If there are problems my only fix is to wait for it to break, or wait for a recall

...But it's all done...FINALLY...until next trip.
  • Not sure where you live, but I was at the Hyundai Dealer and saw someone getting a new window regulator. You wouldn't have been at Planet Hyundai would you?
  • Nope. twerent me!

I am in Northern Nevada. I heard the parts guys say they had more failures of the regulators recently. Being the lazy one THAT I am, this was on my due bill SINCE last feb!...Oh well...fixed1. For some reason they seemed a bit twitchy about the emergency cable adjustmeny but it all workrf ouy fine.
  • Since I had the problem with the bolt that failed on the left rear control arm, I'm now getting a squeaky right rear suspension noise when slowly going over speed bumps. None of the other 3 wheels make that noise, just the right rear one.

I now have to take it in for 3 more things to be fixed:

1. Rear Leather seat covers will not stay attached to bottom edge of seat
    2, Loud vibrational/roaring noise when strating from cold (Could be noisy timing chain pre-tensioner as per TSB 06-20-002)
    3. Now the squeaky right rear suspension.

Anyone else notice squeaky suspension????
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    Took my S.Fe 3.3 Ltd in to dealer for them to look at the pass.side rear suspension squeak and the roaring noise from the enginen on cold start up and of course, they couln't reproduce - it only seems to happen when the car is cold.

Also found out that it can't be the timing chain pretensioner because according to the service guy, that makes a "clackety-clack" noise.

It is only making these noises when it's been left standing overnight - when it' warm they go away. Hopefully they'll find it when I leave it overnight for the leather Trim attachment fix on the back seat.

Anyone else out ther with the same issues/explanations???
  • We have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2.7 Automatic. Our problem: Frequently, when driving the car and attempting to make a left U turn or a 3 point turn from a stopped position, we hear an awful grinding sound coming from what sounds like the driver side wheel well area. At no other time do we hear the noise or at any time experience driving control problems. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.
  • gizzer, try alldatadiy.com, on the 3.3 model there are app. 25 TSB`s so far, it will cost you $24.95 for the first year to have access to them. They list them but will not let you access them seperately. Good luck
  • Or gizzer777 could go to http://www.hmaservice.com, create a free account there and look up any and all TSBs there for free. ;)

You need to use Internet Explorer to be able to access all the info on that site and you may need to download and install the Adobe SVG viewer also. Here's the requirements from the site:

Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher
    Windows 98/NT/2000/ME/XP
    Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher
    Adobe SVG Viewer
    Macromedia Flash Player
  • Thank You tenpin228

I was trying to use Firefox and that was the reason I was having trouble....God, I hate explorer!
    Thanks again
  • I think i have the same sqeaky problem you are desribing and its definitely coming from the passenger side rear wheel location. I'm 90% sure its the shock absorber as I crawled underneath the car while I had someone bounce the car up and down by pushing down on the rear bumper (make sure you really bounce the car hard up and down). I'm taking it back to the dealer for a 2nd look as they couldn't find the problem the first time.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    MIne only does it when it been sitting for a while - it's really annoying going over speed bumps - 3 quiet wheels and one squeaker.

When I asked the service tech if he'd had any others like it, he admitted that there was one, but it had been a pain to find - they stripped everything down and found it was a weld that sometimes hit the chassis.It needed to be ground down- That's why he is trying to blow me off and not deal with it - but I shall persist.

I agree with you - it sounds like a bad shock absorber when it happens.