Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Noises and Sounds

Comments

• jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Posts: 167
    erinrf - I went to another dealer and told 'em what a bunch of idiots the others were. The second dealer did a much better job as they were strictly Hyundai, not Hyundai with 4 other makes at the same service department.They didn't replace parts, but did a thorough break down and inspection and rebuild to specs.

Any dealer must do warranty work, not just where you bought it from. Still didn't fix it, though!
  • While driving on wet pavement, when I release the brakes at a stop light, I hear a clunk from the front end. If I pump the brakes, it will only clunk on the first release. It does not do it on dry pavement. The service dept. says they all do it. Never had a car make noises when releasing the brakes.
  • Well let me pose this question........ I was told that ALL Santa Fe's and Tucson's have a torque in the frames and that is what makes the noise. Have you ever heard this before? I am NOT an expert, but I cannot imagine that my frame torques. Is that not what the shocks, struts and bushings are for?
  • I have a 2007 Santa Fe that does this too. I have taken it to the dealership a few times and they can never figure out what it is that im talking about... I now know what it is --THANKS!! :)
    I'm almost certain that these creaking/squeaking noises are bushings in the control/suspension arms. Frames should not torque, unless there is a broken weld.

First, I heard the service manager cursing "it's probably some stupid bushing somewhere!" after seeing 6-1/2 hrs. of work on my vehicle.

Second, it comes and goes, even over the same speed bumps at the same speed.

Third, I had the bolt fail that pivots the left rear control arms together - ( i don't know why)- the control arms control pitch and yaw for stability. That also may have contributed to too much weight on the other one, which is the one that creaks.

I'd be interested to know if yours started after hitting a curb in a parking lot, a deep pothole, or some other obstruction that may have stressed the suspension.
    I notice that because of the traction and stability control, going round steep curves at speed belies the stress on the components.

I suspect the weight of this vehicle (almost 4000 lbs) is greater than the bushing size/suspension components can handle. They even state in the manual not to drive the S.Fe off road.
  • My 2003 makes the same noise but from the back end. The problem is caused by poor quality bushing between the frame and body. Hyundai is a lower priced car and to keep the price down they have to use lower quality parts (no dealer will tell you this). The problem with getting it fixed at a shop is that they use parts from the dealer. If the noise bothers you that much I would suggest buying after market parts (if you can find the bushings after market) and install them yourself. We took care of the same problem on a pilot a friend had by making our own bushings out of thick nylon we got from a machine shop we worked at (not the easiest way to fix the problem) but it worked.
  • Than you for all of your replies! I called my father in law tonight who is a master mechanic and asked him (again) what I should do. He lives in Iowa and I live in Arizona. I had called him in January to see if he could hear what the noise was. Not only could he hear it, but he told me that it was the bushings! I did not understand IF they had replaced the bushings why they would still make noise and neither could he. Granted he does not see many imports and is not aware of the problems that they may have. Like I have said in a previous posting, I am suppose to meet with a representative from Hyundai corporation in the next week or so. He is going to tell me that the noise that I hear is my frame torquing and the noise is normal. I wanted to be able to find out if there was an issue with these vehicles that they are just not telling us about.

So how much would I be looking at to have the bushings replaced with a good quality one that will not make this noise? Is there any damage that can happen if we were to not change them out and just leave things as they are?

THANK YOU all for your help!
  • Could this ABS self test happen when the car is still idling in the garage? I hear it about 45 - 60 seconds after I start the car, while I'm still sitting in the garage letting it warm up. (I only hear it when the radio is off - it's very soft). It sounds like someone is throwing a snowball against the rear passenger side panel of the car. I've never noticed it while the car is in motion - perhaps because of road noise/radio.
    Thanks.
  • jbcammajbcamma Posts: 1
    On our new 2008 AWD Santa Fe Limited at low speeds, like backing up, we hear swishing noises that seem to be the gas in the tank moving in the tank. Has any experienced this? I seems normal that gas will do this but why would we hear it in the vehicle. Could some insulation be missing. Any thoughts?
    I have finally discovered where the small vibration sound near the dashboard is coming from !!!!

It is the small light colored plastic door panel just forward of the inside opener at the top of the door, under the darker panel below the window.. It's where the door and dash meet when the door is closed at the top.

It is a separate small panel that is ever-so-sligtltly warped on BOTH front doors. I happened to find it when I pressed against the panel and felt it rub at the joint.

When the temps. warm up or cool down the vibration from road variataions causes the panel edge to rub together and vibrate. I pressed some sticky tape in the joint with a pen knife blade and it cured it. Ha!
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Posts: 146
    I know this area has received a lot of attention from manufacturers ov erhrecent years, but often it is the use of materials and installation taht cause the problems. I have a couple nigling issues, one fixable (I think) and one that is manageable.

1. I have an exhaust system /heat shield ratle when the car is cold. When accelerating and reaching a shift point, I get this rattle that sounds exactly like a heat shiled issue (on a previous non-Hyundai vehicle.) The Dealer has attempted to solve it, made it about 50% better, but still exisits. they want the car overnight to get it cool by being outside, and I'll find some time what I can leave it and see if it can be diagnosed.

2. There is a rattle from the rear of the Santa Fe. I listened and listened trying to pinpont where it is coming from. It was intermittent...... I detemined it was from the folded down rear armrest/cup holder. If you had a cup or bottle in place when folded down, there was no problem. It is only when the cover is closed over the supholders that it rattles. If you fold the entire armrest up, no rattle as well. I think this is livable.

If anyone else has had a heat shield issue (and I'ver reqad other posts about it) and you dealer was able to cure it, please post what they did if you have details. Thanks!

PS.....The Santa Fe is one of the best put together and nicest vehicles I have owned, I am so pleased with it.
  • fred63fred63 Posts: 23
    Within the last month my Santa Fe has started to make the heat shield rattle too. I was thinking that today some of the younger crowd would pay for this kind of sound. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let us know. I have not gone to the dealer yet.Fred.
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Posts: 88
    I like the sticky tape idea. I've got an air vent that will sometimes rattle. Just touching it stops it for a while, but then it starts up again. I'll have to try your idea.
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Posts: 88
    While on the subject of noises, the driver's side door armrest in my SF will sometimes make a popping sound. I've identified it's location, it's right where you rest your elbow on the door. Sometimes I can make it pop by pushing down with my elbow, and other times I can't (may be temperature related). Feels like something in the armrest is moving, making the sound. I can't see any way to remove the handle/armrest, but I know if I take it to the dealer it won't do it that day.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,980
    Well done! I bet you'll be saving people's hair from being pulled out for the next decade with that post. :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

wamba2000 - I had both of your issues with the heat shield rattle and the rear armrest cup-holder catch that came undone because it was loose, (plus the brake switch go out and the temp sensor go out, and a rear control arm bolt break off, and squeaky bushings, and rear seat cover not attached at bottom!).

Chapman Hyundai here in Phoenix fixed them EVENTUALLY under warranty(except seat cover), but not until I got the run around and "could not duplicate" blowoffs.

Keep persevering, and get them to replace the rear cupholder - the plastic top and catch get warped during the manufacturing process and it is therefore a defect. I checked other S.F's and some were the same , too. Pull down the rear armrest, and the cupholder top would fly open.

Moving the heat shield is just a matter of trial and error.
    I'm getting a little tired with all these fit and finish issues I've had. I heard a squeaking sound carrying on after I'd switched the engine off. Opened the hood and moved the fan blades and sure enough they squeaked.

Second tapping issue is more puzzling - I can be parked, moving , in a straight line or turning at any speed and I will hear a tapping sound that lasts for 5-10 seconds and then it will subside - is this the fan also ? I do recall a similar issue in the past from another member about the fan squeak - any tappers out there?
  • bannodbannod Posts: 24
    I had my first oil change yesterday and also had them check out my squeaky rear wiper. I couldn't tell if it was the blade or the motor. Turns out it's the motor, which they'll replace under warranty. They didn't have one in stock, but they'll call me when they get it in.
  • jim223jim223 Posts: 1
    Our vehicle is a 2007 Santa Fe Se. It has 11000 miles on it. We hear (more than feel) what seems to be a high frequency vibration. It is most prevalant in the 50 to 65 mph range. I think it is in the drive train, possibly the tranaxle. It is not in the tires as they have been checked and rechecked, and finally replaced by Goodyears. Has any other owners experienced a similar problem?
    Could be a loose heat shield, tranny wear , or other known problems. There were several TSB's about tranny whine on earlier models that had a plastic washer fitted somewhere on the tranny to stop it. It could even be a wheel axle failing - It's trial and error time again.

Try opening the window and see if you can hear the noise from any of the wheels or it's location - that might help narrow it down.
  • Our 4700mi '07 SFe Limited has developed an intermittent high pitched whistle when we reach approx 60+ mph. It sounds as though it's caused by wind, but try as we might we've not been able to isolate it. Anyone else experienced this?
  • mysantafemysantafe Posts: 1
    My Santa Fe makes a squealing noise while driving. It usually starts up after the car has been driving 10 minutes or so but it is not consistent It starts and stops but definitely stops when you hit the brakes. It is definitely coming from the passenger side. Can't quite tell it it is from the front or the back. We automatically figured it was the squealers on the brakes even thought they weren't that old. When we pulled off the brakes they weren't even worn down to the squealers but we replaced them anyway. But.... the squealing continues. It starts out soft and gradually gets louder the longer we drive.

Any suggestions on what to look at?
    It could be a wheel bearing going bad - I had one go on the same wheel in my other vehicle - it damages the passenger wheel more when turning right and hitting obstacles, kerbs, potholes, which are near the right side of the road pavement.

It started out as an almost imperceptible whine at a certain speed, which over time became louder and louder as the bearing wore down. I also was told it was the brakes, and had them replaced on my Pontiac before it was found.
  • 2008car2008car Posts: 29
    Reminds me of the pinto...Yikes!
  • bnberniebnbernie Posts: 20
    My 07 Santa Fe w/15.000k does the same thing (squeaking noise) If its a wheel bearing, it won't take long for it to fail.
  • I have a new SF SE (no sunroof) and it makes the same vibration/rattle as you describe. Sounds like it is inside of the dash. I find it hard to believe a dealer can get rid of it. What is the status now on yours? Does anyone have any input concering this issue?

Thanks
    I discovered that it turned out to be the top of the door panels where there is a horizontal joint to the front of the handle just as the door meets the dash, below the window. The panel goes inside the door jamb when it is closed and is the one that seals the dash to the door.

This panel was very slightly warped and the joint was moving at certain combinations of vibration/heat levels (cavitation). It just sounded like it was from inside the dash.

The joints were basically rubbing together - I discovered it by accident when I heard the noise and rested ny hand on the door and felt the joint vibrating. When I pushed the top of the panel in, the noise stopped. It did it on both front doors.

I ended up getting some magic tape, making a small loop and using a penknife blade, pushing it into the joint to create a little sticky wedge between the joint edges. It heklped to stop the transference of the vibration.

The car is so quiet inside you hear every little noise - it drove me craazy trying to figure out what it was.!
  • Thanks for the reply. I saw what you wrote previously and checked for any warping or looseness of the door panel in that area and did not find any. I will have to get someone to ride with me to check a little closer. I assume the tape is being shoved inbetween the door panel and the door jamb. The noise seems to also come from behind the stereo. I agree that in any other vehicle this rattle would probably not be perceivable to the point of irritation. It's weird how I can drive on a section of road and hear it, and turn around and drive on the same section at the same speed and not hear it a minute latter. This is not the section for this question, but I would like to take advantage of the quietness by significantly improving the quality of the SE stereo. Have you come across any good suggestions? I saw where someone changed the speakers and installed an amplifier under the passenger seat.

Thanks.
    No - the joint I am talking about is just in front of the door handle where the top of the hard plastic door panel meets the horizontal black softer section.

When the door is closed, that horizontal joint is about 4 inches long between the hard and soft panels, and between the metal handle and the dash.

I also noticed that if I place a finger between the left side of the dash and the door where they meet,when driving, you can feel the door and dash move against one another. I think it must be the rigid steel body cage which stays put, and the door which moves over bumps.
  • Thanks for the follow-up reply. Coincidentally, after less than two weeks, my SF SE has developed the same creeking noise (sounds like rear suspension) that others have identified as poor quality bushings. What is the status of yours? And, did anyone solve the issue?

Thanks