Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• Just took the kitty and washed her on my lunch break. I think "it" is a "she" and "she" will be Magdelanena...
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Don't forget!! Even though you've washed her, you still gotta wax Magdalena.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I have noticed the Cat collects more brake dust than other cars I have owned. My wife's Accord doesn't produce much dust at all. I think our cars European heritage has something to do with the excess brake dust. My mom's Mercedes produces the same if not more dust than our Cats. I look at it as another reason to have to wash her ;-)

Current miles - 13,600
  • chezterrchezterr Posts: 1
    I plan on buying some of Meguiars wheel cleaner...that stuff helps alot, so i hear, when it comes to dealing with brake dust. I just got my 18" White Axis touring cups, and if you guys think it is bad with the stock rims, think how bad it is on WHITE rims!!!!! I will let all of you know how well the stuff works...but they say you just spray it on and wash it off...and by using the stuff, it gets easier and easier to clean the dust off, and harder and harder for the dust to stick....

Nikolas
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    But does it eat through the clear coat? A lot of those kind of cleaners have acid in them which can damage the wheel over time.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    If there's any truth to the Autoweek article, it's encouraging to note that the lifespan of the Cougar may have been extended to at least 2004. If FMC is considering the 3.0L, I wonder if they will consider using the 3.0L block with the 2.5L head, like the Cougar Eliminator featured in SCC. Perhaps then they could fit it in without the bulge hood. Personally I like the hood the way it is.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Sales drop for the 2nd year?

They ought to take a look around DesPlaines, Il. I swear that Cougars are coming out of the woodwork. I see at least three/day on my short trip to & from work, and new ones all the time on the weekend.

If sales have droped, then the ones being sold must all be around here.

Skip G.
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Question (there may not be an answer yet):

Right now the I4 Cougar has almost equal weight distribution at 49% rear, 51% front, and part of the complaint from small-car owners is that the I4 doesn't produce enough power, but the V6 is too heavy in front (resulting in 37%/63%, I think), so what is the 3.0L going to add to the weight of the front end that is going to disrupt the almost perfect handling of the current Cat?

Just an opinion question ...
  • fastback2fastback2 Posts: 55
    Good point. Too much weight in the front can cause real driveability problems such as the tendency to do a quick 180° under slippery road conditions(I can personally attest to this) when braking. About the only way to compensate for this is to move some of the weight to the back(like the battery), lighten up the engine block via some intensive re-engineering and material selection(could be expensive), or adding weight to the back of the car(not a real option). A supercharger may make more sense as FMC has plenty of experience with superchargers(the late 80s cougar XR7s had a supercharger as an option).
    That's what I figure too. It's either add a supercharger, blow the weight distribution, or convert the Cougar to rear wheel drive and put the transaxle in back, like the 'Vette. I kinda like the third option, but I really enjoy front-drivers, too. (Which of course is why I'm completely satisfied with my Cat) :^)
  • mws0520mws0520 Posts: 45
    Dealers should have 2001 Color chips. They were sent last month. They are probably in someone's office. The French Blue is very cool if I do say so myself. We will release very soon as part of a special edition.

Did any one take pictures at the LP event? I would like to see them.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Keep Cougaring.
    MWS:

Yes, we took a whole lot of pictures, and got some good video footage too. We're working on getting that CSG Gathering stuff together for the web site, and we'll post here when it is ready for viewing. (we got some special pics for you, big guy!)

Also, do you know when they're going to update Mercury's web site with the 2001 changes, or are you guys waiting for the official roll-out?

Thanks again, for anything you wish to share ...

All:

Have a great weekend, and drive safely! I'm going to get the chance to wash the Cat in the rain it looks like in the DC area, but I've been waiting an entire week to get the LP trip's roadgrime off! (That's right Dasaint: I still haven't gotten a chance to clean it yet, but I'm not adverse to washing it in the rain - as long as it's on pavement.) :^)

Later all, Happy Cougaring!
  • mws0520mws0520 Posts: 45
    Stageleft - our website, mercuryvehicles.com will be updated around October 1 which is traditionally our new model year launch.

Where is everyone today??? It's a ghosttown in here.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    HHHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

ANYONE IN HERE??????
  • mouse409mouse409 Posts: 34
    I'm here, I think everbody went on vacation!
    Thanks MWS. I'll start looking for the new, new Cougar changes then. I appreciate the info!

Sorry it's been deadsville here today, there was some activity in the other CSG topics ...
  • jayhawk5jayhawk5 Posts: 70
    Maybe it's my imagination, but it always seems like I have more juice in my engine with the windows down and the sunroof at least partially open. It's not just because I'm hearing more noise either. It really feels like my car has a little more oomph to it. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I going totally crazy? Also, I noticed they discontinued Spruce Green and my Sapphire Blue color for 2001. I guess we have a collector's color coolchick- only made for 1 model year.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    1. We're still here, just getting our breath for the Cougarfest.

2. Jayhawk: It's the sporty feel of the wind in your hair. Just like doing 40 in a go-kart. With your butt only 4" off the ground, it feels really fast.

3. Lefty, Badulah: How about asking bonnie rick about getting a picture section like the Dakota Club has. I think that we'd have a little better luck posting jpeg images than they do. (Untill they get the hang of this high-tech stuff) ;~)

Skip G.
  • frizzb3frizzb3 Posts: 3
    I stumbled onto this message board researching the 2000 Cougar, and I'm so glad I did. It's great to hear opinions from real owners. I'm picking up my new blue cougar after my hair appt. today, and I'm ecstatic. I've never owned a new car, but I knew I had to have it after the test drive. Thanks for all the great information!
    Tell us about your car! Is it a 2000 or 2001, what features does it have, etc... Congratulations!!
    frizzb3
    WELCOME TO THE CSG!!! Congrats on your new purchase!! I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours. Please keep us updated about your ownership experience. Also, be sure to check out the CSG's web site at:
    http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup
    I'm sure you will find the members of this group as well as the web site very useful. All the members of the CSG are GREAT people who are always willing to lend a hand to other Cougar Owners.

Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
    CSG Caretaker
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    Hi Jayhawk

I'm happy to hear that we've got a one-year-only color! Now everyone who sees us coming can say "That's a 2000 Cougar."

Went out with someone new yesterday. He was highly impressed with the kitty :) Obviously a man of good taste.
    cool- you want to stay away from those horsepower junkies! The 2001 cougar is coming out with a 'French Blue', but I haven't seen how close it is to our Sapphire blue. Happy Cougaring!
  • shengzshengz Posts: 4
    I'm palning to buy a 2000 cougar. The two colors I want are spuce green and sappire blue. But my dealer can only find one blue car with MTX which is 400 miles away from my place.(Bellevue WA). I also know Mercury delete those two colors for 2001 model. And I can't wait until the end of Sept. to get a 2001 model. My dealer still knows nothing about the 2001 model. No brochue, no color sample. So maybe I have to go with a 2000 black one.
    gustafsc:
    We are working on getting a CSG Pictures Topic. As soon as we have all the info, we will have it created. Thanks for the great idea!!

- Badulah & Lefty
    Um Hello?

Where the heck is everyone?

What's the deal?
    Hey- I'm still here, lurking in the shadows of the CSG. I think you scared everone away with your 'description' of where badulah came from. Looking forward to my 2 week vacation to Colorado coming up this Sunday! All work and no play make something something something something......
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    I'm supposed to get my LP pictures back on Friday. I'll scan the good ones and try to email them to you.

A.
  • frizzb3frizzb3 Posts: 3
    I'm so happy to hear that saphire blue is a limited color (I love stuff like that) and I guess I was lucky there was one on the lot that had the features I wanted - sports, convenience, leather, etc. The buying experience went pretty smooth, but they charged me $350 as a service charge to file my tag.....but omitted to tell me about this fee until we were at the eleventh hour. I almost decided to go with carsdirect.com, but the finance guy said their dealer would also charge this...it's pretty standard. Oh well, I'm still ecstatic!
This discussion has been closed.