Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• jayhawk5jayhawk5 Posts: 70
    Wow- so it wasn't my imagination. My car has made that groan probably 5 or 6 times in it's lifetime. The first time it scared me to death. It's always in the morning (first thing) when I'm backing out of my driveway. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I haven't taken it in yet to get it checked. Like I said, it hasn't happened very often.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    I think I've heard that groan before, but it the crickets in my wheel that I'm presently concerned with. I've heard this squeaking several times now and it happens both when I first start driving and after driving for a while. The car's in the shop now - I'll see what they say. As luck would have it, the crickets were asleep on the way to the dealer this morning. Murphy's Law, I guess.
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Blane:

Thanks for the info. I have that too, usually after it's parked for more than 8 hours. The most often time the brake thing happened was when I was backing out of the spot at the office. It was in a garage, so I don't think heat had much to do with it. I'm thinking it's the moisture. Unitl you posted the TSB, I was attributing that noise to the thin coat of rust that appears on the rotors after it sits for a while. Thanks, I'll get that checked out too.

Krnch:

I think I do have the same noise as you, but are you experiencing it more often than once every couple of weeks/months?
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    From 1991-1999 I worked in the corporate Security field for several huge communications companys (Started with AT&T and then went with the split to Lucent, and then my division merged with a division of Philips Electronics). So I know how companys operate and I know the extents they go to in order to hide projects and unreleased products. It's really hard for me to believe that Ford Motor Company would leave one of their latest limited Edition projects sitting in an area where anyone could just drive up and snap photos of it, or even worse, steel it. If that is the case, I would seriously question the security policies and procedures FMC has in place at their facilities.
  • esbrockesbrock Posts: 88
    Just got off the phone with the service dept at the dealer. It looks like they are replacing the belt tensioner on my Cougar. I should get it back today. That means I'll be installing the B&M shifter either tonight or taking the day off from work and doing it tomorrow. BTW, someone asked if you had to purchase a new shift knob. The answer is no. You can either keep your stock knob, this is what I'm doing, or use the knob included in the kit. The reverse lockout is billet aluminium, so it looks like the one on the pictures of that supposed Cougar-S.
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    I'd be willing to bet, perhaps, if the person who took the photo
    goes back, it might not be there.... or maybe just maybe it was a
    original prototype 99 that one of the employee's is still driving....
    what was the milage on that baby..
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    I have had three strangers come up and compliment my kitty in the past two days. She's such a gorgeous thing!
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    krnch:

Your "crickets" may have something to do with how tight (or loose) your lugnuts are.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    coolchick:

Didn't your Mommy tell you not to talk to strangers?

It IS great to receive such compliments though.
    It must be that color. I've had a lot of compliments on the sapphire blue. And it's a collector's item now.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Well, as I suspected, the dealer couldn't explain the "crickets" in my wheel (which I hear daily, Stageleft). They tried to pass it off as "normal" for these brakes. Why then have I not noticed it during the first 35,000 km?

The trip to the dealer wasn't a total loss because they did fix my creaking clutch pedal and they lubed the cable for the parking brake (feels better now).

Thanks for the suggestion about the lug nuts, Blane. I'll be sure to make sure they're on tight.

Happy motoring all.
    All:
    Have a GREAT and safe weekend!! Happy Cougaring!
  • jimcal1jimcal1 Posts: 11
    Just returned from a modest (550 mile) trip from the SF Bay area to Lake Tahoe, with a side trip to Virginia City. Some of the driving was stop-and-go on city streets, most at 55 to 85 mph on the highway (US50 up and I80 back), elevation change from sea-level to about 7300 ft. Mileage averaged out at 27.0 mpg--which seemed very good to me, for the V6 ATX (2000 with the Sport Group).

Incidentally, the air conditioner worked well through the Central Valley (Sacramento etc.), where the temperature was in the very high 90's. It was a bit noisy, set at re-circulate and fan at 4, but it more than did the job.

The huge cargo space also helped. Plenty of room for luggage for two.

The only negative was that the Cougar was a bit sluggish above 5000 ft., frequently downshifting at moderate acceleration. But, what the heck! All in all, a great car.

When I got home I found some mail from Mercury, with ads for everything but the Cougar. What's with these people?
    Thanks for the info. Glad to know it doesn't affect braking at all.
    All:
    This was the weekend from hell. Allow me to recap:

Saturday Kate and I were supposed to get an early start and trek down to my parents house for a family party. We wanted to leave early so we would beat all the crazy summer traffic traveling down to the beach. Well I forgot to set my clock, so we didn't leave the house until 11:15am. Since we left late we got stuck sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. While rolling at around 25mph in the center lane (three lane highway) I went to throttle up and nothing happened. I looked at my instrument panel and realized that the car had stalled. I had figured that I had stalled the car while shifting is slow traffic, so I tried to restart it, but nothing happened. At this point we were rolling down hill at around 20mph. I tried poping the clutch, but the only thing that did was slow us down, which was bad because I didn't want to get stuck in the middle of the highway. Kate had to hang out of her window and flag the car next to us to allow us to pull over to the right and off to the shoulder. If we were not on a hill, we would have been dead in the middle of the highway. I tried to restart the car well over 25 times, but nothing happened. I called FMC roadside assistance, but they told me they were not authorized to tow on the Parkway, so I would have to call someone else. I called AAA and they sent a truck. Since were were in the middle of nowhere, I had the car towed (on a flatbed) to Woodbridge LMC where my friends Father is the service manager. The tow cost me $143.00, but I plan to have Ford reimburse me in full. Mr. Broadly (my friend's Dad) just happened to be at work and he said he would look at it first thing this morning. He has done a ton of work on my sister's Cougar, and I completely trust him, so thats not an issue. The issue is the fact that my car has slightly over 34,000 miles on it and the warranty will be up soon. I don't need to battle with a problem that could cost me a ton of money in the future, or worse my life. Thats all I need is to be going 75mph and have my car die for no reason what-so-ever. That would be nice, no power steering, no power brakes, no nothing.

This isn't good.
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    Scary stuff, badulah. Had something similar happen to my last car when it was about 8 months old. Just rolling down the road and everything stopped....I was going through a residential neighborhood and was able to roll onto a side street. Turned out to be the onboard computer...my car was brain dead. After that was replaced, no more problems.

Hope your kitty can be fixed easily.
    I just got off the phone with Mr. Broadly. He said that Mahwah Ford did NOT reprogram my computer but actually replaced the entire processor. Nice of them to tell me about that. He also said that the car is now running, but they don't know why this happened and they are going to continue to work on it until they determine the problem. If this was any other dealership, i'm sure they would have gotten it started and handed it back to me. It's good to know she is in good hands, but its bad to know they have no idea what is wrong with it. He said it wasn't getting a spark and they didn't know why.
  • malibumalibu Posts: 155
    Well I write this with much sadness. I left on vacation on August 10th. Locked my kitty in the garage, left the windows down a bit because of the heat. Hooked up the boat and headed to Lake Powell. On Friday the 18th we headed back to the truck to load up and go to Vegas, there was a note on the windshield to call my father in law. Called and was told our house had burned down, completely lost. After the initial screaming and crying I asked about my car, was told it was pretty bad. After a 16 hr drive home I had in my mind that I would just wash her, clean the inside and all would be okay, do a little painting and cleaning and move back in...it's funny how the mind won't let you accept certain things. Upon arriving home it was a reality shock. The car is totaled, everything in the attic collapsed on her and the house a complete loss. All my daughters pets are gone. (cat, turtle, hamster, iguana) But in all the disaster we were not there, noone was hurt and we have family close by. Sometimes thats all you need. The insurance has decided to total Max, which is good. I went to the dealer and put a deposit on a laser red 2000. I can't wait to order another one, theres just too much going on. We will rebuild the house, they are going to bulldoze in a week or so. I should have my car in about 3 weeks. there putting a moonroof in it and the special edition kit on it for me. I'll keep you posted on the particulars.
  • benisembenisem Posts: 30
    Malibu- All I can say is thank goodness you or your family were not in the house. I was heartbroken when I read your post and I will say a little prayer for you and hope all turns out well.
    Good Luck!
    -Denise
    Malibu:
    My deepest sympathys go out to you and your family. Although I have never personally experienced something like this, I have responded to numerous house fires over the years working with the Police Department, so I have seen the devastation to the property as well as to the family.

I truly feel for you and your family. I can't imagine your loss, but I can tell you that all of you are very lucky to have not been home during the incident. I'm saddened by your loss, but i'm happy your still here to tell us about it.

Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
    CSG Caretaker

PS - After reading your post, I feel bad for wining about the problem with my Cat. Its funny how things like that put life in to perspective.
This discussion has been closed.