Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Transmission Problems

Comments

• Dont have a book on that here will go buy the shop monday to read up might have some ideas then!
  • jerryd6jerryd6 Posts: 3
    Thanks, any help I can get is appreciated greatly!
  • I have a 2000 Durango R/T AWD.I had the trans rebuilt about 10k ago.Last night I went on a 100 mile trip pulling a 5x8 empty trailer.After about 40 miles the trans shifted out of OD.I drove a bit reducing speed due to being on the freeway.Then the trans temp light came on.After letting it sit for about 15 mins ,I continued down the road.20 miles later .it did it again.This happened before but stopped after some time.Now it will not shift correctly and in and out of OD.Took it to the trans shop and it would not duplicate the problem and has no codes. On the way back home ,again?????? Help please
  • i also have the same prob. now was it the (pcm) powertrain control module or the (tcm) transmission control module,there both about 800 bucks
  • We have a 2006 hemi We had a problem back at the end of June the engine light came on and we brought it to the dealer they said the code was for some trany issue. They changed the filters and fluid and was supposed to change something to due with the valve body we thought. and warranty ran out July 1st. Now the other day I used it, it was fine then went home then went to use it again and it was like the car was in neautral then the light came back on after my husband tried it. We brought it in again they said it was 1 or 2 of the valve sections needed to be changed and it will cost 1700. Now my husband is a working man blue collar mechanic, works on large logging equipment cars, trucks, whatever and he knows they told him last time they were supposed to change something to do with the valve body and they didn't. So thats why i'm looking these issues up now because come tomorrow when we have to argue with them they should of fixed it then instead of just using a bandaide to fix the issue until later on when the warranty is expired so we can have some ammo to use. As far as i'm concearned it's still in the same part of the car, I don't care if it's another issue it's still a trany issue. Has anyone else had issues with theirs???
  • :confuse: TRANSMISSIONS HANGS UP IN 1ST GEAR. AFTER LETTING OFF GAS IT WILL SKIP 2ND AND GO RIGHT TO 3RD THEN SHIFT NORMALLY TO O/D. NO CODES AND NEVER CHANGED FILTER. HAS 160.000 MILE ON TRUCK HAD SINCE 48,000 ALSO HAS AWD OPTION ANY HELP DOES IT SOUND LIKE IN OR OUT OF CAR REPAIR. COULD IT BE A SHIFT RELAY,SOLENOID, OR SENSOR PLEASE HELP I M STILL DRIVING IT AND DONT WONT TO DO MORE DAMAGE :sick:
  • mike this is exactly my problem. car stuck in driveway. how did you fix it? thanks!
  • Today on my 2000 Durango the transmission light came on and now it does not want to shift into high gear, going 30 miles an hour the rpms are at 2. we went to advance and the guy put the machine on it and he said it was the turbo sensor...can anyone help :confuse:
  • gammilgrgammilgr Posts: 1
    My 2002 durango drives great and shifts fine in all forward gears, BUT when I put it in reverse it moves backwards a little until I give it gas and then it chatters a bit. What should I do? :(
  • NO NO!! ATF+4 ONLY!! This is the fluid for a Durango tranny. Use the other Mercon if you want to destroy your tranny.
  • ykkrsykkrs Posts: 2
    This durango has a couple of codes PO733 and PO734 which are gear ratio's are incorrect. how do you fix these? It won't go faster than 25 mph in drive, but in 1st and 2nd it goes fine.
  • ykkrsykkrs Posts: 2
    what's wrong with this site? no answers for me?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I found some comments on those codes on this page. It looks like you may have some slippage in your clutch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I hope not, it seems I fix one thing and something else goes wrong.
    Mine takes about 2000 RPMs to get moving. is that your case too?
  • My check engine light says that shift solenoid D malfunctioning. can I change it myself or can this be caused by (PCM). I have changed fluid and both filters
  • jc2sonsjc2sons Posts: 1
    My gear shifter on my 2000 durango won't shift into drive just p,r, & n.
    Is there anyway I fix this myself?
  • greg152greg152 Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    transmission acts like there is a pump problem...will go into gear but acts like it looses the prime...will go into reverse but again acts like its a pump loosing a prime...is there a pump and is there anything I can do or check without replacing the transmission...how hard is it to pull the transmission and replace...? transmission will not go into 1 or 2 either.
  • I have a 2001 Durango, When I stop @ stop signs or red lights & try to take off it seems that I have to give it alot of gasto get it going. If I pull the shifter down to 1st & take off it is fine then I shift it back to drive. I took to a tranny shop & they replaced TC sol. & 3-4 sol. today. Picked it up & it did it 1 time on way home any ideas?
  • Check for damage to the rubber boot on the drive line where it connects to the transfer case. This is a cv joint, if the boot is torn the bearings will soon go bad and cause the grinding noise you are hearing. I replaced my front drive line with an improved aftermarket one that has a u-joint instead of the weaker more vulnerable cv. Found it on ebay for about 200 bucks. Same price as a oe remanufactured.
  • shift solinoid is about an hour job but the part is 100$ start to finish i have the same issue with my truck did not have 2nd gear but felt like an electronic problem but no codes came up so i was told check the solinoid so i did lol well it did not work bought the replacement from pull apart 5 bucks. so went and bought a new one 100$ still not the fix. so i dealt with the issue foe a few weeks and did other things to truck cause i was getting 9 miles to gallon. well did this and that and then today did a flush on the radiator and put new fluid in while sitting waiting on cool downs to drain i was tinkering with the motor and i found a cable at the trotel body that seemed loose ends up that it was the trotel valve cable and a quick tinkering with the spring on it i have 2nd gear now weird but ironically this cable is what replaced the old vacume hoses that run your tranny. cost me nothing to fix and the truck runns better than it ever did.if i bought a new cable would of been a dealer part and 80$ a new tranny would cost 1500$ a pull apart tranny 100$ and alll that crazy work because that is what i was leanning on doing next to this truck. five mins worth of work and no money can not beat that.