Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• malibumalibu Posts: 155
    Badulah: People love to stereotype, Chick Cars/Guy Cars...Poo Poo. My mom bought our 68 GTO After her divorce, gave it to me in high school and now my son drives it. I drove a 82 4x4 pickup for many years out of high school. You love your cougar as much as I do. So whoever says its a chick car is WRONG! If our car is a chick car than what is a Honda Civic or a lowered Accord?
    Question: There is a new (98 or 99) black camaro down the street from my house, he has 2 exhaust pipes that are rectangle and the car sounds awesome! I know it's stock but does the Borla sound anything like that? Or is that a v8 and I have no hope of getting that rumble?

Fish8:
    I think your dealer stinks! I let my salesman know right up front that I was very obsesive or anal-whatever you want to call it, I let the service manager know also, he just shook his head, but he was very considerate..and respectful, that's what makes the difference between a good service dept and a bad one. You are the customer, if not for you they wouldn't have a job, you may need to remind them of that!

Stageleft:
    you don't really think you can tell us about that wonderful meal and not share the receipe do you? It's a little far for some of us to travel for dinner so maybe you would post the recipe? Please.

Thanks.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Malibu:
    If it has two pipes, It's a 350 V8. The tips are stock and the shape of them has nothing to do with the awesome sound.
  • Hello,

I am new to this board but thought that I should at least sign myself in for support until my factory ordered Cougar arrives to my local dealership.

I placed the order yesterday (1-17-01) and according to the dealer, the vehicle should arrive between the beginning of March 2001. For those of you that even care (ha, ha), I ordered my vehicle as follows:

* V-6 Convenience Group
    * V-6 Sport Group
    * C-2 Feature Vehicle Group
    * Leather Sport Seats
    * 6-Way Power Driver's Seat
    * Side Air bags
    * 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Breaking System
    * Engine Block Heater
    * Front License Plate Bracket
    * Body color Body-side moldings
    * Smoker's Package
    * Power Sliding Sunroof
    * Traction Control
    * Automatic Transmission

I decided to order my vehicle in black with the midnight black leather seating surfaces. The local dealership had two C-2's, one in black and the other in French Blue. I really liked the looks of the black vehicle!

I currently have a 2000 Ford Explorer Limited which has been fairly trouble-free, therefore I am truly concerned with the overall reliability of the Cougar. The Cougar will be in addition to my Explorer but may travel more than the Explorer (due to soaring gas prices). Any additional insight that you all could provide would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to em-ail me @ IExplore2000@aol.com.

Thanks!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Congrats on your new Cougar purchase. You will really love the car.. The reliability should be fine on the '01 models. The early '99's had some minor teething problems. Unfortunately, I'm still trying to get through those "teething" problems.

My Cat goes back to the dealer tomorrow morning. The hatch refuses to open again. The only time it opens is when the drivers door is open(and I leave it open), I then push the hatch button inside the car and immediately open the hatch. If I push the button and then get out of the car and close the car door, the hatch will not open correctly. This is the 4th-5th time my car has been to the dealer for this fix. I hope they get it right this time. :-) At least this time I will most likely get a loaner.
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    Actually I think the Kitty on "Ed" is tourmaline green and this weeks show was the first time we got a good long view of it. They have been teasing for weeks.

P.S. It is actually quite a good show.

Iexplore2000:

They actually have such a thing as a "smoker's package"?

Stageleft:

Malibu is right, you should share the recipe or, even better, you can cook it for us at Lime Rock.
  • Actually the color of the car is Sage Green. The Dark Tourmaline Green is almost Emerald in color (thus the name of my kitty Emmy Lou, which is short for Emerald).

About two weeks ago I was being very cynical about a back ordered part from FMC. The part came in this week and I had it installed yesterday. Much to my surprise, the new part actually fixed the moan/groan problem. My Emmy Lou once again purr's like a beautiful kitten.
  • Thanks for rolling out the welcome mat for me!

Fish8: Good luck with the hatch problem that you are experiencing. One of my coworkers has a dark green 99 V-6 Cougar with grey leather and I called him today in order to ask him some questions on reliability. He mentioned that he hasn't had any problems with his other than this squeaky noise that he hears every now and then from his rear hatch.

Camelard: YES, they actually do have a smokers package. The funny thing is that I don't smoke . I wanted the ashtray in order to hold my wrapped candies in! Ha, ha.. My Explorer has a bunch of compartments for that! The cigarette lighter will be useless, just like my Explorer's.

ONE DILEMMA... Someone at work told me to take a look at the Monte Carlo SS's today and I did. Had a chance to drive one and it's actually pretty nice. Both are competatively priced. I received X-Plan on my Cougar order BUT my dad works for GM so I can instantly get the GMO or GMS pricing too? The Monte had a lot of room, more gadets and 200 hp but to me it looks rather LOOONNGGG. I think that the Cougar has greater eye appeal, looks like a true sports car. I hope that I am not confusing myself, I will have to sleep on it. =( I should have not listened to my coworker! Keep the comments rolling.. I want to be a Cougar owner but I guess I need a little more convincing.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    IExplore2000:

My opinion is definitely biased, but I don't care much for the "big boat" looks of the Monte Carlo. Performance wise, the big GM might have a slight edge on the auto Cougar in a straight line, but get into the twisties and I'm sure the Cougar would prevail. The sharp handling and relatively compact size of the Cougar add up to a great "fun factor" and the great looks get lots of comments. The hatch is actually quite large in the Cougar, making the Cougar a pretty practical car as well. In my mind, your choice is easy. Good luck!
    Iexplore2000:
    WELCOME TO THE CSG!!! If you get a chance, take the time and go back and read through all of the GREAT posts. Older topics are archived on our official web site:

Cougar Support Group

You will find a wealth of information and a millions why you should buy a Cougar.

- Monte Carlo SS vs Cougar -
    Here are just a few reasons why you should get a Cougar:

* Reason #1 on why you should get a Cougar:
    Just look at the Monte!! The design is one that only a (blind) Mother could love

*Reason #2 on why you should get a Cougar:
    The Monte is more of a luxury Coupe, and the Cougar is more of a touring car. The Cougar is much more nimble, and handles the twisties like a champ. It is truly a driver's car.

* Reason #3 on why you should get a Cougar:
    The Cougar is available with a manual 5-speed transmission and the Monte is not. This transmission combined with the Duratech really make an excellent match. A true sports Coupe / Touring car should be available with a manual trans. (No offence to all you ATX owners!!!)

* Reason #4 on why you should get a Cougar:
    An award wining interior. Compare the interior of the Monte with the interior of the Cougar. Yes the Monte does have much more room (prime example of why I call this car a luxury sport coupe and not a Sport Coupe), but the design is bland and not very appealing to the eye. The Cougar's interior design is fresh and exciting. It is very well done and not over stated. The unique air vents actually won a design award back in 1998/1999.

* Reason #5 on why you should get the Cougar:
    The Cougar is available with side impact air bags and the Monte isn't. Cougar safety is excellent. One of our members got SMASHED by a Mustang. He was not injured at all because his car protected him properly. At first glance his Cougar looked totaled, but the dealership actually rebuilt the entire thing and it is back on the road today (the car was so badly damaged that every single panel had to be replaced. When the owner spoke to the dealership doing the work, the service department actually asked him if he wanted them to rebuild it in a different color).

*Reason #6 on why you should get a Cougar:
    Do you see a "MCSG" (Monte Carlo Support Group)anywhere? I don't think so!!

Go with the Cougar!...if you have an explorer than you need something more economical, the Monte Carlo can't be as good as the cougar on mileage. I have a friend who has a brand new one, black and it's okay looking but put my cougar next to it and it just looks ordinary. It has to weigh quite a bit more since it's so big. He always wants to race my Cougar but I think he would beat me pretty bad so I just ignore him. I think you will enjoy the sportiness of the cougar and it rides just as smooth as the Monte carlo (at least the one I rode in) Besides we need more members and Cougar fanatics!

Badulah: I was afraid that camaro was a V8...I just love when he drives by, he ususally looks at my Cat. He may go faster, but I look better getting there!
    Malibu:
    Under normal conditions the Monte is faster than your Cat, but if your willing to get really down and dirty, the Cat has a higher top end speed. You could get him on the freeway late at night and show him what your Cat is really made of. image There aren't many cars that can do 140mph stock (145mph with the chip).

I do miss the rumble of my IROC-Z. You could hear me coming down the block in that car. It was such a cool sound. One of my neighbors has a Vette, and he has a Borla exhaust on it. When he drives by he always revs his engine, as if to remind me that his car is faster then mine. His car does sound really good, but he really needs to get a life.

Thanks for the tip...He just constantly bugs me about how fast his car is and how he could just spank the cougar. I told him lets go down Los Berros Road...it's a very windy road that I drive everyday now that we live at the inlaws. He just laughs and says it too dangerous. His car has 200hp, but it's an automatic and alot heavier. I say lets take the GTO out and see what he's got. He just says no way, that wouldn't be fair. He's a diehard Chevy man and just want's to bag on my little kitty. Plus he's probably jealous! I know what you mean about the Iroc, a girl I work with drives one and vibrates my office windows. I drove the GTO one day and set off her alarm though. He-He. I'm hanging around you guys too much and getting bad habits!
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Fish8, I used to open my door too, in order to pop the hatch. But Benisem had pointed out to me that if the door is locked, the hatch release won't work. She's right.

Although now, the hatch is exhibiting a new strange behavior. When I pop the hatch either by the key fob or release button, it pops the trunk open but not all the way open. It's as if there's two locks on the hatch and only the first one is released. I have to hit the fob or release button a second time to completely pop the hatch open. Does this happen to anyone else?
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    If my memory serves me correctly, you promised to catch and grill a big fish for us at Lake Placid. Since that didn't happen, you've got a second opportunity at Lime Rock.

Whadayasay?!? Everyone will be there with their apetite.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Hatch pop up.

Mine's the same way.

I found that when opening the thing from the outside, hooking a couple of fingers under the edge of the hatch and then operating the remote with the remaining fingers allows you to pull the hatch when the lock releases.

I still believe that the problem is partially due to insufficient spring pressure. To my eye (and testing of the spring resiliency by hand) the spring is too small (short) and too weak to work reliably.

So far, Mercury has done everything but replace the spring or add a helper spring. Too simple, I guess.

Skip G.
    Skip:
    Been trying to email you all day, but it keeps getting returned. Is there a problem with your email server?
    I dropped my car off at the dealer this morning and they said that they need to replace my hatch mechanism.
    All:
    Have a GREAT weekend!!
  • The Cougar S option has been cancelled, according to information obtained from Ford Motor Company. A full report is due by Monday on www.blueovalnews.com.

Steve Blake
    sblake@blueovalnews.com
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Iexplore2000:

Please let me be the first to tell you that I too, have an Explorer and a Cougar and they compliment each other very well. On the one hand, I have the Explorer, which is used for more-than-two-people trips; shopping at Costco; hauling computers; taking the mountain bikes out; taking the dog for a ride; etc ...

The Cougar is used for fun drives; commuting; grocery shopping; long trips; taking the dog for a cruise ... ;^)

Anyway, my point is that when you want a truck/people mover - you've got the Explorer, when you want to take corners at 50 mph - you've got the Cougar.

Dasaint:

Nope, I don't fish. Y'all were gonna catch the fish and I wuz gonna grill it up. I did say I'd grill it. It's a good idea, but we might have to check with the track first, because I'm not sure how they'd feel about a barbeque in their parking lot. I am thinking about bringing a small Hibachi, though ... keep your fingers crossed!

The (now infamous) recipe for Bleu-cheese (it's fraunch!) Filet Mignion:

It's really too simple for all the hype. I just cut a pocket in the edge of some 3/4.lb filets, then seasoned them with garlic pepper and fresh ground pepper. Then I crumbled up a block of fresh Bleu-cheese (that's just the way it's spelled on the package) and stuffed it into pockets I had cut into the filets.

I seasoned a 12" frying pan with olive oil - enough to coat the pan - and two spoonfuls of fresh minced garlic (we like garlic). When the pan was hot and the garlic began to brown, I seared the fillets until they were browned on the outside on both sides. After they were sufficiently seared, I put the whole pan in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. (you can't do this with any cookware - some types will melt. If you don't have pans you can put in the oven, transfer the filets to a baking pan that's been warmed while the oven was warming).

Have a beer.

When the timer goes off, check the filets - you can either cut them or use a fancy-shmancy meat thermometer - but they should be reddish-pink at the very center, and all the Bleu-cheese (this is the best part) should be melted. The meat thermometer should read between 150 and 160, but don't put the thermometer into the cheese because the cheese is much hotter than the meat and you may not get an accurate reading (geek stuff, sorry).

When they are done, serve them on a plate with your favorite sidedish, mine were mashed potatoes and spinach. Sprinkle them with some parsley flakes (it's all about the presentation!), and serve them up.

Enjoy!

(Happy Cougaring!)
  • The Cougar S option has been cancelled, according to information obtained from Ford Motor Company. A full report is due by Monday on www.blueovalnews.com.

Steve Blake
    sblake@blueovalnews.com
    Hi all!!!

While my cars in the shop, I am driving a Ford Focus ZTS(sedan) as my loaner. Have any of you driven this car? The Focus was car of the year in 2000 so I was interested in seeing what all the fuss was about. The Focus is very disappointing. Besides all the noises and rattles, the car is VERY slow. I don't think it has the optional 130hp engine, but this Focus barely moves when pushed. There is a rattle in the drivers side (door/dash area) that sounds like the workings in the door are not screwed in correctly. The handleing is pretty compitent, but not even close to the Cougar.

I hope everyone had a great weekend!!
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    No #$*#!!* Cougar S??

What the $&*!??

I was seriously thinking about ordering one too.

It looks like Ford has completely withdrawn its support for this car. A better performance model, IMHO, was critical to maintaining cougar sales. Those silly little exterior changes they made certainly won't help the cougar "stay fresh" in the sport coupe market. A brand new Integra is right around the corner, set to arrive in a few months. In about a year or two, we will see the new Nissan Z.

I'm happy to see that the sport coupe market is reviving, but unfortunately it doesn't look like the cougar will be around to play the game.
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    Let's not jump the gun. The end of the Cougar S means what? Now? 2002? 2003? I notice the option is still listed and can be ordered on the Ford Canada site.
  • jimbo_gjimbo_g Posts: 53
    I may just have to trade my kitty in on a Z in a few years.....Have you seen this car? It is beautiful....at least 260hp six speed trans....rear wheel drive and priced from 25-29k!! Definately a consideration i must say.

My old car was a 1991 Nissan 240sx and honestly i miss that car terribly. don't get me wrong i love the "kitty' but the nissan will always have a special place in my heart. If they still made the 240 i would most likely be driving that instead of my "coug" But the "coug" is my new baby and i do love it. In two to three years, however it may be replaced by a nissan :-(

Jimbo_G

Jimbo_G
    blueovalnews:
    Um, thanks for the news, twice. Blue Oval may have decent information from time to time, but their stories are chocked full of rumors and speculation. The Cougar-S project is in danger, but until FMC makes an official statement, I'm not going to get upset by anything anyone else has to say, including Blueoval News.

StageLeft:
    I'm going to call the Home & Garden channel (HGTV) and see if I can get you a spot on the Emeril show.
    Anyone home?
    I'm here!!!!!, but where is everyone else??
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    I'm here! And salivating over that bleu-cheese steak recipe.

KarenS
    Owner's Club host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

I got my car back today. I love getting my Cat back after I have been driving a lesser vehicle(Focus) and noticing how great the Cougar drives. It is so much faster and has a better ride!!