Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Hey, it's my job, it's what I do!!

Actually StageLeft and I have video conferenced once or twice, but it's way to slow on a dial up system.

4:00pm sounds good to me. What does everyone else think?
  • Well, since I'm just leaving the office at 4pm, I wouldn't be able to make it, but then again if it's during work hours I probably wouldn't be able to make it either. I'm just too darned busy at work nowadays - sorry. :^(

On the flip-side, Dana, are the chats logged or archived on Edmunds.com so I could catch up on the conversation later? I could definately do that.

Other than that, how's everyone? Happy Cougaring!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    I would personally like to chat in the early evening after work or dinner. That's when everyone seems to chat on other websites, or closer to midnight.

How many folks have broadband at home? DSL? Cable modem? ISDN? Would chatting at home be an issue for folks on modems?

Dana, if this conference begins having regular chat sessions, is there a way to get e-mail notifications about them? Without having to hear about other Edmunds.com chat sessions?

Finally, if you do have a broadband connection at home, I've found NetMeeting to be very good for videoconferencing or even voice chatting. It can also be set up for a secure chat session. Just a suggestion.

Have a nice Thursday!

Sincerely,
    burnsmr
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    I don't think that I could commit to chat time during the day.

Not that I'm all that Gung-Ho, but I never know from one day to the next what my actual schedule is going to be

Besides, I haven't a clue as to how a chat works or how to get into one.

As an old fart, you're lucky I can communicte this well. :-( You guys have been living with these things since you were born. To me, it's mostly a glorified typewriter that put a lot of women out of work.

Skip G
  • ciaraciara Posts: 9
    I have noticed posts from various folks here regarding changing out their cabin air filter. I just took my 99' Cougar in for the 20,000 mile check-up and asked them to change out the filter. When I went to pick it up, they told me I did not have that the Micron air filter in my car therefore they could not change it out. I thought this was standard equipment. Anybody else have that same experience?
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Go to a different dealer!!!! If your L/M dealer does not know that ALL '99 and newer Cougars come with an interior micron airfilter as standard equipment, they should not be in business. Let them look through your owners manual and show them what they don't know. They will probably feel really dumb. I replaced mine at 16,000 miles and it was really dirty. So, I'm sure yours is due for a change. Good luck!!
  • In response to your comments/questions:

-This will be your chat so whenever you want to have it is up to you.

-We can set up the chats to be up to 500 people at once (I'd probably keep it to 50-100)...I'd drop in now and again just to make sure you aren't having any problem members (which I believe is VERY doubtful)

-Chats are very similar to Message Boards in terms of talking about the same things, etc...it is just done in real time...you simply "converse" by typing to the people like you are now on the message boards, but they are all in the same room at the same time as you.

-We use an outside Chat company whose software we utilize, so basically you would have a page with a "Chat Now" button, and you could go to that page link at the designated time, push the button and bingo you'd be in chat.

-In terms of transcripts, we have only been putting chats like Manufacturer or Editorial chats (educational/informative based) on our archived page, however if anyone would like a transcript each week (or if you miss a week) just send me an email stating that and I'd be happy to email it to you.

-If you would like reminders each week ONLY for that chat of course I could send them out to you to jiggle the brain a bit ;-)

-Badulah THANKS for volunteering!! I think you'd make a great host for the chat. I think since many of you are online friends it would be better hosted by one of your own. I'd like to meet you all however, so would pop in now and again to say howdy :)

If anyone has any questions or comments you can email me at DLivingston@edmunds.com or Post it here. Look forward to getting this off the ground for you guys!

Dana
    burnsmr4:
    Chatting via a dial up modem is not a problem at all. The only time I had a problem was when Lefty and I tried to video conference over Net Meeting. Voice chatting isn't to bad, but running video really bogs things down. I was actually thinking about getting DSL at home, but Verizon doesn't offer it in my area yet.

All:
    I have no problem with what ever time all of you come up with for the chat sessions. If I'm at work during them, I am 90% sure I will be able to join in/host. If it is later than 5pm EST, i'll be at home with the exception of Thursday nights (I work my 2nd job), therefore i'll definitely make it.
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    I like the chat idea but for me it would need to be in the evening. As a contractor I am not in a good position to join in during the day when at work. 7:00 pm EST would be ideal.
    Thanks fish8, I knew I wasn't crazy. I called my regular service advisor today who unfortunately was not there when I dropped the car off. He was very apologetic for the confusion and offered to change out the filter tomorrow for only the cost of the filter (no labor charges). I have always had excellent service from this dealership and will chalk up this experience to the crew that was on the day after Thanksgiving. As I said I
    My dog hit the enter button with her nose and the post went flying!!!! As I said in my last post, I have 20,000 on my 99' now and have had no problems. I love my car as much as I did the first time I brought her home and plan to keep her for a long time!!!
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    See, even a dog can send a message faster than I can!!!! ;-)

Skip G.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    To the person who asked about the micron air filter:

YES!!! Your car DOES have a filter, and you should horsewhip the moron who told you otherwise. Also, if a similar person tells you that they "don't change that filter per the manual's recommendations because customers find they're too expensive," you should horsewhip that person as well.

Before taking your car in for a 15,000 mile interval service (when the filter should be replaced), visit your local AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts and spend $10 - $15 on a Purolator micron air filter. I don't have the exact number, but it's a C-type filter.

Most places just started carrying them -- you may have to order one or grab the last on the shelf. Take this to your dealership and tell them that, in accordance with the Cougar manual, that filter has to be replaced. The advantage here is that you're getting to do the required service, AND you're not paying their $40 - $45 price for the filter.

Optionally, you can change it yourself. It will take a little time if you're new to that sort of part replacement (it took me 30 minutes to get the filter cover open). However, it will help to remove what is probably a nasty filter that Ford/Mercury should be replacing anyway.

Regards,
    burnsmr
  • malibumalibu Posts: 155
    Okay guys my little red kitty is truly blessed! As I was driving back from lunch just now the guy behind me go rear ended, we were sitting at a stop light on a hill and I hear a loud crunch and squeel, I look in my rearview mirror to see the car (not very far behind me!) jerk forward. I immediatly inch up in case he lurches. He had just enough space between us that he didn't get me, plus he must have really pushed on his brakes. I LOVE MY CAT!
    Another accident averted!!!

I hope everyone has a GREAT & safe weekend!!

Rob K. Esquire
    AkA "Badulah"

PS - Over the next few days we really need to come up with a time and day for our chat sessions. Hopefully we will get some feedback from all of you over the weekend.
  • Hi everyone :D

Swamped with work this past week and finally have had a chance to catch up on all the Cougar news.

I'm up for chat! Since nobody's willing to go out on a limb here (or maybe you're just all too polite....nah, that can't be it) I'll throw out a concrete suggestion:

Tuesdays 7:00pm EST.

Whaddya think?

I'm still waiting for my new plates to come in. They should have been here already! Arrghhh.
    I am with you. Tuesday's at 7:00 pm EST would be perfect for me.
    I finally decided on the snow tires and am having them installed Monday night. Ended up going with the Michelin Arctic Alpins and, as Krnch suggested, I got 15" with steel wheels. What finally clinched it was the god son of one of my neighbours who came over to inspect my Cat. After doing the walk around and peer in he was, of course, suitably impressed. However his parting comment after the usual ooohing and awwwhing was,"You're not going to run those wheels through the winter are you? They'll be a mess."

I am having the dealer install them and will have that pesky air bag warning light checked out at the same time.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    7:00 pm on Tuesdays for the chat sounds great to me.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and started on their Christmas or Hanakah(sp) shopping.

My Cat has been in the garage since Friday nice and clean and comfortable. Though, I did clean the wheels yesterday due to the fact they were nasty!!!

I will probably be getting new tires sooner than I expected. I will most likely get them during my Christmas vacation.

Badulah: I read your review on the Pirelli tires and I am leaning towards Pirelli's. I probably will not get the exact tires you did, but I will probably get the brand none the less. Good review!!!!
    Morning all!! I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Last night while paying my bills I noticed that Ford Motor Credit decided to up my payment by $0.50 this month. I plan to call today and complain about this. I know it's only a measly $0.50, but it's the principle of the matter. Hopefully they will not give my any trouble and force me to go in to my "breach of contract" speech. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • Fish8: You mean Dunlop's? :^)

Coolchick: Good suggestion! That should work for me too!

Benisem: How's your Cat?

Malibu: [wipes the sweat from brow] that sounds like it was a close one! I'm happy you're safe, and so is your Cat. Can't say the same about the guy behind you, but at least it sounds as if he walked away without personal injury.

Skip:

That's cool, at least you know our tax money is going to a good cause! I hope you get back online through your office soon though, as I'm sure it's not as convenient to go to the library every time you have something to post.

All:

Well, my Cat's in the shop today to have some things taken care of, hopefully they get everything done so I can have my Cougar parked outside my house again soon. The list is:

1) Driver's side driving light replacement (just the bulb)
    2) Driver's side door speaker is intermittently cutting out. (I'll keep everyone posted on the status of this repair, as I know several of you are experiencing the same thing.)
    3) Rear window lower seal (on the outside, 5th time's a charm! I hope)
    4) Hatch pull strap (2nd time for this one, darn thing keeps coming loose)
    5) Oil change
    6) Cabin air filter replacement. (I asked them to keep it so I can see what one looks like after 30K miles - especially since it was supposed to be replaced at 15K)

Take care everyone, and Happy Cougaring!
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Tuesdays at 7 pm EST is fine with me, except I can't make it this Tuesday.

krnch
    Normally Tuesday is guys night out, but I think I can delay it until 8pm. It should'nt be a problem.
  • I've noticed several posts regarding speakers cutting out. I've been having the same problem with my "premium sound" cassette unit. It seems to be a problem with the volume control especially at lower volumes as "spinning" it restores the sound to the speakers. Haven't had it checked out by the dealer yet, so am curious if anyone with a similar problem has had any luck in having it fixed and what the solution was. At this point I am going to ask that the head unit be replaced.

Jim H.
    harbachj:
    I would recommend you take the car to the service department, have the head unit replaced, and have them check the wiring & connections to the specific speaker.
    All:
    How does everyone feel about holding the first chat session on Tuesday, January 9th, 2001 at 7:00pm est? December is a CRAZY month for me, and I won't be able to commit to this until the New Year.

Is this a problem? Please let me know.
  • Jan.9 works for me :)
  • Jim H.:

I spoke with the guys at my dealership this afternoon, and they were able to correct all of my issues except the speaker problem. Mondays even happen to be the days that my dealer brings in a special technician that only handles stereo issues, and he couldn't find the problem. As I mentioned, this is the second headunit I've had in there, but it could very well be that, still. I suggest taking it to the dealer, as you had intentions to do so, and get it replaced to give it a shot. Good luck, let us know the outcome - if whatever your dealer does, if they fix it, maybe I can point my dealership in another direction to correct mine.

Take care everyone, and Happy Cougaring!
  • My speakers have occasionally "dropped out" ever since I got the car, but now it's gotten a lot worse. I brought it in to the dealer once to have them look at it, but of course it worked perfectly in the shop.

Now that the problem is more severe, I'm bringing it in again. It seems to me to be related to corrosion in the connections. Turning up the volume fixes it because it punches up the voltage, which temporarily breaks down the oxide. I just haven't felt like tearing the car apart and replacing all the connectors with gold-plated ones.