Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• Thanks for the comments about re-painting in the previous topics. Fish8, you said your wife calls you obcessive. Most of my friends call me the same or go so far as to call me completely anal when it comes to maintaining the Cougar, especially its appearance. I'm having one of the right side panels repainted this coming Monday at Cherner L/M in Annandale Virginia. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they do a perfect job.

I have one other question. My car radio experiences considerable interference when I'm driving on many roads in the Washington DC metro area. The volume tends to go lower during these periods of interference. On roads further outside the DC Capital Beltway, this problem doesn't seem to occur. I never have had this problem with my other car, a Pontiac Grand Prix. I know there is a service bulletin on radios in Cougars that experience the volume adjusting up and down on its own, but my problem seems to be more of a true interference problem. The dealer has offered to replace the radio but I wanted to do more research first. I have the combination radio, cassette, and CD unit in a 2000 Cougar manufactured in July 2000. The CD and cassette both work perfect so I know it's not a speaker problem. Is there anyone else on this list who lives in the Washington DC metro area, or anywhere else for that matter, who has experienced this same problem? If so, what have you done to correct the problem?

Thanks for your help again.

Gary
  • I see how many of you seem to correspond on the boards and was wondering if you would be interested in having a weekly Cougar Support Group Chat so that you could talk live to one another (okok, type to one another ::smile::) I thought it might give you an opportunity to get to know each other even better and be something you might like.

If you are interested please let me know what day and time you all would like to have it. I will set it up for you and keep you all posted as to the start date. I'd love to get your feedback!

Thank you!
    Dana S. Livingston
    Chat Manager
    Town Hall
    Edmunds.com
  • Garyinvest:

I bought and continue to service my Cougar at Cherner in Annandale. And I drive the Metro/DC area quite often as I live in Springfield, to answer those questions. The radio in my Cat seems to have been having a similar problem to that which you described, except in my case the driver's speaker would cut on and off. I believe this is the problem that was covered in a previous string of conversation in the CSG. They replaced the head unit, and it seemed to have stopped cutting off - for a while, but now I think the problem has returned, and since I'm going in for service tomorrow I'm going to have them take a look at this problem again.

As far as the paint goes, Cherner did the job I mentioned earlier too. The first repaint, where I mentioned that it was not to my liking, was because it was in it's first model year and I don't think the dealers had all the right paint code information. I have Rio Red Clearcoat, and the tricky part of this paint (apparently) is that FMC used a tinted clearcoat to bring out the red luster. The first repaint, the dealer failed to put this tinted clearcoat on, and used a non-tinted clearcoat instead. Anyway, after I showed them their repaint was pink and not matching red, they repainted it and it's perfection!

Good luck with your repaint, let us know how it goes. And if you have words to say about the dealership or level of service you received, type it up in the dealer topic of the CSG.

Everyone:

Take care, and be sure to check out Badulah's review on his new Dunlop SP Sport 5000 All Season Tires.

Happy Cougaring!
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    burnsmr4:
    I havn't turned up any info in regard to the synthetic steering fluid. I have asked several people, but they have never heard of it. I will continue my search and let you know what I come up with.

fish8:
    I highly recommend the Dunlop SP 5000's. Their traction is great, they handle like a dream, and they are very quiet and smooth. I feel they are well worth the money. I just finished a review of them for the web site. Check it out when you get a chance.

chat_manager:
    Sounds like an interesting idea. Let's see what our members think about it?

All:
    What does everyone think about a weekly chat session? Good idea? Bad idea? Let us know.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    I'd be up for a weekly chat if we could agree upon a time.

krnch
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    As I'm limited to my computer at work, this is as close to a chat room as I'll ever get.

Skip G.
    gustafsc:
    So if we held it sometime during the day, you could participate?
  • ...and a day and I'll set it up. Just let me know when you want. We can start with a weekly hour long one then if participation is good, we can possibly expand it to a daily hour long chat. What do you think? Anyone interested in volunteering to host it or do you want me or another moderator there? Let me know!

Dana S. Livingston
    Chat Manager
    Town Hall
    I'll be happy to host it if there is enough interest (and if my boss isn't lurking).

8-)
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Wow. Talk about progress. Well, I'm glad to see that we're moving up. Soon we'll be in videoconferencing.

I'd like to participate in the chatroom, but if it's only for an hour. It's gonna be hard to get in it and even if you find the time to get in--staying in the chatroom is another issue. Being that this is all done during company time.

But hell, let's give it a try and see what happens. Let's pick a time where the West coast can participate as well. Around 3:30 pm or 4:00 pm (Eastern time) works for me. What about everyone else???

PS:
    Badman, you'll be happy to host anything remotely related to the Cougar. :p
    Hey, it's my job, it's what I do!!

Actually StageLeft and I have video conferenced once or twice, but it's way to slow on a dial up system.

4:00pm sounds good to me. What does everyone else think?
  • Well, since I'm just leaving the office at 4pm, I wouldn't be able to make it, but then again if it's during work hours I probably wouldn't be able to make it either. I'm just too darned busy at work nowadays - sorry. :^(

On the flip-side, Dana, are the chats logged or archived on Edmunds.com so I could catch up on the conversation later? I could definately do that.

Other than that, how's everyone? Happy Cougaring!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    I would personally like to chat in the early evening after work or dinner. That's when everyone seems to chat on other websites, or closer to midnight.

How many folks have broadband at home? DSL? Cable modem? ISDN? Would chatting at home be an issue for folks on modems?

Dana, if this conference begins having regular chat sessions, is there a way to get e-mail notifications about them? Without having to hear about other Edmunds.com chat sessions?

Finally, if you do have a broadband connection at home, I've found NetMeeting to be very good for videoconferencing or even voice chatting. It can also be set up for a secure chat session. Just a suggestion.

Have a nice Thursday!

Sincerely,
    burnsmr
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    I don't think that I could commit to chat time during the day.

Not that I'm all that Gung-Ho, but I never know from one day to the next what my actual schedule is going to be

Besides, I haven't a clue as to how a chat works or how to get into one.

As an old fart, you're lucky I can communicte this well. :-( You guys have been living with these things since you were born. To me, it's mostly a glorified typewriter that put a lot of women out of work.

Skip G
  • ciaraciara Posts: 9
    I have noticed posts from various folks here regarding changing out their cabin air filter. I just took my 99' Cougar in for the 20,000 mile check-up and asked them to change out the filter. When I went to pick it up, they told me I did not have that the Micron air filter in my car therefore they could not change it out. I thought this was standard equipment. Anybody else have that same experience?
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Go to a different dealer!!!! If your L/M dealer does not know that ALL '99 and newer Cougars come with an interior micron airfilter as standard equipment, they should not be in business. Let them look through your owners manual and show them what they don't know. They will probably feel really dumb. I replaced mine at 16,000 miles and it was really dirty. So, I'm sure yours is due for a change. Good luck!!
  • In response to your comments/questions:

-This will be your chat so whenever you want to have it is up to you.

-We can set up the chats to be up to 500 people at once (I'd probably keep it to 50-100)...I'd drop in now and again just to make sure you aren't having any problem members (which I believe is VERY doubtful)

-Chats are very similar to Message Boards in terms of talking about the same things, etc...it is just done in real time...you simply "converse" by typing to the people like you are now on the message boards, but they are all in the same room at the same time as you.

-We use an outside Chat company whose software we utilize, so basically you would have a page with a "Chat Now" button, and you could go to that page link at the designated time, push the button and bingo you'd be in chat.

-In terms of transcripts, we have only been putting chats like Manufacturer or Editorial chats (educational/informative based) on our archived page, however if anyone would like a transcript each week (or if you miss a week) just send me an email stating that and I'd be happy to email it to you.

-If you would like reminders each week ONLY for that chat of course I could send them out to you to jiggle the brain a bit ;-)

-Badulah THANKS for volunteering!! I think you'd make a great host for the chat. I think since many of you are online friends it would be better hosted by one of your own. I'd like to meet you all however, so would pop in now and again to say howdy :)

If anyone has any questions or comments you can email me at DLivingston@edmunds.com or Post it here. Look forward to getting this off the ground for you guys!

Dana
    burnsmr4:
    Chatting via a dial up modem is not a problem at all. The only time I had a problem was when Lefty and I tried to video conference over Net Meeting. Voice chatting isn't to bad, but running video really bogs things down. I was actually thinking about getting DSL at home, but Verizon doesn't offer it in my area yet.

All:
    I have no problem with what ever time all of you come up with for the chat sessions. If I'm at work during them, I am 90% sure I will be able to join in/host. If it is later than 5pm EST, i'll be at home with the exception of Thursday nights (I work my 2nd job), therefore i'll definitely make it.
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    I like the chat idea but for me it would need to be in the evening. As a contractor I am not in a good position to join in during the day when at work. 7:00 pm EST would be ideal.
  • ciaraciara Posts: 9
    Thanks fish8, I knew I wasn't crazy. I called my regular service advisor today who unfortunately was not there when I dropped the car off. He was very apologetic for the confusion and offered to change out the filter tomorrow for only the cost of the filter (no labor charges). I have always had excellent service from this dealership and will chalk up this experience to the crew that was on the day after Thanksgiving. As I said I