Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• stxrx7stxrx7 Posts: 10
    I'm beating a dead cat, er, uh, horse here but here goes anyway...

A few months ago, I attended the Auto Show at the Convention Center here in downtown San Antonio, TX. There was no Cougar on display. When I asked the dealer reps about the S, I was told that they are being produced and that I should check in again with them soon for a test drive.

Fast forward to the 2001 Chicago Auto Show, where the Marauder pre-production concept made its debut. Of course, it's designed for the mature auto aficionado (affluent married consumers with children at home; aka aging baby boomers). There aren't many big performance cars left on the market, particularly at anything approaching affordable prices. There have been no Maurauders for decades. Ahhh...nostalgia.

The bottom line: auto manufacturing is a business. Profits will always take priority over originality. Mercury has never taken a risk in its life. Even the Cougar was a facelife of an old nameplate. This is simply a re-make of the same car driven to victory in the Pike's Peak Hill Climb in 1963. God bless those aging baby boomers! And thanks, Mercury, for not letting us all forget an oh-so-legendary nameplate from over a decade before I was born.

Sarcasm has a place in the world.
  • Let' s see if anybody else knows about this: When the AC on my 2000 Cougar is running, there is a noticeable jolt going through the car every 10 seconds or so, with it comes a soft whistle from the dashboard. Sounds ridiculous, but it tends to get pretty annoying over the time. Has anybody ever had that problem? What is it and how can it be addressed?

The AC works otherwise fine. I had it checked at a dealer and they (of course) did not find anything. I wonder if they noticed something wrong with the car if it was on fire...

Bye
    Grinsekatze
  • daexpertdaexpert Posts: 140
    Grin..., my car does the same thing when the A/C is on, it tends to give me a few jolts from time to time, but certainly not every 10 seconds, that's a bit too much. As far as the whistling goes, I don't know about that, maybe someone else here has experienced that, but I have not. I did not experienced the jolts with my ATX Cougar, but I have felt them with the MTX, who knows why, but at least the A/C works!
  • I am in the market for a 2001 Mercury Cougar C2 and I am finding it difficult to locate the exact car I am looking for, so I need some advice on compromises.

I want the French Blue exterior and Midnight Black Leather interior, no ABS, and no Moonroof. Hard to find exactly that (really don't want to wait the 8-10 weeks for special order). Much better luck finding C2s without leather.

How do people feel about leather seats? Are they a must? Are they an uneccessary expense? Do the cloth seats wear well over time?

Any insight would be appreciated.
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    It depends on where you live and personal preference. Here in Ottawa where we get stifling heat and humidity in the summer and bone chilling cold in the winter, you couldn't pay me to take leather seats. Cloth is far more forgiving of the vagaries of temperature.

Plus I have a dog whose nails do from time to time get a bit long and I can only imagine what he would do to leather.
  • I bought my 99 with cloth seats and was very displeased with them. They are very hard and coarse. I bought Katzkin covers for a grand and couldn't be happier. I am from Houston, TX and I am familiar with hot and humid. Both my wife and I have leather in our cars, and given the choice, I won't have anything else.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Morning All:
    Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky people who have off today.

bbell1941olds:
    I'm really sorry, but I don't think we can help you with your question. This forum is devoted to the 1999 and newer Mercury Cougar. There is a news group that is devoted to all Cougars: alt.autos.mercury.cougar You may find some direction from them.

grinsekatze:
    The only jolt my car experiences is when I turn on the AC. Once it is on and running there are no further jolts. I suggest you have your car checked by your local Service Department.

cyroncat:
    I have the cloth seats in my Cat and I am very happy with them. I fully intended to get leather, but at the time (7/98) leather was only available if you ordered the power seat and side air bags. The total cost was way to high, so I settled for the cloth. It's really a matter of preference. Sit in both and take both for a test drive. That is the only sure way to tell.

• malibumalibu Posts: 155
    I have had both: I had the sport cloth in my black cougar. They were nice, didn't get too hot and I didn't have it in the cold. I have very long hair though and the fabric would grab my hair. The red cougar I have now has leather, I think they pad the leather seats more, my husband thinks they are more comfortable also, I sit a little higher. They do get a little cold, I keep a towel over the bottom and they don't grab my hair! I will always have leather now that I have experienced it for the first time. Plus it smells so good!
    Also on the subject of seats: I would like to get seat covers for my seats but have the side air bags, does anyone know if that's a problem, I would think you couldn't cover them because of it, but maybe there so powerful they could rip through the seat cover?

Thanks.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Never really had a car with leather seats, so I'm not sure what I'm missing. I agree with Camelard's reasons for getting cloth. Also I feel that cloth wears better over time. Have you ever seen cars with worn leather??? It looks awful. Of course, cars with worn cloth seats don't look so hot either, but at least you didn't pay $1,000 for it. With that said, my next car will have leather seats, so I'll know what I've been missing all this time.

Malibu, not sure what you're trying to say there. You wanna put seat covers on your leather seats (and that's probably cloth seat covers)?? Why?? That kinda defeats the purpose of getting leather seats to begin with. And on top of that, you'll block the side airbags (a life saving device). That's two reasons not to get it. Better safe than sorry.
  • I just went car shopping today.

The first sales rep I talked to said that they had already SOLD several Cougar S earlier this year though they were out now. However, upon further probing, I found that he had no idea what the Cougar S even was. He then pointed me to the Zn, saying that it was more or less the same thing.

Both dealerships I visited had quite a few C2's and Zn's. I might consider a C2, though I think the Zn's hood scoop looks really silly. I do like the rear spoiler better than the normal 2001 spoiler. Also, a manual is available with the C2, but not with the Zn. However, the dealer would have to let me have the C2 at more or less or normal V6 price. I still don't see how tiny cosmetic tweaks could justify a $500+ price difference.

BTW, I forget who asked this, but I think Subaru is owned by GM, at least partially.
  • According to the Mercury website, manual is not an option with the C2...

I have no idea who to believe anymore.
    I was just wondering about seat covers with the side air bags. I love the leather but don't want it to get ruined...this sounds bad but I work out every night and I'm concerned about sitting on the seats with sweaty clothes. I put a towel on the seat and always change into a dry t-shirt, but sometimes running on the beach, I can't change and I don't want the seats all yucky. Now you all know my gross secret. I don't want to interfere with the airbags so I will just continue throwing a towel over the seats.
    Malibu, maybe you should get another car like a Focus to use when you're sweaty and yucky, and use the Cougar when you're dressed to kill.

Speaking of another car, there's been a lot of talk about Ford not having a suitable replacement for the Cougar. It's still a few years away, but when it's time to replace our beloved Cougar, we can stay in the Ford family. Have you guys/gals seen the new Mazda RX-8?!?

It's actually got 4-doors. The two small rear doors are similar to the 3rd door on the Saturn 3-dr. coupe. It looks awesome. And get this, it's got a 250-hp rotary engine. It's everything the Cougar-S should've been. The only thing missing is an all-wheel drive system, but I can do without it. Now if only Ford/Mazda would keep the price within reach. Hmmmmm!!!
  • Malibu-

I too work out frequently, so far I am up to 4 days a week. I was concerned about my seats as well. I have found a way to upkeep my seats. I let Bella wear a clean T-shirt over her leather seats and throw a towel over the bottom. In NJ the winter really prevents me from directly touching the seat with my workout gear because I am covered by my coat. Anyhow, I use a leather cleaner/moisturizer once a week on my seats. The stuff I am currently using came from Wilson's Leather Store. When I finish what I have, I will buy some Lexol (sp) and continue using that. Basically, I just spray it on a clean dry rag and wipe the seats down. Honestly, they are not dirty. But I understand your thought processes! Anyhow, just thought I would let you know, you are not alone.

-Denise
    What's with all this talk about working out?!? Do we have any members in here that are couch-potato and proud of it?

Just to let you know, I get a complete cardio-vascular workout driving my Cougar every day. My left foot steps on the clutch, my right foot steps on the brake and gas, my left hand steers, and my right hand changes gears. By my estimation, that should burn at least 1,000 calories after a few miles.
    Thank you! It's helpful to know I'm not the only one with such concerns. My mother actually mentioned the t-shirt idea. I think I will try that this evening. I have used that Lexol cleaner and it works great! I also had the dealer put the sealer they recommend on the seats and everywhere else. (they did it for free since it was my second cougar in three months). Thanks again.

Dasaint1: Couch Potato? not this close to boating and water skiing season! Besides I've discovered that the seats in the cougar are a bit narrow, if your bottom gets to big you can't burn those 1000 calories driving and shifting! See the cougar has another great purpose...weight control! What a car.
    All:
    I will be unable to host the chat this evening. Something came up and I had to take the day off from work and travel down to my parents house (that's where I am right now). I will not be home in time to make the chat. I have sent StageLeft an email and I asked him to host it this evening. Sorry about this, but there was nothing I could do.

Have a good afternoon and a great night!!

-Rob
    AKA "Badulah"
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,016
    I'm sure you were missed! Hope everything is okay on the home front.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Everything is okay (thanks for asking), and I'm back in action.

Where is everyone today? This place is like a ghost town.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    I'm here.

I took a road trip this past weekend to Toronto. The Cougar ran great but on the way home I got a rock chip in the windshield. A hairline crack was visible in the windshied about 1 cm (1/3") long. I took the car to a glass place yesterday and they filled the chip. You can't even see the hairline anymore. Just a little speck where they drilled to insert their filling compound. Pretty cool. Hopefully it will save me a windshield replacement. I can't wait for spring and clean dry roads again!
    Thanks for that piece of info, Krnch. I didn't know you could get cracks fixed on a windshield. Once again, you learn something new from CSG.

How did the CSG Chat go last night?
  • The chat went rather well ... for the four of us. Mouse409, Coolchick, Jimbo_G, and myself talked it up for the hour, and it was pretty fun. We talked some about the CT race weekend trip to support Leo Capaldi, and we talked about how our Cats are running. We even talked about when and what might happen with each of us when the last Cougar rolls off the assembly line - whenever that may be.

I think we were avoiding talking about the Cougar S though, probably because we're all still upset about the decision still. Oh well, time heals all wounds - even the gaping, open-heart kind.

The Bad-man updated the Lime Rock park page with the most current info, and I posted it this morning (www.cougarsupportgroup.com/limerockpark.htm) so if you need any up-to-date info on the trip, you can find it there.

Take care everyone, and I'll be hollarin' atcha later!

Happy Cougaring!
  • pattepatte Posts: 35
    grinsekatze
    My MTX cougar also does the chirp/jerk when the AC is running. This was discussed a bit last summer in this forum. As I recall, the only answer offered was maybe the o-rings are faulty. Our service center couldn't duplicate the sound so I assume it will remain a problem again come June or July or whenever the great thaw happens this year.

dasaint
    YES!!! I too am a couch potato and proud of it. My theory is as long as my little backside still nestles into that cougar seat I'm okay... If I ever decide to trade it in for one of those big ole boats with bank-type seats mercury is now pushing I'll start to worry. And not only do we get a good workout shifting - think of all the great upper body toning we do with obsessive washing and waxing of our cats.
    (this is where badulah would insert a little blue monster with cellulite....)
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Hope you guys are coping with the big snow out there.

Saw the big Virginia pile-up in the news. Gave me the impression that you-all were starting to drive like Californians in the fog.

Skip G
    Skip:
    I'm doing fine, thanks for asking. We got around 5 inches last night, but its supposed to go up to around 40 today, so hopefully a good deal of it will melt.
    Patte:

Cellulite or no cellulite. Who cares!! Does it really matter?!? When you buy an airline seat, they'll still charge you just one ticket, right?!?
    I too saw the pile-up on the news and I'm thankful all we have around here is rain.

I noticed that this Cougar doesn't jerk as much as the other one did with the a/c on. I also noticed that it doesn't get as cold as the other one, I may have to have it checked when summer gets here...if it ever does. As far as upper body workout, don't forget the face muscles that get a work out as we drive out kittys with big ol smiles on our faces!
    My '00 Cougar doesn't jerk when I turn on the A/C. However, it doesn't get very cold either when it's really hot out. I wonder if there's a corelation between the two. For those of you whose A/C jerks, does it get cold on hot days?
    Have a GREAT and safe weekend everyone!!!
  • pattepatte Posts: 35
    dasaint
    Our cougar that gets the hiccups whenever the AC is running does not seem to cool down very quickly either.

Has anyone who has experienced this managed to get a service department to acknowledge it?