Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Saw an interview with the L/M super honcho in yeaterday's Trib.

Swore up and down that they're not killing Mercury as it's still profitable

Of course, they are killing the Mystique, Tracer, and Cougar. For a replacement, we get the Marauder 4dr. At one time, a straight line thunderbuggy would have attracted me (60's) but even then, my tastes were a little more refined and I wanted some handling & road manners to go along with the acceleration. Large wasn't exactly a plus for me either, and I've never owned a 4dr, nor do I have any intention of doing so.

Lincoln, however, gets 3 new badges to play with.

Hmmmm, let's see here. Eliminate everything that might attract the younger, less affluent buyer, and return to total duffer mode except for a bit of retro appeal in one model. Give all the new stuff to the other brand (nothing small or sophisticated, mind you) and see what happens.

Forecast:
    1. Lincoln makes a ton of money off people who don't know any better.
    2. Mercury sales and profits drop like a rock because there's nothing to differentiate it from anything else, and no high appeal/good value model on the floor.
    3. When it comes time for Skip to go car shopping again, he won't be at a Mercury dealer.

You never know, Dodge might be my first repeat mfgr. in 40 years of car buying. (I did have a Challenger, but that was really a Mitsi.)

Skip G.
  • genajgenaj Posts: 5
    Fish 8: Right after I purchased my cougar I took it to the car wash. I brought it home to vaccume it and discoverd the passenger side floor board was filled with water. It had been raining so I thought the water had came from the rain. I took the car back to the dealership they said something about the sunroof wasn't hooked up correctly which caused the leak. It has not leaked since I got it back. After reading your message I'm wondering if the car wash was the problem the whole time instead of the sunroof. I also have a vibration in my car which I can not stand (the car's brand new) I want it to drive perfectly. The dealership said the tires were out of balance. They balance all tires but the vibration is still there. But even with these aggravations I love my Cougar! I am 37 years old and I wanted a car that would help me feel younger. The Cougar definatly does this. I get looks and question about my car all the time. Alot of people have trouble figureing out what kind of car it is. I am glad there are only a few of them on the road I like being different. I love driving my Cougar its a v6 and has more power than any other car I've owned. I hope I don't have any major problems with this car because I have high expectation for it. I am interested in the lemon law thing just in case I do have problems. Thanks for posting that infomation.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    genaj: I have had no problems with water leakage. I have had problems with vibration though.

I wonder if MWS is still around? Maybe he can help with the vibration issue? MWS?
  • genajgenaj Posts: 5
    fish 8 I was responding to the messages posted by burnsmr4 on the car wash issue and the lemon law. sorry I read the sender wrong. Thanks for the response though.
    No problem!
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    Badulah:

WELCOME BACK!

Smc7:

I'd would have gone with the dark grey metallic if it had been available on the 2000.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    We talked about how to change the brake pad calipers and spark plug springs on ZN cougars. We also talked about the gear ratios and the best shift points for maximum torque transition in supercharged turbo-cougars. Finally, we compared yokohama vs pirelli all-sport, hypotraction, split-differential tires. It was a very intelligent and engaging chat for the avid cougar enthusiast. We hope to see more of you next week.

(Uhm..yea, that's what we talked about....yes we did...)
  • cwaligoracwaligora Posts: 16
    I had to drop back in to pass along a suspicion I feel may well be a matter of fact. This revelation may not be news to those who have already figured this out. You may have been wondering why you still heard reports about testing being done on the high performance 3.0L all wheel drive platform for the Cougar, even though it's going to be cancelled soon. The Mondeo platform which spawned the now defunct Contour and Mystique, and soon to be defunct Cougar cost Ford $6 billion dollars to develop. They are not going to just cut their losses. They are going to at least attempt to recoup them. The Cougar was a great way to accomplish this since this type of vehicle made way better sense for this platform in this market (North America). But sales for whatever reason have been way too slow recently. And there are much higher profit margins in other vehicle categories. They can't justify selling us the Cougar S - a niche vehicle of a slow selling product in a small market segment with narrow profit margins - even with the cost savings of using the already developed SVT Contour mechanicals, when they can make much larger profits using all of this development work and money in a much more profitable vehicle category. I was reading an article in the February 13 edition of AMI Auto World Weekly about a new all wheel drive vehicle derived from the Ford Motor Company's Mondeo platform. It will source it's 2.5L 194 horsepower (sound familiar) and 3.0L 231 horsepower engines from a plant in Cleveland which only has so many to go around (not enough left over for Cougar S). If you've got an extra ten grand to spend (I know I don't), then grab your checkbook and get in line. The Cougar S is now called the Jaguar X-Type. This higher price may or may not be accounted for with the Jaguar body and do-dads. But basically, everything that was meant for the Cougar S, from the original prototypes 3.0L all wheel drive to the 2.5L from the SVT Contour that was originally watered down from 200 horsepower to 196 and now 194 is here on the same platform. Coincidence? I don't think so. This is not inside information, just a deduction. You may think the brand managers are being up front with you. But they are not allowed to discuss future product, even if the facts are published for all the world to see, unless they are told they can. That's probably why you haven't heard anything from them since the Cougar S was officially cancelled. It looks as though all the trim pieces like the gauges that light up blue at night and the metal pedals that would have made the Cougar S unique have already been divvied up amongst what's left of the Cougar line up. Please don't kill the messenger. I feel just as betrayed about this as you do. I have been waiting since the original prototype was introduced and even had an order in for one of these for what seems like the longest time. I am now like you trying to find a comparable alternative (200 horsepower front wheel drive sport coupe priced around $20K). The problem is, there are none from Ford Motor Company (Mitsubishi Eclipse, Dodge Stratus R/T, Chrysler Sebring LXi, Honda Accord Coupe, Honda Prelude, Oldsmobile Alero, Pontiac Grand Am, Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Toyota Solara, Volkswagen GTI). You get the idea. These are all good candidates, but each one is lacking in one-way or another (looks, space under the front seats for rear seat passengers feet, braking, weight, acceleration,...). The Cougar in it's present form, although priced right, doesn't have enough power. I have to make a decision soon because my 1990 Probe GT which has served me well for over 11 years is getting long in the tooth. They could just rebadge the Cougar a Ford since the handwriting is on the wall for Mercury anyway. But I don't think they want the Jaguar X-Type's doors blown off by a Cougar S that sells for a lot less and brings in a lot less profit. Wish me luck on finding a replacement. We're all going to need it.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Posts: 148
    If a 4-wheel drive 3 liter coupe appears on the Mondeo platform, I'm going for it no matter what it's called. That car has the potential to be fun.

Besides, Jaguar owners are used to having pieces fall off their cars.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Gambit:
    You forgot to mention our brief conversation on internal combustion detonation and the long term effects it has on your engine. Although brief, it was very informative.

cwaligora
    Ok you may be right about the "S" being a testing bed for the Jag, but what difference does it make? The Cougar-S is kaput, and that is what a lot of us were looking forward to. I can't afford a Jag, I can't even afford the insurance on a Jag, so this speculation (if it comes true) doesn't help me, and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way.

Also, the concept "S" was equipped with all wheel drive and a 3.0L V6. Both of these were dropped early on, and the would-be production "S" was a front wheel driver with a hyped up 2.5L Duratech.

I don't mean to sound snippy with you. This is just a real sore subject for a lot of us. It will take some time for the disappointment to fade away.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Hi everyone. Been a while since I posted (although I read the posts every day).

A while back someone described a rattle in the vicinity of the air bag on the passenger side (duct for vent??) Does anyone know a do-it-yourself fix for this?
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Nice flag, eh?
    (Badulah gets up on top of his desk, stands up straight, and clears his throat)

O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
    What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight, O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air, Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.

O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
    It might of been me that mentioned the rattles located in the passenger airbag vacinity. This is only one rattle I was able to fix and unfortunately several others have sprouted up in it's place!!!!

Here's what I did to fix it: Open your glove box and place your hand in the opening between the upper part of the glove box(lip) and the edge of the dash. If you put your hand up in the dash board you will feel a plastic vent. Pull the vent towards the rear of the car gently but firmly. Mine sort of snapped in. It appears the vent had come loose. I hope this helps. Please ask if you need more help!!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    Hey, folks,

Hope everyone is having a nice, albeit a very winter-like March 2001.

FLAGS: Like those national flags -- is that an Edmunds.com profile feature or something you added to your profile as a photo option?

WATER LEAKS: Well, it rained like chicks crying during "Steel Magnolias" here in Atlanta yesterday. Luckily, the window leaks on my '99 Cougar V-6 appear to crop up only (a) in automatic carwashes and (b) when 45mph wind gusts force rainwater in while the car is parked. The latter happened yesterday.

NEW COUPE IN THE WORKS: Did anyone fork out more than $20K for a loaded Cougar in 1999? Just curious. Between then and now, you might have saved enough extra to plop down $26K for the upcoming Mercedes-Benz C-class coupe (a.k.a. hatchback in the vein of the BMW 318ti). It arrives in the U.S. this summer.

6-speed manual transmission, glass roof with automatic sunshades, and tons of standard safety features. It comes with a Kompressor engine, which I guess means supercharged. Also standard traction and skid protection control systems. Check it out in last week's issue of AutoWeek.

BADULAH -- WEB VIDEO: Badulah -- get in touch with me if you're still interested in posting/hosting some web video from Cougar events.

Y'all have a nice week.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    Never mind my earlier question -- Edmunds.com Town Hall automatically answered it ;-)
    Sounds like a good deal, but I bet the insurance here in NJ will be sky high.

Legal robbery is what it is!!
    I am not sure the reliability of a Mercedes Benz is any better than our cars. My Mom drives a '99 MB E320 and that thing is in the shop all the time. It leaks oil, gas guage doesn't work properly, parts break in the car(cup holder), etc....an so on. The new MB is sweet though!!!!
    Lets not forget about the cost of maintenance on MBs. I know that is an expense I don't need.