Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    I didn't factor in some costs associated with buying the Forester. Might have to settle for an Outback Sport, which is OK. Nearly the same specs for headroom/legroom. Only bad thing is the lack of cargo space. We'll see.

Thanks for the suggestion, Karen -- can you include the link here?

Later, all,
    burnsmr4
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    Subaru Crew

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    Thanks for the warm reception!

Burnsmr4:

Enjoy your Subaru...If I wasn't looking to go more upmarket in my next purchase I might consider a Subaru. The WRX has all the right performance numbers, but it doesn't have the righat amount of luxury to go with it (Can anyone spell Acura 3.2 TL S?)

As for my Cougar, I don't plan on trading it in unless it begins to fall apart. Even then I will fix it. In order for this car to pay for itself I need to get at least two or three years out of it AFTER it is paid off. I plan on doing it.

PLUS, my Cougar is a 99. The first of a new model year. Even though mine was from a batch that wa made in early 99. I want to keep it for the novelty, and it is still a good looking car that will age very well.

Later all...

Dgeminii
    I have seen the new Hyundai Tiburon car here in Kora. Though it looks like a cross between a New Edge Cougar, and a new Mitsubishi Eclipse it is a good looking car, that has V6 power AND a dual exhaust!

Imagine how a dual exhaust would have helped kitty sales! It would have set it apart...heck, our cars have a hangar for a dual exhaust anyway!

It is really a good looking car, and it has a Ten year 100,000 mile warranty. If this car had been around when I was Cougar shopping I would have definitely given it a test drive! Especially the way I put miles on a car. My Cougar went through its 36,000 mile warranty in 20 months!
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    My son is doing great. He is growing up very fast.

You are right, I now longer work at my previous employer, so that email address will not work.

I guess you will not be getting an extended warranty for your Cougar since you will be buying a Subaru. Are you trading in your Cougar or selling it on your own.

Did you look into the new Altima while you car shopped? just curious!
    ...and having them dashed against the rocks of Hell's misfortune.

[Hint: burnsmr4 did NOT get his Subaru.]

The kid I was dealing with couldn't secure a loan. Four hours -- FOUR HOURS -- from me getting a new Subaru, and my young buyer bails because he doesn't have enough credit history to secure a loan. Parents wouldn't co-sign either.

I couldn't be mad at the kid. He was trying so hard to buy the car on his own. I would've tried the same thing, although having a parental co-signer backup was always an option for me.

Thankfully, I have other interested buyers in the wings, one of which is serious. If, alas, this one falls through, I'll probably keep the Cougar until it's paid off. No extended warranty though. I didn't want to spend the money on it, particularly after I saw how dealerships marked it up. Another safety/security feature I'd have to negotiate on. FMC doesn't deserve my business if that's the way it runs its extended warranty program.

On a lighter note, before I heard from the kid, I test drove a Subaru Outback Sport -- the Outback version of the Impreza WRX wagon, minus the turbocharged engine. It feels a little cramped left and right, but headroom is great. I still prefer the Forester S with much greater cargo space, but that little Outback Sport is my backup plan.

Assuming my hopes aren't dashed against the rocks of...oh...screw it. You folks know the story.

[Long sigh.]

Later,
    burnsmr4

P.S. - I didn't look at the Nissan Altima, Fish8. I learned my first-run model year lesson with the Cougar. It was either C&D or AutoWeek that voiced serious concerns about build quality on the first run of the new model. No thanks.
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    Good point about the first year run cars. By the time I get rid of my Cougar, the Mazda 6 will be out. That car looks sweet. Though, it will also be in its first year of production......I guess we learned our lesson with the '99 Cougars. The sad part about this is I ran into the same problem with my '97 Jeep Wrangler. That car was in the shop almost as much as my Cougar.
  • Hey all! I'm coming up on the two-year mark with my Cougar. About 19,700 miles on it now -- no, I don't get around much -- and she's still purring right along.

Friend of mine just got the Forester wagon and likes it, but she adjusted her desires down (?) from a Honda minivan. Minivan longing....Must be something that kicks in with childbirth.

Looks like I'll have nothing to worry about in that regard!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via Town Hall/Talk to the Press or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Folks,

It has been a pleasure getting to know some of you during my '99 Mercury Cougar V-6 ownership.

Alas, I found a buyer for my car this week. Tonight, my Cougar is in the hands of a GA teen heading off to a college. Definitely a better freshman ride than the hick-[non-permissible content removed], late-model, two-tone Ford Ranger which accompanied me to the halls of higher education.

I completed a deal on 2002 Subaru Forester S this afternoon. The S trim level features a two-tone finish. My car's primary color is red/burgundy. Not my first choice, but low equipment S trim level Foresters are hard to come by in Atlanta.

Just remember the good times we had. The standard equipment rattles. The Christmas pickle debacle. My Cougar's strange, inexplicable attraction to body shops. ;-P

Y'all be safe, take good care of your cars, and let me know when the "New Edge" Cougar finally becomes a collector's item. In the meantime, I'm going to learn about AWD and how to install child safety seats in my new "family" car. ;-)

Sincerely,
    burnsmr4
  • aussyaussy Posts: 20
    lately we have been seeing a lot of people dumping their cougars and buying other cars.....my friends....last Nov i bought a 2002 cougar XR fully loaded. got a great deal from showcase auto plaza here in modesto. my new cougar now has 5K on it....has had the oil changed once and i love it.....i commute a lot here in CA but i have had it in the hills...it handles like a dream.....i think this car is better then the camaro a buddy of mines has......every feature the car has from the defrost system to the brakes to the powered seat works perfectly..........i have not had any of the rattles, whirrs or problems others have described....my brakes don't grind or squeal, the interior comfort system is awesome and the seats are the most comfortable i have ever sat in...the lumbar support has even eased some back problems i have.....i even get 23.5 mpg and that's considering i have a lead foot....i love this car and can not ever see parting with it until my cats dead.......
  • Congrats Coolchick on your anniversary! You're right you don't get around much in that vehicle. I got my 2001 cougar in May 2001 and I already have 20,000 miles on it. Driving from Philadelphia to near Pittsburgh will do that to a car.

Aussy! Congrats on your purchase! Glad to see there are some people who are still brave enough to buy a new cougar.

burnsmr4! Good luck with your car and your family. You will be missed on the boards... even in my short time as a member.. I can tell.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Burnsmr4: You've given that college kid an unfair advantage in hunting co-eds ;-) Good luck in the future with your new ride, and fill up that back seat with little #4's.

Coolchick: I guess we're about the same in total mileage/yr. Just passed 3 yr in Dec, and am about to hit 30K. That includes a couple of long range vacations plus my daily commute. Guess I just don't run around all night living the wild life like some of the younger folk here do. Except for my big accident and the steering shimmy that developed over time, the Cougar hasn't been a bad car and has been dead reliable through three Chicago winters. Still fun to drive, gets the occasional admiring looks and comments, and the cargo capability is still tops in it's class.

Aussie: Welcome aboard. Hope you have a long happy relationship with your cat. I guess when they finally get to building them right, they end production.

Skip G.
  • Welcome abourd Aussy.

Glad to hear of your purchase and that you haven't had any problems. I haven't had any problems with my 2001 C2, so I'm assuming most of the problems are just related to the first 2 years of the Cougar and that Mercury worked out the kinks by the time my 2001 and you 2002 were produced.

I still love my car and still get tons of comments on it. Everyone loves is and people always want to know what it is.

Oh, I got mine in July 2001 and have 8,432 miles on it as of this morning.

David
  • As a refresher..I have a 2001 Black on Black C2 ATX..zero reliability problems. It now has 7400 miles, and the Auto trnsmission that I loathed when it was new, has taken on a new personality..a MUCH more aggreeable one at that. (for those who are not aware, the transmission was not smooth shifting, and never selected the right gear for the occasion) Now its nearly perfect all the time, its always in third or second gear when I need it, and the upshift is far smoother than before. The only other ongoing annoyance is **minor** squeak/rattles from the pillar behind my ahead somewhere around the seatbelt. anyone have the same? I have to say that I only get to hear the noises on half the roads I drive on, which are post 1995 Northridge earthquake Socal roads (if nobody gets this, that means REALLY BAD!). Thats it. I am very proud of my Cat, and I await the return.
    Peace to all.
    Later, enjoy your Subaru, I know they are great cars!
  • A guy who works at a military car sales office told me that Mercury is getting rid of the Cougar. Is this true?
  • They are temporarily doing away with it. It is reportedly coming back in 2005 on a plaform shared with the new Mustang and will be rear wheel drive.
    [Waits for CSG regulars to stop laughing and pull themselves up off the floor.]

Yep. Brand new Subaru. Purchased 8 days ago. And I'm driving a rental car -- a Ford Focus SE.

I would buy the one car on the lot that has a rare fuel system issue that prevents me from filling up the tank. Apparently my vehicle came with the "One-Time Use" option -- for $700 or so. It's in the shop now getting a lovely fuel system inspection.

Personally, I think the goofs at the Mercury dealership across the street saw me in the Subaru lot and sabotaged my car. Yeah. That's the answer. Sabotage.

[Runs away giggling in a nervous, devious, sort of schizophrenic sort of way.]

Your transportation-cursed companion,
    burnsmr4
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    You know its been awhile since I've posted so here I am in Times Square... in my hotel room But seriously my 99 (built mar 99) has been great a few glitches but nothing major, most stuff just me being anal... and using a warranty, that I paid for, to its fullest. Well thats all for me.

I won't laugh at you Burns.. All cars will have their problems... American vs Imports. New vs Used. I'm just glad my lil green cougar is still being a good kitty... despite my neglect during the winter months...(my minivan gets all the attention in the winter)

Speaking of Minivans....
    I forget who made the comment, but its got nothing to do with children..My Astro, was bought instead of a Pick'up truck. has the same utitity(to me) as a hick-up truk and it has more utility than most "sport utes" and I can seat 8. And to top it off, its a HO version which puts outt 170hp, w 4.10 gears... heh might even give my cougar a run for its money, but I doubt it...
    cheers.
    E
  • Well, I've got both and they're both good. My Cougar has apparently gotten over its clutch interlock problems and I've gotten over having the car die on me because of it. My wife's Plymouth Voyager is a really great device. It's comfortable, quiet, and has great audio. Best car I've ever driven for long distances and you can put small trees in it besides. Downsides are poor cornering and total absence of cachet.

It's too bad the Cougar's gone; it's worse that Ford never gave it a chance. With any visible marketing presence and some attention to the car's rough edges, they could have had a success. Instead, it's all down the drain and the Cougar name (really one of the great car names) may appear someday on a T-Bird with special ugly styling like they used to do.
    ...and sell it to a teenager on his/her way to college. I sold my car two weeks ago, and when I met the father of the kid to hand over the title, he said his boy was already planning for mods of all sorts. I'm glad that the car that troubled me (or did I trouble it?) has gone to a good home.

Y'all have a nice and safe weekend. Happy Cougaring...or Subaru-ing!

:-)

burnsmr4
    Man,

It is really sad to see how dead this board has become. I remember when this was one of the most popular boards on Edmunds, heck...the Cougar Support Group was the first Owner's Club!

Now, people are dissapearing...just like the New Edge Cougar will. People are getting rid of their Cougars, and unlike people in other groups who talk about buying the new updated versions of their cars, I have never heard anyone say they are going to trade in their old Cougar for a new one.

OK, people used to talk about buying the Cougar S, and then the project got canned.

Well anyway, I was just reflecting...I still own my Cougar, and I plan on keeping it for a few years after it is paid for, it is the only way I can get my money's worth out of it.

Even when I do buy a new car I will probably keep it. I don't think I would get enough on a trade in. Plus, it is and will always be a very good looking car if I maintain it properly.

gotta go,

Peace!
    Amen brother dgemini!!!

Even the NECO discussion groups have slowed down from thier heyday.

Sad, but a fact, all products have a lifecycle, and the New Edge Cougar is reaching the end of it's.

Like you, I'll probably keep my cat for a few more years. It's been paid for for quite a while now, and I usually don't trade and buy new just for the fun of it. 7-9 years is my usual cycle time as I'm a relatively low mileage driver (10-12Kmi/yr). As long as the car is running well, hasn't pissed me off or been destroyed, why dump it?

In another 3 years, I'll probably be here talking to myself (but then I do that most of the time anyhow).

Skip G
  • I'm still here and plan on being for a long while. I also plan on hanging onto my Cougar till the wheels fall off.

I admit I'm more active on the NECO & CEG forums and NECO listserv than on here though.

I bet a good number of people on NECO will keep their cars for a good long while.

David
  • Well, of course we slowed down. Ford completely stopped for us. My '99 Cougar is going to be my car for several more years, but there's no news, no hot mods, no reason to have a dialogue with other owners.

I'll probably get a new bicycle before I trade the cat. Unless I get a Harley V-rod...
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Although I very rarely post anymore, I do check in several times per week to read the latest posts. I believe that I have read every single post since the CSG was founded in 1998. Keeping up used to be a formidable task.

I still have my '99 Silver Cougar and it has been running great lately. I may consider trading it for something with more doors when my first child arrives this coming summer. Until then, I'm still enjoying the spirited driving experience that the new edge Cougar provides.

Cheers,

Krnch.
    Yesterday in the mail, I received a survey postcard from Mercury stating that the Cougar was discontinued but they were, of course, providing full support to the customers that have one (DUH)

After that, they ask me to fill in a box as to which of the other Mercury products I'd be interested in down the pipe. Sable, Grand Marquis, SUV, van, etc...

Lets think about this for a second. If it hadn't been for the compact sport coupe with good handling, reasonable power, neat styling, hatchback, etc..., I'd never have even stepped into a Mercury dealership. They sold absolutely nothing that I wanted!!!

If they think that I'm a Mercury loyalist, they're dumber than evidenced by thier past marketing moves (no Cougar S, Killing the Cougar while VW intro's an up engined bug).

Now, if they introduce a new sport coupe' in the future without handicapping it against the competition re: power, handling, styling, they might have a chance. I say again, MIGHT have a chance!

End rant.

Krnch:

Keep the Cougar!! Think of all the strength and flexibility training you get for free inserting and extracating a little one from those deep wells in the back. ;-)

Skip G.
    What a response!

I see I must have struck a chord!

Like I said, the Cougar will always be a good looking car. I just hope it lasts over 100,000 miles.

As soon as I get back from Korea I am going to have to fix up my Cougar. It has taken a little abuse from my soon to be ex wife.

Unfortunately, my marriage has become another victim of Korea. Those of you familiar with the military have heard of how those year long separations can destroy a marriage. (Not to mention the problems that existed before you left that are just magnified by a factor 10 while you are apart!)

I guess I will have to get back to the states and use getting my Cougar fixed up AND souping it up a little more to keep my mind busy while I recover from the break-up.

I plan on getting some new dual exhaust tips (the one's right now are all rusted since they weren't polished, and I need to clean my KKM intake.

I probably need to get a 60,000 mile service too. Then, it also needs some bodywork. I will prabably get a full paint job if I can get one for a good price. I don't intend on driving a messed up car when I am still paying for it.

I may also invest in a hopped up chip too. I probably won't do much more after that. I need for this car to last over a 100,000 miles!

Take care everybody!
  • mouse409mouse409 Posts: 34
    I have never posted much, but do check the board everyday. As some of you know I put the Cougar up every Winter, a '99 with 15,000 mi on it. I have got a new winter rat... a 2001 Subaru Outback. As we have had a real mild winter we are looking at getting the Cougar out early.
    I miss all the post's, but I guess I can blame Jac for that. Was also looking forward to this years trip, (and the rain that has to happen)
    I plan to have our Cougar for at least 10 years or more, so I guess I have another orphan. We have had, and still have two, about 4 or 5 of them.
    Dgemini... as a ex navy man you have my prayers to help you get along OK. Best of luck to you