Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• jjp2jjp2 Posts: 10
    Hey, I heard that they were going to put the classic Mercury symbol on the Marauder instead of that stupid hockey stick one. I was hoping they would, so I could put one on my cougar. Every picture of the Marauder, though, shows that same old Mercury symbol. Can I assume that Mercury has decided to stick with the boring?
  • lmigliorelmigliore Posts: 148
    In general, you may assume that Mercury will take the most boring option.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Live chat with Steve Babcock, Marauder Program Manager, behind the 2003 Mercury Marauder, Tuesday June 6th at 6:00 pm PST. Hear how this American muscle sedan was reborn. Ask your questions, get real-time answers and speak your mind. Steve will discuss Marauder's impressive performance capabilities and everything that went into creating this 302-horsepower menacing machine. So chat live and get the inside scoop on the new 2003 Mercury Marauder Tuesday, June 6th.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    That line was classic, Karen. Sorry. It cracked me up.

Other than looking like some sort of special police cruiser, the Marauder is still an old f*rt's car in wolf's clothing. That police cruiser look will be the only thing menacing about it, and folks will most likely use a word like annoying or aggravating to describe it rather than menacing. ;-p

LOL! I can't wait to see what the badass Mercury Behemoth comes out -- a modded Mercury Mountaineer with evil red eyes and shark jaws painted on it. Menacing indeed! LOL!

Later,
    burnsmr4
    I didn't write the copy...just passing it along. ;-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Howdie folks, CSG'ers and X-CSG'ers! Sorry for not posting since ... let's see ... November of last year! Geez that was way too long. I do hear you though about being a little bitter toward Mercury for dissing all of us like that. I put the form letter from Mercury in my Cougar Wall of shame experiences! It's right next to all the reasons I will never buy another Mercury product. Let's see ... So many discussions since last year.

To all the X-CSG'ers - Congratulations on your purchases, and I'm glad at least that you were able to get rid of your "not-the-top-of-the-class" Cats because I was thinking there were nothing but complaints about the car! I still love mine, but know that we've all had our different experiences, and can only imagine they began getting worse in late 99 before they got better in 2001-02.

I'm really dissapointed that with all the assistance, recognition and the like we received from Mercury throughout the years, they totally disregarded the sport coupe market in this way. And although they treated us well when we visited Flat Rock, discussion groups, and other venues, I still feel a bit betrayed. I mean, didn't we sell a bunch of them through this web discussion? At least as many as they sold with their limited advertising!

I do have to say though, that I really appreciated all the support from Dan Calhoun (who went to Mazda) and Mike Sprague. Thanks guys, you made the ownership experience that much more enjoyable. Thank you for both CougarFESTS (as well as Brad Lloyd for organizing) and all the positive support you provided.

That said, there are simply no other Mercury vehicles that I would ever want to buy. If I want an Explorer, I will buy an Explorer (in fact, that's what the wife drives). I will not overspend for a Mountaneer. I will not flip for the Marauder - ever! If I want a Crown Vic, I will buy the one with the Police Package, and maybe get the search light thrown in so I can really intimidate people. Other than that, there really aren't many cars that intrigue me like the Cougar did. I've owned the Cat longer than any other car (almost 4 years!). It would take a special car to keep me in it for that long.

Other than the constant search for a car that offers more or equal what the Cougar offered so many years ago, there is nothing on the road today that offers the value this Cat has brought. I love it, it drives real well, and handles better than I could believe (once I got rid of the FireRocks).

So other than ranting, I should welcome the newest CSG memebers, and hope this discussion board will last a bit longer than the car (so far as I've heard, when they shut the plant down in July, that's when the last one rolls out before they bastardize the Mustang). I won't buy a Mustang built from there, so I guess I have to wait until they retool Detroit and purchase an '05 Cobra Convertible.

So that's a bunch of Ranting, just wanted to let you know that I haven't dropped off the face of the planet and that I still care very much for our beloved Kitties. Thank you all (even the sellers) for hanging out here in the CSG for so long. I feel you are all part of family, and will try to correspond more often. It's amazing the personal changes one can undergo in just 4 years!

I feel I've lost track of everyone, but will make the concious effort to check in more often. I'm not sure what direction the web site will take, as the Bad man and I need to discuss that option. We had so many plans and so little time! Who would've thunk it?

Oh well, I'll be back shortly, I just wanted to say hey to everyone. I'll outline the last several months of Cougar ownership including vandalization (twice) and other more positive experiences.

Take care everyone, and Happy Cougaring! (Subaru'ing/Chevy'ing/etc'ing).
    It has been a weird ride. The New Edge Cougar appeared to be a fresh statement from Mercury but it was suffocated in the company culture. The car suffers from not performing as good as it looks, besides having stuff fall of of it. Both those problems could have been cured if Mercury cared.

Anyway, my black Cat has been real good. The only thing that really annoyed me were two clutch interlock failures, and that seems to have been cured. It is a smooth, quick coupe with enough power to get out of its own way.

It could have been a great car (it looks like a great car) but it's still not a bad car.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    I'm still very happy with my 1999 New Edge Cougar. I drive it every day and aside from a couple of early-on concerns, I've experience none of the supposed horror stories implied by the printed reliability articles.

Clearly, due to Mercury's total lack of Cougar advertising, and therefore trashing of my future resale value, I am very displeased with Ford Motor Company and will quite probably never again purchase one of their products.

We just sold my wife's 1996 Subaru Legacy GT and purchased a 2002 Subaru Legacy GT Limited. Great car.

Hang in there folks. If it ain't broke, don't sell it.
  • duane4taduane4ta Posts: 1
    Hello to all - I am new to this Cougar - world. I bought a '99, just 2 months ago, and so far I really love her! I am trying to buy mudguards, for front & back. JC Whitney has them, and states they can be mounted front or rear. Anyone have any experience with these ?
    Also, if anyone has a better idea as to where, & price-wise, I'm all 'ears'. I am so happy to have found other Cougar lovers, sorta like a little family ! Thanx for your help, Duane
    Please take a moment and read Letter from the Town Hall Manager.

The Town Hall will be looking quite different soon, but we hope you will find the changes beneficial. Your subscriptions should not be affected by this change. I'm sure there will be a discussion in News & Views created to address your questions. Once it is available, I will let you know.

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs

Lmigliore: Happy Cougaring was apparently an individual experience! LOL! I know I've never been more pleased with an automobile, but then again I never fell victim to the ideal of the masses. I think it's a nice idea to have a sub-luxury car with a lot of luxury-like features for a non-luxury price. I like the fact that in '99, I was able to pick up a brand-new, sweet-looking, reliable (to me) car with leather, ABS, traction control, and power driver's seat for less than $20K. I've been looking lately, and can't seem to find one other than the new Tiburon, which pretty much takes the Cougar design, size, weight, and other characteristics into the future where it probably will excel. I think I'm getting the resale value out of my Cat because I'm going to keep it until it's paid off. Then, I can use all the money for a downpayment on something else (maybe the RX-8?).

Blane: Glad to you are still here too, checking out the posts and such. It really does seem like a long time since I was here - mostly because it was. Gee, I'm happy to be back!

Duane: Welcome aboard! When this topic grew to it's current proportions, we knew this was turning into a family atmosphere. If you get the chance, check out the previous couple-thousand posts, and you'll see what I mean. Take care and hang around a while. It's a good owner experience, if you've gotten the right car.

Karen: Thanks for letting us know in advance. What other kinds of changes are expected?

All: Take care and Happy Cougaring!
    Stageleft, I fully agree that the Cougar's concept was superb, and its price made it a great value. But the thing has major irritants: the engine revs don't drop when you let off, the radio doesn't work, you can't see in back of you and there are weird little afflictions arising from indifferent manufacture. All of these, even the visibility problems, could have been cured but were not. As it stands, we almost have a car here.
    Lmigliore: You are correct. I can't dispute anything you've written over the years, and frankly, I agree with most of it. :-)

The sadder fact is that before the first Cougar rolled off the assembly line, I read an article in preparation that mentioned the fact that the Flat Rock plant was not known for building tight cars. Even though I think the folks over there are great (having met them), but now that the demise has occurred, it's highly likely that the build-quality of the car is as much to blame as non-advertisement. Just think, if we didn't need the Support Group part of this, and were just able to enjoy our Cats 100%, then the owners would have sold more with praise. We've had our share of new comers and potential owners that we've scared out of their minds with the descriptions of poor quality and probably caused them to buy the competition. Oh well, that's what they get, to be honest. If they could have only fixed that darned hatch-release problem ... If.

You're right about the indifferent manufacture as well, because I know there's a whole bunch of us that didn't experience the problems that others did. I'm not sure if they started out well, got a little worse, then finished with a bang because they worked out all the details, because they should have gotten all that ironed out in the beginning if Quality is Job 1. Right?

I'll be Happily Cougaring for at least another year. Hopefully by then we'll have something on the road comparible to the Cat when we all purchased early-on. Bang for the buck, and all that.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Good to see you back!!!!

Skip G.

Mud flaps: Mercury sells a complete set w/logo at a reasonable price, and, they fit the body well.
  • Lmigliore:

Based on my experiences with my Cougar I'm going to have to disagree with your comments. My revs instantly drop when I'm stopped at a light and the radio is awesome! Everything appears to well put together and extremely well aligned on all the body parts and interior pieces.

Actually this appears so far to be the highest quality car I have ever owned. The includes a 94 Honda Civic I bought new and very shortly believed it was one of the cheapest built pieces of junk I have ever owned.

Maybe Mercury improved with time or something. I dunno. I know being on NECO that I have heard much less complaining from the late year 2000 thru 2002 owners than I do from the 99 - early 2000 owners. I've never had throttle hang issues nor problems with my hatch release that seemed to have bothered most 99 owners. The radio has been GREAT. Awesome sound out of it.

I think Ford finally got their act together just in time to cancel it. The only problem I ever had was how amazingly long it took to get it built since I special ordered it with the exact options and color I wanted.

David <-----14,000 miles and counting on his 2001 C2 Cougar
    wildcat, your post is good to see but also sad. If the 2001 cat is a good car, why is Mercury stopping it just when it's fixed? Arrgh!
  • aussyaussy Posts: 20
    i have read everything that diff people have to say about the cougar and for my own 2 cents i will give......

I bought my '02 cougar XR 5 speed loaded except for leather and 6 deck cd-changer..in 8 months i have put 11000 miles on her....i have only had ONE problem....the relay switch on the back window wiper had to be readjusted.....my dealership took car of that pronto and gave me a rental car while my cat was being fixed....(YEAH!! SHOWCASE AUTO PLAZA in modesto CA)...
    anyhow....i have driven her hard, sometimes fast and use my cat to commute 60 miles to and from work each day....i open and close the sunroof twice a day.....have played with all the creature features of the car and think this is the best car i have ever owned....
    my cat has been driven in the snow, rain and on slick roads...i love the way my kitten handles....i test drove a 'vette in the rain and my cougar handles better then the 'vette did in the rain....this car looks like a sports car and handles as good as most.....would like a little more power but........
    i am constantly complimented on the car and always have people asking me about it.....i expet to have this car for a very long time....
    one question i do have is this:
    has anyone done any of the performance mods on thier cat??....if so..what kind and are they worth it??
  • harbachjharbachj Posts: 51
    It's good to hear the later Cougars don't have the problems some of the early ones did. My 99 had many of the common problems, but are all resolved. The "throttle hang" annoyance was fixed with the mod developed by the Contour owners - basically a restriction in the intake bypass hose. The trunk release fixed by TWO new lift springs - the original one wasn't strong enough to lift the hatch high enough. Radio problem (speakers cutting in and out) fixed by a new (different model) head unit replaced by my dealer under warranty. My 99 has almost 40,000 miles and has been trouble-free except for the new model issues noted. I intend to keep it for another 3-5 years.

Jim H.
  • Aussy: Good to hear you are having good luck with your Cougar as well. I had forgotten to mention that I haven't had any problems with my sunroof. I know earlier owners complain about the sunroof as well, but good to hear that neither of us have hit that. I use mine all the time and it still works wonderfully.

I should mention that my C2 is basically fully loaded except for leather.

I have the follwoing mods on my C2 Cougar: SVT upper intake manifold, SVT throttle body, SVT diffuser screen, Mirko MAF to filter adaptor, K&N Cone filter, and just received my strut tower bar via UPS today. I'll get it installed this weekend and then my next mods will be a Borla exhaust and a FTP rear strut tower bar.

David
    Gustafsc: Good to be back! Thanks for being here the whole time - and that goes for everyone!

I may be a little behind over the next two days because of a large meeting in the office that I'm supporting.

I've had the Borla dual exhaust installed for more than two years and love it. I've had a KKM intake kit intstalled since 5K miles, and have not had any problems, and I'm now at 42K.

I love my Cat.

Good question about the demise decision, lmigliore. Why would they decide to kill production just when they got it "right"? I suspect poor sales did the Cougar in ...

Happy Cougaring everyone!
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    I drove by the Decatur dealership where I bought my Cougar yesterday (ironically, right next door to the dealership where I got my new 2002 Subaru Forester S), and I saw that there were NO Cougars on the lot. Have they stopped building and delivering them, or has this dealership given up on selling them?

I'll never forget my last service visit to that dealership. The only service drive technician on duty that day showed up 45 minutes late and then blamed me for coming in on a Saturday with a simple key fob reprogramming issue. The technicians were furious with her.

Hope everyone's OK. Is Badulah OK? He never posts in here anymore.

Regards,
    burnsmr4
    Yeah, Burnsmr4, the Bad-man is all right. He's been working really long hours lately, and his computer died two weeks ago, which he is trying to rebuild from.

Other than that, as you noticed with your local dealership, the one I bought mine at has no Cougars left either. There is one in the used car side, and I've seen others in used car lots elsewhere, but new ones seem to be even more rare around here than the older ones.

I have seen the new T-birds though, and what a gorgeous car! The only problem I have with it is the price tag ... because I can't afford one.
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    Hello All,

I am back from Korea. I have been in the process of bringing my Cougar back up to speed.

Due to abuse from my ex-wife I have had to:

*Replace all 4 tires (they were never rotated so the fronts were bald, and the rears were warped).

*Spend over 5.00 vacuuming my car removing pine needles and all kinds of other crap from the interior.

*use rubbing compound and touch up paint to repair a large nasty scrape on the driver's side rear bumper( I now no longer have clear coat on that area!) I also had to use touch up paint to repair nicks on the rear bumper.

*shampoo the seats and headliner (the dumb b*t*h had lipstick stains on my passenger seat!).

*Wax the car (I had cleaned twice but until I actually waxed it I did not realize it was only the clear coat making it shine!)

*Have the insurance company assess damage caused to the front bumper of the car when she went off a curb (the right front bumber is ripped off where it connects to the body of the car, and the rubber lip that was underneath the front spoiler is totally gone!) I am waiting for the check from the insurance company to get that damage repaired!

However, despite the damage to the front bumper the kitty is looking good again! Until I mention the damage to people they don't even notice it.

It is sounding better too! I cleaned my KKM, and added a straight through resonator to my custom dual exhaust. When I installed my custom dual mini-turbo set-up the stock resonator was causing to much back pressure. However my buddy helped me realize that my system was too loud and sounded too much like a fart pipe. The resonator has giving it a quieter mellower (but still sporty) tone.

Anyway, thats enough from me. It is good to see all you Cougar owners and ex-Cougar owners hanging in there.

71,000 miles and still going strong! Other than a replaced throttle no serious mechanical problems!
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    Almost forgot to mention this.

I am still seeng Cougars all over the Fayetteville, NC area.

I am still surprised at how good the Cougar still looks after 4 years of existence! It is still one of the best looking cars on the road.

Like stageleft I plan to get my money's worth out of the Cougar and drive it for as long as I can! I really believe this will still be a good looking car 10, 15, and even 20 years from now!

Hope it holds up!
    dgemini: Welcome home! Glad you're back and working on prettying up the Cat again. There's no subsitute like good grooming ... LOL!

Take care everyone, and Happy Cougaring!
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Great to hear from you, Stageleft. I don't post much anymore, but I do drop in from time to time to catch up on reading all of the posts. I take pride in having read every CSG post since becoming a 'member' in June of 1998 (and all of the posts before that).

I recently came very close to trading my Cougar. My wife is due with our first child in 6 weeks, so I began looking for a Cougar replacement with a couple more doors. I ended up signing an agreement to purchase a 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE. This car really moves! With the 5 speed it's one of the fastest cars I have ever driven. 0-60 in 6.3 seconds - that's Boxster territory! I like the styling and it is very quiet on the open road (a good thing, I was thinking, for keeping the baby asleep). I figured that if I had to trade a sporty car for a familymobile, the new Altima (with the 240 hp V6 and 5 speed) was about the sportiest thing going in my price range.

That said, the dealership had to terminate my purchase agreement because they cannot get anymore 2002 Altimas with the options I wanted. Upon inquiring elsewhere, I discovered that no more of these Altimas are coming to Canada in 2002 - period! (I've sent a very dissatisfied letter to Nissan Canada, but that's another story). So I've decided to keep driving the Cougar for the time being. Who knows, maybe I'll just keep driving it indefinitely and use my wife's Civic as the 'familymobile'.

On the whole, I've enjoyed my Cougar experience. I must say that being part of the CSG definitely added to the enjoyment of Cougaring. It was cool to be part of this 'club' and I enjoyed meeting several members at the Lake Placid get-together in 2000. I have had my share of problems with my car, the most recent of which was having to replace the front bearings. The car remains fun to drive and I agree with everyone else here that it remains one of the hottest looking cars on the road.

Best wishes to all...

Krnch.
  • mouse409mouse409 Posts: 34
    So good to see you back. I also do not post much but read the CSG every day, or almost. Our kitty, a 99, now only has 16,000 mi on it. Have not had much of any problems with it. It is a great car for the money. We have replaced our '93 Escort Wagon with a new Subaru Outback Wagon, (sort of a suc) but its still our winter rat. The kitty still gets put up in the winter time. Sal and I will miss our get toegether (in the rain) this year. We would not have have a problem going down south (you do have rain) to see the CSG. Maybe the Badman, and some of the other Yankee's could get away and make it also.
    To other Cougar Wannybees... We have had our '99 for 3 years and have not had any problems. We have had reasonable service from our dealer.

Any how if you would like to have a reunion down near you we would be very interested. You would be requied to request rain for the weekend to make it official
  • jjp2jjp2 Posts: 10
    I'm still driving my gold 99 Cougar. Has 51,000 miles on it, and I have had zero mechanical problems, other than the damn rear hatch, and a hood release that broke twice! Only mods are the Pacesetter dual exhaust (I cut off the rotted out tips, recently, and replaced them with dual Ichibana stainless steel tips), and 17" Maxxim volume wheels. I still love the car. If they had built a Cougar S, I would buy one again.
    Krnch: Congratulations on deciding to keep the Cougar! I heard that the rear seats are really easy to get children in and out of ... NOT! LOL! But since it's not supposed to be easy, I guess I'll let it slide that the kidmobile is a Honda. I just feel sorry for the child to grow up in that kind of environment ;-)

Mouse: Good to hear from you. We should do another get-together. The next time Badulah and I are getting together is at the end of July when the Speed World Touring Championship comes to Washington D.C. If you go through http://www.speedvisionwc.com and find the link for schedule and then click the link for the D.C. race, it's from July 19-21. It should be a blast. I'm not sure how much tickets are going to cost us, but I definately want to see Leo race again in person.

Happy Monday everyone, and Happy Cougaring!

• coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    Hi Lefty! Good to see you back in here again, and tell the Badman that we miss his input!

My little kitty keeps rolling right along without a hitch, sputter or glitch. Now about 22,350 miles on her and needing a wax job, but I'll get to that soon. BF is going to let me use his garage for waxing in the shade. He is unfortunately impervious to brownies, so I'll get to do the bulk of the labor myself :(

I'm also wanting to see the races in D.C., and so is he. I'll check with him; because of his racing connections, maybe we can get in on a group discount? Worth a shot, right?