Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• Hi all,

I was trying to figure out the differences between the trimlines for the 2002 cougars. (Sport, Sport Premium, and Sport Ultimate)

As far as I can tell, they're all the same except that Sport Premium has a Sunroof (sport does not) and Sport Ultimate has side airbags(sport and premium do not).

Are those the only differences? Aren't those features a bit trivial to warrant trim names like PREMIUM and ULTIMATE?
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    How true, how true.......
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    Thanks, dasaint1, for the info. I might have the dealership do that. Unfortunately, I may have found where the burnning oil smell was coming from for so long after an oil change. Believe it or not, but it may have come from a disintegrating oil cap!

I opened my hood the other day to check again for oil on the engine block from a messy dealership oil change, and I couldn't find any, except around the oil cap. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the oil cap was corroded around the edge on one side. I took it off and inspected it more closely.

The entire edge of the oil cap was corroded, and the plastic was brittle -- it broke into pieces when I ran my finger around the edge. I have no idea what caused it, but the dealership replaced the oil cap under warranty. The parts man said that the cap was not the first he had seen with corrosion.

The broken seal and edges on the cap probably allowed hot oil to seep out onto the engine while driving. There are oil spots on the underside of the hood which seem to indicate spraying under pressure. What would have caused this? Something at the dealership shop or a chance chemical reaction?

By the way, harbachj -- I have the sport group too, and I don't get a beep or honk on the second press of the keyless remote entry. Just flashing lights. Can you reconfirm?
  • Just to confirm burnsmr4, I have a 99 with the sport and convenience packages. If I press the keyless entry button to lock the car and it is already locked, the lights flash and horn beeps. It will not beep if the car is unlocked and I press lock, or if its locked and I press unlock. This is pretty standard for most keyless entry systems. I have seen service people at dealerships use this feature to locate a car in the lot.

Jim H.
    Huh. I don't have the package that included the 16" wheels on the '99, but I do have the convenience group. Still no beep on the second press. Lmigliore's doesn't beep either on the second one, according to an earlier post. All I have is the red panic button. Would be neat to have the keyless remote entry beep too. :-)
  • Fords keyless entry systems in all cars are designed to sound the horn if it is already locked or "armed". However the system is programmable by the dealer and can be changed to suit whatever you like. For the record my 2001 Fully loaded C2 does beep when the button is pressed twice.
    Chris-
    ...if the dealerships told buyers about these sorts of options. Whom do I ask? Service writer, parts department, sales manager? I'd like the horn honk. :-)
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    I'm pretty sure that most 99 cougars (at least the earlier ones) do not beep. This is something that members of this group discovered at the Lake Placid CSG get together in 2000. My 99 cougar with sport and convenience groups does not beep. FMC added this awesome feature later.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Mine beeps when the lock button on the remote is pressed AFTER the doors have been locked (either by a first press of the remote button OR manually, before closing the door). Build date was June 1999.
    That's why yours beeps. Oh, well. I'll go without the beep. I think I can survive.

[Sniffle. Tear forms on cheek. Looks away shamefully.]
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    My beepless Cougar was built October 1998.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Took delivery 12/7/98, no beep.

Is that a warranty claim? ;-)

Happy holiday everybody, see you on Monday.

Skip G.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    burnsmr4

Re your post #1371, mine is a MY'99. Please don't cry though.
  • This incessant beeping has got to stop...
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    Hope all are well and happy, and have a great holiday.
    Just read the review of Edmund's 2001-2002 Sport Coupe Comparison Test. When I clicked on last place I knew the Cougar would be last (even though I secretly hoped it would be higher)

One of the worst things about the article is that I have been looking for a review on the Cougar to see how it compared to the latest comptetion.

It was really sad to see the same things we have been saying for the last couple of years:

"The nice thing to say here is that the Cougar is a good car but that the other five cars are simply better. And while that's true, a higher finish would have almost certainly come about if Mercury had decided to offer the Cougar S for 2001."

Sad but true.

I still love my Cougar...and I plan on owning the car for quite a few years after it is paid off (please baby...stay together for daddy!) but it would be so nice to own a car that is considered to be among the best in it's class...instead of being considered among the worst.

At least they did say that the Cougar IS a good car, AND it does look good.

Anyway...enough venting for now...

24 more days and I will be driving my Cougar for the first time in over 6 months! Yaaayy. Even better, I will be with my wife! Yaaayy
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    I just wanted to drop in and say Hi! I have not posted in awhile and wanted to let everyone know I am still alive. Later!
    ...is your Cougar still alive?

If so, don't let it read the Edmunds.com homepage story on sport coupes.

I agree with the above -- no more beeping. I can live without the beep. Honestly. I can.

[Runs out of room holding back tears. Schedules appointment with beeping therapist.]

By the way -- hope EVERYONE had a GREAT and SAFE Thanksgiving. Raise your hands if you flew over the holidays. Those with your hands up get a cookie for having (a) cahonies and/or (b) a helluva lot of courage. :-)

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    Hey All:
    I'm glad to see everyone is still around and doing well. I'm sorry that I have not been around lately, but I plan to change that.

I have been in contact with Lefty on a regular basis. We are planning to get together sometime after Christmas and we will discuss the 2002 CSG calender. We are still doing work for Capaldi Racing and we plan to have several gatherings at various races in order to support him and his team. Hopefully we can hold this group together for a few more years.

-Rob
    How are you? How's the job hunting going?