Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• Well, I've got both and they're both good. My Cougar has apparently gotten over its clutch interlock problems and I've gotten over having the car die on me because of it. My wife's Plymouth Voyager is a really great device. It's comfortable, quiet, and has great audio. Best car I've ever driven for long distances and you can put small trees in it besides. Downsides are poor cornering and total absence of cachet.

It's too bad the Cougar's gone; it's worse that Ford never gave it a chance. With any visible marketing presence and some attention to the car's rough edges, they could have had a success. Instead, it's all down the drain and the Cougar name (really one of the great car names) may appear someday on a T-Bird with special ugly styling like they used to do.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    ...and sell it to a teenager on his/her way to college. I sold my car two weeks ago, and when I met the father of the kid to hand over the title, he said his boy was already planning for mods of all sorts. I'm glad that the car that troubled me (or did I trouble it?) has gone to a good home.

Y'all have a nice and safe weekend. Happy Cougaring...or Subaru-ing!

:-)

burnsmr4
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    Man,

It is really sad to see how dead this board has become. I remember when this was one of the most popular boards on Edmunds, heck...the Cougar Support Group was the first Owner's Club!

Now, people are dissapearing...just like the New Edge Cougar will. People are getting rid of their Cougars, and unlike people in other groups who talk about buying the new updated versions of their cars, I have never heard anyone say they are going to trade in their old Cougar for a new one.

OK, people used to talk about buying the Cougar S, and then the project got canned.

Well anyway, I was just reflecting...I still own my Cougar, and I plan on keeping it for a few years after it is paid for, it is the only way I can get my money's worth out of it.

Even when I do buy a new car I will probably keep it. I don't think I would get enough on a trade in. Plus, it is and will always be a very good looking car if I maintain it properly.

gotta go,

Peace!
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Amen brother dgemini!!!

Even the NECO discussion groups have slowed down from thier heyday.

Sad, but a fact, all products have a lifecycle, and the New Edge Cougar is reaching the end of it's.

Like you, I'll probably keep my cat for a few more years. It's been paid for for quite a while now, and I usually don't trade and buy new just for the fun of it. 7-9 years is my usual cycle time as I'm a relatively low mileage driver (10-12Kmi/yr). As long as the car is running well, hasn't pissed me off or been destroyed, why dump it?

In another 3 years, I'll probably be here talking to myself (but then I do that most of the time anyhow).

Skip G
  • I'm still here and plan on being for a long while. I also plan on hanging onto my Cougar till the wheels fall off.

I admit I'm more active on the NECO & CEG forums and NECO listserv than on here though.

I bet a good number of people on NECO will keep their cars for a good long while.

David
  • Well, of course we slowed down. Ford completely stopped for us. My '99 Cougar is going to be my car for several more years, but there's no news, no hot mods, no reason to have a dialogue with other owners.

I'll probably get a new bicycle before I trade the cat. Unless I get a Harley V-rod...
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Although I very rarely post anymore, I do check in several times per week to read the latest posts. I believe that I have read every single post since the CSG was founded in 1998. Keeping up used to be a formidable task.

I still have my '99 Silver Cougar and it has been running great lately. I may consider trading it for something with more doors when my first child arrives this coming summer. Until then, I'm still enjoying the spirited driving experience that the new edge Cougar provides.

Cheers,

Krnch.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Yesterday in the mail, I received a survey postcard from Mercury stating that the Cougar was discontinued but they were, of course, providing full support to the customers that have one (DUH)

After that, they ask me to fill in a box as to which of the other Mercury products I'd be interested in down the pipe. Sable, Grand Marquis, SUV, van, etc...

Lets think about this for a second. If it hadn't been for the compact sport coupe with good handling, reasonable power, neat styling, hatchback, etc..., I'd never have even stepped into a Mercury dealership. They sold absolutely nothing that I wanted!!!

If they think that I'm a Mercury loyalist, they're dumber than evidenced by thier past marketing moves (no Cougar S, Killing the Cougar while VW intro's an up engined bug).

Now, if they introduce a new sport coupe' in the future without handicapping it against the competition re: power, handling, styling, they might have a chance. I say again, MIGHT have a chance!

End rant.

Krnch:

Keep the Cougar!! Think of all the strength and flexibility training you get for free inserting and extracating a little one from those deep wells in the back. ;-)

Skip G.
    What a response!

I see I must have struck a chord!

Like I said, the Cougar will always be a good looking car. I just hope it lasts over 100,000 miles.

As soon as I get back from Korea I am going to have to fix up my Cougar. It has taken a little abuse from my soon to be ex wife.

Unfortunately, my marriage has become another victim of Korea. Those of you familiar with the military have heard of how those year long separations can destroy a marriage. (Not to mention the problems that existed before you left that are just magnified by a factor 10 while you are apart!)

I guess I will have to get back to the states and use getting my Cougar fixed up AND souping it up a little more to keep my mind busy while I recover from the break-up.

I plan on getting some new dual exhaust tips (the one's right now are all rusted since they weren't polished, and I need to clean my KKM intake.

I probably need to get a 60,000 mile service too. Then, it also needs some bodywork. I will prabably get a full paint job if I can get one for a good price. I don't intend on driving a messed up car when I am still paying for it.

I may also invest in a hopped up chip too. I probably won't do much more after that. I need for this car to last over a 100,000 miles!

Take care everybody!
  • mouse409mouse409 Posts: 34
    I have never posted much, but do check the board everyday. As some of you know I put the Cougar up every Winter, a '99 with 15,000 mi on it. I have got a new winter rat... a 2001 Subaru Outback. As we have had a real mild winter we are looking at getting the Cougar out early.
    I miss all the post's, but I guess I can blame Jac for that. Was also looking forward to this years trip, (and the rain that has to happen)
    I plan to have our Cougar for at least 10 years or more, so I guess I have another orphan. We have had, and still have two, about 4 or 5 of them.
    Dgemini... as a ex navy man you have my prayers to help you get along OK. Best of luck to you
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    Sadly, I have joined the ranks of the 'former Cougar owners'. In my case it was the fear factor that chased me away. My dear Kitty, with all of 20K km suffered yet another minor electrical problem. This time unfortunately, the minor electrical problem resulted in the engine bursting into flames while I was driving on the Queensway at 120 clicks per/hr (Krnch will know what I am referring to). Despite the dealers assurance that the car could be fixed and would be "just like new " I decided not to take the chance and refused to take the car back.

I am now driving a 2002 Focus ZX3 which, although can't be compared to the Cougar, has a much, much, much better reliability rating. I still feel a little like I am loosing a friend (many actually) but safety has to come first.

Krnch:

CONGRATULATIONS

Dgemini:

Not sure what to say. Very sorry to hear about your marital problems but these things do have away of working out for the best. Not very consoling I know (sounds a bit like motherly advice) but my best wishes are with you.
  • aussyaussy Posts: 20
    back in Nov I bought the '02 cougar XR....now that they are being discontinued...does this mean the XR could become a collectable??
  • lmigliorelmigliore Posts: 148
    Your response sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't think I could trust a car that bursts into flames for no particular reason. I nearly got rid of mine for not starting on two occasions; if it caught on fire I'd let it burn.
  • I sent Mercury back a letter letting them know the only reason I bought a Mercury was because of the Cougar and that another sporty car similar to it would probably be the only reason for me to consider Mercury in the future as well. I know it won't do any good, but it felt good anyway. :)

I plan to keep my Cougar until it falls into a pile of unrecognizable pieces and if maintained properly then that means FOREVER! :)
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    lmigliore -- that was absolutely the funniest thing I've ever heard! "I'd let it burn!" LOL!

burnsmr4
  • lmigliorelmigliore Posts: 148
    I believe Darryl Strawberry said the same thing about Los Angeles.
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    Believe me it was tempting!
    Mouse409:

Thanks for the prayers...I need them. Funny, since this whole thing occurred I have been going back to church and reading my bible more.

I realize that if I am ever going to get straight to ensure something like this doesn't happen again I need to get right with God.

Camelard:

I hope it does work itself out (I just put the divorce papers in the mail today) If she wants me back I will go back, if she doesn't? I will survive...recover...and meet some other beautiful women who believes I am worth hanging in there for.

Sorry about your kitty going up in flames...I hope mine hangs in there. If I were still a family man (I married instant family, when I married my wife I had 4 kids, and 2 grandkid...I know...don't say anything) I wold have considered a Focus. I think the Focus is quite attractive, even the wagon. My soon to be ex test drove one and I really liked the size of interior and the handling.
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    I've been lax about checking in here for a few weeks. Work was so busy for a while that I was putting in 15 hours a day for about 25 days straight. Dang! That's no way to exist.

My kitty, God bless her little metal soul, is still running great. 20145 miles on her now.

Took my bf out for a spin today. First time he's spent any time in the cat -- he always drives & we ride in one of his fastmobiles. He was very impressed with the interior styling (has always admired exterior design). Unfortunately, everyone else was playing hooky today, too, so the roads were too crowded to play much.

Hey, Bad-man, are you visiting my area? I passed a black kitty with Joizey plates on it about 5:30 this afternoon.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Thanks for the congrats, Camelard. Good luck with you new car.