Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Coolchick: It's always worth a shot to save money! Let us know what he can do. That's really cool, thanks.

So I'm finally taking my car to the dealership for the four recalls: Heater Blower Resistor; Mis-routed Battery Cable; Brake Lamp Harness; Fuel Filler Neck. Strange that I waited this long, but in my mind if it's not broken, don't mess with it. I just have to go to the dealership anyway because the check engine light came on last week. Doesn't seem to be interfering with the mechanicals of the car, but I want to be sure that it's only a sensor and not something more. Anyhow, take care everyone and talk to you soon.

Happy Cougaring!
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    I checked on the tickets and I don't think I can deliver on the hoped-for discount. His racing club tickets actually cost *more* than standard because they're sponsoring a tent. He and his buddy actually ordered their tickets back in February - $230 for the series. yipes!

He did say that there may be some luck checking with the Cadillac dealerships because Caddy is sponsoring the races. Also suggested the American Le Mans Series website for other options. And since Leo Capaldi is racing a Cougar, a possibility exists that his organization may have a block of tickets that, while not necessarily discounted, will be available if the event is close to selling out.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    ...and it's not me, go figure!

From the AutoWeek Car Board:

http://www.autoweek.com/carboard/index.mv

(Look for this week's car board article.)

Enjoy...or shrug and wonder, "What can we do if Ford can't do better than this?"

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    Hello fellow kitty owners,

Really enjoying driving the kitty around now...It is driving great with the four new tires and it sounds great with the recently modded custom exhaust (added a resonator).

Plus, just got my check from the Insurance company, kitty will be looking good as new within a few days!

It has just been so darned hot here in NC! Today my temperature gauge has been hovering between 98-100 degrees! And since I am trying to save gas I have been driving without the AC on....thank God the humidity hasn't kicked in yet!

This is going to be some summer!

Happy Cougaring
    It sure is going to be hot this year. I think it's going to be that temperature for a majority of the summer. You should probably use the A/C though, or you may melt away! :-)

I'm very distraught that they think in that article that the Cougar is an overpriced SVT Focus. It's totally not related to that car at all, how dare they make that comparison! The next issue I have is with the comparison between the Cougar and the conglomeration of other cars they say the Cougar resembles. First off, the other cars resemble the Cougar because the Cougar was out first! The sad Cat never gets the recognition because Mercury never advertised it. Geez. You'd think the automotive industry would at least get their head out of that hole and see the light. Yes, it's sad that it's too little too late with the XR. Yes, it's sad that Mercury never had the guts to put the power behind the appearance. Yes, it's sad they killed our beloved Cat. And yes, it's sad that the auto-writers can't get their facts straight. I hate reading things that are inaccurate. Bozos.

Anyhow, I have one piece of advice for anyone in the Washington, DC area: Never take your car to Cherner automotive for repair. They don't take care of the car while it's there, barely do enough to say they've done the requested work, and damage the car everytime you take it in.

End of rant.

Happy Cougaring!
    So how was everyone's weekend? I had a blast. If you were a fan of the old Scooby Doo cartoons, then go see the movie! It's really funny and remeniscent of the cartoon.

Anyhow, not much else happened this weekend. Rather quiet for once.

Take care and Happy Cougaring!
  • donnytdonnyt Posts: 2
    Has anyone tried running TSD Rallys in a Cougar. I'm getting ready to purchase a '99 V6 5 speed and plan on running a TSD Rally this weekend.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Donny
    Donny: Welcome to the board! What is a TSD Rally that's different than the kind that goes offroad?

And, if that is the case, then I suggest beefing up the suspension before going offroad, and maybe get a skidplate too :-)
  • donnytdonnyt Posts: 2
    TSD Rallys are Time Speed Distance competitions. They usually are on unpaved roads, nothing like WRC Rallys, and are scored based on you and your navigator's ability to drive a prescribed speed over a prescribed route in the appropriate amount of time. If you're early you get penalized, if you're late you get penalized. It doesn't sound to exciting, but it is a real adrenaline pump. This will be my wife and my second rally and we've been looking forward to it since our last one. I ran my last one in my 1991 Pontiac Grand Am and it performed very well. I hope that the Cougar can match it's performance.

If you're interested in TSD Rallying, check out the SCCA homepage.

www.scca.org

Donny
    Thanks for the clarification, Donny. I had forgotten about the other type of rally because I recently got WRC for PS2. What a game!

If a Pontiac did you well on the last one you participated in, then the Cougar should do really well.

Happy Cougaring!
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    Have you all seen the Toyota Celica commercials?

You know the one's where an old guy is yelling at a parked Celica, telling it to slow down; or the one where a dog chases a parked Celica and runs into the back of it, etc.

Why couldn't Mercury have advertised the Cougar like that.

I actually had another person come up to me and say they didn't know my car was a Cougar!

Sigh......
    I still get that all the time. We should cherish the fact that less than 1 million units were sold. Heck, I'd be surprised if even 500,000 Cougars are on the roads right now. Sooner or later, we are going to have the car that no one knows what it is - oh, that's already happening! I love the one where the dog runs into the back of the car. They would have had me too, if it weren't for the small size of the car. I can't even get my big toe into one at 6'6", much less work the clutch.

Mercury should have done a lot of things they did not as far as advertising goes. They also should have done more as far as projected and proposed performance goes (cough, cough, Cougar S, cough) but they chose, instead, to make the Mustang at the Flat Rock plant while they retool Detroit for the '05 Stang. Oh well, what are we going to do? They didn't listen to us when they asked the questions, and now that the car is officially dead, they probably don't want to hear from us again. I'd like to thank them for the years, but they're probably not even keeping up with our discussions anymore, either.

Anyhow, I plan on buying all the performance goodies I can get my hands on before the aftermarket gives up on us, and then I'll have a street screamer for the future because I'm sure we'll see that our model Cougar's design is timeless, and will live long into the future. I'm just not sure the car will.

Take care, and Happy Cougaring!
  • I get that question all the time too and I love it! Everyone is always stunned when I tell them it is a Mercury Cougar. I imagine that will happen as long as I own my Cougar and I intend to won it for an extremely long time.

I just did a roadtrip of 2,300+ miles and she performed perfectly. Extremely comfortable even when I spent 12 1/2 hours in her one day. Great long distance cruiser. Plus 32 mpg with my V6 auto for the trip! Most of the highway miles were between 75 and 80mph as well. Can't complain about that.

Long live our New Edge Cougars!
    ksuwildcat001: I always thought that the Cougar was a great trip car. I think that's why it belonged more in the Touring class rather than the sport compact market. In 99-00, there were many complaints from the auto magazines about the comfort (or lack thereof) of the seats, but I never had a problem with them. I think the lumbar hits the right place and everything. What a great car that will no longer be built. Not bad for 4 years of being a stepchild to the big Blue Oval, eh?

Happy Cougaring!
  • camelardcamelard Posts: 171
    As many of you know I don't have the Kitty anymore (for those who don't, long story) and I do miss her.

Congrats to Krnch on the future addition.

Stageleft: welcome back:):):):):):):):):)

Hope all are well.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Posts: 148
    The Cougar's comfort or lack of it seems to be a very personal thing. Some people (like me) find the seats to be a perfect fit; others can't stand them. I remember when I was looking for a car to buy, I drove a Mustang and found it very uncomfortable; that was one reason I got the Cougar. But apparently millions more people are comfortable in Mustangs than in Cougars.
  • Hey everyone, its nice to see people talking on message boards. i am considering purchasing a 2001 V6 cougar, but there are a few little things i would appreciate some owners' input.
    First,
    when i test drove the cougar, (all i know how to drive is automatic) the engine didn't seem as powerful as i would have thought, particularly when already going 35 or 45 MPH. Has anyone drive both a stick and automatic and can tell me the difference in speed or power? also, some of the reviews i have read about it say that the manual transmission(i'm hoping to get a manual and learn) gear shifting is not very smooth and not very refined. any input?
    Second, are just a few little things. the rear view mirror seemed to be very low on the windshield and was distracting, but only when going around turns when i'm looking across the windshield to the right. does it just take getting used to or is it a pain? also, the visibility through the rear view mirror was considerably less than the camry i own right now. i know there is less glass and its at a different angle, but does that just take getting used to also or is it a pain to deal with when changing lanes?
    Anyone that can help with some advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks folks.
  • Stageleft: Good point. Yep, not bad at all for a stepchild car. If the Cougar was to be considered in the sport compact then Ford should have dropped the 3L V6 in it. It is a great all around car though and I am extremely happy with mine.

herhnycherio: I've heard that the manual Cougars feel much more powerful than the auto. I know auto in general are slower and feel less powerful. My Cougar seems to pretty spunky in the speed range you mentioned though. The rear view mirror has never been a distraction for me, but maybe that is just me. The biggest thing for me was adjusting the mirrors so the blindspot was as small as possible during changing lanes. Good luck with a Cougar if you get one. I love mine! Hopefully it will last for decades!
  • coolchickcoolchick Posts: 174
    herhnycherio - get some small fish-eye mirrors to add to your side view mirrors and that will take care of the problem in no time. I live in an extremely overcrowded metro area and there's ALWAYS someone in my (formerly) blind spots. A couple of bucks is a small price to pay, indeed, for so much extra safety.

I'm getting ready to road trip at the end of the week. And my kitty may get a lot more miles on it than initially planned. Seems my mom wants to go visit her sister, so there's another 10~ hours of driving that I'll be doing.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    herhnycherio:

Yes, the manual transmission Cougars are significantly livelier than the automatics in all speed ranges.

I've driven many stick shift cars over the years, and the Cougar's manual transmission shifts beautifully (smooth and refined). Frankly, I've never read anything to the contrary.

The rear view mirror on the windshield of the car that you test drove may have been adjusted too low. It's a simple matter of nudging it up to the spot that you are comfortable with. Don't forget that there are TWO ball and socket joints on the mirror mount, providing a wide range of adjustment.