Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• lmigliorelmigliore Posts: 148
    I'm still here, and I still have my '99 cat. For some reason, I always keep cars for 10 years or so. My car has gotten better over the years. The dead starter problem seems to have been fixed, and since I've put Michelin Pilots on it the handling is pretty good.

It still amazes me how poorly Mercury promoted the Cougar; I guess they were happy that Jaguar took the chassis and put a different cat on it.

I guess Cougar owners, whoever you are, don't need support any more.
  • harbachjharbachj Posts: 51
    My 99 is coming up on its 4 year birthday and has 51,000 miles on it. It's been relatively trouble free, with only a front bad wheel bearing beyond the usual filters, brakes, etc.
    I expect to keep mine for at least a couple more years, so the depreciation is not a major concern. And if you check the used car ads, you'll see the rebates offered on new cars in recent years have driven down the prices of most used cars. I don't think the Cougar is any worse than most.
    I also don't agree with those who think that if Mercury had advertised more, the car would have sold much better. It sold well in 99, but then didn't keep up with the competition in terms of performance. Mercury had obviously decided that the Cougar was not worth investing development money in and let it die a natural death. Advertising a second tier product would not have helped. They needed to stay competitive and didn't.
    All in all I am happy with my Cougar. It's fun to drive and also very practical. It's surprising how much stuff you can haul with the back seats folded down. And I routinely get 30+ MPG on a trip. Not bad.

Jim H.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    I'm still here, and driving my beautiful '99, even though it has cost me about $900 this year for two problems that should not have happened within the 37K miles that I've driven it.

Today's NY Times "Escapes" section has an article about Pontiac Aztek (UGGGGLYYYYY) owners who have similar complaints. The following is an excerpt:

"Should the calamity come to pass, Aztek owners will at least find themselves in good company. Just in the last few years, carmakers have discontinued several models after embarrassingly short life spans — the Lincoln Blackwood, the Cadillac Catera and the briefly revived Mercury Cougar all come to mind. And at each announcement of a demise, thousands of owners have suddenly found themselves driving cars acknowledged as failures and virtually certain to lose a fair percentage of their resale value.

In 1998, the Ford Motor Company introduced a new version of its Mercury Cougar, which had been a popular and slightly upscale version of the Mustang in its first incarnation in the 60's and 70's and then morphed into a rather bland midsize coupe. The new Cougar was presented as a sleek, sporty front-drive model. In November 1999, John Scullin, a freelance graphic designer from Brockton, Mass., picked up a sapphire-blue 2000 Cougar. "I wanted an older, classic-style car," Mr. Scullin said. "As soon as I saw it, I was sold."

Mr. Scullin's Cougar quickly became his avocation. He spent hours customizing it and chatting online with fellow Cougar owners, many of whom became friends. In 2001, he brought together a six-car caravan that drove 900 miles to attend a CougarFest, an event in Detroit, supported by Ford, in which the car's enthusiasts were invited to tour the plant and hold a cookout.

But the market for a coupe like the Cougar was unhealthy, and the Cougar did not provide a cure. Plans were made to close out the Cougar and it was pulled from the market in 2002. The year the Cougar was discontinued, Mr. Scullin said, Ford stopped supporting the CougarFests for owners of the redesigned, late-model Cougars. "Ford has treated the Cougar as the relative nobody wants around," he said."
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    And, still enjoying my Cougar.

I, too, tend to keep a car for 8-9 years as I don't pile up a lot of mileage. 4 1/2 years, and only 42Kmi on the clock.

Still running OK, but in the body shop today for a front bumper cover, a victim of a frozen snobank in a parking lot. My fault, and it'll cost me $600 out the door. At least I got a free rental for the day ;-)

Thanks for asking after us old-timers KRNCH, and congratulations on the family. My kid is going to be 38 this year, so I don't have to worry about car seats in the back.

Skip G.
  • lmigliorelmigliore Posts: 148
    You really do have to worry. Any 38-year old is going to be in pain if they have to sit in the back of your Cougar.

As far as I can recall, no one has ever been in my back seat.
  • dgeminidgemini Posts: 161
    Hello Krnch,

I am still around and still driving my cougar.

The Altima is a good buy. It is simply one of the best performance values out there...AND it's a family sedan!

The only drawback is that the Cougar will still handle better. However for straight line performance...the Altima's are simply awesome.

Still plan on keeping my Cougar. Especially since my ex wife messed up my credit by running up a cell phone bill and not paying it. I refuse to buy another car and have a high interest rate.

Hopefully the Cougar will last another five years while I try to rebuild my credit...again.

I am praying that this car hangs int there. Plus, it is still such a good looking car it will still be a beauty 10 years down the road.
  • krnchkrnch Posts: 127
    Thanks for the congrats, Skip. The little one has been quite an adventure! He's truly awesome!

I agree with you regarding the Cougar's good looks, Dgemini. I wish I could have hung onto my Cougar. With it's relative rareness and great combination of styling, performance and value, I think a well-kept new edge Cougar could be a sought after collector's item some day, despite its disappointing resale value today. And they're a lot of fun on twisty roads!

SO get out there all you bargain-hunting budding car collectors and snatch up those Cougars while you can! :)
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    It was nice to hear from some of the "old timers".

I, also, drop by this thread once in awhile. I traded in my '99 Cougar a little over a year ago due to my son being born. The Cougar just didn't cut it with a growing family. He was born in the summer of "01 and by the spring of '02 we traded the Cougar for a Tahoe for my Wife. I do occasionally miss the Cougar. I now drive a '02 VW Jetta and am enjoying it.

When was the last time badulah posted on this thread?

Allot has happened since the heyday of the '99 Cougar for me.......new son, lost a job, got another job and am building a new house and plan to move in less than a month.

I hope everyone is doing well!!
    Congrats on the new house and new job!

When I was car shopping back in 99 the Jetta with a VR6 was the car I REALLY wanted. But the Cougar offered close to what a wanted out of the Jetta as far as performance, it looked better, AND it cost significantly less.

For my next car I plan on getting a VW, however I plan to have it parked alongside my Cougar.

Hopefully I will be able to leave Afghanistan and drive my Cougar in the next 30 days or so. They keep changing when we will be able to go home.

God bless all you guys!
    I hope you have a safe trip back to the states.
    Wow, I don't post for about a week and there has been only one post!

I remember when this was one of the most popular boards on Edmunds!

Sigh!

Thanks for the well wishing. I can't wait to be home to. I heard that 75 Spanish troopers lost their lives returning home from Afghanistan.

I guess you can't stop praying until you step foot in your home....
  • maui2k3maui2k3 Posts: 13
    Back in January 1999 I spotted the Cougar in Motor Trend and I knew I wanted one. 9 months later and two months of painful delays, I had one of the first ones in my area of North Carolina. So almost 5 years later and nearly 82k miles, I think I am ready to retire the Cougar.

I have a loaded Laser Red V6 with all the bells and whistles. However, the car has started to show some age. The engine still runs very good, but it does have some noise (squeaks) when going over speed bumps in the rear end (bushings???). Also, my check engine light is on and I think it relates to a new oxygen sensor I need (CD changer is on the blink as well). The seats have held up well with the Leather, but they have never been the most comfortable in the world on long trips (although what car is really comfortable for 10 hours straight).

One major disappointment was in 2001 when I backed into a mail truck. Damage was minimal but in order to sell my car for top dollar, I will need to replace the rear bumper.

The problem I have today if I fix the few things that keep the car from like new condition is what to get next? I like BMW, but I do not like their price. I like the Mazda 6 sort of... The Acura TSX has a great interior but the exterior will put you to sleep. The G35 coupe is sweet, but it still sells for 35k and that is about 5k above my budget.

Anyone have good suggestions for a new car? Trade in is not an option - the Acura dealer wanted to offer me $4000 - what an insult. I know I can sell it for 8-10k based on the going price for this car used.
  • barhenderbarhender Posts: 12
    Well folks, I haven't been in touch for quite some time, but I wanted to let you all know that it's been a pleasure reading and contributing to the CSG.

Yesterday, I sold the Cat to someone who I hope will enjoy it as much as I have.

My new car? I picked up the elusive Accord 6-speed coupe. I hope it's as much fun as the Cat.

seeya~
  • mjr_c2mjr_c2 Posts: 3
    Hello everybody. I have a 2001 blue C2 Coupe which I love, but I drive about 86 miles a day and have developed a major pain in my right leg from driving it. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this? The seat edges meant to hold you in are very hard (I find the whole seat pretty hard), and I think this is causing my discomfort. It has caused me to think of changing cars already even though I've barely had the car 2 years (though it already has 44,000 miles on it). I have had no other problems with the car.
  • I have an 01 C2 Cougar and I haven't noticed any problems with my seats. I've done a 12 hour road trip several times in my car and been prefectly fine afterwards. Do you have the cloth or leather C2 seats? Mine are the cloth seats.
    Thanks for replying. Mine are the leather seats with electronic adjustments which I believe are different. I didn't realize they made some C2's without them.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Posts: 318
    I still check in here every few weeks. I barely ever visit Edmunds.com, though, because my '02 Subaru Forester S has been so reliable. You know the old saying -- never hear anything from anyone until there's something to complain about.

I was glad to get rid of my '99 Cougar V-6 back in 2002. It was nothing but headaches for me. I think I got one that the janitorial staff put together up in Michigan. Like they all got together one night after cleaning toilets and decided, "Hey, guys. Let's see if we can put one together!"

My Subaru has been ultra-reliable, with only one minor initial hiccup and a single recall after 1.5 years and 24K miles. With my Mercury in the shop so much for window leaks, I only made it to about 10K in the first year. I barely hit 36K in three years of ownership, and I love road trips. :-\

Anyhow -- hope everyone is OK. Sounds like folks are all moving on. Keep posting every so often here. Kind of neat to see who's buying/driving what.

Did anyone ever find out what happened to badulah?

burnsmr4
  • The seats are identical other than mine are cloth covered. Same design and everything. Full power controls and everything. I even have the side airbags. I just didn't want black leather seats with the hot and humid summers we have, so I opted for the cloth. I actually am glad now I did. They liven up the interior since the entire center section is french blue. Only the bolstering, headrest, and backs of the seats are black.
    Actually, the leather hasn't bothered me. It holds up very nicely, and doesn't get as hot as other interiors I've seen. I also put a sunshield on to help. I am looking at Subarus (Impreza, WRX) which are cool but have a few missing features for me (fold down seats in the sedan and moonroof in the wagon). I am also looking at the Mazda 6 for more comfort. The Nissan Altima looks great, but there are a million on the road.
    I also wonder what happened to badulah......I hope he is ok.