Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano Power Seat Problem

Comments

• As you all know, we have been having issues with the driver's side power seat breaking under normal use. Some of us have paid almost $1,000.00, in getting this fix. I feel that as consumer we should not have to pay for a design flaw! Many have complained to the (BBB) The Better Business Burial, and to the National High and Safty Administration but these two agencies have denied our safty concerns, on the Nissan Murano. I urge you to file small claim suit in your local court house. Against Nissan North America Inc.
  • Nissan 'No Customer Service' doesn't care. They will only care when the word gets out that their well designed cars don't hold up and they don't stand behind them...

Do what I did - trade the beast in for a Lexus
  • What do I accomplish by filing a claim against Nissan North America in the local small claims court? My last experience with SCC took two years, several hours of my time as well as a day of the hearing. I would think that Nissan would simply delay the hearing as long as possible. They may be willing to pay me the $650 rather than sending a representative to the hearing. It is more tempting just to forget about it and ever buying another Nissan.
    It was funny when I drove up at the local dealership in the Murano to look at the ALTIMA and the salesman immediately started telling me about the CVT on the Altima.
  • Thanks a bunch for these instructions. my seat is out and i am of to a friends house in the morning to weld it.
  • I just bought my Murano 2 weeks ago. It has 38k miles, so is out of warranty. I'm very disappointed with the driver's seat problem like a lot of people is having here. My seat is not sliding forward anymore. At least not on the right side!
    Its also making a strange noise and is somehow twisting to the right, because only the left part is sliding now. All other power seat features are working fine.
    Took it to the dealer and they asked $1200 to fix it ... the dealer diagnosed it with the following sentence:
    Sliding motors are both not working and the power seat frame needs to be replaced.
    I'm calling Nissan tomorrow to see if they are willing to cover this issue, since it looks like a design flaw. I also submitted the problem to NHTSA.

I just want to be sure in case Nissan will not pay to fix this problem, that the part available here, is the one which is destroyed:
    http://www.odometergears.com/infiniti.html

I am wiling to buy it and do the repair myself, so I would greatly appreciate if the ones with the same problem have been able to fix it with the Power Seat Gear mentioned above.
  • I replace mine with the gear purchased from the site you show, in my case it works for about 80 % of the travel backwards and 100% forward .when I reached a certain point going back it wants to turn I back off because I dont want to strip the new gear.
    this is whats wrong with yours the gear is strip at a point .Now why is still turning at that point I'm not sure I can guess it maybe the rail has a cracked that cause it to stop ? because I have not had an problem with a broken seat as others had. I posted this issue on this site and have receive no replies yet .
    PS. I have a 03 Mo with 114000 miles on it and over all I have been pleased with it other than this issue which just happen 2/3 months ago I had no problems with it.
  • Which gear did you used, the one with Neck and Collar or the one without them?
  • the one with the neck ">
  • Hi steelflatroll ... I started to investigate myself, because Nissan refused to fix the problem for free, even if I was out of warranty with 2000 miles only.
    I discovered that the gear is damaged so I need to order it and change it, but I wanted to ask how did you took out the nut that is in front of the gear?

BTW ... I was wandering why the hell are they using a plastic gear there and not a metal one?
  • I use a deep well socket then check out my instructions #84 in this forum to remove and replace
  • I followed the instructions from here:
    http://www.odometergears.com/subpages/Infiniti_Nissan_Seat_Gear_How_To.html

I have managed to take out the gear, but it seems that those 2 pins from the magnetic collar are broken ... the ones between the collar and the gear. So I have ordered the gear with the neck and collar ... but now I got a problem with the collar itself ... if I'm using the new one (which is not magnetic) they are saying on their website that the automatic preset seat feature will not work anymore. What does that mean? That I can't memorize those 2 positions of the seat for both me and my wife?
    On the other hand ... can I use the old magnetic collar without those 2 small pins that are connecting it with the gear?
  • I have an 03 MO and I didnt have any pins that they are talking about ?? at least I didnt see any ? I think they are talking about the auto seat slide when you get in and out , ( where the seat moves back when getting out but I'm not sure ) ..since I'm the only one who drives my Mo I havent even check out the preset buttons which I'll have to do to see what happens
  • Apologies if this has been posted before. My wife's Murano exhibited the broken (leaning) drivers seat last night, so I'm new to this discussion.

NHTSA Action Number: N/A NHTSA Recall Campaign Number:
    PE08065 N/A
    Make: NISSAN Model: MURANO
    Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Year : 2005
    Component :
    SEATS

Date Investigation Opened : November 18, 2008
    Date Investigation Closed : July 2, 2009
    Summary:
    THIS INVESTIGATION CONCERNS STRUCTURAL FAILURE OF THE ANCHOR/BRACKET ON THE LEFT REAR SIDE OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT. THE CONCERN IS THAT SUCH FAILURES MAY ALTER THE DRIVER'S SEATED POSITION SO AS TO REDUCE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE OCCUPANT PROTECTION SYSTEM OR POTENTIALLY COMPROMISE VEHICLE CONTROL. FAILURE OF THE SUBJECT ANCHOR BRACKET RESULTS FROM METAL FATIGUE AND CAUSES REARWARD TILTING OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT. THESE FAILURES USUALLY OCCUR DURING DRIVER INGRESS BUT MAY ALSO OCCUR WHILE THE VEHICLE IS BEING OPERATED. THE SAFETY RELATED CONCERNS DURING ACTUAL VEHICLE USE WERE NOT VALIDATED BY THIS INVESTIGATION. WHILE THE NUMBER OF COMPLAINTS OF THIS PROBLEM IS RELATIVELY HIGH, ONLY THREE VERY MINOR, UNDOCUMENTED INJURIES WERE REPORTED. THE REPORTED INJURIES OCCURRED DURING DRIVER INGRESS, NOT WHILE THE VEHICLE WAS IN MOTION. INVESTIGATION DISCLOSED THAT THE APPARENT RISK OF COMPROMISE TO VEHICLE CONTROL HAS NOT BEEN DEMONSTRATED. INVESTIGATION ALSO DISCLOSED THAT THE APPARENT RISK OF COLLAPSE OF THE DRIVER'S SEAT BACK HAS NOT BEEN DEMONSTRATED A SAFETY RELATED DEFECT TREND WAS NOT IDENTIFIED AND THIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN CLOSED.
  • So are they going to force Nissan to do a recall about it or not?
  • daveshawdaveshaw Posts: 1
    Thanks a lot ! fixed it with a friend in 2.5 hours !!
  • norman31norman31 Posts: 1
    I have a broken seat . Can you tell me how to fix it?
  • FlashMagnuMFlashMagnuM Posts: 9
    edited May 2010
    How about giving us a brief description of your problem? Or starting with the first page, just read what's written in this thread and find out if your seat has the same issues.
  • At 16,000 miles my driver’s power seat was replaced because of the following. Left side stops & right side keeps on moving. Seat bottom cross frame was problem and upon tear down found cross frame had been separated at weld causing excessive flex in rear of seat. So bad driving it was a rocking chair. The entire seat frame w/motor assembly was replaced to correct defect. Well here is the rest of the story! At about 54,000 miles (still under warranty) I stated that the foam was shredding under my seat and this was the start all over again of the seat problem. They said nothing was wrong. At 61,200 miles I stated that the seat was becoming loose and more foam was continually shredding under the seat. The Nissan tech agreed and said there was a problem. Now Nissan wants me to split the $1600 repair with the dealer. Also Nissan said they called me about my problem and asked me to call back which they said I did not so they closed the file in May. I called back again and made them open a new file stating all over again the concerns with safety and my maintenance history. This was on the 16th of June and I was assured someone was calling me back within 24-48 hours. On the 29th I called and said what’s up. Well another call to me said that my phone was no longer working on the 24th. (8 days not 24-48 hours) The person they stated called me had been assigned to another area in May so how could he have called me I asked calmly? Now I am still waiting for another mystery phone call and can only guess what's next. I feel this should be a "Good Will" repair in light of all the issues and paper trail they have. If not I can assure them this will be my last Nissan purchase. Is there an automotive safety dept. in the government who I can talk to if this is not corrected. I understand this is not the first seat issue.
  • chill0520chill0520 Posts: 1
    WOW. I just have to say THANK YOU to themadhatter for posting the instructions on how to take the seat apart to get to the seat base. My 2005 Murano drivers seat suddenly went "pop" last week, and the DSR came loose. I took it to a dealer here, and they said it would be a $900 fix. At the rear of the seat the weld had broken (the same as themadhatters). We decided to get a new base from Nissan (as one of the lift motors was having sporadic issues as well), but install it ourselves. It took my father and I about three hours start to finish, with no major issues, thanks to the instructions posted here!!

On the base issue, we notice that they have changed the design significantly. The welds on the old model were two half inch or so welds with a space in between. The new one is a sold piece, about three inchs long, welded all the way along. A couple of other portions of the base were beefed up too. Given that they obviously know there was a design flaw (cause they redesigned it!!) it seems like a giant rip off not to have this covered under a recall.
  • tddrapetddrape Posts: 1
    Chill0520 or ???

Do you still have the old broken seat base? My base has also broken but not in the same place as is typical. The bearings on the outboard seat track are bad. I would be interested in purchasing the broken base.
    Thanks