Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Uplander Steering & Suspension Issues

Comments

• Hi "genmtrfan" Have the same problem in Uplander 06, hard knocking noise in the rear right side over bumps, we already tried everything and no success... NOW, I am Mexican, live in Guadalajara and i would like to know with more details what did you exactly do to fix the problem, because here i ran out of resources... nobody knows what else to do... Van has 20k, PLEASE HELP. Will be very appreciated...kind regards
  • balbvarbalbvar Posts: 1
    OMG i have an 06 uplander it sounds like its 20yrs old.. Making an appt. at the shop this week ill let ya know. what they say

ive had alot of electrical problems like
    radio controls on steering whell doing other functions grrrrr
    door coming driver side rear door comeing unlatched
    my headlights go dim ALL THE TIME annoying as heck
  • emmydog1emmydog1 Posts: 2
    i also have an 06 uplander that had a knocking noise from the rear. the problem i had was the parking brake cable that runs across the rear axle is not strapped to the axle. gm had put on a foam rap around the cable linkage to prevent noise the foam was like a pipe insulator that is used on pipes in a home.the seem hgad opened up allowing the link to bang against the axle.i rerapped the link and have not had another problem with it.
  • emmydog1emmydog1 Posts: 2
    i have a grinding/groaning noise that comes from the front left wheel when making a right turn.my first step was to change the bearing hub,but problem is still there.it seems to appear after the van has been driven a while and has allowed the front end to heat up.any ideas?
  • lal3lal3 Posts: 1
    I to have experienced the noise in the front end (right in the steering column area). I have taken it back to the dealership at least 10 times with the same response they did not hear it. I finally met up with a Service Mechanic and took him to the places it always does it (especially cold) and little bumps and he heard it. So far they have replaced stab. bar links, steering shaft, steering rack, tie rods and the noise is still there. I hope GM fixes this soon because it can be extremely loud at times.

My 2006 Uplander also had the issues with the power doors. First it was just the right side opening and closing, opening and closing, now the left side is doing it with no fix from the dealer.

The brakes are serious issues with pulsating. They upgrated the backing plate up front to keep dirt out. Let hope this solves this issue.
  • When driving straight I get a roaring noise from front left. It sounds as its running dry ( grinding ). The noise goes away when turning left but comes back when driving straight.
    Hear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLT1iYaFWgA
    It has about 115K km's on it. I bought it used.
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    Sounds like a bad wheel bearing to me. Its likely on the left side since the sound goes away when you turn left.

About $ 400.00 at the dealer- likely less by a private shop.
  • uplander1uplander1 Posts: 3
    Yes, the front left bearing was gone. Paid $300 at private shop to replace it. There was a wobble in front left tire that caused it. The front left tire was also worn out at the inside edge. Replaced front tires (with General Evertrek $125/tire) at Canadian Tire, also did wheel alignment ($80) there. I couldn't find good quality used tires for it at local shops.
    I've always been afraid of used tires so it sounds like you did well. How many miles do you have? I'm surprised that you needed a wheel alignment already.

I'm new to the Uplander, just bought a 2008, just trying to gather as much info as I can. We had a Chevy Venture for the last 5 years - it was a great van. I really didn't do hardly anything to it other than the usual (brakes, tires, etc) I'm hoping the Uplander treats us as well.
  • uplander1uplander1 Posts: 3
    I bought mine used and found out about the wobble in wheel. Because the wobble damaged the bearing so I suspected that it might have affected wheel alignment too. Hence I asked Canadian Tire to do wheel alignment.
    It has about 115000kms on it.
    It was probably a good idea - now you don't have to worry about it.
  • stan60stan60 Posts: 5
    I am also having problems with my 2006 Uplander with 48000 KM on the unit. The front end has this crunching sound when going over small bumps and I also notice the steering feels weird at times. So with it still under warranty I took it into my dealer to get to the root of the problem. Well the next weekend I had to make a four hour trip and on the way back I noticed the sound is still there. I just got off the phone from the dealer who is worried about getting a good mark when GM sends me a questionaire about the service. Well if GM is still around next week it is going back into the shop again thus waisting another day of my time by not fixing the problem when they had the van for two days. I am really looking forward to the lease ending on this van so I can ;) again.
  • its the strut to sway bar link doing it
  • saleem59saleem59 Posts: 2
    Thanks God, I got rid of that Uplander, Now I promise I will never think of Uplander again.Oh my God
  • Has anyone done work on their transfer case &/or rear diff? My TC is so loud & when up on blocks with the wheels off I can make it clunk around inside the case by rotating the rotors/axles back & forth. I changed the fluid, it was opaque & metalic, looked like liquid pewter & only filled the bottom inch of a 4litre ice cream pail. How screw'd am I with this? I also get a nauseating groan from the rear, which so far, I'm assuming is the diff. I'm at 115k kms, only 14k kms put on in the last year.
  • bigigbigig Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Uplander. I really like the car. However, when I drive over bumps I get a metal on metal rattle?? It is in the Front end. I've had the stabilizer bar link looked at -- nothing wrong. Someone told me it was the antenna cable rattling. I'm at a loss. Someone out there must know what's going on. I have no steering or transaxle problems at all. What could this be???????????
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,109
    Hello bibig,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information on your concern on your vehicle, so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • my3boys06my3boys06 Posts: 1
    Had the car for about 6 months. Everytime I go over small bumps the car makes the worst rattling/knocking noise that you can hear on the inside as well as the outside. The noise is driving me crazy. i have taken the car to 3 seperate mechanic shops, and they cant figure out the noise. They say the car is fine, and maybe thats how the car is made. Any ideas before i have to wear ear plugs?
    Hello My3boys06,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me more information on the concern on your vehicle so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • Let me know if gm will recall the uplander, I'am having clunking noise, sound if something is loose, in the front end. I had the stabilzer struts replaced, and yes the clunking sound is still there. Now the mechanic wants to change something else,. seem its a guessing game at my exspence.
    wzwoman,
    If you are unhappy with your dealer, I would recommend getting a second opinion from a different dealer. If you would like to e-mail me your VIN I can look into recall information for your vehicle. Please keep my updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • artabroadartabroad Posts: 1
    i have an uplander 2006, it has too many suspension noise. i changed the stabilizer bushing, strut linkage. Noise still there, i put foam on top of the plastic fuel tank, noise still there, changed shock absorber and right rear hub assembly. noise still there. it seems that noise is coming from under the back of the driver seat. There is only 1 bushing there, but the outside appearance seems good. I need help.
    artabroad,
    If you haven't spoke with your dealer I would recommend doing so, even if it is just to have the vehicle diagnosed. Please keep me updated on your progress. Feel free to email me directly. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • justanrnjustanrn Posts: 2
    I have a 2006, Chevy Uplander, I purchased new June 2007. It has 42,200 miles on it.
    It is making to many noises, first they said it was spay bars- fixed, then shocks-fixed. Now its steering shaft,stabilizer link,lower control arm bushings split. Are you serious!!!! If this car has a history of these problems they she be fixed under the powertrain warrantly. I'm putting more into this car than what it's worth.

Not to mention getting it loaded. Loaded woth a piece of crap. Phat Noise system that can not be serviced because they went out of business.

Right door keeps opening and is offline.

Corrosion/rust on each door. Told this is not covered because its normal wear and tear. WHAT! I am so disappointed.
    If it helps...here's a link to Phatnoise - they're owned by Harmon now...

link title
  • You may not know this but some Uplander that developed this problem, there is a recall on 979, 2006 Uplanders concerning the steering knuckle breaking in the hub area. I have a 2006 Uplander with 66,000+ miles and had it checked at my local Chevy dealer. Mine was fine, but yours might be one of the 979 with the problem and needs to be recalled. Any local Chevy dealer will make this right for free.
  • I'm having the same problems with the noise in the front when going over bumps. Does anyone have any answers???? Mechanics don't!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :lemon:
  • I have a 2006 Uplander and they replaced a linkage inthe column area ($480) and recently replaced the steering guide ($860). Guess what? Noise is still there and its very obvious.
    VIN: 1GNDX33L76D159644
    Can you check for recalls / issues with this vehicle?
    Thanks. :)
  • Did you ever get your noise issue resolved? I have a '06 Uplander which is making the groaning noise on the right front when making left turns after being driven for a while.
  • ramzoniramzoni Posts: 5
    Just bought a used '06 Uplander with only 77k miles. Major steering knocks and clunks when driving. At first (when test driving), only felt like an occasional knuckle-rub feeling when turning left. Now on every turn and even going over normal bumps, you feel the knocking coming up through the steering wheel. Any ideas? After reading others' issues, makes me wonder if I need to just go trade it off before putting any more money into it.