Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• GCFGCF Posts: 9
    My neighbor just got a loaded '09 Corolla XLE Auto w/ ESC and Alloys for $16.8K + T&L. A comparably equipped Elantra SE is the same if not a bit more money. With the Corolla he got a safer, higher resale and arguably more reliable car. Given this, I can't think of one justification to buy the Elantra over the Corolla.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,737
    A loaded Corolla XLE lists for over $24k with an invoice over $21k; an XLE equipped as closely as possible to the Elantra SE (XM, alloys, ESC, cruise, all weather guard package) lists for nearly $20k and has an invoice of nearly $18k. So either way, your neighbor got a really good deal on the XLE, although there is a $1000 rebate on the Corolla right now and only $500 on the 2009 Elantra SE. I expect the rebates on the Elantra to increase once the 2008s are gone, especially with competitors like Toyota offering such aggressive discounts and rebates.

One justification to buy an Elantra over a Corolla is if the buyer simply likes the Elantra more than the Corolla. That is not far fetched. I happen to prefer the Elantra over the Corolla, except for side impact crash safety of course. CR rated the Elantra over the Corolla also--although I expect they will take away the Elantra's
    "Top Pick" designation now that the IIHS side impact crash test has been published.
  • hutch7hutch7 Posts: 88
    After thinking it over I have decided to dump my '08 Elantra and go back to Toyota. I've read all the responses to my last post on the poor side impact data collected by iihs. Either the Hyundai engineers didn't pass their classes in structural engineering or Hyundai Corp. just felt like defrauding it's customer base. Either way I am done with this name plate! :mad:
    You have to do what's right for you. But to say that the Elantra getting a "marginal" score on the IIHS side impact test is "fraud" is off base, IMO. Hyundai never claimed the car would get a specific IIHS side crash test score. While the score is disappointing to you and me and others, it's not fraud. Also, if Hyundai's engineers didn't pass their classes, then it appears that the engineers from GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Volkswagen, Suzuki, and Toyota (!) didn't pass their classes either. Their cars also got a Marginal or even Poor score in the IIHS tests on small cars, as did Hyundai on the Elantra (and Kia on the Spectra). Hyundai isn't the only car company that needs to work on bettering its crash protection on small cars.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Do you still have the 200 Taurus you bought 2 years ago?

Does it stack up better in side impact tests, by today's measures, than your '08 Elantra?
  • hutch7hutch7 Posts: 88
    Nope...traded the Taurus for a nice safe Elantra! Yes....I feel the fool! Good luck guy's, I'll be over in the Corolla forum...
    I'm not sure I'd label this a fraud, but it sure doesn't help Hyundai escape the notion that their cars are rolling tin cans.

And while other makes have their problems spots, Hyundai has yet to ever produce a car (not truck or minivan) that received a "Good" side impact score. Pretty sad.
    Given the high importance you place on IIHS crash test scores, it's a shame the IIHS couldn't get the side impact test result on the Elantra published earlier, so you could have had that info for your buying decision. Actually, I am surprised you didn't go for a small car with known, good IIHS crash test scores e.g. Civic or Versa, rather than the Elantra. Good luck on your Corolla--hope it is everything you are looking for.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Hyundai has yet to produce a tested car (not CUV or minivan) that received a "Good" side impact score.

Fixed. Hyundai Genesis, for example, has not been tested by the IIHS. It has received 5 stars across the board on the government NHTSA test, including rollover rating, a rare thing on the passenger car line.

Just noticed 5 stars across the board occur less than IIHS top picks ;)
    I'd hope a $40K+ car receives top safety scores since there are so many that already do. 5 star NHTSA scores don't always (and often do not) equate to IIHS top picks. We'll have to wait and see.
    I'd hope a $40K+ car receives top safety scores since there are so many that already do.

Then you would be surprised, and the list is long (in Genesis's pricing range 33-42K, or more): BMW 3er, 5er, Z4, Cadillac CTS, DTS, STS, Chevy Corvette, Chrysler 300, Infiniti G35/G37, Jag X-Type, S-Type, Lexus IS, ES, Lincoln MKS, MKZ, MB C-Class, E-Class, Nissan 350Z, Saab 9-3, 9-5, Toyota Avalon, VW Passat, Volvo S40, S60...

And many others not listed, or not tested (almost all $60K+ models).

I digress...
    I'm confused. Many of the cars you listed are IIHS top safety picks.
    Then I'd suggest you re-read what was posted.

You started with the line every Hyundai passenger car line produced have not received a "good" score in the IIHS side impact crash test. (By the way, this isn't a Hyundai criticize/bashing thread, this is a thread about the 2009 Hyundai Elantra and Elantra Touring.)

Anyway, I corrected you, as not every single passenger car model has been tested. I then pointed out the Hyundai Genesis, for example, aced the governmnet mandated NHTSA test, with 5/5/5/5/5 ratings.

You came back and said a car costs this much (not really that much relatively speaking) should have aced the test.

So I then listed out a partial but a long list of models (cars only) haven't aced the gov't crash standards (NHTSA), those models with similar pricing range, or more.

Interestingly enough, models having achieved 25 stars on the NHTSA government test, especially passenger cars, are a lot less the number of IIHS top picks.

This was never intended to be a comparison of the test standards especially since this isn't the place for something like that, so let's get back to the Elantra.
  • Agreed. Perhaps a new thread topic "safety comparisons" is in order?
  • joshuagjoshuag Posts: 92
    I agree with you on that. I prefer the way the Hyundai looks over the Corolla. True, the Corolla has always been a very dependable car and a pretty good buy, but they have always been a few thousand dollars more than the Elantra. And when you think about it,even more than that considering the Hyundai comes with a 10 year 100k warrantee, which is a couple thousand right there. The value in the Hyundai also is the deal that you make when you go to the dealer. Usually you get a rebate, and the dealer will offer you a discount. My cousin is looking to buy a Santa Fe Limited and the sticker is 31,500, after the discounts and rebates it was down to 23,500. So just the same with the Elantra, if you wheel and deal you can get a heck of a deal.
  • Any chance the touring will have all wheel drive?
    Unlikely. The Touring has already been formally announced, and no mention was made of AWD. Also, the car is based on the Elantra, which doesn't offer AWD in any other variant. Nothing is impossible, but IMO don't look for AWD on the Touring anytime in the near future. If AWD is what you are looking for, consider cars like the Impreza wagon, SX4, and Matrix/Vibe. Or maybe a small SUV like the Tucson/Sportage, CR-V, or Rogue.
  • From what I have seen and read the Touring is not based on the Elantra, it's based on the European model sport wagon (forgot the name they use). It does share the name but not a lot else, the cars don’t even look that similar.

I got the call last week that the Touring was delayed until summer, then a few days later, got another call that one had just arrived at the local So. Cal. Dealer, so I went to see it and take if for a test drive this weekend.

It was a loaded model with all the options, and was very sporty looking. It drove as expected, with a little bit stiffer suspension than the sedan, but better driver response and road feel. The acceleration was good though not a neck snapper, but the cool sounding, throaty exhaust, almost made up for it.

Comfy seats, with lumbar on driver’s side. Dash and interior was nice and quiet.

I wonder if the side crash safety test has been done on this car, separate from the Elantra sedan. I would be very curious to see if they were rated the same.

The shipments have started and will start trickling into dealers on the west coast over the next few months according to the lot manager.
    I was tempted to buy it and have the first Touring to be seen on the roads (around here) but the color was a slick metallic charcoal grey, almost black, nice, but that’s not going to work for me on a hot summer day in So. Cal. so no sale.

Sticker price was $20,900 with the $1,500 sport option package included. I have no idea what a negotiated price, with the discounts and incentives would be, didn’t get that far.
    I would be surprised if Hyundai developed a separate platform for the wagon, apart from the Elantra sedan, but I suppose it's possible. The two cars do share some components, including engine (2.0L Beta II) and a lot of the interior trim including dash/console. But the exterior is different of course, and the 4AT has the Shiftronic feature (at least I have read that) that the Elantra sedan doesn't have.
    Hyundai USA says it is arriving this month, along with the Genesis Coupe.
  • siliqsiliq Posts: 1
    Hi

For a single, 25, male. Should he choose a 2009 Elantra GLS with PEP or a 2009 SE?
    If it were me and I had to choose between the Elantra GLS with PEP or SE, no other choices in the mix, and I had the extra money I'd opt for the SE because of the sharp-looking alloys (also lower profile tires help handling a bit), the stability control (great safety feature), the telescopic wheel (helps finding a comfy driving position), the leather wheel (feels nicer than plastic), and the trip computer with mpg readout. If you really want to go all out, you can get the leather with bun warmers. Then it doesn't feel as much like you are driving an econobox. :)

Also for 2009 the SE was supposed to get sport-tuned suspension and steering as a "late availability" feature. Might want to check to see if the SEs at your dealers have that.
    Base price for the 5-speed including destination is $18,495 as reported earlier. AT adds $800 (actually less than the usual Hyundai markup of $1000 for AT), and a package with 17" alloys, heated seats, and moonroof is $1500. So an AT car with a moonroof would list at $20,795. That's without leather, which doesn't seem to be an option. Wow. Kinda pricey for an Elantra, and up there with the likes of the Mazda3, Impreza, and Rabbit. Can anyone say, "rebates"?

Also, I noticed that the AT doesn't have Shiftronic, at least according to the photos at Edmunds.com--contrary to earlier reports. I guess that should have been expected, since the Elantra sedan doesn't have Shiftronic and the ATs are probably the same.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    The pricing is a big mistake. Touring (wagon) version is worth $500 to $800 more than comparable trims of the sedan, and that is how Hyundai should have priced it.
    Hyundai better keep the import volume on the Touring to a bare minimum or these will sit on the lots for a long time.
    Hyundai must be listening to you. How many Tourings have you seen at your local dealers? ;)

But if I can get a car like the Impreza wagon or Rabbit 5-door or Mazda3 hatch for about the same price as an Elantra Touring, that would be in the "no brainer" category against the Touring, especially if the Touring shares the sedan's crash test scores.
    Finally got my first look at the production Touring today (I saw an early model at the 2008 Twin Cities auto show). It was silver, and from what I could tell fully loaded with a sticker a few bucks shy of $21k. I thought it was sharp looking, not in an in-your-face way but just pleasing proportions and a look that reeked quality. The optional 17" alloys helped there, although I'm not sure I'd want those low-profile Kumhos for the frost-heaved roads I drive on.

The interior was very tasteful, with a black cloth unique to the Touring that has cross-weave inserts. I was wondering what the back of my legs would look like after sitting in it with shorts for awhile. :P The dash is mostly like that of the Elantra sedan, but with different radio and HVAC controls. The shifter is different also, but still the 4-speed gated design. There was good room in the back even with the seats up. Roller shade was included. I noticed that there's a cooled center console--nice touch for this class.

So a nice-looking vehicle, but sticker-shock lingers. It's about $4500 more MSRP than my loaded 2004 GT was ($13.2k actual + T&L), and that has leather but not ESC, 6 airbags, 17" alloys, USB port, and a few other features that the Touring does. So it will take me awhile to get used to a $21k Elantra.
    Nice write-up, Backy. It remains to be seen what type of a role the pricing plays, as Hyundai has decided to keep things simple and roll out the Touring without having the cost leader trim, and every other trim in between; it has gone straight to the loaded version.

Side note, car prices continue to inflate regardless of the times. You've got your 21K Elantra, or your 26K Mazda3.
    Yes, there's been price inflation, but in this terrible car market there's some really nice new cars available for $15-16k, and slightly used ones for $10k and up. I think it might be harder for Hyundai to get people to go for an over-$20k Elantra than to ante up over $30k for a Genesis. Especially with the over-$20k Elantra sitting next to a very nice Sonata GLS at around $15k, or a Tucson or Santa Fe well under $20k, after rebates and discounts.
  • Touring now available in Chicago, but I must say sticker shock here as well. I was going to trade in my Civic for this, but not at $21k!

From Patrick Hyundai...

2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring SPORTWAGON
    * BRAND NEW MODEL*
    Stock Number: H7313
    YOUR PRICE is $20,995- Auto Show Special!
    PREMIUM SPORT PKG, MATS, BLUETOOTH
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Hyundai must be listening to you. How many Tourings have you seen at your local dealers? ;)

Six.

They sold two. Which is not too bad, since sales are terrible in general.
This discussion has been closed.