Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    August 2007. If I remember correctly that is when the "news" of the Elantra Touring for North America started to break and it is now October 2008 and Hyundai has yet to make the car available.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    The Scion xB offers more style than the Touring... LOL, that's a good one! The Scion offers more style if you like driving around in a box. :D

Not sure why the driver was surprised that the price of the Touring was nearly $18k. The price of a comparable 2008 Elantra SE, with a moonroof as on the Touring tester, is $18k today. And it looks like the tester might have the optional 17" alloys. So I am actually surprised that the price is under $18k. And if you compare prices of comparably-equipped Scion XBs, Vibes, and Impreza wagons, i.e. with moonroof, alloys, leather wheel, fog lamps, etc., I'll bet they will be over $18k. I know a base Impreza wagon with steel wheels is at least $18k if not more, and there's no moonroof on that car (but there is AWD).
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I don't mind driving around in a box. The current xB is not even a box. First gen xB was a nice design. Very functional.

I'm not a fan of the Vibe/Matrix. There used to be Corolla Wagon, Focus Wagon, Cavalier Wagon (not missed by anyone), and other fuel efficient, space efficient cars available.

It will be good to have Hyundai back in this category.
    "Very functional" is a, er, kind way to describe the looks of the previous-gen xB. ;)

There's still lots of fuel-efficient, space-efficient cars available. But most are known as "hatchbacks" now vs. wagons--even if they really look like a wagon, as does the new Touring. So for example, we have the Matrix instead of a Corolla wagon version. Not much difference except the Matrix has different styling than the Corolla sedan--but mechanically they are both Corollas, and I think Toyota even counts Matrix sales in their Corolla sales.

The new Touring looks really good, but I still like the "fastback" lines of my '04 Elantra hatch. Practically speaking, i.e. with safety in mind, it holds as much cargo as the boxier hatches/wagons and looks sportier (to me anyway).
  • I wonder if Hyundai geared the Elantra Touring lower than the regular Elantra to give it more power off the line, since it gets lower MPG.
  • Awesome link. Thanks joe.
  • Just come home from the auto show here in Sacramento Ca. and they had an Elantra Touring on the floor. Looked very nice and roomy. Ground clearance is 1" less than the sedan,the inst. panel is different. The rear seat has "theatre" seating, it is possible because the body is taller than the sedan. The upholstery is diff. from the sedan. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them.
    Niels
    What was the sticker price? Did it have an AT and if so was it a Shiftronic?
  • It was a stick shift, and I did not look at the price. Sorry.
  • What was the driver's seat like? Lumba support?
  • The upholstery was beige and was quite diff. from the sedan's. Much rougher so you will not slide so much. Very comfortable drivers seat. I did not notice the lumbar support.
  • Did they give you any kind of release date?
  • They did say that the 2009 Elantra should start to trickle in to dealers very soon. They must have said something about the Touring too, because I remember saying that if it came out in early 2009 they could call it a 2010 model.
    I saw a 2009 Elantra GLS at my local dealer (Twin Cities, MN) earlier this week. So the sedans are here at least. It looked just like the 2008 model, except for the window sticker. :(
  • Hey Backy- Did your local dealer say anything about the 09 elantra sedan se's? I wonder how late it will be for the new features and suspension and what not. I am aware of the sales event for the holidays and my Allen Samuels Hyundai DF/W here are advertising available 2008 se models for the last few weeks.
    No, I was in for an oil change on my '04 Elantra and didn't stop to ask about SEs, just saw the '09 GLS on the showfloor. Last time I asked a sales rep about SEs, several weeks ago, he said all they had in the pipeline were GLSes. If you can grab a '08 SE at a good price, you might want to jump on it. The '09s have a price hike and will likely not have the discounts and rebates of the '08s for awhile, plus we don't know when they will be available in any volume.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    The 09 Elantra gets a new USB/Aux jack. iPod requires the hyundai iPod cable. Part number for that is 08620-2L000. It costs around $30 and it fully integrates the iPod.
    Have you seen any '09s with the USB/iPod jack yet? Hyundai said that feature along with others would be "delayed availability" for 2009, i.e.:

· Hyundai’s USB/iPod auxiliary inputs (Delayed availability)
    · New audio system with larger display and improved XM Satellite Radio™ reception (Delayed availability)
    · Improved instrument cluster design (Delayed availability)
    · Enhanced suspensions (Delayed availability)

The 2009 GLS I saw recently looked exactly the same as the 2008, except the sticker. So no "improved instrument cluster design" for example. So I wonder when these features will be at cars at dealers?