Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Transmission Questions

Comments

• phisherphisher Posts: 175
    If you don't have auto zone around you, Pep boys, O'reiley ect will all have one that you can use for free.
  • normaljoe1normaljoe1 Posts: 3
    I live in Ontario, Canada and there are no Autozone around here.....So does anyone know where can I go to get code scanner in Ontario?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 548
    Try PartSource or Canadian Tire.
  • martalauramartalaura Posts: 1
    2000 CR-v Initially it started intermittently. I would put in my car keys and realize that there was no electricity running through my car. The electric locks would not work, either with the key control or door switch, the ignition switch would not turn on, no lights, nothing. Then within minutes I would try again and everything was back on working perfectly. However, this last time it hasn't turned back on. I had taken it to the dealer and they could not figure out what the problem was. :cry:
  • wilddog1wilddog1 Posts: 5
    I have a 97 CRV with 130K miles.I have owned it for near a year.It has a shake when starting from a stop-more noticeable when you hard accelerate.Also noticeable when you accelerate making a right turn from a stop.Not on a left turn.Shake shows up past the first gear.I have replaced or added new tires,front wheel bearings,two CV axles(new NAPA),4 motor mounts,front differential has been rebuilt,changed rear diff. fluid once.Had alot of mecanics look at this including Honda.Can you help me please??
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    I have a 97 CRV with 130K miles.I have owned it for near a year.It has a shake when starting from a stop-more noticeable when you hard accelerate.Also noticeable when you accelerate making a right turn from a stop.Not on a left turn.Shake shows up past the first gear.I have replaced or added new tires,front wheel bearings,two CV axles(new NAPA),4 motor mounts,front differential has been rebuilt,changed rear diff. fluid once.Had alot of mecanics look at this including Honda.Can you help me please??

Try draining the rear differential fluid and replacing it 3 times with driving in tight circles for 5 minutes to work the fluid in.

Make sure you use Honda DPF or DPFII only!!!!!
    2000 CR-v Initially it started intermittently. I would put in my car keys and realize that there was no electricity running through my car. The electric locks would not work, either with the key control or door switch, the ignition switch would not turn on, no lights, nothing. Then within minutes I would try again and everything was back on working perfectly. However, this last time it hasn't turned back on. I had taken it to the dealer and they could not figure out what the problem was.

Wasn't there an ignition switch recall? Check if it was preformed, by registering with Honda Owner's link foud on www.honda.com. You will need to have you VIN handy.
  • lynn97lynn97 Posts: 2
    The transmission in my 99 CRV with 140K+ seems to be in need of a rebuild. We can drive it by starting off from stop on 1st gear, then manually shift to 2nd or drive at that point, but it will not down shift . Also does slip out of gear completely if you leave in 1st gear too long. Fluid has been replaced and has signs of transmission damage (metal flakes and gunk). Someone told us that rebuilds are not a good idea on the CRVs and we would need a manufacturer's rebuild. Has anyone done a rebuild on theirs ?
    Are you talking auto or manual?

You can't downshift into 1st when the vehicle is moving. The 1st gear in the manual CR-V is very low. You can only shift into 1st when standing still.

What kind of fluid did you use to replace with?
  • I have bought a second hand 2001 Honda CR-V EX with 100800 miles recently. On driving from stop position, there is a little squeak noise as if the transmission is slipping. I am not sure if the transmission fluid has been changed or not. Please suggest. Also should I take it for a major servicing. As such what all should I be worried about in an old car like this. i don't have the service records of this car, so don't know if the timing belt/water pump has been changed or not. Is there any way of knowing it. Can I get the service records of this car somehow? Please suggest
    Thanks.
    If it were serviced at a Honda Dealer, they may be able to look up the records in the datbase. Otherwise, assume that nothing has been done and people are selling because they don't want to deal with repairs.

Tranny fluid has to be Honda ATF Z-1 only.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,550
    Why only ATF Z-1? Someone in Edmunds Answers wants to know. (Is there anything special about Honda brand transmission fluid?).

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

It a proprietary formulation made by Showa. It has been shown that use of other "compatible" fluids results in slippage and failure.
    Thanks. Since you didn't head over there and post, I'm going to quote you. :)

And the break-in oil? Is that special too, or does Honda just want you to leave the initial oil in during their recommended break-in period?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• This discussion started with a ques from a guy who couldn't hear a noise his wife claimed she could. My husb also c annot hear car noises that our daughter & I can--he also spent too many years at rock concerts and loud basement frat parties, and now has serious loss of higher ranges in his hearing--he is nearly at the point where he buys hearing aids.

So, no offense intended to anyone, but if your family is hearing noises that you can't, if you are hitting middle age and heard too much noise in earlier years, they might be right!
    Thanks. Since you didn't head over there and post, I'm going to quote you.

And the break-in oil? Is that special too, or does Honda just want you to leave the initial oil in during their recommended break-in period?

Sorry, I didn't realize I was supposed to post there. But, feel free to copy and paste.

the break-in oil has been shown to have high Moly content, similar to High Mileage oils. It could be molybdenium from the assembly grease, or high moly content oil by formulation. That is unclear.
    Thanks!

• motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    More than likely, high moly content is from the assembly lube. Quite a bit goes in there.
  • I own a '99 CRV (original owner) with 76,000 miles. I am going to have the automatic transmission serviced. The local Honda dealer offers drain and fill, or flush and fill which is $100 higher than drain and fill. The service writer said the first option replaces only about 33% of the old fluid while the flush option will replace almost 100%. Is this worth the extra $100?
    I own a '99 CRV (original owner) with 76,000 miles. I am going to have the automatic transmission serviced. The local Honda dealer offers drain and fill, or flush and fill which is $100 higher than drain and fill. The service writer said the first option replaces only about 33% of the old fluid while the flush option will replace almost 100%. Is this worth the extra $100?

I would stay away from this particular Honda dealer. Honda specifically warns its dealers not to flush fluids, but perform triple "drain-fill-drive" procedure to replace 99% of the fluid.

This dealer obviously not following the manufacturer's recommendations. Flushing Hondamatic will certainly ensure shortned service life.
  • Thanks for the info.
  • I have a '98 CRV with over 110,000 miles and the transmission is shifting hard. What are the typical diagnosis with my my model and its transmission? A mechanic suggests replacing the whole transmission, but really??

:cry:
    I have a '98 CRV with over 110,000 miles and the transmission is shifting hard. What are the typical diagnosis with my my model and its transmission? A mechanic suggests replacing the whole transmission, but really??

What kind of fluid is in there, and when was it last replaced?
  • The trans fluid was exchanged about a year ago at JiffyLube.
  • The trans fluid was exchanged about a year ago at JiffyLube.

That may be the root cause fo the problem... especially if they flushed the transmission which is not recommended. Only drain and refill,.. multiple times if needed, but Honda warns against flushing.

I also doubt that they used the recommended Honda spec fluid, just cheap generic off the shelf ATF. The additive packages and specifications are different, so it can make a difference.
    The trans fluid was exchanged about a year ago at JiffyLube

BINGO!!!!

Like motoguy said, chances are that JiffyLube power flushed the tranny which is not recommended by Honda. There is even a higher chance that they used something other than HONDA ATF Z-1 fluid, which is the only fluid acceptable for use in a Honda Automatic.

You can try and remedy the problem by replacing the fluid with HONDA ATF Z-1, which you would have to buy from the Dealership parts counter.

You will need to purchase enough for 3 fluids replacements. It will cost about $5/quart, depending on where you live prices may be higher or lower.

Drain the old fluid. Fill with new. Drive 5-10 miles. Drain. Fill with new. Drive. Drain. Fill with new. and PRAY that the damage to the clutch packs is not extensive. If it is, then you can try and sue JiffyLube, but you better get a number in line of all the people suing JiffyLube for damages.

Or you can pay the Honda dealer to perform "Triple fluid replacement" if they offer power flush, RUN!!!!!

Good luck!
  • The Honda CRV had the trans fluid replaced at the Honda dealership ...my wife tells me. :surprise:

What do you think of exploring these possibilities prior to transmission replacement?

- low level? fluid.
    - transmission control module needs fixing?
    - transmission mount and motor mount secure?
  • Bought new-Automatic, has 79000 hwy miles now. Vibration at 42mph for 15-20 seconds; let off gas or speed up;stops. Must go 40mph or 45; no in between. Few days ago started shudders/vibrattion when taking off slow at reaching 20mph for 15-20 seconds (i.e., school zone). Tires all checked out ok; rotated/balanced. Routine maintenance all checked out. Honda dealer has no idea without paying for diagnostics ($$$). Friend thinks bearing(s)??? (This soon?) Entire vehicle shudders when this happens. Getting worse quick. Help!
  • My best guess would be motor mounts. See if the vibration occurs at a certain RPM. 40-45mph is where the transmission goes into 5th gear but is runn as low at 1200-1500RPM.

at 20mph, the engine will go to 3rd gear and again, run at only 1200-1500RPM.

I would bet that the same would occur at around 25-30mph when it goes to 4th gear but would still be running below 1500RPM.

The other possiblility is that the torque converter is locking up, when it should be partially unlocked. This could cause excessive loads on the engine at very low RPM's. If this is the case, disconnectign the battery terminals to reset the ocmputer, might clear it up, since the ECU may have to retrain it's shift points and torque converter lock-up parameters.