Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe No Start problems

Comments

• myburbmyburb Posts: 2
    My '07 burb is having same issues....I've complained for months about the "extended crank" which occurs. For months they have said..the truck has to give a code regarding the issue....I dont care about this damn code I HAVE AN ISSUE!!! its BS that they have to wait for the "truck" to diagnose itself

Its in the shop today for an oil change and again...I'm complaining about the lag time in starting! After reading all these blogs I called the manager back and said I have some suggestions...turns out they have finally figured out why its having issues.....FUEL PUMP MODULE is bad. Thank heavens!! fix the damn thing its irritating me!!! We'll see if this works...now lets just hope extended warranty covers the cost!
  • alanrsalanrs Posts: 25
    Sounds ever so much like the fuel pump failed. You may be able to borrow a fuel pressure tester from a local auto parts store to be sure. Likely since you posted your inquiry 6 weeks ago you already have an answer and a solution. Sorry for the late reply.
  • bill4519bill4519 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Z71 Tahoe 4X4 with 151,000 miles. I love it but it's driving me crazy. For the last 6 weeks it just sometimes doesn't start. I get in turn the key and dead silence. All my dash light go on like they should, but nothing. I wait 5 minutes and bingo it starts just fine. It is so hit and miss that it's really frustrating. The dealership replaced the ignition switch, but that didn't help. It will start fine for a week, then one day, nothing. Sometimes it won't start for 10 tries, then on the 11th, it starts. Sometimes nothing for 20 tries then on the 21st it starts. Then it starts for 25 straight times. you never know what you are going to get. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks
    Just read some of the other threads and posts in this forum, and you'll find several options to investigate towards a solution with your Tahoe.
  • ckm10517ckm10517 Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Suburban with $125000 miles. For the past 2 years, I have been dealing with cold start issues, if the truck sits for more than 24 hours. Have it towed to the shop and it will start just fine for them (done this 3-4 times). Replaced the battery last year and it seemed to solve the problem, but it has crept back up again. When the mechanic gets the truck and does not give any codes on the computer. Truck chug, chug, chugs, but won't fire. Happened 2x in the past 3 weeks. Any suggestions?
  • I have a 2001 Tahoe 4x4 SUB. I get in turn the key and dead silence. All my dash light is looks OK, but nothing. I tried to start many times then I gave up.
    After 3-4weeks, I tried to start, bingo! it was fine. After 2-3weeks, it won;t start again. I wait 2-3weeks and start it. Sometime it won't start, Then it start again after 2-3weeks. Does anyone have any idea?
    Thanks
  • This sounds so much like a corroded connection to me, that will not pass the major current required by the starter drive. It may also be the starter solenoid. Disconnect the battery first, then clean all of the connections where the large cables meet their destination: Ground to the block, hot wire to the starter. While you are at it, look at the short cable that runs from the starter to the solenoid. That one, which is part of the starter assembly, was frayed and corroded on my Suburban, and the symptoms were the same as yours, except that once it failed, it would not start at all.
  • I had similar issues with my suburban. My gut told me that the issue was the fuel pump. My fuel gauge hadn't read the proper fuel level in years and only became worse. The pump was the issue, but not because it was broken. It was manufactured improperly. One of the polished rods was missing a spring. There are two of them. Without both springs, the device will not slide up and down properly and eventually wears out the rod. So much so that the rod with the spring had a visible missing area from the rubbing where it was hanging up">. This is the Chevy way. I wonder how many more of these defective pos's are on the road. I'd like to attach a photo but don't know how. After the replacement of the pump, my fuel gauge works properly and my gas mileage has improved.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,046
    edited September 2012
    From the Help link at the bottom:

To add a photo to your Forum post, first click the “Img” button beneath the text box; this inserts the beginning of the standard HTML tag for an image. Next, add the URL of the photo, e.g. http://url-location/photo.jpg (Note: the photo needs to have been uploaded to a photo hosting service in order to have a URL.) Finally, click the “Img” button again to insert the end of the standard HTML tag for an image. When you post your message, the photo will be included.

Please note that very large photos (dimensions or file size) may cause our pages to render poorly and will be removed by the host.

If you need a place to park your photos, Flickr and Photobucket are popular hosting services but there are dozens more, and many are free.
  • This weekend our 2007 Tahoe wouldn't start. I tried jumping it and nothing happened. I replaced the battery thinking that had to be the problem (it was still the original). Nothing happened, not even the sound of the fuel pump or starter, just a single click. I decided to research and found this site along with another one about no starting problems and found the common thread was the mention of the TSB 07033b and the problem with the BCM. I went to the dealer today and the BCM was indeed replaced ($600 ouch!). We'll see if it resolves the problem long term. It was disappointing to hear that something that is known to cause this problem isn't part of a recall. However if I never have the problem again I'll be happy I found the answer here....thanks
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    Keep us posted on whether the replacement of the BCM resolves the starting problems you had been having. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN in the initial communication).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Has your problem been fixed? I have an 08 suburb with same issue. Already replaced the battery. Not interested in playing the "lets fix this, then this, then this game with dealer". I have heard of Neg and/or Pos battery cable being the issue. Today it started acting up. Negative battery cable was very hot to the touch. I don't know if this is normal or not.
    It is not normal for a cable to get hot, even during repeated attempts to start a vehicle. The starter motor will of course get quite hot with repeated use over a short time interval. Electrically speaking, heat is the result of resistance to flow that is in excess of the carrying capacity of the wire. You can pretty easily see that in automobiles there are cables and wires of many different gauges. Each one is sized to carry a specific amount of electrical current.

A high amperage cable such as the one used for the main connection between the battery and the block (negative or ground) or between the battery and the starter solenoid (positive) is big for a reason: It has to carry the full power of the battery. On most cars, the starter motor requires a higher flow of current than any other device. Even when the starter is not engaged, electrical current for all other accessories such as headlights, computers, climate control, etc. flows through the cables.

A hot cable indicates that it is defective. If it is hot at one end, then the indication is for a problem with the connector being corroded or loose, either where it is attached to the cable, or where it attaches to the battery or other part.
  • steveqsteveq Posts: 14
    Did the dealer flash your BCM? After having the dealer flash my BCM and installing an OPTIMA yellow-top battery, my Tahoe has not had any problems since. It is unclear whether it was the flashed BCM, the new battery, or both that has actually resolved the problem, but I'm just glad it is finally fixed.
  • Thanks for the information on the cable. The negative and positive cables are as clean and as tight as they can be. To answer the other person no I have not had my BCM flashed by the dealer. After reading other blogs about people spending thousands on this problem with no resolution I am hoping to find out what the problem truly is so I can have it fixed the first time. If I might ask does anyone have an idea what the dealer charges to flash the BCM?
    gmlemon2,

If you had wanted for us to check into anything with your dealership (labor rates, even) we'd be happy to do so. Please send your request to us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (also include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your preferred dealership).

• steveqsteveq Posts: 14
    I don't think there was a charge for flashing the BCM. I think it was part of a recall, but not sure. I would contact your dealer and ask them.
  • Thanks Sarah,

Do you know if GM has issued a recall on this electrical problem.

On a seperate note, I have the I&L type windshield wipers. I heard there was a bulletin on replacing the I&L type with J-hook. do you know if this is true?

Thanks
    You're most welcome!

We can check your vehicle to see if there are any open recalls on it if you wanted to send us the last 8 digits of your VIN (email again is socialmedia@gm.com).

As the bulletins are intended for use by our technicians and as we're not technically trained in Customer Service, I am unable to discuss any TSBs at this time unfortunately.

• Thanks Sarah
    I sent my info to email address. New battery dead today. Something is draining it any help is appreciated