Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Towing/Trailer Hitch Questions

Comments

• jhschiffjhschiff Posts: 1
    My dealer had trouble finding what the package included. So they compared a Sienna with package to sienna without on adjacent lifts. The conclusion was that the package include an extra engine oil cooler ( not xmissin cooler), and that everything else was the same. In lieu of having the oil cooler, he suggested using synthetic oil which doesn't beak down at high temp.
  • I'm thinking about install a hitch on my 2010 Sienna. When I look under, the exhaust pipe is in the way on the right side. Will the frame slide in there, or I have to detach the pipe first? The pipe seems to be welded in place. No idea how to detach it.
  • Hi Airmanmj2001

Did you find solution ??????

I am in the same situation i just bought 2010 sienna LE and i need to add towing Hitch.

Not for towing purpose, i need it to protect my car from stupid drivers when they try to park/leave behind my car.

I had to repaint my BMW 325i bumper 2 times.
    the good thing that my insurance cover that.
    the bad thing, it will be registered in car carfax history.

Thank you for reading and advices

Tommy
  • No... But it looks to me there might be just enough room to just pull the pipe away to squeeze the frame in. At least from the hitch picture I was looking at, it seems so.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I installed one on my 98 Forester and had to remove an exhaust hook to do it (I put a jack under the muffler and lowered it slowly).

Just a thought but be very careful not to damage the exhaust.
  • I got a U-Haul 78270 installed myself today in 20 minutes or so. The predrilled holes line up pretty well. I slided the right side flank in first from above the tail end of the exhuast pipe without any problem, and then the left side. After that, all I had to do was to tighten up 6 bolts. That's a snap!
    How much did that cost you? I may do the same thing. Been debating it for a while.

How much ground clearance did you lose at the rear? Departure angle I mean.

Found it for $150 on-line, did that price include the wiring harness? Was that plug-n-play or did you have to splice wires?
  • You can buy it on eBay for $135 shipped. I didn't get the wiring harness, since for now I only got bikes to put on a hitchrack. I heard some folks had hard time installing other hitches (curt, etc.) because of the small margin of error for the predrilled holes, and uhaul one is the easiest to install. You don't lose much ground clearance either, since it won't be the lowest point of the undercarriage. I would admit though it certainly doesn't look as good as an OEM hitch, but that's what you expect from aftermarkets.
    Good price, though I'd want the wiring also. Did you ever find out how much extra that would cost?
  • aguerinaguerin Posts: 1
    Thanks for your info- I'm looking at purchasing the uhaul hitch you noted (78720)- what size bike rack can be used with it- the one I'm looking at says it converts from 2" to ! 1/4" easily. Haven't ordered anything yet- hoping to make sure sure the bike rack and trailer hitch work together first. Thanks to anyone who knows. Artie
  • Hello. This information is probably already on here somewhere, but here I go anyway.

I have a 98 Sienna and would like to know if it will handle towing a two horse trailer. I don't have a specific one in mind because I don't know if it will work.

I also would like to know whether it will be a job my husband would be able to do himself. He's handy, but not a Toyota tech.

Thanks for any information.
    Usually folks who tow that much get airbags to support the rear suspension. How heavy is it?
  • I don't know how much it weighs. I haven't decided on a trailer yet. We won't be hauling horses though. We raise Alpine Dairy goats. There would only be 4 or 5 in it at a time. I guess it would be up to 650 lbs. of goat. :)
    Doesn't sound like too big a load. Unless it's a big covered trailer or something.
  • I'm thinking of buying a 20' Lund fishing boat that has its own surge brakes on the trailer. Empty Boat & motor weigh 2180 lbs; add in 40 gallons of gas, trolling motor, 3 batteries, fishing equipment; it will probably be around 2500-2800 lbs. My hitch is rated for 3500 lbs with tongue weight of 350 lbs.

It's a Toyota 2004 Sienna AWD with factory installed Towing package. Can I pull this boat/motor/trailer without long-term damage to the van (48,000 miles) described above? It pulls the boat okay but it sure seems to work hard up and down hills.

Will additional items (air bags, etc.) help? Can they be added at home or what?
    I've heard air bags do help, but I haven't actually put on a hitch yet.

You're not at the limit so you may do fine without them. Plus you know they exist if you do end up needing them.
  • I need to hang a wheelchair lift on the rear of my 2010 Sienna. It DOES NOT have a towing package. Total weigth of lift and chair will be in 300-325 lb range. The manual states max tongue weight of 120 lbs without the tow package. Any ideas?Load levelers? Weight distribution hitch? The dealer seems clueless, and can't say if any change (hitch, levelers, WDH) will effect warranty.
    The tow package has oil coolers, I'm not sure if it'll matter if you're just adding 300 lbs to the tongue and not towing any trailer.

Just do this - subtract 300 lbs from your max payload capacity. If you do not exceed that, it should do just fine.

People who tow very heavy loads get air bags to keep the rear suspension level, but I'm not sure you'd even need those.
  • Looking to buy an ultra light travel trailer to pull with my 2002 V-6 Sienna. Am I being real? How heavy a trailer can I tow in safety?
  • I have a 2004 Sienna AWD with the towing package and just today I bought an 18' boat with a 150 hp Merc on it. I pulled it from near Des Moines to Mpls and everything went fine. The boat package would probably weigh in the neighborhood of 2300-2400 lbs. My towing specs are 3500 # tow weight and 350# tongue weight. Hope this helps.