Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Towing/Trailer Hitch Questions

13»

Comments

• hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Hi all - anyone know if the 2011s will take the same hitches as the 2009/2010s (ie the current Sienna hitches being sold in aftermarket)? I thought I read that the platform for the "new" Sienna is exactly the same as the last model - same exact wheelbase, etc - just the upper sheetmetal and stuff is different?
  • I've been doing quite a bit of research re the Sienna van/towing'hitch, etc as I
    wanted to hang a wheel chair lift on my 2010. The short answer to your question
    is "Yes", in my opinion. It seem Toyota routinely equipped the vans with the
    capability to haul anything up to 350 lb TONGUE weight until about 2008 or so,
    at which time they degreed 120 lbs. was the max tongue weight without the towing package installed. Two Toyota dealers and a pro mechanic have advised me the only difference in the with/without is the radiator and oil cooling upgrade, and the suspension is the same either way. I'd think your two restrictions would be the 350 lb tongue weight and the hitch capability. I'd install a Class III
    hitch as they cost about the same as a Class II. The Weight towing rating for
    the Class III is a total of 3500 lbs.. Class III has a 2" receiver and the II
    is 1.75", I believe. U-Haul installed my III for about $200, without the
    lighting connections. You can buy a custom connection kit (plug in connectors
    wit no cutting and splicing) online for about $35-40 from E Trailer and do the
    lights yourself. I think they even have a video you can watch of a guy doing
    the installation. U Haul wanted about $70 more to installation for the lights.
    An ultra light trailer should give you no problem.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    To add to that...

The reason for the change in 2008 is that the Tow Prep Package was standard on the 2007s. That was a little cost cutting they did.

Mine came ready to go, 350 lbs tongue weight straight from the factory.
  • i had a 2002 van, pulled a 16 ft double axle trailer (1500#) with about 500# load.
    300 miles,

Van pulled the trailer fine, I believe the 2002 models came with the tow package even if they did not come with a factory hitch.

the new model 08 etc: std models do not come with the tow package, it must be ordered when vehicle is ordered new.

you should have no problem but do get the trans oil flushed, I did it at 60k then again at 110k just look at oil and if it starts looking dirty get it flushed.
  • johnnytoyodajohnnytoyoda Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    i have a 2004 sienna....no tow package

i already have a reciever installed and wires...but...do not have the tow package IE:larger radiator, fans and HD alternator.

these are all to tow 3500 lbs...i am only going to tow about 1200-1500 lbs loaded...the popup is about 900lbs

do i need to install all this?

has anybody towed with a sienna that was not tow equiped?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You're out of warranty, so there's nothing to fear as far as voiding any powertrain warranty (unless you got an extended one?).

I think you'll be fine. The normal payload of a Sienna is 1200 lbs, so that's just a normal full load, basically.

The tow prep package was standard on my 2007 (happily).
  • I am shopping for a new 2013 Sienna to pull an open motorcycle trailer, GW about 1000 lbs.
    We are leaning toward XLE 8 passenger to get a power passenger seat for grandma, and occasionally haul the grandkids.

Salesman says the LE model requires a "Towing Prep" option, but that the XLE has it standard. Can anyone confirm this?

The Toyota website does not list the Towing Prep as standard on the XLE. It kind-of implys it by listing the Towing Prep as an option on the LE but not on the XLE.

etrailer shows a wiring harness that requires removing panels, running a wire all the way to the front for a battery connection, and then hanging the plug out under the rear hatch door. Is all that necessary if you have the Factory "Towing Prep".

My dealer does not have the Toyota receiver hitch in stock, and cannot supply good pictures of it installed. Anyone know how it looks hanging below the bumper cover?

And lastly, why have a tow prep option that does not include the receiver hitch?

Don
  • carlcs3carlcs3 Posts: 1
    How could I verify that our 2004 Sienna has the towing package?
  • raymeeraymee Posts: 1
    just signed on. 04 sienna, 18ft. rpod travel trailer, empty weight 2,300 lbs. towed in the mountains. As expected - lots of 3rd gear hills and a couple of second gears as well. Keep the revs to max 3800 or so and no problem. Sucked it out coming across the prairie and bucking a big wind. 3rd gear most of the way from Alberta to Manitoba - - 90k/hr, 3700 rpm Used no oil and tranny seems ok (has an after market cooler)
  • sbpceap1sbpceap1 Posts: 5
    I have watched videos on hooking up a tow hitch wiring harness to a 2012 Sienna. It is one of the most complicated and archaic setups I have seen. My 2003 Odyssey had a simple plug-in jack behind a body panel, and did not necessitate running a power wire under the vehicle from the tail lights all the way up to the battery. I notice that the 2013 Sienna has an electrical receptacle wrapped up at the bottom of the jack storage compartment. Did Toyota smarten up and finally add a simple receptacle for a tow harness?
    That would sure simplify things!!!
13»