Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler's New Lifetime Drivetrain Warranty

Comments

• im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    All that being said.....

I can't wait to see someone pull their 30 year old 300 into a Chrysler dealer in 2037 and get them to foot the bill for an engine and trans.. it would be comical.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,411
    Not to disagree ... cuz I think you got the facts right ...

... but it's not nice to dis Chrsyler's warranty on the basis that the covered components are unlikely to fail.
    This would be a GOOD thing.

The electrical stuff could be nasty, though, I agree. I also remember our '97 Nissan pickup... good truck, almost no issues... almost...

I remember breathing a sigh of relief the day the warranty ran out because I (i) didn't anticipate any real problems, and (ii) could now go find my own mechanic instead of having to go to the Nissan dealership and get the runaround for every little thing. Plus, these were the guys that overfilled my crankcase an extra quart and then some. Ugh.

The most important point that was made is that the way this warranty works, its unlikely to help with resale. OTOH, it's great if you need a high-mileage runner that you can keep for ten years and 300k miles. It'll be nice to have a new transmission installed at 120k and 240k... free of charge.

-Mathias
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I would never own a Chrysler, but perhaps lease one if I really loved the car, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Too much trouble, plus horrible resale value. Who knows, they are getting better.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The most important point that was made is that the way this warranty works, its unlikely to help with resale. OTOH, it's great if you need a high-mileage runner that you can keep for ten years and 300k miles. It'll be nice to have a new transmission installed at 120k and 240k... free of charge.

Here is the catch though, anything electrical involved in the trans is likely not covered (TCU, relay, solenoids, pumps, etc) So yeah they'll do the mechanical side of things on the trans gratis, but I guarantee that you won't get out without a bill of 2-3k even with the mechanical stuff being covered...

-mike
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I'm not so sure about the solenoid. It's electromechanical so it could be "borderline," i.e. it's mostly mechanical and uses simple electrical current to push it.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Let me pre-face this with the fact I am not a Chrysler fan. Duh......

Who cares about the stuff thats not covered, the fact that they have stepped up and offered this is tremendous. lets say you have 143K miles on your car and the engine fails. Without the warranty you flip the whole bill, right? With the warranty lets say that the warranty covers $3800 worth of your $4500 bill. That is huge.

I hoep Ford does the same thing. Another thing it does for the consumer is it makes the Extended Service Contract prices go down. When Ford started the 5yr/60 PT satandard warranty the average price of my extended service contract prices dropped around $300-400 dollars.

When the Focus went to 5yr 100K it dropped there prices $395.

If Chryslers Power train Warranty is the same as Fords here is what it cover.

Engine
    All internal lubricated parts
    Block
    Heads
    Flywheel
    Manifold
    Oil Pan
    Oil Pump
    Seals and Gaskets
    Thermostat
    Thermostat Housing
    Timing Chain Cover
    Timing Chain (Gears or Belt)
    Turbocharger/Supercharger factory installed
    Valve Covers
    Water Pump

Transmission
    All internal parts
    Seals and Gaskets
    Torque Converter
    Transfer case
    Transmission Case

Rear Wheel Drive
    Axel Shafts
    Bearings
    Drive Axel Housing
    Drive Shaft
    Retainers
    Seals and Gaskets
    Universal and Constant Velocity Joints

Front Wheel Drive
    Axel Shafts
    Bearings
    Final Drive housing
    Hubs
    Locking Rings
    Seals and Gaskets
    Universal and Constant Velocity Joints
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,057
    I'm still not "getting" this argument...if in fact this warranty serves that smaller than average percentage of people who keep a car beyond 5.4 years, and then the even further small percentage of that less-than-average number who will have a major driveline failure at some point beyond 5.4 years, and that this warranty does NOT serve second owners.....well then, the big question is:

How is this supposed to help Chrysler sell more cars and stay in business?

An engine blowing up at 143K is the ideal situation for an automaker....the car is pretty damn tired anyway, the owner can't complain after all those miles of use, and it's a great excuse for the owner to buy another new car.

My two cents? This warranty is ill-conceived if you sit down and think it through to the longterm.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,563
    "...if they equip all their vehicles with Slant Sixes or 318 V-8s mated to Tourqueflite trannies..."

Boy, that's a blast from the past. My first car was a 1969 Plymouth automatic with the 318. I can't begin to tell you the abuse I put that car through. Burn outs, drop patching, skidding, you name it. I managed to blow out third gear at well over 100K, got it fixed for $189 and continued to beat that poor car for another 50K miles.

When I finally sold it for $100 years later it had a busted motor mount so if you gunned it, the engine would lift up, bang on the hood and pull the power steering hose loose. Made for some very interesting rides.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

How is this supposed to help Chrysler sell more cars and stay in business?

Perception. They can now say they have the best warranty of any one. Up until this happend that was Hyundai's calling card.
    Seems to me that to be swayed out of one make of car into another, consumers want something they can take to the bank right here, right now....that's either discounts, better quality, better resale....something more than the tempting but rather airy concept of "perception", don't you think?

I mean you can take long warranties two ways: That the product is very good for them to stand behind it so long, or that it's really bad and we'll do anything to get you to buy one.

Long warranties didn't help Mitsubishi very much for instance.

Long warranties didn't help Mitsubishi very much for instance.

The business practices of the average Mitsubishi Dealership is what has killed Mitsubishi.

How can you all say this is a bad thing. I would love to have it in my tool box.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    As joel also stated, this is simply a marketing ploy to sell more cars. BTW, most consumers won't sit down and analyze this warranty like you and many others on this board have done. It has nothing to do with demonstrating their confidence in the quality of their vehicles. Why would you introduce it on July 27th (end of model year)? Wouldn't you do it with the new model year? Or better yet, make it retro-active for all 2007 vehicles?

Chrysler has to move cars. period. They have launched a few vehicles that are suppose to be their volume leaders to lukewarm receptions. They are trying to avoid what happened last year when thousands of Durangos and Cherokees sat in parking lots outside the factory.

Their business managers did the math as you did and determined they could offer this warranty without risking much. It still does not replace the fact that their lineup, and more importantly, their profits are still heavily based on SUVs and pickups. They have no fuel efficient vehicle to market. Getting 30 mpg highway in a compact car is not cutting it. Personally, I would not buy a Chrysler. Not a fan of the high beltline styling of the 300c and Charger. And none of their other cars remotely appeal to me. Although the new minivan could peak my interest in a few years even though i question the need for 3 engine choices.
    I understand your argument and the logic of it...I just don't think it will sell more cars. I don't see HOW it could actually sell more cars.

Of course, I'm just speculating, but something tells me this is a case of someone being TOO clever...or maybe the law of diminishing returns, as in "one is good, two is better, four is really better, etc".

Well maybe not. Maybe warranty periods have an optimum that should not be exceeded?

AND (this is a dark thought :shades: )....have you thought about what happens to the lifetime guarantee if Chrysler folds or is sold and morphed into another company?

It is not a bad thing. It's just not as good as Chrysler is making it out to be. Personally, i hope all auto manufacturers do this so we can end all of these marketing ploys.

For some reason the the struggling auto makers seem to have forgotten that if you make solid, reliable and appealing cars, the American public will buy it. Heck look at the Fusion. It's nothing more then a second generation Mazda 6. All Ford did was look at the shortcomings of the very good Mazda 6 and apply it to the Fusion. If they could somehow improve the I-4 power and fuel efficiency to match the Camry, Accord and Altima, they would have hit a homerun. But a stand-up double isn't too bad. The Fusion sells well (until last month) because it is a solid, reliable and decent looking car. Still not as good as the Accord or Camry but there are enough sales in this segment for the Fusion. No need for a gimmick marketing like the "Lifetime Warranty". Build a good car and the people will come (where have I heard that before).
    Build a good car and the people will come (where have I heard that before).
    :D :D
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    This thread is starting to remind me of the dealer for life thread... Dealer for Life

What happens when Chrysler is sold to new owners and changes their name to Dhrysler?

I can see it now...

[Conan O'Brian Year 2000 Voice]

IN THE YEAR 2020

[/Conan O'Brian Voice]

Customer goes into the new Dhrysler dealership to have his 300C engine replaced.

Service Manager says oh I am sorry we aren't Chrysler Corporation anymore we are the Dhrysler Corporation we sell Codges, Dhyrslers and Peeps.
    I kinda view it as an act of desperation, quite frankly.

• nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    so criticized if Honda or Toyota had come out with this warranty?????????? I doubt it!!!! They did it, give them their due respect, even if it is a marketing tool. They did it!!!!! Period.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    If that lifetime warranty were to be tranferrable to a second owner, it might help Chrysler's dismal resale value.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,189
    ...this idea would work for me if I bought a Chrysler. I tend to keep my cars for a much longer time than average.
    How did Honda and Toyota get into this discussion??? But to answer your question, yes they would (or at least I would). Of course they are increasing sales.
    No then there would have been a parade down 5th ave touting there great customer service and a bunch of babble about this being just one more reason why they are so great blah, blah, blah, blah.

Then some one here would have said that it does not matter because Hondas never break, blah blah blah :D
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Posts: 1,060
    Thank you, joel0622. I wholeheartedly agree with your statement.
    I understand your sentiment but are you looking at the facts here? How can you compare Chrysler to Toyota in terms of success around the world? One company is on its knees and the other is riding high. Why would they both do the same thing anyway?

I swear to you I wouldn't change a word of what I said if Toyota announced a lifetime warranty (not that they ever will)---it's an ill-founded idea in principle, in my opinion, and I don't see it doing any automaker any good in the long run.

What's next? Warranty after death?

• hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    I bought a NEW 2006 Toyota Sienna LE after owning a 2002 Chrysler T&C LX.

The Toyota Sienna is a BIG, overpriced disappointment. The Sienna is NO better than the less expensive T&C...contrary to the hype touted by too many "self appointed experts". :sick:

The Sienna advantages are overshadowed by the Sienna disadvantages when compared to the T&C.
    I guess the biggest surprise to me on this is the amount of money they paid out in Global Warranty Claims last year.
    Are you ready for this figure

In 2006 Chrysler paid $6.1 Billion in global warranty claims. Now keep in mind that also cover Mercedes and DC's commercial truck unit. But that is still quite a chunk of change. That is also right at $2 billion more then GM or FLM. That is definitely a category you do not want to be #1 in
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Wonder how much of that was Mercedes. Late model Mercs have been hammered with reliability problems.

Oh and where do you get that data is it in a industry trade paper or something?
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Posts: 1,828
    The Sienna is NO better than the less expensive T&C...contrary to the hype touted by too many "self appointed experts".

And one of the executives that I work with is in negotiations with Chrysler on a buy-back of his 2006 T&C that has been in the dealership a minimum of a dozen times on various issues. And the T&C isn't exactly inexpensive - what close to $30k with all the gadgets.
    It came from Automotive News. That is the best trade publication we get.

The story went on to say:

GM $4.46 Billion

FMC $4.10 Billion

TMC $2.37 Billion

They quote Warranty Weekly as the source
  • millspdmillspd Posts: 106
    this is anecdotal, but I have been disappointed with the interior build quality of our two 2005 Sienna CEs in our fleet at work. Interior trims pieces seem to come loose awfully easy.

We also have a 2001 Odyssey in our fleet with over 130K that feels much more solid than the two Toyotas.
This discussion has been closed.